Start by marking “The Pirate Tree” as Want to Read:
The Pirate Tree

The Pirate Tree

The gnarled tree on the hill sometimes turns into a pirate ship. A rope serves as an anchor, a sheet as a sail, and Sam is its fearless captain. But one day another sailor approaches, and he's not from Sam's street. Can they find something more precious than diamonds and gold? Can they find . . . friendship?
Published August 22nd 2019 by Lantana Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Pirate Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirate Tree

Start your review of The Pirate Tree
La Coccinelle
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
This book made me a little uncomfortable. It supposedly depicts a new friendship, but I was distracted by the obvious power imbalance.

Sam has a tree that she imagines is a pirate ship. One day, a boy named Agu shows up. He's new in town and wants to play. But Sam isn't interested... until she finds out that Agu is from Nigeria and knows lots of stuff she doesn't.

The problem is, at the end, rather than being equals, the book refers to Agu as Sam's "new crew member". She's still the captain. She's
Cathrine
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
How do we drop fear of each other
like autumn leaves
and connect through sharing of our own bark
count each others rings through play?
Only a tree knows .... let it show you 🥰👍.
Bookish
I appreciate the message that newcomers have much to offer a community, but I was uncomfortable with the (probably very realistic) power imbalance that didn’t fully right the ship for me even as the children played together.
Chris
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
I felt this book just reinforced the stereotypes of power imbalances rather than challenging them. I also felt the illustrations were a tad insipid for my tastes. This book just left me cold. I’m going to read it with my class though and see what they make of it - children often see different things that adults haven’t seen.
Barbara
Like so many parts of the natural world, a tree serves as the creative inspiration for Sam as she imagines sailing the seven seas aboard her pirate ship. But the story takes a slightly different turn when Agu, newly arrived from Nigeria, tries to join her. She rebuffs him because she doesn't know him and he's not from her street and then continues to play. But Agu proves his worthiness when he corrects her assumptions about Nigeria and can share his own experiences from having been aboard a ship ...more
Rebekah
Jun 05, 2020 rated it liked it
When Agu comes to join in with Sam's pirate adventure, it takes a while for them to connect but eventually they come together and go on the wildest adventure together. I think this book addresses the issue of prejudice, and making assumptions based on race, which is prevalent in today's society but it is done in a way that is accessible to children. It's never too early to educate children on these issues and books like this are essential for that learning to take place.

A sweet book about how r
Christina Reid
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yet another beautiful book from Lantana Publishing which is, on the surface very simple, and yet has a wealth of opportunities for digging deeper and starting some really important discussions with children about inclusion. Sam is sailing her pirate tree across the seven seas when an unknown sailor, Agu, approaches and asks to come on board. Sam realises that he's not a kid from her street so says no, but soon realises that he has something that he can contribute to the game because he is differ ...more
Laura Brandon
This story acknowledges the differences between people's personal experiences in life, and gives these differences value. Sam's realisation that someone being different from herself is no bad thing, but can actually add value to her life by making this friendship, as with all friendships, sparks a joyful ending to the text. Taking an interest in each others differences and actively wanting to learn about each other is a valuable lesson for pupils.
Miss Sarah
An elementary and up picture book about a young girl playing make believe when a new neighbor approaches asking to join her games. Immigration and assimilation themes and I liked that both children's thoughts were revealed.
Aliza Werner
Power imbalance in which a white girl is in charge and a Nigerian boy is submissive to her despite being far more knowledgeable about their sailing imaginative play.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A story about a make believe pirate ship, two children, and bonding over play. This story is on the longer side so it would make a better one-on-one story.
Kelly
This is a nice story of found friendship and imagination.
kim
cute
Shani
Cute story with a decent message.
Alec Brown

• Where Are You, Agnes?
  • Outside In
  • Adrian Simcox Does NOT Have a Horse
  • The Invisible Alphabet
Brigita Orel spends her days translating books from English into Slovenian. Before that she worked as a subtitler, proof-reader, assistant accountant (the most surreal job as most of the time she can't put two and two together), cleaner and baker assistant. She has a PhD in Creative writing (Swansea University). She published short stories and poems in various journals. Her work was nominated for ...more