Start by marking “What We Want (Human Nature, #1)” as Want to Read:
What We Want (Human Nature, #1)

What We Want

(Human Nature #1)

What happens when you meet the love of your life in your mother’s kitchen, while helping your aunt to hide from her ex?

Rob’s life finished five years ago. Now he’s just waiting for it to end. Safe in his little cocoon, disconnected from everyone, he’s living out the rest of his days. And he's content with that.
Until one February day life decides to smack him over the
Published February 28th 2019

To ask other readers questions about What We Want, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What We Want

Start your review of What We Want (Human Nature, #1)
Dean Cole
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet romance blossoms between a younger gay man and an autistic older widower in this beautifully written tale by Eliott Griffen. I was instantly pulled in by the backstory revealed at the funeral (I love me some family drama and backstory!) I really liked Rob and seeing his internal struggle/thoughts around falling for a guy for the first time and couldn't help but love Zach, who is a genuinely sweet and likeable character.
Griffen, who must be an empath, has the ability to portray raw
Clyde Andrews
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"What We Want" by Elliot Griffen is the story of Zach, a young man returning home after his life has fallen apart, and Rob, a middle-aged man trying to repair a broken life after the death of his wife and child five years ago.

Yay, after a couple of dud books, I am once again on track with my reading loveliness. This one was a page-turner and I loved it.

Well, to be more precise, I just fell so much in love with Zach and especially Rob. Wow, these two were just beautiful together, their love for
N. Jacobs
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What We Want is a refreshingly beautiful romance between two compelling characters, Zach, a gay man, and Rob, who was previously married but has never been with a man before and is on the autistic spectrum. Reading this story, I could acutely feel the deep love they have for each other. The sex scenes are gorgeous, moving, and super hot. This one will make your heart smile.
Tjpayne
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
What a beautiful love story. Once I started reading this book, I couldn't stop -- I read it in one sitting. It definitely pulled on my heart quite a few times.

The story mainly centers around Rob and Zach, who are each at quite different points in their lives. However, events beyond their control push them together. A slow burn romance begins, and the story has all the tension, mounting attraction, delicious push, pull and euphoria that comes with new love.

I don't feel I can say too much about
Roberta Blablanski
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an emotional ride! I loved the slow burn between Rob and Zach, and how they really got to know each other before FINALLY admitting their feelings. There are some complicated personal issues each are dealing with that influence their journey and make their relationship all the more special. I'm looking forward to the next installment of their story.
D. G. Alan
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is my absolute favorite kinda book! I loved it from start to finish and quickly fell in love with the characters. This book was very relatable in many ways. I love the inner dialogue that is wonderfully done.

If you enjoy a slow-burn romance, sexual tension, and beautiful frustration with the characters, then this book is perfect for you. It drove me wild and kept me turning the pages with excitement and hope.

There is a healthy amount of comic relief and a fair share or wonderfully
Trio
I read Eliott Griffen’s What We Want from start to finish in one sitting, and I definitely liked the story. The premise of a lonely widower finding love (and discovering his bi/pan sexuality) is always going to work for me. Both of the main characters have very compelling backstories and the chemistry when they’re together is fantastic. I couldn’t wait to watch them to get together.

The story unfolds at a perfect pace. Friends to lovers is totally believable as Zach’s initial surge of attraction
Calila
*A copy of this book was provided for free by the author in exchange for an honest review.*

This is pretty much pure fluffy feel good sweetness. There's some minor melodrama towards the end (as there always is) but it doesn't last long. I don't think it was really needed but it's not quite a strike. I really liked the characters and enjoyed their road to romance. I think it was realistic. I loved the way they met, and that they became friends before becoming anything else. I love a good slow burn
Dusan
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so this was always going to be a five-star rating, not least because this is my cousin's debut novel. Gay romance, breezy dialogue and melodramatic twists, the whole underpinned by a thoughtful insight into the social and personal stigma of being a member of a marginalised social group, are all certain to appeal to the target readership. And cat lovers.
Chase Connor
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book and am trying to put my feelings into words. First things first, I've noticed some reviews calling this book "melodramatic". Well...there is melodrama, but that is somewhat expected in this genre and the author uses it effectively. The best and worst things about this book are how it slowly builds in the first half, taunting and teasing the reader with the burgeoning relationship between the two main characters, Rob and Zach. Halfway through the book, I felt like ...more
blub

I think I may be in the minority when it comes to this book. I just thought it was an okay read. I didn't hate it but I didn't really like/love it either. The premise caught my attention but the story didn't do a very good job keeping me wanting.

Robert (Rob) Grayson, 45, is waiting for life to end after the passing of his wife and daughter. He offers to help his neighbor at the wake.

Zachary (Zach) Steel, 30, is back for his estranged father's funeral, shenanigans ensue at the wake when
Jessica Calla
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahhh this book made me burn my meatballs and kept me up all night, which only means that I loved it! My Kindle was attached to my hand all day, and I didn’t put it down until the midnight hour when I finished the last page (which explains the burnt meatballs and copious amounts of coffee that I am drinking today!)

WHAT WE WANT, by Eliott Griffen, put me through the gamut of emotions—happy, nervous, sad, scared, devastated, happy again. Rob and Zach are beautiful characters, with backstories that
Helen Whistberry
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Enjoyable slow-burn romance as Zach and Rob, who seemingly have little in common when they first meet, come to realize their burgeoning friendship may be the start of something much deeper. What this novel does particularly well as we shift between Zach's and Rob's points of view is capture the uncertainty, confusion, even terror that comes with imagining opening your heart and soul fully to another person. Both men have suffered past heartbreak which only adds to the complications of their ...more
Angus Harris
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Here’s the bad bit - this book is in desperate need of an editor and a proofreader.

