Start by marking “The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)

The Guinevere Deception

(Camelot Rising #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  15,608 ratings  ·  3,545 reviews
A new fantasy series set in the world of Camelot that bestselling author Christina Lauren calls brilliant, reimagining the Arthurian legend . . . where nothing is as magical and terrifying as a girl.

Princess Guinevere has come to Camelot to wed a stranger: the charismatic King Arthur. With magic clawing at the kingdom's borders, the great wizard Merlin conjured a solution-
Library Binding, 352 pages
Published November 5th 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Guinevere Deception, please sign up.
Allison It hints at something in the future. I would say it's more about Guinevere wanting to be loved and not knowing where to direct those feelings. So ther…moreIt hints at something in the future. I would say it's more about Guinevere wanting to be loved and not knowing where to direct those feelings. So there's a glimmer of a love triangle or maybe even quadrilateral? It is nowhere near resolved at the end.(less)

·  15,608 ratings  ·  3,545 reviews

Start your review of The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
Emily May
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2019, arc
That was not a finite or controlled magic. It was a wild and dark and dangerous magic. It was a violent magic, undoing the record of a life and giving it to someone else.

A couple of earlier books aside, Kiersten White is a fave of mine. I enjoyed her historical fiction that reimagined Vlad the Impaler as a woman - And I Darken; I enjoyed her Frankenstein retelling - The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein; and, against all odds, I enjoyed her Buffy spin-off - Slayer. So I'm surprised that
Helena Paris
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, courtesy of NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

description

I was so excited for the release of this book and for the most part...it didn't disappoint. I'm pretty familiar with Arthurian mythology, so I think that if you are, as well, you might be able to predict some of the plot points! But there are also enough original twists in the story to also keep you guessing as you read. However, if you're fairly new to the Arthurian myths, everything is
megs_bookrack
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
**3.5-stars rounded up**

There is a magic within her, a power with limits unknown.

Guinevere arrives in Camelot with heavy trepidation in her heart. She has been sent to marry King Arthur, a man she has never met.

All she knows of him are what the legends say, that he is a great man. He's the one who pulled the legendary sword from the stone.

While this is true, Arthur is a great King, who strives to make the kingdom a better place, there are those outside the kingdom who want him gone.

Unbeknownst
jessica
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am the kind of person where, once i find something i really enjoy, i practically obsess over it. and i think my newest obsession is arthurian mythology because, oh my gosh, this story is everything i never knew was missing from my life.

im pretty sure i saw disneys ‘the sword in the stone’ when i was a kid but, beyond that, i know absolutely nothing about merlin, king arthur, camelot, or the knights of the round table. but this story is making me want to drop everything and read anything about
Cindy
Apr 02, 2020 rated it liked it
While I do like gender bent stories and seeing Guinevere’s perspective as the main protagonist, I found the story to be too slow for my tastes with not enough drama to excite me throughout.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
No! No! No! And for the last time screaming till my throat rips apart: “NOOOOO!!!THIS IS NOT THE RETELLING I’VE DREAMT OF”

I’m die-hard fan of Kiersten White’s retellings. I truly enjoyed “Conqueror saga” (especially third book: Bright We Burn was magnificent. Any fantasy lover should devour this book at one bite!) So as soon as I heard she wrote a retelling about Guinevere and King Arthur, I started doing handsprings but accidentally hit my feet to coffee table but that’s okay, I’m limping like
emma
I have next to nothing to say about this book.

Well, except the fact that my reading it single-handedly doubled the global use of the Audible “back 30 seconds” button. I was so bored while listening to it that even though I was doing other things - playing Sims, cleaning, revising my world domination plans - my mind STILL wandered.

It’s that boring.

There’s no plot to be spoken of, unless you count “girl who we are supposed to think is strong and powerful and cool wandering around doing f*ck-all a
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $1.99 Kindle US today 10/8/20

December Owlcrate Unboxing! Click on the GOODIES LINK below the pic to see the GOODIES! I got this book aready in my other book box but this is a different color cover so I'm keeping both!

THE GOODIES LINK

November Faecrate Unboxing! Click on the GOODIES LINK below the pic to see the GOODIES! I wanted this book and I got it! Yay!

