Start by marking “The Storm of Life (The Brilliant Death, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Storm of Life (The Brilliant Death, #2)

The Storm of Life

(The Brilliant Death #2)

The sumptuous and powerful conclusion to the gender-fluid duet begun by The Brilliant Death, hailed by Kirkus as "a delicious and magical intrigue too tempting not to devour" (starred review).

Teodora diSangro and Cielo, the strega she loves, are on a mission to save their country of Vinalia from its manipulative leader, who wants to exploit streghe and use them as his weap
Audio CD
Published January 7th 2020 by Listening Library

To ask other readers questions about The Storm of Life, please sign up.
Lokenstein Seems like a duology, as the back cover of this (second) book states ‘the dramatic conclusion to the romantic, genderfluid fantasy duet that began wit…moreSeems like a duology, as the back cover of this (second) book states ‘the dramatic conclusion to the romantic, genderfluid fantasy duet that began with The Brilliant Death’.(less)

Start your review of The Storm of Life (The Brilliant Death, #2)
Meagan ✊🏼 Blacklivesmatter ✊🏼Blacktranslivesmatter
2020 Popsugar Reading Challenege
Read a book by an author with flora or fauna in their name

Pretty forgettable but still enjoyable. I still love Teo and Cielo. I just wish we got more of those two. I feel like they were separated a lot. But when they were on page together 🥰🥰🥰
Iris
Jan 28, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Okay can someone please explain to me WHY this is... not listed as a sequel to The Brilliant Death on goodreads, despite the blurb making it very clear that it is??? Because I totally though The Brilliant Death was a standalone...

I'm all of a sudden a whole lot more satisfied with how The Brilliant Death ended...

Anyways I NEED THIS ASAP. I need to see how my darling Cielo and Teo are doing! And ahhhhhh how am I supposed to wait?!?!?! I NEED IT. NOW PLEASE.
E.
When did it get a cover???? 👀👀👀
_______________________
Nothing makes me happier about the rapid linear passage of time than release date saying 2020 and my calendar saying 2019

__________________________

insta | twitter | blog | booksirens | duolingo
Stella ☆Paper Wings☆
I have around the same feelings about this book that I had about the first in the series, The Brilliant Death. This series is fun, it's queer, it's bloody, and it's romantic. While I remember The Brilliant Death was marketed as a kind of mafia-inspired fantasy, having finished the duology, it seems more like it's based on the Italian unification (going off of my limited knowledge of the Risorgimento), which made the concept way more interesting.

I did feel like the execution felt a bit
Enne
4 stars

I really enjoyed this conclusion to the Brilliant Death duology. I absolutely loved reading about nonbinary people falling in love and saving their kingdom and I thought this was a really solid installment in this series. It wasn't my favorite, as I thought there were definitely some things plotwise that hadn't been tied up as neatly as they could have been and I found myself still harboring some unanswered questions at the end of the story.

That said, I did really enjoy all the developme
noah
I read The Brilliant Death earlier this year and loved it. I thought it was so creative and unique and I couldn't wait for the next book. So, you can imagine my delight when I was approved for an ARC of The Storm of Life. I started it immediately, but somehow I wasn't connecting with the characters and the story as much as I did with the first book.

I read The Brilliant Death in one sitting. I stayed up all night eager to see what would become of Teodora and Cielo. This time I read in starts and
Ellie J.
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5 stars
Recommended for people who like:
fantasy, court intrigue, magic, genderfluid characters, pansexual characters, LGBTQ rep, fantasy, fantasy Italy

Teo and Cielo are back with even more action, and trouble, than before. After the ending of the last book, this one opens with the two of them traveling to warn other streghe of the Capo's plans to kill them to acquire power. There's definitely some romantic and magic shenanigans on the way, but true to form they rather quickly end up in an eve
iz
Mar 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
this was a mixed bag, but I think despite how much it dragged and the problems I had with it, I'm happy with it and I'm glad I read it so that I could get to their happy ending 💕 ...more
Emily Forsyth
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All of the stars

This duology is EVERYTHING. the magic system and the way it works in this series is so cool, and the romance is just so beautiful I could cry
Andie
Feb 05, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I'm rating it even though it's a DNF at page 260 because abuse is completely unacceptable. This book unconvinced me of Teodora and Cielo's love.
P.S. It's weird when there's sex scenes with underage characters and it's not fade to black. I don't care how vaguely put it is I do. not. wanna. read that!! If you want to celebrate genderfluid love and sex simply make your characters not underage and actually in love with each other cause this ain't it.
Annie
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I was not in the right mood for this, to be honest. I would have given this a higher rating had i been in the mood for such a story...
But I really didn’t feel Cielo and Teo’s connection, though I was told repeatedly how and how much they felt, and some of the writing was flowery and grand when I would have appreciated simpler more direct writing. Just the mood I guess
Sandra
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars rounding to 5. I loved The Brilliant Death and the many original ways the story is told. Book 2 is no different; the author tells this gender fluid story in a beautiful, interesting and creative way, I can’t help but fall in love more with Teodora and Cielo. The magic is new and the romance and twists worth a slow read. I loved this book and is a great follow up and completion to the story.
Cecilia
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, lgbtqia, ya
Starr ❇✌❇
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: next, reviewed
TW: physical abuse, attempted kidnap & murder of an infant
3.6

It's always so hard writing reviews for sequels- especially when the first book takes up space in your mind. I really liked The Brilliant Death, and I was excited to read this book when I realized there was going to be a sequel. Unfortunately, it didn't hit quite how I wanted it to, but it was the same characters I loved, and I'll pretty much read anything Capetta writes, so I didn't dislike it either.

