Start by marking “The Starless Sea” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  26,555 ratings  ·  6,803 reviews
Far beneath the surface of the earth, upon the shores of the Starless Sea, there is a labyrinthine collection of tunnels and rooms filled with stories. The entryways that lead to this sanctuary are often hidden, sometimes on forest floors, sometimes in private homes, sometimes in plain sight. But those who seek will find. Their doors have been waiting for them.

Zachary Ezra
Published November 5th 2019 by Doubleday Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Nov 05, 2019
    *NOW A NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER*

From the New York Times bestselling author of The Night Circus, comes a timeless love story set in a secret

Format: Print book

·  26,555 ratings  ·  6,803 reviews

Start your review of The Starless Sea
    Lisa Lynch
    Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
    "How are you feeling?" Zachary asks.

"Like I am losing my mind, but in a slow, achingly beautiful sort of way." (p.288)

Funny, I felt the exact same way while reading this book.

So, Erin Morgenstern's The Starless Sea is the highly anticipated follow up to The Night Circus (which, I admit, I haven't read). I won an ARC of this book from my library's summer reading program and, after reading the synopsis, I could not wait to jump in.

I think that most people who read The Starless Sea will love it
    Chaima ✨ شيماء
    It’s a profoundly strange thing—to feel as though you are wading through mildly entertaining novels that pass through you like falling smoke, always searching for the one that reaches into the back alleys of your soul and settles to the bottom of you like fallen leaves.

And then there it is, like a faint spark bobbing on a dark sea, calling you, beckoning.

The dark-throated bliss of it is like what all the books you’ve ever read have been aspiring to be, the scales of what is good, great, and
    Regan
    Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
    loveddddd 4.5
    Samantha
    Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites-2019
    This book is a love letter to stories and storytelling, myths and fables, symbols and imagination. This was haunting and magical, foreboding and whimsical in a way only Erin Morgenstern can achieve. This is a story in which something new can be discovered every time you read it. Breathtaking.
    jessica
    Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favourites
    HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY TO THIS LITTLE COCKTAIL OF MAGIC AND WONDER!

i know for a fact that this book wont be everyones cup of tea (morgensterns writing style is an acquired taste), but it sure is mine.

this quenches my thirst for a story that was meant to be told, a love letter to the art of storytelling, as well as the stories we find ourselves in. it is an ode to those who write their own paths in life. and there is an aromatic intimacy to this that can only be created when such words are so
    emma
    i wanted this to never ever ever end ever.

the fact that it did is my biggest complaint.

review to come / 5 stars

currently reading updates

i hope someday i love something as much as erin morgenstern loves comma splices

-------------

me: i need to finish my reading challenge!!!

also me: (picks up 500-page book)

tbr review

wait.........MULTIPLE beautiful covers????

someone take mercy on me

COVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVER!!!

hello i would like to
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: i-m-intrigued
    I waited the book for months and months, also named myself as Vladimir who is waiting for Godot forever! Of course my request stays at the NetGalley limbo space with other thousands of my requests doing boogie dance together. (I don’t want to visualize them dusted, positioned at the bookshelves kind of purgatory!) So as a patient reading, high five-d myself for releasing day (actually I slapped my nose, I couldn’t do a proper high five for years and always missing the other person’s hand or ...more
    Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
    Just got my hands on an ARC!!

Can't wait to read it :D
    ELLIAS (elliasreads)
    Finishes book.

"I'm getting this book tattooed all over my body, mind and soul."

2019 really saved the best for last. 8 years was fucking worth it.

Full review to come.

____

UPDATE APRIL 30TH

WE HAVE A COVER AND IT'S FUCKING BEAUTIFUL.
    _____

a bee,
    a key,
    and a sword.

"I thought I was writing a book about books, but as it turns out I was writing a book about stories."

No words. Nothing. I just—
    Twitter | Bookstagram | Youtube |
    Katie.dorny
    Oct 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: 2019
    I did not enjoy this at all. Pretentious, confusing and jumping through time to make no sense whatsoever..I feel like I wasted a reading week. All my anticipated releases have been flops this year.

Now what is this book about? Honestly your guess is as good as mine. There was a hint of some love stories but they were so muddled into everything else that was pointless and made no sense so who knows.

The plot got lost, the writing style was so saturated in metaphors and description I got bored and
    Amy Imogene Reads
    This is a masterpiece. This is flawless. This is the kind of book that comes along once in a decade. This cracks the foundations.

Imagery:
    Concepts:
    Writing:
    Pacing:

Erin Morgenstern is not for everyone. Her writing is for those who love the story for the sake of the story. The lyrical, meandering, and existential prose is not the standard format, and it takes no prisoners. If it's not for you, it's not for you.

Normally, I try to make some sort of sense in my review. Talk about the
    Nick
    May 28, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    I always imagine Erin Morgenstern's books like paintings. She is that good as describing things.
    Fares
    Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
    DNFed @ 56%

THE DISAPPOINTMENT OF THE YEAR!
    The writing is so abstract that I couldn't take it anymore! And the problem is I expected that, I wanted that, but it was just SO MUCH!
    I'm so sad right now, I really wanted to love this

I feel this was a cheap copy of The Shadow of the Wind, even The Ten Thousand Doors of January to me was similar and better than this.

I'm gonna crawl into a hole and cry myself to sleep now!
    Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
    THIS IS THE BIGGEST BOOK RELEASE OF 2019 FOR ME!

Seven years ago I read a fantastic book called The Night Circus and it helped me fall in love with books and fantasy. I can still recall most of the novel vividly. And I’d almost given up hope that the author would write another novel, then I found out about this!

