Start by marking “Sadiq and the Desert Star” as Want to Read:
Sadiq and the Desert Star

Sadiq and the Desert Star

(Sadiq)

When Sadiq's father leaves on a business trip, he worries he'll miss his baba too much. But Baba has a story for Sadiq: the story of the Desert Star. Learning about Baba's passion for the stars sparks Sadiq's interest in outer space. But can Sadiq find others who are willing to help him start the space club of his dreams?
Published August 1st 2019 by Picture Window Books

To ask other readers questions about Sadiq and the Desert Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sadiq and the Desert Star

Start your review of Sadiq and the Desert Star
Kathryn
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great little book featuring a Somali-American family from Minnesota. Recommended for STEAM collections and #OwnVoices collections. I'm not a huge fan of the illustration style, but I'm sure it will appeal to many children and my children and I enjoyed the story very much. About an hour after we finished it, my seven-year-old asked if there were any more of that "cool" book about Saqid. Sadly, this is the only one our library has but I will be putting in a request for more.
Etienne
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is good, but trying to touch so many subjects it became a bit over pack with content. It goes into astronomy, Islamic/Arabic culture (not so sure how to call it... I hope I don’t offend anyone), relation between father and son, and more. It still easy to read, kind of surprisingly for a book that have some much stuff in it. I like it and would recommend it. Writing skill well done here!
Lacy
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
🌠🎶 can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars 🎶🌠

Sadiq and the Desert Star is a middle grade short chapter book that blends with graphic novel. Sadiq is our main character. Sadiq loves science and is ecstatic to learn his class is going on a field trip to an observatory to look at Mars. His class loves it so much they decide to build their own telescope to look at Mars and stars any time they want.

Sadiq and his love of science made me reminiscent of how much I love
Angel
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beginning chapter book featuring a Somali-American family from Minnesota! Included in the front are some facts about Somalia and some vocabulary used throughout the book, which help unfamiliar readers. When Sadiq's dad tells him about the desert star before his class visits the planetarium, Sadiq is inspired! He and his friends gather supplies and make their own telescope to view the night sky. There are instructions on how to make your own telescope in the back, which makes for a good STEM clas ...more
Jessica
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story about a Somali-American boy who loves space. Sadiq is a character that I've been waiting to see in kids lit for a long time—kind, adventurous, and relatable. His story opens a door for kids to learn a little about their Somali friends' and neighbors' culture. I loved the incorporation of Somali folklore through the Desert Star, and I was beyond pleased to see more hijabi characters (Sadiq's mom and sister) and casual Muslim rep in kids lit.
Amber Webb
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sadiq is going to be an excellent new series for early readers along the same lines of Yasmin. Sadiq, the main character shares his pains, interests, friends and love with the reader. A young Somali Muslim just doing life. I loved the before pages that taught some of the vocabulary and the post pages that helped the reader respond to the story.
My only critique of that it felt to me that the story ended somewhat abruptly.
Can't wait to share the series with students.
Heather Albrecht
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for my first grade classroom (in Minnesota, just like Sadiq!). We study astronomy just like his class does in the book. I can see Sadiq being a wonderful example for my students with his eagerness to learn, creativity, and generosity. I need a copy for each of the first grade classrooms! I am excited to read the other Sadiq stories too!
Franki Sibberson
A good new series-early chapter book with good supports for transitional readers.
Umm Afraz
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this book, Sadiq learns about astronomy and planet observation through a telescope. Although I have heard of the desert star, living in the city – like Sadiq – it is nearly impossible to see the stars in the night sky. And this made me wish to visit my hometown so I could see the stars and try to spot the desert star at night. Point to make note of for the next time I visit India 🙂

I hadn’t heard of the Sadiq series until I got them on my hands for reviewing purposes.

The book starts with Sadiq
Margaret Boling
3/21/2020 ~ A strong new #ownvoices transitional chapter book series from Capstone. Sadiq is Somali, living in Minnesota (where there is a large Somali population). I appreciated that Sadiq is a kid (not an "issues" book), engaging is a typical public school experience, complete with field trips. His culture comes through with familial terms (Baba for his father, Hooyo for his mother). The book starts with a brief introduction to Somali culture and terms. There is also a glossary at the end.

I ha
Erin
Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for providing a review copy.

Sadiq and the Desert Star is an early chapter book about Sadiq, a Somali Muslim American boy. Sadiq's third grade class is taking a trip to the observatory, where he and his classmates decide to start a Space Club and raise money for a telescope. There's not much plot to this book, and setbacks (Sadiq didn't hear the instructions at the observatory! Telescopes are very expensive!) all turn out to be very minor, usually resolving
Sara Magnafichi
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: earlyreader
Thank you to Capstone Publishing for providing #collabookation a copy of this to review and share.
I am so excited to find an #ownvoices book with a Somali-American character in it. It is so important that children see themselves within texts, as well as learn about cultures different than their own. This is an early reader book, that is a great entry point for children who are starting to read beginning chapter books. If you are a fan of the Yasmin series, you will love this book and series as
RaiseThemRighteous
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Siman Nuurali's Sadiq and the Desert Star provides young readers with an inspiring story of a boy who loves to learn and look at the starts! I was thrilled to learn this is the first in a series of four books (so far). My son, like many children, falls in love with characters. Sadiq is quirky, kind, and resilient. The perfect character to build a series around!

