Start by marking “The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)

The Guinevere Deception

(Camelot Rising #1)

From New York Times bestselling author Kiersten White comes a new fantasy series reimagining the Arthurian legend, set in the magical world of Camelot.

There was nothing in the world as magical and terrifying as a girl.

Princess Guinevere has come to Camelot to wed a stranger: the charismatic King Arthur. With magic clawing at the kingdom's borders, the great wizard Merlin
Library Binding, 352 pages
Published November 5th 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Guinevere Deception, please sign up.
Melly
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mara YA Mood Reader Yes. But it’s not a typical YA love-triangle, it’s not all consuming, boy-pining, swooning, insta-love nonsense. I found it quite relatable and real…moreYes. But it’s not a typical YA love-triangle, it’s not all consuming, boy-pining, swooning, insta-love nonsense. I found it quite relatable and real and actually enjoyed it. (less)

Start your review of The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
Chaima ✨ شيماء
(jolts up awake) OH SHIT Kiersten White, queen of retellings, is writing a reimagining of the Arthurian legend and it's coming out this year!!!!!!!!
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, courtesy of NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

description

I was so excited for the release of this book and for the most part...it didn't disappoint. I'm pretty familiar with Arthurian mythology, so I think that if you are, as well, you might be able to predict some of the plot points! But there are also enough original twists in the story to also keep you guessing as you read. However, if you're fairly new to the Arthurian myths, everything is
jessica
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am the kind of person where, once i find something i really enjoy, i practically obsess over it. and i think my newest obsession is arthurian mythology because, oh my gosh, this story is everything i never knew was missing from my life.

im pretty sure i saw disneys ‘the sword in the stone’ when i was a kid but, beyond that, i know absolutely nothing about merlin, king arthur, camelot, or the knights of the round table. but this story is making me want to drop everything and read anything about
Emily May
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, 2019, arc, young-adult
That was not a finite or controlled magic. It was a wild and dark and dangerous magic. It was a violent magic, undoing the record of a life and giving it to someone else.

A couple of earlier books aside, Kiersten White is a fave of mine. I enjoyed her historical fiction that reimagined Vlad the Impaler as a woman - And I Darken; I enjoyed her Frankenstein retelling - The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein; and, against all odds, I enjoyed her Buffy spin-off - Slayer. So I'm surprised that
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
No! No! No! And for the last time screaming till my throat rips apart: “NOOOOO!!!THIS IS NOT THE RETELLING I’VE DREAMT OF”

I’m die-hard fan of Kiersten White’s retellings. I truly enjoyed “Conqueror saga” (especially third book: Bright We Burn was magnificent. Any fantasy lover should devour this book at one bite!) So as soon as I heard she wrote a retelling about Guinevere and King Arthur, I started doing handsprings but accidentally hit my feet to coffee table but that’s okay, I’m limping like
megs_bookrack
There is a magic within her, a power, that even she has yet to find the limit of.

In its opening pages, we find an unsure Princess Guinevere arriving in Camelot for the first time.

Sent to marry King Arthur, all she knows of him are what the legends tell. For he is a great man, the greatest, the one to pull the sword from the stone.

While it is true, he is a great King, one who strives to make the kingdom a better place, there are those outside the kingdom who threaten him.

Unbeknownst to anyone
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
December Owlcrate Unboxing! Click on the GOODIES LINK below the pic to see the GOODIES! I got this book aready in my other book box but this is a different color cover so I'm keeping both!

THE GOODIES LINK

November Faecrate Unboxing! Click on the GOODIES LINK below the pic to see the GOODIES! I wanted this book and I got it! Yay!

GOODIES LINK

That cover is amaze balls!! I want the damn art!!

Mel
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
2 Stars

Sigh.

I love the Arthurian Legend and snagged this immediately when I saw it as a Book if the Month YA choice. I was really excited at the thought of Guinevere having magical powers and being sent to protect Arthur for once instead of simply being the damsel in a distressful love triangle.

