Start by marking “The Starless Sea” as Want to Read:
The Starless Sea

The Starless Sea

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  88,961 ratings  ·  18,658 reviews
Far beneath the surface of the earth, upon the shores of the Starless Sea, there is a labyrinthine collection of tunnels and rooms filled with stories. The entryways that lead to this sanctuary are often hidden, sometimes on forest floors, sometimes in private homes, sometimes in plain sight. But those who seek will find. Their doors have been waiting for them.

Zachary Ezra
Published November 5th 2019 by Doubleday Books
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about The Starless Sea, please sign up.
Valerie No horror, not even scary or spooky. Magical and wonderful, filled with books, and candlelight, cats and mystery.
As much as I enjoyed Night Circus, I …more
As much as I enjoyed Night Circus, I love, love love this book. (less)

·  88,961 ratings  ·  18,658 reviews

Start your review of The Starless Sea
Lisa Lynch
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
"How are you feeling?" Zachary asks.

"Like I am losing my mind, but in a slow, achingly beautiful sort of way." (p.288)

Funny, I felt the exact same way while reading this book.

So, Erin Morgenstern's The Starless Sea is the highly anticipated follow up to The Night Circus (which, I admit, I haven't read). I won an ARC of this book from my library's summer reading program and, after reading the synopsis, I could not wait to jump in.

I think that most people who read The Starless Sea will love it b
chai ♡
find this review & others on my blog

It’s a profoundly strange thing—to feel as though you are wading through mildly entertaining novels that pass through you like falling smoke, always searching for the one that reaches into the back alleys of your soul and settles to the bottom of you like fallen leaves.

And then there it is, like a faint spark bobbing on a dark sea, calling you, beckoning.

The bliss of it is like what all the books you’ve ever read have been aspiring to be, the scales of
emma
my apologies to my copy of this book (i keep jumping on it in the hopes its pages will suddenly open up and i'll find myself in the Starless Sea).

full review: https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...

-------------

Someone PLEASE procure me a striking, modern, big-city apartment with lots of windows, where I can hold a glass of expensive wine and gaze unseeing over the skyline at night, because apparently I’m going to feel melancholy for the rest of my life over never again being able to read this
Samantha
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-2019
This book is a love letter to stories and storytelling, myths and fables, symbols and imagination. This was haunting and magical, foreboding and whimsical in a way only Erin Morgenstern can achieve. This is a story in which something new can be discovered every time you read it. Breathtaking.
Regan
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
loveddddd 4.5
jessica
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY TO THIS LITTLE COCKTAIL OF MAGIC AND WONDER!

i know for a fact that this book wont be everyones cup of tea (morgensterns writing style is an acquired taste), but it sure is mine.

this quenches my thirst for a story that was meant to be told, a love letter to the art of storytelling, as well as the stories we find ourselves in. it is an ode to those who write their own paths in life. and there is an aromatic intimacy to this that can only be created when such words are so ten
Katie.dorny
Oct 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019, lgbtq
I did not enjoy this at all. Pretentious, confusing and jumping through time to make no sense whatsoever..I feel like I wasted a reading week. All my anticipated releases have been flops this year.

Now what is this book about? Honestly your guess is as good as mine. There was a hint of some love stories but they were so muddled into everything else that was pointless and made no sense so who knows.

The plot got lost, the writing style was so saturated in metaphors and description I got bored and
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-m-intrigued
I waited the book for months and months, also named myself as Vladimir who is waiting for Godot forever! Of course my request stays at the NetGalley limbo space with other thousands of my requests doing boogie dance together. (I don’t want to visualize them dusted, positioned at the bookshelves kind of purgatory!) So as a patient reading, high five-d myself for releasing day (actually I slapped my nose, I couldn’t do a proper high five for years and always missing the other person’s hand or alwa ...more
Alienor
Nov 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
I am SO disappointed.