The Desert Star pivots around Sadiq's feelings about his father going on a business trip, his desire to learn about the stars his father
Kathie
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Picture Window Books for an eARC of this book.

Sadiq and his friends are learning about space in school. When they see Mars on a trip to an planetarium, they decide to create a space club and raise money for a telescope so they can look at the planet any time they want. When they realise how expensive telescopes are, they learn to make one themselves, raise the funds, and hold a backyard stargazing party.

This is an enjoyable transitional chapter book. There are too few
Meghan
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Capstone-Picture Window Books in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I loved this book from cover to cover. We actually have patrons that are Somali and will love this book even more. I loved instead of getting upset about the telescope, Sadiq found the ambition to look up some supplies to build one himself and did everything he could to see if he could find the desert star from his father's sto
Katrina
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sadiq is adorable! In this beginning chapter book, Sadiq and his friends problem-solve and work together to create something themselves, rather than relying on others. I loved how the Somali language words were front-loaded with the character introductions so they were already familiar when they came up in the story. The “Talk About It,” “Write It Down” and craft pages in the back are a great way to guide thinking around the book and prompt conversations at home or school. It is refreshing to se ...more
Autumn
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely and warm little STEM book for newly independent readers! Sadiq and his family are Somali Muslims living in Minnesota. Kids can learn some Somali words, what it's like to go to a planetarium, how to start/fund a club at school, and how to make a DIY telescope in this charming, approachable book. Discussion questions and a glossary are included, as well as some facts about Somalia and a nice clear introductory illustration of all the characters. When I say "We Need Diverse Books", I ...more
Bonnie Grover
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Sadiq series is going to be a great edition for young readers, particularly 3rd graders. This small chapter book follows Sadiq, a Somali boy, as he learns about space and the Desert Star. I like that this book contained a glossary, reader’s questions, writing prompts and an activity to try at home. Students will be able to relate to Sadiq and his adventures on many levels. I am going to share this with teachers and students. Look for the 4-books series coming in August 2019.
Angela
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, moving-up
There is an incredible amount of good stuff packed in to this little story. We start off with information about Somalia (where Sadiq's parents are from) and some key terms. We learn a little bit about Somalia, astronomy, and teamwork in the story. The end has discussion questions and instructions for making a telescope. All of this is topped off with brightly colored illustrations to help young readers understand and enjoy the story.
Abby Johnson
This is a nice own-voices early chapter book with STEM connections and a loveable hero in Sadiq, a Somalian-American boy starting a space club at his school. With simple, easy to read text, this is a good choice for kids just starting to venture into chapter books. The blend of Somalian cultural information and STEM connections make for a nice balance. Hand to readers of the Museum Mysteries series or the Yasmin books.
Mary
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this short early chapter book. It was well-written, nicely paced, good illustrations, and a great story! I think this will be a great addition to our collection. I look forward to reading the other three books in the series.
Sharyn
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Grades 1-3 Ages 6-8 - though some of the vocabulary is advanced for this age group. Still a nice short book about a Somali-American boy who lives in Minnesota. You have space, his family, and sambuus or samosas! Part of a series.
Jennybeast
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Hooray, beginning chapter book series with a Somali family! Little bit of bilingual action, with glossary. Decent story for something so short, and Sadiq is a sweet kid. Nice representation of regular life.
Kyla
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice high interest colorful early chapter book about a Somali-American family and his space club! Lots of fun facts about space and learning to build telescopes which would be a fun makerspace activity to go along with the book!
Kris Dersch
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was great! Sadiq is a great character with a great close-knit family, a space obsessed kid with the nice touch being the unique way he and his dad connect to space. We look forward to spending more time with Sadiq.
Julie
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Covers a lot of science related content. A great read for kids interested in space or astronomy. Love the cultural information of the family.
Kathi Rauscher
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sadiq in my opinion will be a very popular new early reader series. The Desert Star touched on several subject giving enough information to peak interest but not overwhelming.
Steph
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Diverse and science-focused, and specifically good for our 2nd-3rd graders.
Raven Black
Good diverseness. Good for early reader who likes friendship stories.
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.

• Mindy Kim and the Yummy Seaweed Business
  • We Will Rock Our Classmates
  • We Are Water Protectors
  • More to the Story
  • Saturday
  • Ways to Make Sunshine
  • Why?
  • Stealing the Sword (Time Jumpers #1)
  • Stargazing
  • Astrid and Apollo and the Starry Campout
  • Mañanaland
  • Roll with It
  • The King of Kindergarten
  • A Place to Land: Martin Luther King Jr. and the Speech That Inspired a Nation
  • Roar of the Thunder Dragon: A Branches Book (Dragon Masters #8)
  • For Black Girls Like Me
  • Truman the Dog
  • Accidental Trouble Magnet (Planet Omar, #1)

Sadiq (8 books)