And while I do appreciate the effort made here to make female characters strong and with agency...I felt the Feminist underpinnings and what seems to be the constant need for “representation” in every
Chelsea Humphrey
BOTM YA choice for November 2019!

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Amy Imogene Reads
This is a 4 star ending trapped behind a 2 star first half.

The Guinevere Deception is a story about women's agency and their role in myth—and cleverly ties together known aspects of the Arthurian legends with some much needed LGBT+ and modern sensibilities.

Pacing: 1/2
Introduction:
Surprises:
Ending:

I'm so mad at this book because it does not put its best foot forward. The Guinevere Deception starts out so simplistic, so run-of-the-mill, that it's boring. Boring boring. Skim-worthy, even.

But
Mara YA Mood Reader
Where’d my socks go, Kiersten? You knocked them the hell off!
Have you ever seen Merlin the British tv series with Colin Morgan? It’s from 2008 to 2012, an older show but I found it in 2015 on Netflix and all five seasons became my life!

I’ve always been intrigued by Arthurian legend, ever since childhood with Excalibur. But that level of intrigue went to new depths when I discovered Merlin.

Before this, I had only read one other of Kiersten White’s amazing works: The Dark Descent of Elizabeth
Nick
May 08, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
just imagine this cover in a hardcover copy
Boston
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mrs. White? Ma’am I need to know if Guinevere is queer.
emma
Nov 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
let it be known that i am interested in EVERY fairytale-y retelling that includes magic and darkness and women being the ones who actually got sh*t done.
Shannon
Jul 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
Can Merlin be young and have dark raven hair and adorably large ears?
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Mar 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
SCREAMS.

AN ARTHURIAN RETELLING???!?!?!!?!?!!??!?!?!?!!?!

ASDA1@#!@SDKSD)()$*#FGH!@#!#)!@#AKSDLJASDKAS:D.!@#_!(@)_!@)#Y!@(#)!* )!D:SFK
@#)$()ASIQWPJOPCXJVLWMFPQKFQ:S{_#$!@vsd!!!???!!!!

my poor broke college ass will drop out because im going to be fucking screwed over by all these AMAZING NEW 2019 RELEASES!!!!
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
I think my main problem with this book is it offered up too many questions but provided me with very few answers. And the answers I did get felt lackluster and somehow too easy.

Instead of the intriguing, magical tale, I was promised I got a lukewarm story that never seemed to settle with me properly.

Sad to say, because I am a fan of Ms. White's other works. But this was just not for me.

Guinevere's relationship with Arthur was also a mixed point for me. They clearly value and respect each
Navessa
Whoo boy, do I have some things to say about this one.

A lot of my friends on Goodreads lamented over the first 80% of this book and thought it picked up at the end. I had the opposite reaction. Because of course I did. I actually loved the beginning of this. I was drawn into the mystery and the intrigue. I have a long attention span, and so I was HERE for the minor details of the time period and setting.

And then the book ended…

Gather round, friends, and settle in for another Feminist Rant That
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
4,5 « jigsaw puzzle » stars

I love Kiersten White’s « The Conquerors saga” and when I learned that she had a release planned about Arthurian legend, I was over the moon.

Then, I saw many disappointed reviews and began to stress….

Well maybe I am easy to please or I roll with the flow but I had a great time reading!

This was read in one day while I kept falling asleep not out of boredom but because I had the flu. Every time my eyes drooped I was so frustrated as I wanted to keep reading! That in my
Alaina
OMG I GOT THE ARC! I don’t care if it’s a week before it gets published - I AM EXCITED!

RTC PEOPLE! I NEED TO RECOVER

I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I also have the physical book and YET I still read the ARC first - props? I think so.

The Guinevere Deception was a wild ride. Honestly, I don't read a lot of king Arthur retellings so I was really excited for this one to come out. After reading it, well.. I'm still secretly screaming for book two. Even though
Katie.dorny
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was a 2 star all the way up until the last few chapters and it FINALLY became interesting. 2019 has failed me with my anticipated reads.

