Start by marking “Sadiq and the Desert Star” as Want to Read:
Sadiq and the Desert Star

Sadiq and the Desert Star

When Sadiq's father leaves on a business trip, he worries he'll miss his baba too much. But Baba has a story for Sadiq: the story of the Desert Star. Learning about Baba's passion for the stars sparks Sadiq's interest in outer space. But can Sadiq find others who are willing to help him start the space club of his dreams?
Expected publication: August 1st 2019 by Picture Window Books

To ask other readers questions about Sadiq and the Desert Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sadiq and the Desert Star

Etienne
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is good, but trying to touch so many subjects it became a bit over pack with content. It goes into astronomy, Islamic/Arabic culture (not so sure how to call it... I hope I don’t offend anyone), relation between father and son, and more. It still easy to read, kind of surprisingly for a book that have some much stuff in it. I like it and would recommend it. Writing skill well done here!
Lacy
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
🌠🎶 can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars 🎶🌠

Sadiq and the Desert Star is a middle grade short chapter book that blends with graphic novel. Sadiq is our main character. Sadiq loves science and is ecstatic to learn his class is going on a field trip to an observatory to look at Mars. His class loves it so much they decide to build their own telescope to look at Mars and stars any time they want.

Sadiq and his love of science made me reminiscent of how much I loved
Jessica
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story about a Somali-American boy who loves space. Sadiq is a character that I've been waiting to see in kids lit for a long time—kind, adventurous, and relatable. His story opens a door for kids to learn a little about their Somali friends' and neighbors' culture. I loved the incorporation of Somali folklore through the Desert Star, and I was beyond pleased to see more hijabi characters (Sadiq's mom and sister) and casual Muslim rep in kids lit.
Amber Webb
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sadiq is going to be an excellent new series for early readers along the same lines of Yasmin. Sadiq, the main character shares his pains, interests, friends and love with the reader. A young Somali Muslim just doing life. I loved the before pages that taught some of the vocabulary and the post pages that helped the reader respond to the story.
My only critique of that it felt to me that the story ended somewhat abruptly.
Can't wait to share the series with students.
Franki Sibberson
A good new series-early chapter book with good supports for transitional readers.
Erin
Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for providing a review copy.

Sadiq and the Desert Star is an early chapter book about Sadiq, a Somali Muslim American boy. Sadiq's third grade class is taking a trip to the observatory, where he and his classmates decide to start a Space Club and raise money for a telescope. There's not much plot to this book, and setbacks (Sadiq didn't hear the instructions at the observatory! Telescopes are very expensive!) all turn out to be very minor, usually resolving
Katrina
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sadiq is adorable! In this beginning chapter book, Sadiq and his friends problem-solve and work together to create something themselves, rather than relying on others. I loved how the Somali language words were front-loaded with the character introductions so they were already familiar when they came up in the story. The “Talk About It,” “Write It Down” and craft pages in the back are a great way to guide thinking around the book and prompt conversations at home or school. It is refreshing to se ...more
Meghan
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Capstone-Picture Window Books in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I loved this book from cover to cover. We actually have patrons that are Somali and will love this book even more. I loved instead of getting upset about the telescope, Sadiq found the ambition to look up some supplies to build one himself and did everything he could to see if he could find the desert star from his father's sto
Kathie
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Picture Window Books for an eARC of this book.

Sadiq and his friends are learning about space in school. When they see Mars on a trip to an planetarium, they decide to create a space club and raise money for a telescope so they can look at the planet any time they want. When they realise how expensive telescopes are, they learn to make one themselves, raise the funds, and hold a backyard stargazing party.

This is an enjoyable transitional chapter book. There are too few
Autumn
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely and warm little STEM book for newly independent readers! Sadiq and his family are Somali Muslims living in Minnesota. Kids can learn some Somali words, what it's like to go to a planetarium, how to start/fund a club at school, and how to make a DIY telescope in this charming, approachable book. Discussion questions and a glossary are included, as well as some facts about Somalia and a nice clear introductory illustration of all the characters. When I say "We Need Diverse Books", I ...more
Bonnie Grover
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Sadiq series is going to be a great edition for young readers, particularly 3rd graders. This small chapter book follows Sadiq, a Somali boy, as he learns about space and the Desert Star. I like that this book contained a glossary, reader’s questions, writing prompts and an activity to try at home. Students will be able to relate to Sadiq and his adventures on many levels. I am going to share this with teachers and students. Look for the 4-books series coming in August 2019.
Mary
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I really enjoyed this short early chapter book. It was well-written, nicely paced, good illustrations, and a great story! I think this will be a great addition to our collection. I look forward to reading the other three books in the series.
Steph
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Diverse and science-focused, and specifically good for our 2nd-3rd graders.
Kathi Rauscher
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sadiq in my opinion will be a very popular new early reader series. The Desert Star touched on several subject giving enough information to peak interest but not overwhelming.
Earl
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A new early chapter book series featuring a Somali-American boy. A field trip to the planetarium inspires Sadiq to form a Space Club at school.
Kazia
Rebecca
Mar 26, 2019
Leah
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Sadiq and the Desert Star is an early chapter book series that follows Sadiq and his family who are from Somalia and are Muslim. The book does a good job introducing readers to unfamiliar words both at the beginning and the end of the book. I also like that the book offered activities and suggestions after reading. I enjoyed meeting Sadiq and his family but wished a bit more happened during the book. There was no real major problem that Sadiq had to overcome and everything just seemed to fall in ...more
Preeti Sharma