Start by marking “Pet” as Want to Read:
Pet

Pet

A thought-provoking and haunting novel about a creature that escapes from an artist's canvas, whose talent is sniffing out monsters in a world that claims they don't exist anymore. Perfect for fans of Akata Witch and Shadowshaper .

There are no monsters anymore, or so the children in the city of Lucille are taught. Jam and her best friend, Redemption, have grown up
Published September 10th 2019 by Make Me a World

karen
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

All knowledge is good knowledge, Pet said.

I don’t know if that’s true, Jam thought back. It doesn’t feel true right now.

Truth doesn’t care if it feels true or not. It is true nonetheless.

in the world of books and publishing, some titles are marketed as YA with the expectation that they will have crossover appeal into the adult market, and some are intended to pull in strong-reading tweens looking to grow out of their middle grade options.

this one feels like it was written for th
Elyse Walters
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having been a ridiculously-crazy-mind-blowing fan of “FRESHWATER”, by Akwaeke Emezi’s debut autobiographical novel - It took seconds to request a copy of “PET”, the moment I saw the book on Netgalley.

I love the “About the Book”, sentence....created by the advertising folks:
“PET IS HERE TO HUNT A MONSTER. ARE YOU BRAVE ENOUGH TO LOOK?”

Yes...yes...yes....I put on my ‘brave’ hat, wrapped myself in my new gorgeous ‘brave’ blanket ( made by my wonderful-moon-friend) - snuggled into my ‘brave’ chair
Kai
when a highly awaited book actually exceeds my expectations all I wanna do is cry and give a sacrificial offering to whatever gods held its fate in their hands
Acqua
Pet is a story about how evil – any kind of evil – thrives in plain sight when people start refusing to look for it, to acknowledge that it can and does exist. It’s a story about how this refusal of any kind of discomfort, this hiding from the world’s truth, hurts and silences victims.

It follows Jam, a black trans girl with selective mutism who lives in Lucille, a town in a future version of America that would look like an utopia to us. Not only the people around Jam accept all of her as she is,
Kathryn Speckels
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
A refreshing #OwnVoices story offering a fresh, highly relevant take on the concept of angels and monsters, Pet proves that Akwaeke Emezi can write for younger audiences just as well as they can for adults.

Pet is, at its heart, a story about finding and eliminating evil, even—or especially—when that evil goes unnoticed by most. Jam, a selectively-nonverbal black trans girl, finds herself caught in a moral quandary when a terrifying creature climbs out of one of her mother’s paintings and into t
Tyler
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I had to choose only one author to read for the rest of my life, it would be Akwaeke Emezi. This book is beautiful and brilliant, and I will carry Emezi’s words with me for a long, long time.
Dahlia
This was just so smart, so fast? That feels like such a silly thing to say but I was just so impressed with how much the author accomplished in the first chapter alone. The whole book felt really short without feeling incomplete, quick and relevant, and it made me really glad I also own FRESHWATER. I also can’t not mention that I’m pretty sure this is traditional publishing’s first trans girl MC of color, so I’m glad that milestone is in a great book! (CW: CSA)
Michelle
A wise man once said that ignorance is bliss. PET is a story about a fictional town called Lucille. Its citizens believe they have rid their city of monsters.
Monsters who . . . "shoot people who don't look like them".
Monsters who . . . "use religion to control people".
Monsters in power.

Lucille is supposed to be a place that is free of these human monsters. So when Jam comes across a creature formed from her mother's painting and a few drops of her blood, she doesn't know what to make of it. A l
Ben Rosenstock
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's something about this book that just feels different: unique and otherwordly, a sort of fairy tale set in a world pretty much the same as ours, just with a few magical elements. Akwaeke Emezi's debut novel, Freshwater, was so good because it felt so different from anything I'd ever read; this is the same, though being YA it's a bit more accessible and straightforward.