Bee. Sword. Story. Door. Doorknob.
Someone doing something somewhere but loses someone.
Owls. Honey. Sea. Bees.
Swords. Cats. Stories. Fragments.
Smart literary references haha.
Bees. Swords.
The moon.
Clueless boring gay character gets lost, does nothing, stumbles, regrets everything, has no spine. Insta-love - why? He took my hand then lost it.
Sea. Trinkets. Books, ribbons, lost, what, maim someone randomly.
Hate for no reason. Kitchen. What? Swords. The fortune teller’s
Sean Barrs
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a review I did not want to write because this is a book I so desperately wanted to love.

The Starless Sea is a book written for true readers. I’m talking about the kind of person who spent their childhood in and out of libraries and bookshops; the kind of person who sits and imagines adventure and an escape from the mundaneness of every single endless day without magic: the kind of person who lives for books and reading.

As such it is totally enchanting to begin with it. It hooks you
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Just got my hands on an ARC!!

Can't wait to read it :D
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Finishes book.

"I'm getting this book tattooed all over my body, mind and soul."

2019 really saved the best for last. 8 years was fucking worth it.

Full review to come.

____

UPDATE APRIL 30TH

WE HAVE A COVER AND IT'S FUCKING BEAUTIFUL.
_____

a bee,
a key,
and a sword.

"I thought I was writing a book about books, but as it turns out I was writing a book about stories."

No words. Nothing. I just—
Twitter | Bookstagram | Youtube |
NReads
May 28, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I always imagine Erin Morgenstern's books like paintings. She is that good at describing things.
Amy Imogene Reads
This is a masterpiece. This is flawless. This is the kind of book that comes along once in a decade. This cracks the foundations.

Imagery: ★★★★★
Concepts: ★★★★★
Writing: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★★★

Erin Morgenstern is not for everyone. Her writing is for those who love the story for the sake of the story. The lyrical, meandering, and existential prose is not the standard format, and it takes no prisoners. If it's not for you, it's not for you.

Normally, I try to make some sort of sense in my review. Talk
amy ☂︎
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, lgbtq-rep, favs
Reading an Erin Morgenstern book is like dreaming with your eyes open. There's something so profoundly beautiful about The Starless Sea that I don't really know how to put into words, but I'm going to try regardless, because if I can make even one person give this book a chance, I have accomplished my mission.

“Strange, isn’t it? To love a book. When the words on the pages become so precious that they feel like part of your own history because they are.”

This book tells the story of Zachary Ez
Fares
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNFed @ 56%

THE DISAPPOINTMENT OF THE YEAR!
The writing is so abstract that I couldn't take it anymore! And the problem is I expected that, I wanted that, but it was just SO MUCH!
I'm so sad right now, I really wanted to love this 😭

I feel this was a cheap copy of The Shadow of the Wind, even The Ten Thousand Doors of January to me was similar and better than this.

I'm gonna crawl into a hole and cry myself to sleep now!
Charlotte May
Am I confused as heck? Yes.

But was this book the most incredibly magical, moving, imaginative and absolutely immersive gem I’ve read in a long time? Also yes.

I enjoyed this so much more than The Night Circus!

"We are all stardust and stories."

Ok, where do I begin? I can honestly say I've never read anything like this book before.
Zachary Ezra Rawlings finds a book in the library that isn't catalogued and becomes curious. Once he begins reading 'Sweet Sorrows' he discovers a world beyond his w
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Starting my "Giving authors a second/last chance" challenge!
Justin
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
When I started reading The Starless Sea, I was blown away. I read through stories of pirates and girls in forests, of key holders and sword sellers, Fate, Time, the Moon, and some dude named Zach. The stories were intoxicating, like I was floating around in some hypnotic, dream-like daze, breathing in all of these beautiful short stories. They were beautifully written, imaginative little pieces of art, all smushed together and delicately held in place.

But somewhere in my drunken haze, the magic
Melissa ~ Bantering Books
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
How I wish I could visit the Starless Sea.

