Start by marking “The Body: A Guide for Occupants” as Want to Read:
The Body: A Guide for Occupants

The Body: A Guide for Occupants

In the bestselling, prize-winning A Short History of Nearly Everything, Bill Bryson achieved the seemingly impossible by making the science of our world both understandable and entertaining to millions of people around the globe.

Now he turns his attention inwards to explore the human body, how it functions and its remarkable ability to heal itself. Full of extraordinary
Published October 15th 2019 by Doubleday Books

To ask other readers questions about The Body, please sign up.
Avid The advanced readers edition contains the following general subjects. These are subject to change before publication, though.
How to build a human
Diseases
Cancer
Medicine
Death(less)
Erica Strand Like you, I would want to encourage my kid's interests as much as possible and there are definitely aspects of the book that could be interesting and…moreLike you, I would want to encourage my kid's interests as much as possible and there are definitely aspects of the book that could be interesting and thought-provoking for an inquisitive 7-year-old. As a whole, I would not recommend a cover to cover reading as some of the content is gruesome and cringe-worthy, even for a fully adult person interested in gruesome and cringe-worthy subjects. I know my 7-year-old brain would not have been equipped to deal with some of the content. Good luck, future Dr. mom! Have fun however you decide to guide your daughter's learning! (less)

Start your review of The Body: A Guide for Occupants
Theresa Alan
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I learned so much from this book. One of the things I learned was that continuing to learn and keeping my brain active will help me avoid dementia, so you should read this book, too. I flagged many, many pages, so I’ll just offer a few highlights here.

The most interesting thing was reading about our skin, the tiny tiny layer that we makes us white or black or brown. Bryson watched a surgeon incise and peel back a sliver of skin a millimeter thick from the arm of cadaver. It was so thin it was
Matthew
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those with no fear of their own mortality
The definition of a “well” person?
Someone who hasn’t been examined yet

(loosely quoted from the book)

This book is two things:
- Really interesting trivia about the human body
- Terrifying

I love trivia, and this book had tons of it. This was not a deeply scientific analysis of the human body. It is just snippets and brief anecdotes from various regions of the body as Bryson takes you on a journey through our innerspace. If you are not into big fancy words and meandering analysis, then you need not
Jenna
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How to make a human body:

Blend together the right amount of each of 59 elements, at a cost of US$151,578.46 according to the Royal Society of Chemistry.

~Or~

If you don't have that kind of money lying about, you can also do it the old-fashioned way that involves heterosexual sex. I'm not here to judge your methods; make a human whichever way you please. What I am here to do is tell you that Bill Bryson has done it again! He has written yet another brilliant and vastly interesting book, this time
Betsy
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Be a bar trivia champion!
Want to dominate any biology questions at bar trivia?

The Body: A Guide for Occupants has you covered! For those of us who haven't had a biology class since we fulfilled some course requirement ages ago, Bryson gives an excellent overview of what doctors and scientists know about all our different body parts and bodily functions.

This book does for biology what books like Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong or A People's History
Trevor
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, science, medicine
I like Bryson, his books are often amusing and informative. He has a good eye for details that will keep the reader engaged or outraged or just smile. This is a tour of the human body, but it includes stories and asides about people associated with the discovery of various diseases or a cure or a system in the body. Some books on this topic can get a bit carried away with long names for parts that involve endless Latin or Greek. A nice thing he does here when he does give these is to say what ...more
Brandon Forsyth
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I either laughed, shook my head in wonder, or did both on every page. This is Bryson at his best, and it should be handed out at birth.
Trish
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Until now, I only knew Bill Bryson for his snarky travelogues. My buddy-reader, however, informed me that his non-fiction book was very good indeed. Besides, many biology books suffer from the fact that their authors are great scientists but horrible writers. So I wanted to read something that had the potential to be entertaining as well as educational.

The book is divided into these chapters:

And yes, we did get a little bit of humour, but that wasn't because Bryson made fun of certain things,
Karen Rush
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bill Bryson’s trademark humor is evident in this fascinating book that provides detailed descriptions of the body, how things function and history of discovery. A big takeaway is that although there have been great strides in what we know about science and medicine, he makes it clear just how much is still unknown about how and why things work.

This book would be perfect to serve as a primer for a high school health and wellness course. Thanks to Doubleday Books for the ARC in exchange for my
Bradley
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For all of you other cyborgs and pure artificial intelligences out there, I should mention that this is a rather interesting primer on regular meat-sacks. It even has the distinction of not being science fiction at all.

