Start by marking “The Gift of Struggle: Life-Changing Lessons about Leading” as Want to Read:
The Gift of Struggle: Life-Changing Lessons about Leading

The Gift of Struggle: Life-Changing Lessons about Leading

Every leader has stories about the challenges they have faced and struggles they have overcome. In the moment, those situations require strength, patience, perseverance and courage. With time, those struggles provide us lessons for how to be better leaders. Bobby Herrera learned to see those struggles as gifts. As the co-founder and CEO of Populus Group, Bobby never imagin ...more
Published June 7th 2019 by Bard Press (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Gift of Struggle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gift of Struggle

Start your review of The Gift of Struggle: Life-Changing Lessons about Leading
Jennifer Blankfein
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
CEO of Populus Group, Bobby Herrera has had his struggles. Growing up in a Mexican migrant worker family, he was not unfamiliar with long hours and difficult times. In school for six months of the year and then traveling to work in the fields to provide food for the people in this country for the next six months, without getting the recognition, Bobby felt socially invisible. Unable to spend money like the other kids, Bobby and his brother did their best to fit in but knew they were different. O ...more
Sudhir Bharadhwaj
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very well written. I never had read struggle as a gift to discover new things in life though I had inherently believed in it. This book is a wonderful read to simplify the thoughts of a leader. Urge you to pick a copy to enjoy it.
BookTrib.com
Jennifer Frausto
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bobby's voyage as a leader has been one with many struggles along the way, from his youth spent as a Migrant worker with his family through his military career and into his professional career where he had many setbacks working his way up in a large corporation to starting and growing his own company. His story telling ability makes this an easy read and gives you an front row seat as he grows as a person and leader.

His "Questions to guide your journey" give you a reference point to keep your le
Paleoanthro
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A short, but powerful read, that reminds us that every leader struggles and within those struggles are gifts we can use to become better leaders. This is one book that anyone who is a leader or wishes to become a leader, must add to their library and refer too often.
Andrea
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Last year I went out to buy personal growth books because I had focused more in reading fiction and so, I was looking through the shelves and found "The Gift of Struggle". I can say that it captured my attention real quick because it was not the conventional book, not only because of the size but because of the content. I could see that it was very straightforward and simple so let me tell you i had to buy it.

This book was written by the CEO of Populus Group, Bobby Herrera. He writes about his l
Rich
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Co-founder and president of Populus Group, Bobby Herrera, shares stories and leadership anecdotes in this quick, warm and candid book that aims to teach us that our struggles help us become more authentic leaders. Having grown up in a small town in New Mexico and being an Army veteran, Herrera is no stranger to challenges and the value of hard work. His central premise is this: Only by embracing and analyzing the challenges we face can we hope to be a better leader.

This book reads like a memoir
Teri Molinar
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow is all I can say! A great book that everyone can relate to regardless of their occupation. Earlier this year I was at a conference for work, I’m a teacher. There were 400+ employees at this conference. The presenter asked all the leaders in the room to stand up. All the administrators stood up but only a hand full of teachers stood up. The presenter said that we should all stand because we are all leaders. I think that’s how many of us are wired, if we aren’t in a supervisory position, we do ...more
Dina
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple, to the point, easy to read and truthful are the ways I would describe “The Gift of Struggle” by Bobby Herrera. I appreciated his honesty in his journey as an aspiring leader, willingness to share and be vulnerable in a way that teaches the lesson that we do learn from our struggles. Each of us has our moments, from his bus moment on he shares honestly and you learn his motivations. I took this particularly to heart as I realize I need to be more vulnerable. The other lesson that stuck wa ...more
Joe Tibolla
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In The Gift of Struggle, Bobby Herrera does an exceptional job of engaging the reader with real stories from his life, while balancing the narrative with shared wisdom and practical methods to help the reader implement the content and teachings into their life/role as a leader. I feel that the "Questions to Guide Your Journey" at the end of each chapter are a very effective way to not only summarize the message of the chapter, but also to provide the reader with a platform to put the lessons int ...more
Devin Halliday
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I received my copy of The Gift of Struggle as an unexpected and wonderful gift. I dove in and found myself unable to put the book down. I’ve written in the margins, underlined passages and dog eared more pages than I’m comfortable admitting.

The stories shared by Bobby Herrera are relatable, even in their differences. The magic is in the applicable lessons he shares in the form of “the gift” at the end of each chapter.

I’ve put an order for 30 more copies to give to my network. It belongs in your
Brianna
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was very inspiring to me! I’m the youngest of my siblings and I have had my own struggles and I am on my journey to become successful, as I read this book I realized that I am not alone and everyone struggles. It’s about how you turn those struggles into a positive lesson in life! Having a positive attitude about everything can change how you achieve your success and how you achieve any goals you have set for yourself. Amazing read!
Fabio Seixas
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the simplicity and organization of the book. Using his own struggles in life, the author shows the lessons he was able to extract from these struggles. The way he put it in the book allows everyone to fast learn that every struggle we pass through in life has a lesson we must identify and use in our favor and construct a better self.
Clayton
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All hail the underdogs! Thank you for the great stories Bobby and sharing the experiences and life-lesson's of a CEO. Once I picked up your book I didn't put it down until I finished. I will take your advice and apply it in my own young professional career.
Scott Wozniak
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short, good book. It's a series of struggles the author has experienced that shaped him into a better leader (hard times put on him and mistakes he's made). The stories are very well written and the lessons are classic. Nothing truly new, but it's well said.
Bmac
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Gift of Struggle is a fantastic and inspirational book. A captivating read about the path of leadership and lessons that can be applied personally and professionally. The Gift of Struggle really helps put the challenges life can throw at you in perspective.
Derren Burrell
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read in one sitting, hard to put down. Straightforward, simple precepts of someone who has lived them out. Definitely some nuggets in here to put into practice.
Mario Lambert II
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! This book is a tool...a life tool...that guides me to reflect on my own experiences. I'm happy to share this with my friends and family.
Simon
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant book. So simple and clear in thinking and message.
Pedro Polanco
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Generously personal short
Quentin Wright
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book for leaders
Cindy
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick read, great advice about being a good leader at work.
Timmcaboy Yahoocom
Jun 18, 2020
Alyssa Wing
Aug 25, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Motive: Why So Many Leaders Abdicate Their Most Important Responsibilities
  • The Infinite Game
  • Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness
  • Swipe to Unlock: The Primer on Technology and Business Strategy
  • The Ultimate Guide to Dropshipping
  • Why Good People Can't Get Jobs: The Skills Gap and What Companies Can Do About It
  • Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber
  • A Journey North: One Woman's Story of Hiking the Appalachian Trail
  • The Fearless Organization: Creating Psychological Safety in the Workplace for Learning, Innovation, and Growth
  • How to Be an Antiracist
  • Second Skin
  • We Are the Weather: Saving the Planet Begins at Breakfast
  • Underland: A Deep Time Journey
  • It's Not About You: A Brief Guide to a Meaningful Life
  • Becoming American Express: 150 Years of Reinvention and Customer Service by Reed Massengill (1999-01-01)
  • You Are Awesome: How to Navigate Change, Wrestle with Failure, and Live an Intentional Life

News & Interviews