I wish I had my own magical door; one that would allow entrance to the labyrinthine libraries of this magical underground world that Erin Morgenstern has created, where I could wander aimlessly for a time and be surrounded by books, secret rooms, riddles, and CATS. Lots and lots of cats.

It would be such a wonderful escape. And then once satiated, I could return to my beloved normal life and carry on . . . anxiously awaiting my next visit to the Starless
Merphy Napier
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-stars, fantasy, adult
Here's my video review https://youtu.be/Vsqig2KrvgY ...more
Helena of Eretz ✰
"An inn that once sat at one crossroads now rests at another, ... somewhere deeper and darker where few will ever find it, by the shores of the Starless Sea."

I just think that perhaps Erin Morgenstern isn't the author for me. Does she write well? Yes. But do her books interest me? I'm sad to say that the answer is no. Both books that I've picked up from her had AMAZING synopses. But the plots just fell flat. Admittedly, this book has a much faster plot than The Night Circus, but I just wasn't in
Danielle
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
I’m so sad to have not liked this book. I’ve read so many amazing reviews of it and had such high hopes. But alas, this was not my cup of tea. Swords. Bees. Books. Keys. Painted doors. Sea of honey. Owl king. Fate. The moon. Fortune Tellers. Cats. Is it an alternate reality? Is it the inside of a book? Is it the inside of a crazed mind? Is it magic? Is it aliens? I. Don’t. Know. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I held out hope all the way through that something would finally click for me... that I’d have a mind blown mome ...more
🌻darmera🌻
No rating yet, because I am still processing. I liked it, but I also didn't? Better review is coming. Those of you who have gotten around to it- what do you think?
Kai
Nov 09, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
GUESS WHO IS BACK TO FUCK ME UP ONCE MORE
Matthew
3 stars

Time for those who have read my reviews before to see a bit of deja vu. I have from time to time mentioned books that are artsy for the sake of moving along the story in a unique fashion and they are wonderful. But, on the other side, there are books that are artsy for the sake of being artsy. Books where the weird and fantastic plot points feel forced in order to make the book seem edgy and trendy. This is, of course, in the eye of the beholder, so you may not feel the same about this as
Emily May
Apr 22, 2019 marked it as lost-interest
Shelves: fantasy, arc

ARC provided in exchange for honest review 🌊
Amalia Gkavea
''Far beneath the surface of the earth, hidden from the sun and the moon, upon the shores of the Starless Sea, there is a labyrinthine collection of tunnels and rooms filled with stories. Stories written in books and sealed in jars and painted on walls. Odes inscribed onto skin and pressed into rose petals. Tales laid in tiles upon the floors, bits of plot hung from chandeliers. Stories cataloged and cared for and revered. Old stories preserved while new stories spring up around them.''

I don
Hamad
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

Actual rating: 4.25 stars

“Not all stories speak to all listeners, but all listeners can find a story that does, somewhere, sometime. In one form or another.”

★ I picked up the above quote because it sums up my experience with this book! This book is definitely not for everyone. It was initially not even for me, I picked it up at a bad time and I was physically and mentally tired and just kept falling asleep. I was not a fan of The Night Circ
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I don’t freaking know how I feel. I need to listen to the audio!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

• Crossroads and the Himalayan Crystals
  • The Land of the Undying Lord (The Infinite World Book 1)
  • The Hills Have Spies (Valdemar: Family Spies #1)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #3)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern #1)
  • Chosen (The Warrior Chronicles, #1)
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Darklight (Darklight #1)
  • The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Riot Baby
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • The Swallows
  • The Glass Hotel
  • Mary Toft; or, The Rabbit Queen
Erin Morgenstern is the author of The Night Circus, a number-one national best seller that has been sold around the world and translated into thirty-seven languages. She has a degree in theater from Smith College and lives in Massachusetts.

Articles featuring this book

“Strange, isn’t it? To love a book. When the words on the pages become so precious that they feel like part of your own history because they are. It’s nice to finally have someone read stories I know so intimately.” 398 likes
“We are all stardust and stories.” 348 likes