But as the title suggests, outright occupancy usually comes with a rental charge. The bill always comes due.

I've read a few Brysons before... and my favorite has got to be A Short History of Nearly Everything. This one, from a regular knowledge-gathering stand, comes in as a tight
Sonja Arlow

This is like A Short History of Nearly Everything but for the body.

Had I not read so many medical books and watched endless hours of QI I would have given this a MUCH higher rating but because of this prior knowledge some sections felt like deja vu.

The scope of the book is impressive, Bill does not leave any stone (or rather muscle, cell, bacteria or organ) unexplored.

I also learned enough fascinating trivia which I plan to spring on unsuspecting friends at inappropriate times for my
Snooty1
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even for someone with a science/ medical background this was PHENOMENAL!
What an absolutely interesting and eye opening adventure into our bodies; and told in such a entertaining way!!!
Recommend for ANYONE and EVERYONE

Thanks to netgalley and Doubleday books for providing me with a copy of this book for my honest review.
Olive
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: medical
See my review on booktube: https://youtu.be/vX_ZVCxF-XA
Bam cooks the books ;-)
"I didn't know that!"--the phrase most often used by me as I read this book.

Bill Bryson explores what makes up the human body from head to toe, from birth to death, with his trademark wit and wisdom. He delves into how a healthy body functions and what can go wrong, how medicines and treatments have evolved over the years, discussing which scientists and doctors made important discoveries that benefitted humanity and which crackpot theories were eventually debunked. Best advice for living a
Toni
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-2019
A casual readable guide for the ‘common man,’ (you know I mean person). Reading through this book by Bill Bryson, is like talking to your favorite uncle at the Thanksgiving table, after everyone else went to watch the football game. You and he are nibbling dessert, sipping coffee and just chatting about the human body. That’s how easy the writing flows.
So far from any textbook, it contains valuable facts yet it’s not overly technical. The categories or elements of the vast network that contains
Nursebookie
"THE BODY" by Bill Bryson.

Did you ever think you ever needed an owner's manual for our complex body? I think this was a brilliant idea!! We live in this body that we are so intimate with and yet could hardly speak of what goes on inside or tell us the functions of the organs we have, nor even name them, Bryson took a Biology Book, that is the last thing I ever want, and turned it to an amazing book that I cannot keep my hands away from.

Converting a daunting and boring science book into an
Brian Clegg
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of Bill Bryson's travel books - he is a superb storyteller, and in the best parts of his science writing, this ability to provide fascinating facts and intriguing tales shines through.

After taking on the whole of science in his first book, here he focuses in on the physiology, anatomy and diseases of the human body. Bryson does so with his usual light, approachable style, peppering the plethora of facts (and 'don't know's - it's amazing how much we still don't know about the
Gretchen Rubin
A delightful, fascinating book all about the body.
Julie
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A truly amazing compendium on the human body aka "a warm wobble of flesh!" Truly engaging and enlightening. Occasionally I wanted to fast forward to avoid the details, but mainly I was truly engaged, appalled or enthralled!

My personal favorite of Bill Bryson's anecdotal stories:
The emergency appendectomy on a US submarine during WWII. The ship's pharmacist assistant was ordered to operate without any knowledge or equipment, as he as was the senior medical personnel on board. This is a little
Emma
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, science
The fact that I was a) able to read a science book and b) find it interesting, is a testimony to Bill Bryson and his ability to make just about anything entertaining and understandable.
Indieflower
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bill Bryson is so good at this stuff, imparting incredibly interesting information in a light, conversational tone that's easy to digest. Fascinating, informative, somewhat alarming and horrifying at times - such as the case of Fanny Burney, who in 1810 at the age of 58, underwent a radical mastectomy without anaesthesia, she not only lived long enough afterwards to write a detailed, stomach churning account of her ordeal but went on to survive another 29 years. I found it somewhat unsettling to ...more
Ryan Boissonneault
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you’d like to learn more about how the body works but don’t want to read textbooks on human anatomy and physiology, this is the book for you. As Bryson writes, “We pass our existence within this warm wobble of flesh and yet take it entirely for granted.” We are the product of three billion years of evolutionary refinement, a biological machine of unimagined complexity, and yet most of us can’t even identify where the spleen is, or what it does.

If this book doesn’t pique your interest in how
Kelly
A fascinating look at the human body. This would definitely be a good one for readers who have wanted to better understand what happens inside us but who might be intimidated by real "science-y" books.

