Start by marking “This Strange Hell” as Want to Read:
This Strange Hell

This Strange Hell

A suited man runs from a burning tower in Melbourne as bodies rain down upon him.

Before the city’s millions can compose, he boards a train into the countryside. Hiding his identity and changing his appearance, the man finds his way to Sulley Ridge, a lawless town in the heart of the harsh Victorian outback.

The following day, a burned man wakes up in a hospital bed. Surging
Published March 15th 2019 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about This Strange Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Strange Hell

Yvonne Davies
A man running from the scene of an inferno and a burned man. Why is he running and what are his ties to the injured man?
At the start of the story, the running man was made out to be evil and uncaring, but as I learned more about him, it was hard to believe that Brady Lockhart was behind all those deaths. Ending up in Sulley Ridge, a lawless town enabled the author to introduce us to some unsavoury characters. As you find out more about the evil going on, it makes you wonder how Brady was going t
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
I read this authors previous book and absolutely loved it. I couldn’t resist giving this a go.

Similar to when I read this authors previous book this isn’t a book I could read in one setting. It’s a heavy kinda read..don’t take that as a negative. It’s just my thoughts. Having said that I really enjoyed the story.

I’m hesitant to say anything about the storyline as you need to read it for yourselves. Let the author pull you through a wide range of emotions like he did with me.

The story starts o
Lel Budge
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rachels-rr
Where do I start? This is a tale of the power of fear…….of corruption, brutality and also of the strength and kindness of strangers.

Brady Lockhart, he ran away from the inferno of Barron Tower…..he is named by the burned man as the arsonist. The media and people vilify him and he is hunted by everyone.

He runs, changes his appearance and decides to look for work in a small rural town, Sully Ridge. He’s taken in by Wallace, who rents him a house but he knows who the man really is ……he also knows a
Jessica Belmont
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2019
Wow. Just wow. I could end the review there, give the book 5 stars and tell you to pick This Strange Hell up and read it…but I’ll actually write a review.

C.J. Sutton’s writing is gripping, poetic, and intense. It is unique to him, and I think I would recognize his writing from now on. He hooked me from the first word and held my attention to the very end.

The plot is brutal, bloody and violent. This Strange Hell is the story of fear. But there is also hope and kindness that shines through.

Every c
David
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2019
This book was riddled with problems. The story had potential but the execution wasn't there. My review is here ---> https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1Mf
Heidi Catherine
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had me hooked from the first page. I haven't read a story opener like that for a long time - one that drew me in like this, leaving me desperate to know exactly what had happened and what was still to come. It kept me guessing throughout as I tried to figure out who I could trust, with everything being wrapped up in such a way that it made me want to go straight back to the start and read it again. I dare you to read the first chapter and not continue on... impossible.
Jon Mackley
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a gritty story which opens with an apartment block going up in flames resulting in a massive loss of life and the prime suspect fleeing the scene with an enormous amount of money. Clearly the actions of a guilty man, especially when one of the victims wakes up in hospital and reveals the identity of the suspect. The suspect escapes to an out-of-the-way town in rural Australia, trying to hide, but finding himself in the sights of a violent crime gang.

There is a clever distancing device fo
Catherine Fearns
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was a huge fan of Dortmund Hibernate, and I was equally thrilled with C.J. Sutton's new novel. The writing style is so unique, brave and poetic... this book is not for the faint-hearted, but the dream-like imagery and fast-paced storyline will stay with you for a long time. C.J. Sutton is creating his own subgenre of Australian noir.
Megan
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing premise and great opening chapters that will leave you hooked...Full review coming soon!
Rochelle
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Thank you The Fiction Café-Review and C. J. Sutton for this arc copy.

This is the first book that I have read from this author, and it won’t be my last. What an awesome book. The first chapter of this book had me wondering and from there on I could not put this book down. This is a tale of the power of fear…….of corruption, brutality and also of the strength and kindness of strangers.

I dare you to read the first chapter and not continue on... impossible. This book was addictive and had me wonder
Caroline Venables
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This a really gritty read, not for the faint hearted.

The book starts as ‘The Man’ leaves a burning building and starts on his journey to flee Melbourne and escape to a new life, leaving hundreds of people dead or burned.

Little does he know that he is about to walk into the definition of hell. Sulley Ridge is nothing like he imagined it to be, the quiet outback village is being run by a group of thugs.

He is now the prime suspect of the arson attack in Melbourne and on the run, he has no choice bu
Sharon
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Suspect runs and hides in a country town. Burn victim identifies suspect. Suspect’s name and photos are plastered on television and the newspapers. Burn victim vows vengeance. Suspect tries to redeem himself by helping a stranger and his family. Not everyone is who they seem… not everything is cut and dried…

"He was hated across Melbourne and throughout Victoria. He was hated across Australia and throughout the world, thanks to the power of the internet. And now, in a place of anonymity and equip
Pam Chantrell
Michael McLellan
Mar 13, 2019
Arlene
Mar 17, 2019
C. J. Sutton is a writer based in Melbourne, Australia. He holds a Master of Communication degree and supports the value of study through correspondence. His fictional writing delves into the unpredictability of the human mind and the fears that drive us. As a professional writer C.J. Sutton has worked within the hustle and bustle of newsrooms, the competitive offices of advertising and the trench ...more