Here we meet Guinevere, quite a lost little soul who spends most of the book attempting to be the hero but ends up being saved by the incredible gender defying Lancelot. She was a lovely surprise that made the book single handily worth it.

Guinevere is supposed to be our hero but is actually quite a delicate flower until the second half of the book and only
Candace Robinson
ARC received via publisher!
Megan ❀
dnf at 98 pages

Listen, NO ONE is more upset than me about this. Kiersten White's And I Darken is one of my favorite books, so naturally I was absolutely ecstatic about a new retelling trilogy from her. But after 100 pages of The Guinevere Deception, the only feeling I have towards the book is overwhelming boredom.

I don't mind slow reads. I know some people don't like them, but I have no issue with them as long as there's something to keep intrigued - be it the characters, atmosphere,
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Sorry I didn't write down any trigger warnings for this book while I was listening to it (I listened to the majority of it while driving so I couldn't stop to write anything down).

This started off really strong and i think that's 100% due to the AMAZING audiobook narration. If I wasn't listening to it, I might have DNF'd it at around halfway because I feel like we were kept in the dark for way too long and I started to lose interest. I also didn't really connect with any of the characters and
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
When I was a teen, every weekend my family gathered to watch the BBC's Merlin. It ran for five seasons and was filled with magic, friendship and most important of all - heart.

I'm also a fan of Kiersten White. I think she's an incredible writer - her historical trilogy, a retelling focusing on Vlad the Impaler (with the twist of Vlad being a woman) & starting with And I Darken is a masterpiece; it is complex, political and deeply engaging. The characters of were raw and real.

So: my love for
Melanie (mells_view)
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
There was good, and there was evil, but there was so much space between the two.

Ok. So before reading this one I read some of the negative reviews, so I was mentally prepared for the first parts of the story to be slow rolling. And it was exactly that, slow slow rolling. But oddly, I enjoyed it. I am someone who does NOT usually enjoy so much building of a retelling world, but this is sort of an alt universe Camelot, so there was a bit of building that was necessary. It definitely picks up
Alexandra Elend Wolf
Feb 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
This cover is beautiful so beautiful.

I just want to stare at it all day.
_______________________

Isn't it crazy how I keep adding Kristen White's books to my tbr when I haven't read a single one? A little bit. But, hey! They all sound amazing! And I keep swearing that I'll find time to read them soon

Also, White's personality? Love her! I think her sense of humor is just like mine. And yes, I'll keep adding her books to my tbr just because of that. I don't feel ashamed.
Emma
Thoroughly enjoyed this!
Yodamom
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, fantasy, fairy-tale
Camelot has kicked out Merlin, and moved into a magic free zone. It is forbidden to use magic inside the borders. Arthur is under some sort of danger so he must marry a protector (Guinevere) disguised as his bride. This protector is a magical person and King Arthur knows. So what is going on ?
Guinevere who isn’t Guinevere is sent to save the King. She must protect him from what ? she doesn’t know, how would she do this saving ? She doesn’t know. She doesn’t know a lot. Merlin her father but not
Nicki Chapelway
Feb 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
I don't even tend to like Kiersten White books, but the second she said Arthurian mythology with changelings... I was on board.

• The Weight of a Soul
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • Winterwood
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Bone Houses
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Song of the Crimson Flower
  • Reverie
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
Kiersten White is the New York Times bestselling author of many books for teens and young readers, including And I Darken, Now I Rise, Bright We Burn, The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, and Slayer. She lives with her family near the ocean in San Diego, where she perpetually lurks in the shadows. Visit Kiersten online at KierstenWhite.com and follow @KierstenWhite on Twitter.

Camelot Rising (3 books)
  • Untitled (Camelot Rising, #2)
  • Untitled (Camelot Rising, #3)
“Women truly were the stronger gender. All the subtle games they had to play, the way they teased power from those around them! She had much to learn there.” 1 likes
“was there not enough peril in the world already without the dangers of simply being a woman?” 1 likes