GOODIES LINK

That cover is amaze balls!! I want the damn art!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Boston
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mrs. White? Ma’am I need to know if Guinevere is queer.

Edit: we have confirmation that Guinevere is in fact bi. The gays win once again!
Melanie
i think i'm just destined to always give 3 stars to kiersten white's books

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Buddy Read with Riley! ❤
Val ⚓️ Shameless Handmaiden ⚓️
2 Stars

Sigh.

I love the Arthurian Legend and snagged this immediately when I saw it as a Book if the Month YA choice. I was really excited at the thought of Guinevere having magical powers and being sent to protect Arthur for once instead of simply being the damsel in a distressful love triangle.

And while I do appreciate the effort made here to make female characters strong and with agency...I felt the Feminist underpinnings and what seems to be the constant need for “representation” in every bo
Mara YA Mood Reader
Where’d my socks go, Kiersten? You knocked them the hell off!
Have you ever seen Merlin the British tv series with Colin Morgan? It’s from 2008 to 2012, an older show but I found it in 2015 on Netflix and all five seasons became my life!

I’ve always been intrigued by Arthurian legend, ever since childhood with Excalibur. But that level of intrigue went to new depths when I discovered Merlin.

Before this, I had only read one other of Kiersten White’s amazing works: The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Fr
human
(3.5/5)

I... really liked this?

Okay, don't look at your screen like that. I had practically set myself up for failure, all things considered. I mean, as much as I love Merthur Arthurian Legend, if there's something I can't stand, it's love triangles. And, well, just about everyone's heard of the whole Guinevere-Arthur-Lancelot thing. You know how it goes, Arthur's wife AKA Guinevere falls for Lancelot, drama ensues, people die, the works.

Not to mention, I probably hyped this book up for myself to
Samantha
May 01, 2020 rated it liked it
As someone who is not super familiar with the Arthur legend besides what is known in pop culture, I’m not sure how this would be received by fans of the legend. This retelling is a mix of nature magic, elemental beings, and some gender-swapping and other twists on the original characters. This did read a little younger than I was expecting as Guinevere is 16 and acts like it with her naivety. She seems to not follow threads that will probably be obvious to most readers. There is a love triangle ...more
Navessa
Whoo boy, do I have some things to say about this one.

A lot of my friends on Goodreads lamented over the first 80% of this book and thought it picked up at the end. I had the opposite reaction. Because of course I did. I actually loved the beginning of this. I was drawn into the mystery and the intrigue. I have a long attention span, and so I was HERE for the minor details of the time period and setting.

And then the book ended…

Gather round, friends, and settle in for another Feminist Rant That N
Amy Imogene Reads
The Guinevere Deception is a story about women's agency and their role in myth—and cleverly ties together known aspects of the Arthurian legends with some much needed LGBT+ and modern sensibilities.

Pacing: ★★ 1/2
Introduction:
Surprises: ★★★★
Ending: ★★★★

I'm so mad at this book because it does not put its best foot forward. The Guinevere Deception starts out so simplistic, so run-of-the-mill, that it's boring. Boring boring. Skim-worthy, even.

But then, we cross the hump. The second half of this
NReads
May 08, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
just imagine this cover in a hardcover copy
Chelsea Humphrey
BOTM YA choice for November 2019!

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
aly ☆彡
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
(This review may contain minor spoilers)

Disclaimer: I am not well equipped with the whole story of King Arthur (other than the general part of it), so take my review with grain and salts.

1) Plot:
Undeniably, this book started slow but I like how the story builds up as it goes. The novel relies on flashbacks and let readers be familiar with Guinevere as a character more than it is by coming up with a compelling plot. Still and all, the relentless riddle will still make you intrigue to continu
Bibi
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, I'm in the minority only this time I like a book that some of my friends seem ambivalent to. To be candid, I have a broad appreciation for Kiersten's style of writing especially her inversion of relationship and gender roles.
sarah
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it

The Guinevere Deception is the first instalment in Kiersten White's new series: Camelot Rising.
This book takes Authorian lore and provides a new twist. Guinevere comes to Camelot to marry Arthur- but she is not the real Guinevere, she is Merlin's daughter, sent to protect King Arthur from an unknown threat.