Here’s the good bit - this book deserves an editor because it is a beautiful story of love. It is as simple as that. The characters are believable, flawed, funny and likeable. The situations, complex and messy as life can be, are real-life situations. I’ve met people like these men. The issues of Asperger’s and nuanced sexuality (not linked!) are handled with such sensitivity that I found myself re-reading
Chase Hackett
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this beautiful, genuinely affecting story of Rob & Zach finding a connection where they’d least expected it.
Mary Mary
* A free copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for a honest review via the MM Romance Group ‘Don’t Buy My Love’ program *

If I had to choose one word to describe this book it would be MELODRAMATIC.
As much as I liked the blurb, the whole story was mostly annoying. There is A LOT of totally amazing books with autistic character(s) (like my favorite In The Absence Of Light), great books with friends-to-lovers, gay-for-you theme and unfortunately this is not one of them :(

This
Shweta Nandakumar
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
**A free copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for a honest review via the MM Romance Group ‘Don’t Buy My Love’ program.**

'What we want ' by Elliot Griffen touches upon the aspects of human nature like the yearning for love, acceptance, self doubt, insecurities and the need to be understood through the story of Zach and Rob.

Rob who has pretty much succumbed to his fate after the death of his wife and kid, leads a quiet, lonely life along with his cat-Meow ( whom he claims
Sharon Cox
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I asked if I could review this book as the premise looked so interesting. Loved the idea of someone hiding in the kitchen, a fight for a chance of love and, of course, a spoiled, opinionated cat.
When I started reading at some ridiculous hour last night I felt that I had been thrown in the deep end. So much was happening and there were so many characters to meet. Of course, this settled down very quickly.
Zach had come home to help his mother bury his estranged father. There is chaos but there is
D. G. Alan
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is my absolute favorite kinda book!

There is a healthy amount of comic relief and a fair share or wonderfully
Jacob Rundle
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A tale with many elements...one of them being how a man longs over the loss of his family....then a spark happens. What does one do? So many thoughts would come into your mind if you thought your life was over.
Sexual identity is such an important topic because maybe one day we as people can get away from titles and stigmas, and we can just love who we love.
There's a journey in the novel that shouldn't be ignored. This isn't my normal genre, but I will not hold that against a writer.
The story
Kimiko Chen
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dropped
DNF @53%.

This started off really really strong. I was genuinely interested in both Rob’s and Zach’s story; the slow peeling of their past and what happened to them kept me reading on.

The slow progression of their romance was reasonably paced as well. What turned my attention away were the constant inner thoughts/dialogue that seem to *take away* from the overall atmosphere, tone, and voice of the narrator—whether it be Zach or Rob. To me, it made these two characters like frantic teenagers with
Ann
This one is really special. It takes the familiar trope of the young man and the sexy older neighbor, and turns the sweetness dial up to eleven. In particular I loved Rob, the lonely widower who lost his wife and child years ago and who barely speaks to anyone but his cat. The treatment of his Aspberger's Syndrome was very moving, and felt genuine (though I don't claim to be an expert).
Michael Stoneburner
Such a sweet and inclusive story where love is blind of age, gender, sex and spectrums. It's a story that will warm your heart as well as your toes. By the end of this book, I was leaning back in my chair with a playful, 'Meow.' ;).
Stas
Nov 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NOBODY
DNF @ 7%

Overly dramatic and utterly ridiculous.
What even.

VERDICT : AVOID
Sylvia
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 ...more
Alice Rachel
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zach and Rob were so sweet and gentle, it was impossible not to love them. The book was extremely romantic, mixing sadness and funny moments. The sex scenes were really romantic too, which is far too rare in MM romance.
I loved that this was own voices, and it showed that it was.
Vanessa Bitencourt
Jun 02, 2019
Kaye
Sep 02, 2019
Li Babbs-Reilly
Mar 03, 2019
Shush
Feb 20, 2019

• The Other Book (Those Other Books, #1)
  • A Surplus of Light
  • Wicked Lies Boys Tell
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • Made for You (Love and Family, #2)
  • His Boy
  • The Christmas Deal
  • 3 Dates
  • Healthy, Wealthy and Boyfriend Wise (Cute Gay Romance #1)
  • If We Could Go Back (Camassia Cove, #6)
  • Unwritten Law (Steele Brothers #1)
  • IRL: In Real Life (After Oscar, #1)
  • Fracture (Unbreakable Bonds #6)
  • Milo (Finding Home, #2)
  • Oz (Finding Home, #1)
  • Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
  • No Quick Fix (Torus Intercession #1)

ELIOTT GRIFFEN is multi-genre author, living on the Old Continent with two dogs and a cat. They own a squeaky clean, never used degree in IT Management. However, they decided to exchange the corporate world for one of their own making. Occasionally they even write something. People say it's good stuff.

Check out all of Eliott's titles at eliottscribbles.com

Newsletter: bit.ly/EliottSubscribe

Human Nature (3 books)
  • What We Fear (Human Nature, #2)
  • What We Need (Human Nature #3)
“You know, you’ve turned me into a horndog.” 1 likes
“His heart beat faster as a familiar scent enveloped him. With a start, he realized that this was it. His race was over. He had crossed the finish line and found the love of his life. He could finally rest now.” 1 likes