I think the main problem I had
Echo
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-sequels
3.5/4 stars

I loved this series, though my attention span during the book did waver a lot I feel that's more on me since I've been going through a reading slump.

The Storm of Life explores more about a person's gender identity. There is a difference between being gender fluid and being non-binary, which I remember people's reviews of the first book seemed to miss understand.

The magic in the book is expanded upon and so is the world.

One of the things that I felt that could have been expanded upon
A K
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So 3.5/5 stars. Allow me to explain. This was a lovely little fantasy book with plenty of fantasy politics. It’s about love, family, and new beginnings. Teo and Cielo explore their relationship as well as the path they plan to take after The Brilliant Death. I really did fall in love with their love. It was a nice book, though it did take me a bit to get through. The first seventy pages or so of the book felt very scattered and a little confusing, like having to play mental catchup. Maybe it was ...more
Sarah Yung
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I haven't read the first book, which is usually a huge detractor for me. However, Capetta does a good job of smoothly introducing the magic system and integrating past plot points into the narrative. Less effective, in my opinion, is the establishment of previous relationships—I don't think I got the full emotional impact of Teo's feelings toward her family members, for example, though we certainly got a strong enough sense of Teo's physical feelings toward Cielo and vice versa.

Ultimately, I enj
Liza Vivi
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the second book of the series...
On the first couple of chapters were so good, but after teo die everything went wrong and strega had to cover him and Teodora it is just so sturborn and it doesn't help at all for his father to control his magic and her personal life, Cielo it is a good guy even if he change into a girl he always loves Teodora, and Teodora lover her or him whenever for he is taking...I Really liked so far the book, but I wanted more action into cielo's relationship with Te
Lauren
Jenna
Anne
Sequel to "A Brilliant Death" (which I have not read)
Teo and her love Cielo are streghe (strega), powerful witches. They are trying to keep their beloved out of a war and out of the hands of a power crazed individual who has an agenda against all streghe.

It took me a while to get into the story - because I didn't realize it was a sequel. Then it made more sense.
Lots of sexual references and situations. Teo and Cielo cannot keep their hands off each other. Non-graphic sex on page. Violence. But
Kat
#TheStormofLife #Edelweiss
A genderfluid novel that has a unique feel. It will find an audience of teens and young adults that will love the balance of individualism. The backdrop is descriptive and blends harmonically with the characters. I could not get over the unique feel of the novel. The novel is a sequel to A Brillant Death.
Thank you to Edelweiss and Viking Books for the opportunity to read and review the E-arc copy of this novel.
Michelle
Not a bad ending to the two-part series. Much of it, however, I barely paid attention to because it just dragged on. I also was not impressed with the sex scenes. It's a fantasy novel. Romance happens in fantasy novel, but full on sex scenes? It's also a YA nivel un that the protagonists are young adults. With these sex scenes, there's no way I could recommend this to a student. The sex scenes added absolutely nothing to the story. ...more
Toni
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hi. If anyone knows of any other fantasy novels where gender-fluidity and magic are explored please share!!! This is all I want!! It’s so beautiful and exactly the kind of fantasy I crave. This story was so perfect I love these characters so much I’m. Basically I’m dead now so thanks! Cory and Amy are my hero’s and I would die for them.
Kathrin
I was a huge fan of this second installment in the series and I really liked how the duology ended. The series balances wonderfully between action, slow moments, and romance. It has a villain that you did not expect at the beginning. The storyline between Teo and Cielo is fantastic and I definitely wanted more from them.
Lena Barsky
Dec 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GENDERFLUID WITCHES! GENDER IS MAGIC!

Four stars instead of five because, just like with the first book in the duology, sometimes it felt like plot points and emotional beats were moving really fast and could’ve used moments to breathe? BUT love found family, love radical world-shaping based on acceptance and freedom, love the Teo-Cielo relationship so much.
Emily
Dec 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It wasn't quite as good as the first one, but still. I loved the world, it was engaging and fun. The characters were well developed and relatable. The downside of this book was that it fell flat compared to The Brilliant Death, and the climax wasn't that exciting. Other than that I would recommend this to anyone who likes fantasy worlds with magic and fun characters. ...more
a.
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
beautiful beautiful writing and the representation is immaculate;
however, i think the pacing and plot is a tiny bit distracting for the whole picture
either way, i highly recommend this duology (would love to see it adapted!!)
Roslyn K
I definitely enjoyed the first book more. I could never quite figure out the timelines if this book. It felt like it should have taken weeks or months but I think it might have only been days? I honestly have no idea and it definitely made it a less satisfying read overall.
Rysonbran
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I love Cielo and Teo and I so wish there was a third book to this series so it didn't have to end so soon, but it was so good I flew through both books within two days. This series definitely made it into my list of favourites! ...more

• American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • The Winter Duke
  • I'm Not Dying with You Tonight
  • Frankly in Love
  • The Bears' Christmas Surprise
  • Jack Goes West
  • Ghost Wood Song
  • The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo, #1)
  • Go with the Flow
  • Magic Ramen: The Story of Momofuku Ando
  • Home in the Woods
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Inland
  • Beware of Married Men
  • The Serpent's Shadow (The Kane Chronicles, #3)
A. R. Capetta (all pronouns), the author of Echo After Echo and The Lost Coast, has lived in Austin and worked as a professional baker, and holds a master of fine arts in writing for children and young adults from VCFA. A.R. Capetta is married to author Cory McCarthy; they live in Vermont with their young baker.

The Brilliant Death (2 books)
  • The Brilliant Death (The Brilliant Death, #1)