I'm so damn EXCITED about it. Only one year to go and then I can read it! I really hope she delivers it with the same skill so I can rave about it on here.
    amy ☂︎
    Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favs, 2020
    reading an erin morgenstern book is like dreaming with your eyes open
    Charlotte May
    Am I confused as heck? Yes.

But was this book the most incredibly magical, moving, imaginative and absolutely immersive gem I’ve read in a long time? Also yes.

I enjoyed this so much more than The Night Circus!

"We are all stardust and stories."

Ok, where do I begin? I can honestly say I've never read anything like this book before.
    Zachary Ezra Rawlings finds a book in the library that isn't catalogued and becomes curious. Once he begins reading 'Sweet Sorrows' he discovers a world beyond his
    Kai
    Nov 09, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    GUESS WHO IS BACK TO FUCK ME UP ONCE MORE
    Helena of Eretz ✰
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: urban-fantasy, adult
    "An inn that once sat at one crossroads now rests at another, ... somewhere deeper and darker where few will ever find it, by the shores of the Starless Sea."

I just think that perhaps Erin Morgenstern isn't the author for me. Does she write well? Yes. But do her books interest me? I'm sad to say that the answer is no. Both books that I've picked up from her had AMAZING synopses. But the plots just fell flat. Admittedly, this book has a much faster plot than The Night Circus, but I just wasn't
    🌻darmera🌻
    No rating yet, because I am still processing. I liked it, but I also didn't? Better review is coming. Those of you who have gotten around to it- what do you think?
    Hamad
    Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This Review Blog Twitter Instagram

Actual rating: 4.25 stars

I picked up the above quote because it sums up my experience with this book! This book is definitely not for everyone. It was initially not even for me, I picked it up at a bad time and I was physically and mentally tired and just kept falling asleep. I was not a fan of The Night Circus and so
    Emily May
    Apr 22, 2019 marked it as lost-interest
    Shelves: fantasy, arc

ARC provided in exchange for honest review
    Raeleen Lemay
    Nov 11, 2018 marked it as dnf
    Shelves: adult-fiction, 2019
    dnf around 30%
    Ugh what a chore

pre-release

a new book from Erin Morgenstern... After all these years?

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
    I don’t freaking know how I feel. I need to listen to the audio!!

Mel
    Lucy Langford
    Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    ”Strange, isn’t it? To love a book. When the words on the pages become so precious that they feel like part of your own history because they are.”

5*****

This was beautiful and lyrical and poetic. It was filled with adventure, myth and fairytale- an ode to storytelling, story lovers and creating your own stories. Erin Morgenstern has the unique ability to transport me to another place with her writing; it was magic.

This book had mystery and the stories are used to uncover each and every part of my
    Beata
    Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
    The confession first. I finished this novel some time ago, but was unable to decide how to rate it. For this was just a good book which I finished for its beautiful prose, however, fantasy has never got deep into my heart, hence I can't rave about The Starless Sea.
    I think I belong to the readers who enjoy some fantasy plus a plot, and while reading I received very little of the latter, which was why it took me a long time to read this novel and not enjoy it as much as some of my GR Friends did.
    Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
    It’s difficult to sum up a novel that has made a home in your heart and mind and will reside there for a lifetime. I began The Starless Sea, thinking it would be another whimsical and atmospheric novel written by Erin Morgenstern but quickly fell head over heels for its likeness to The Shadow of the Wind, another favorite novel of mine. Both of these stories share a deep love for words and the stories created in our minds, and the love for books and how they can change us forever is at the ...more
    Justin
    Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
    When I started reading The Starless Sea, I was blown away. I read through stories of pirates and girls in forests, of key holders and sword sellers, Fate, Time, the Moon, and some dude named Zach. The stories were intoxicating, like I was floating around in some hypnotic, dream-like daze, breathing in all of these beautiful short stories. They were beautifully written, imaginative little pieces of art, all smushed together and delicately held in place.

But somewhere in my drunken haze, the magic
    may ➹
    Jan 02, 2020 is currently reading it
    I’m not very sure what this book is about except that it has gays and also books, and tbh....... that’s all I need to know
    Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
    THE STARLESS SEA WILL SWEEP YOU AWAY

Popsugar Reading Challenge 2019
    A book with a zodiac sign or astrology term in the title

This book I had to take a few days to digest before I could figure out how I felt about it. At first I was annoyed that it took me far longer to read than I thought it would. But then I realised that it was simply because this book was so much more full than I had expected it to be. That is a great quality in a book!

"Reading a book four times in one day is perfectly
    Bethany
    Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: lgbtq
    "Everyone wishes to grasp that which exists out of reach. To hold the extraordinary in their hands and keep the remarkable in their pockets."

A love letter to storytelling in all its forms, The Starless Sea is stunningly crafted with magic that will sweep you away into a fairytale. I'm completely in love with this masterpiece and already want to re-read it. If you love books that come together slowly, with lots of puzzle pieces, doors to other worlds, rich symbolism, deep mythology, and a
    Erin Morgenstern is the author of The Night Circus, a number-one national best seller that has been sold around the world and translated into thirty-seven languages. She has a degree in theater from Smith College and lives in Massachusetts.

• Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
    • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
    • The Dutch House
    • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
    • Nothing to See Here
    • Eight Perfect Murders
    • This Is How You Lose the Time War
    • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library #6)
    • The Family Upstairs
    • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
    • The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)
    • The Sun Down Motel
    • The Testaments (The Handmaid's Tale, #2)
    • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
    • The World That We Knew
    • Riot Baby
    • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
    • Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer, #1)
    “Strange, isn’t it? To love a book. When the words on the pages become so precious that they feel like part of your own history because they are. It’s nice to finally have someone read stories I know so intimately.” 157 likes
    “Not all stories speak to all listeners, but all listeners can find a story that does, somewhere, sometime. In one form or another.” 110 likes