You definitely do not have to be familiar with the surrounding mythology to enjoy this. Prior to picking up the book, the majority of my knowledge came from that one scene in 'Night
Whitney Atkinson
May 19, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2021
i'm a bit baffled by how average this turned out to be. it read as really underwritten and i wished we had more explanation of the world for readers unfamiliar with arthurian folklore, as well as general backstory on who this girl is and why she's qualified to be arthur's protector. it wasn't necessarily bad, but nothing unique to boost it past 3 stars. ...more
Cindy ✩☽♔
I think my main problem with this book is it offered up too many questions but provided me with very few answers. And the answers I did get felt lackluster and somehow too easy.

Instead of the intriguing, magical tale, I was promised I got a lukewarm story that never seemed to settle with me properly.

Sad to say, because I am a fan of Ms. White's other works. But this was just not for me.

Guinevere's relationship with Arthur was also a mixed point for me. They clearly value and respect each oth
Kayla Dawn
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This was okay, nothing special.
I liked the magic system and the writing style but the characters and the plot were pretty cliché and the little twist towards the end was very predictable.
Shannon
Jul 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
Can Merlin be young and have dark raven hair and adorably large ears?
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
I was sad to give this one a low rating, because it's not particularly bad. It was a nice enough read, with lovely descriptions of Camelot and a fun take on Arthurian legend. But I have to admit, I was expecting something more. Based on legend full with knights, magic, and more, this book felt like it should've been a fast-paced, action-packed, whirlwind of a story but ultimately went by quite slowly. It takes until almost exactly halfway for any real event to happen, and when things do happen, ...more
Sara
Does anyone else remember the Whoopi Goldberg film ‘A Knight in Camelot’? ‘First Knight’ with Richard Gere as an American accented Lancelot? Or even that one with Keira Knightley as some kind of weird Celtic warrior version of Guinevere?

Yeah, all of those were better than whatever the hell this was.

The Guinevere Deception is an ‘alternative’ retelling of the Arthurian legend where our heroine Guinevere is a changeling witch who has been sent to Camelot by Merlin to protect King Arthur from an u
Alaina
OMG I GOT THE ARC! I don’t care if it’s a week before it gets published - I AM EXCITED!

RTC PEOPLE! I NEED TO RECOVER

I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I also have the physical book and YET I still read the ARC first - props? I think so.

The Guinevere Deception was a wild ride. Honestly, I don't read a lot of king Arthur retellings so I was really excited for this one to come out. After reading it, well.. I'm still secretly screaming for book two. Even though
☆she's book obsessed☆
The Guinevere Deception
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I really liked this book even though I haven’t read the original story of Camelot.
The Girl Murdered by Her TBR
DNF @ page 150

Okay here's the thing, I decided to temporarily stop reading YA novels for now, because everytime I pick up a YA novel I always end up dnf'ing it. It sucks soooo bad. I did have high hopes about this book. You know? It's named after me. I also dig retellings aaaannddd I love historical legends.

So what is the problem?

First of all me. I think that I would have rated this a three star read if I was into reading YAs. I don't know what's wrong with me but I just can't appreciate any

• The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • Deeplight
  • All-American Muslim Girl
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Song of the Abyss (Tower of Winds, #2)
  • The Athena Protocol (The Athena Protocol #1)
  • Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)
  • Storm and Fury (The Harbinger, #1)
  • Loki: Where Mischief Lies
  • The Speed of Falling Objects
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
  • The Grey Sisters
  • Realm of Ash (The Books of Ambha #2)
  • The How and the Why
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth #1)
  • A Violet Fire (Vampires in Avignon, #1)
  • The Last True Poets of the Sea
  • Scared Little Rabbits
See top shelves…
Kiersten White is the New York Times bestselling author of many books for teens and young readers, including And I Darken, Now I Rise, Bright We Burn, The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, and Slayer. She lives with her family near the ocean in San Diego, where she perpetually lurks in the shadows. Visit Kiersten online at KierstenWhite.com and follow @KierstenWhite on Twitter.

Camelot Rising (3 books)
  • The Camelot Betrayal (Camelot Rising, #2)
  • The Excalibur Curse (Camelot Rising, #3)