I will say: Bryson is still a 60+ year old white man and that shows in some of how he approaches stuff in here, and his inability to humanize fat bodies or the weaknesses of "overweight" as the factor in many illnesses is a bit embarrassing.

Mehrsa
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great Bryson book. It goes through every part of the body and explains some bits of history of understanding and bits of modern science—all with humor and wit.
Peter Tillman
Nature's mini-review:
"From skin to gut, the human body is a realm of wonder, and Bill Bryson’s tome explores it to its thrumming depths. The book bristles with data such as our allotment of cells (37.2 trillion) or daily faeces production (200 grams), but the star turns are Bryson’s wry forays into the histories of neuroscience, genetics, anatomy and immunology. Cue visceral gems such as diarist Samuel Pepys’s gruesome bladder-stone surgery, and US physician Chevalier Quixote Jackson’s retrieval
Tanja Berg
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the first Bill Bryson I have read in a while. I was hoping it would be something like "A Short History of Nearly Everything" which was truly delightful and informative. This is captivating, has the latest scientific results and is very informative - but only very occasionally funny. If you want to brush up your highschool human biology, this is a very effective way to do it.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading, and learned a lot from, Bryson's latest release, which meanders chapter-by-chapter through advances in medical knowledge around various human body systems and processes. However, I'm not sure that it's quite at the same level for bringing the layperson up to speed as his previous title A Short History of Nearly Everything.
I was particularly struck by the number of medical and scientific pioneers who have never been widely recognised for their accomplishments, or at
Angie Boyter
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally rate or review a book before I finish it, but I gotta tell people about this delightful and informative book! It is quintessential Bill Bryson, at his best, full of humor, history, and LOADS of information about the body, all kinds of things you often wondered about (like how long food stays in your stomach or your intestines) or never thought about at all, like ow many times a day you blink (14,000). The research he clearly did for the book is extremely impressive, and I'll bet ...more
Carol
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I could, I would give this book UNLIMITED STARS!! Do you want to know everything about the human body without reading an unintelligible, dry text book? This is it!! I could not put this book down even to eat or go to bed. There is no way you can read this book and still not believe there is a creator or want to get rid of that little life inside of his/her mother. Life is a miracle and so unbelievably complicated and perfect that it still cannot be understood by human beings -- only lived.

~☆~Autumn♥♥
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Not recommended. If you want to read something about health find another book. This is just overall depressing. The End at the last was especially a downer. I finished much before I expected as about the last 100 pages are his notes. I really enjoy most of his books so this was a surprise to me!
Avid
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very informative and in-depth look at what the heck our bodies are/do. It explores disease and really cool capabilities and phenomena, in addition to just your regular functions. It’s not exactly bryson-humorous, but it does have a bit lighter tone for a science book. With bryson’s established quality/brand, this should be an easy handsell.

• Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know about the People We Don't Know
  • How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems
  • The End Is Always Near: Apocalyptic Moments, from the Bronze Age Collapse to Nuclear Near Misses
  • Outgrowing God: A Beginner’s Guide
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? Big Questions from Tiny Mortals About Death
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Permanent Record
  • Gotta Get Theroux This: My Life and Strange Times on Television
  • More from Less: The Surprising Story of How We Learned to Prosper Using Fewer Resources—and What Happens Next
  • Dishonesty is the Second-Best Policy: And Other Rules to Live By
  • Truth: A Brief History of Total Bullsh*t
  • Kindness and Wonder: Why Mister Rogers Matters Now More Than Ever
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of September 11, 2001
  • The Mosquito: A Human History of Our Deadliest Predator
William McGuire "Bill" Bryson, OBE, FRS was born in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1951. He settled in England in 1977, and worked in journalism until he became a full time writer. He lived for many years with his English wife and four children in North Yorkshire. He and his family then moved to New Hampshire in America for a few years, but they have now returned to live in the UK.

In The Lost Continent,
“Just sitting quietly, doing nothing at all, your brain churns through more information in thirty seconds than the Hubble Space Telescope has processed in thirty years. A morsel of cortex one cubic millimeter in size—about the size of a grain of sand—could hold two thousand terabytes of information, enough to store all the movies ever made, trailers included, or about 1.2 billion copies of this book.” 4 likes
“The most remarkable part of all is your DNA. You have a metre of it packed into every cell, and so many cells that if you formed all the DNA in your body into a single fine strand it would stretch ten billion miles, to beyond Pluto.8 Think of it: there is enough of you to leave the solar system. You are in the most literal sense cosmic.” 4 likes