I love how simple the book is when it comes to plot and setting. It's a pretty small cast of characters, and a straightforw
Sara
review to come
Sana
Feb 24, 2018 marked it as anti-library  ·  review of another edition
So this is about 'finding monsters in a world that claims they don’t exist anymore'? Yessssss, please be awesome
Karla Strand
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With their latest book, PET, Akwaeke Emezi does it again.

On its most basic level, this is story set in the near-future where the monsters of our present have been overcome and banished by heroic angels, some of whom are still alive, but who our main characters, best friends Jam and Redemption, mostly read about in books. After Jam awakens Pet, a fantastical beast on a mission, they set out to hunt a monster in Redemption's midst that he isn't even aware exists. The book blends the magical, the
Rajiv
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Firstly, I would like to thank the publishers of Make me a world for giving me an advanced e-copy of this book for my review. I really don’t like giving negative feedback in general because I know the author and a whole team of people take a lot of time to put a book out there. Having said that, I really did not like reading the book and was very disappointing with it.

What I liked about Pet is how it highlights that even an idyllic world could be filled with monsters. Rather than facing the mons
Patti Sabik
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
3.5 I wanted to love this book...cover=gorgeous; monsters=yes, please; transgender protagonist=yay!; Christopher Myers imprint=just plain of course. The writing was beautiful and I did love getting lost in the words, but the story felt a bit contrived. The beginning was somewhat slow and the rest of the book was very heavy. Personally, I think it would have been good to start the book when Jam is with Bitter’s painting and then go back and introduce everyone and explain Jam’s history. By then th ...more
Melody Boggs
This review can also be found on my blog, Where the Words Take Me.

Thank you, NetGalley and the publisher, for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

From its distinctive prose to its powerful message, Pet by Akwaeke Emezi is a compelling novel that asks us to be watchful of monsters, especially those that look, act, and smile just like us.

Our story follows Jam, who was born in a world without monsters. During her parents’ youth, the world finally got tired of the political corruptio
Catherine
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, lgbtq, ya
I accidentally read the whole book in one sitting. I think this is probably one of the best books I've read all year.
Ellie
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a beautiful, evocative, and diverse read PET is the book for you.

We follow our main character Jam, a young girl who lives in Lucille, a town in a place that is America but not quite. Lucille is special. Before Jam was born there were monsters--corrupt politicians, police shooters, murderers, rapists. The lowest of the low. Then the angels came; people who got rid of the monsters and made their community a safe haven for everyone.

Or so they believe.

When Jam's mother paints
Simon Pelletier
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
It's bad. It's a young adult novel written as a middle grade story. There were some weird choices on the author's part like the choice of names who don't mean anything and the fact that Jam's parents can't talk in a proper English although the rest of the characters are fine.
I really expected that talking about Jam's sex change and operation was gonna lead to something, like it's gonna be important to the story. But it's not. They could have just mentioned she was trans and be done with it, lik
Nicole
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-may-19, arc-read
Copy received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Pet was a short but powerful read about a world where angels used to rule but are, for the most part, no longer around in society. A girl named Jam accidentally summons Pet, a creature who is on the hunt for a "monster" hidden in Jam's friend Redemption's house.

This novel was really cool. I loved the story and the message, but the characters were by far the strongest part of the book. Pet has to do with family bonds and what happens
Aly
This is such a short, quirky book, but it definitely works! Despite this being just over 200 pages long, we get a full-fledged, character-driven story. The characters are the true powerhouse in this book. The author did an amazing job on these characters, because without them this book wouldn't have worked as well as it did. Jam is off to help Pet destroy a "monster" that is located in her friend's (Redemption) house. It brings a really strong message that I'm sure many people can connect with. ...more
Hannah
In PET, Emezi skillfully ponders the the question of whether we can ever truly rid ourselves of the monsters that haunt us. They delve deeply into ethical concepts while also immersing readers in Jam's rich inner world and her devoted friendship with Redemption. Here is a novel that elegantly tangles with relevant issues. Here is a novel that will stay with readers long after they close the book, contemplating the monsters we have yet to confront.
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so different and brilliant. Exceptional writing and a really powerful story.
Paisley Green
In Pet, a black trans teenage girl named Jam lives in a utopian town, Lucille, where monsters have been eradicated by angels:

"It was the angels who took apart the prisons and police; who held counsels prosecuting the former officers who shot children and murdered people, sentencing them to restitution and rehabilitation. . . the angels banned firearms . . . the angels took the laws and changed them, tore down those horrible statues of rich men who'd owned people and fought to keep owning people.
Anneke
Publisher: Random House Children’s Make Me A World
Publication Date: September 10, 2019
Review Date: July 21, 2019

From the blurb:
“The highly-anticipated, genre-defying new novel by award-winning author Akwaeke Emezi that explores themes of identity and justice. Pet is here to hunt a monster. Are you brave enough to look?

There are no monsters anymore, or so the children in the
Autumn
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magical-realism, ya

The beginning of this was so good. The idea of monstrosity and how people can commit atrocities while blending into a crowd, taking advantage of their supposed invisibility, is fascinating and Emezi had me hooked with this concept. I enjoyed the discussions of good vs. evil, angels vs. monsters, how to reform society, what compromises to make in order to institute a utopia, etc.

What lacked for me was the actual plot. Jam's mother, Bitter, paints and one day a piece that she has just ma
Angela
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You humans and your binaries, Pet said. It is not a good thing or a bad thing. It is just a thing."

Jam is growing up in the town of Lucille in the near future where "monsters" aka All Things Evil are a concept of the past. Or are they? Via the assistance of a canvas-painting-turned-real-life-creature named Pet, Jam discovers that maybe, just maybe, all of the monsters haven't been eradicated after all. And it's up to Jam and Pet to suss out the monster that may be terrorizing Jam's bestie Redem
Perla The IB Teen Book Blogger
It is said that there can be no darkness without light, Pet is here to prove that saying absolutely correct.

HOW DO YOU SAVE THE WORLD FROM MONSTERS IF NO ONE WILL ADMIT THEY EXIST?

This book poses such an amazing question, one that history has proven time and again, that ignorance is not bliss. Take the Soviet Union, they said that there was no murder in the utopia of the Soviet Union, and because of that, a child serial murderer by the name of Andrei Chikatilo killed at least 50 people (mostly y
Becky
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pet by Akwaeke Emezi is a phenomenal novel, I had really high expectations for Emezi's YA debut after loving their brilliant novel Freshwater, and wow do they deliver. I was captured immediately, got emotional several times, and loved every minute of this page turning novel about Jam, a Black trans girl who joins forces with an otherworldly being called Pet that crawls out of a painting with the mission to hunt a monster.

Jam lives in the city of Lucille, where there are no monsters. The systems
Kate Grace
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Akwaeke Emezi’s Pet is an odd and wonderful fever dream of a novel.

Written for a YA audience, and straddling genres as varied as folktale and utopia (dystopia?), the book isn’t afraid to raise tough questions. For example, it challenges the idea that ignorance is bliss, and reminds us that appearances aren’t everything.

Are we, then, truly looking and listening and speaking up when needed?

In addition to its social/political relevance, the book’s strengths include Emezi’s poetic style and Jam’s
Ms. Mester
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Whew. No surprise but this is a stunner staight out of the gate for Christopher Myers' new imprint, Make Me a World. His introduction alone will give teens & teachers ideas to chew on and discuss. Though a short book, I read this so slowly because it was beautifully written (the kennings they created, the impact and heft of their word choices) and emotional and powerful and I wanted to savor it. They created a world after social justice movements like BLM have been successful, but the adults ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • Meteor
  • Have a Little Faith in Me
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Muse
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Chilling Effect
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Harley in the Sky
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)
  • What Monstrous Gods
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • The Sound of Stars
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)
  • SLAY