Start by marking “The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)

The Guinevere Deception

(Camelot Rising #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  6,181 ratings  ·  1,778 reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Kiersten White comes a new fantasy series reimagining the Arthurian legend, set in the magical world of Camelot.

There was nothing in the world as magical and terrifying as a girl.

Princess Guinevere has come to Camelot to wed a stranger: the charismatic King Arthur. With magic clawing at the kingdom's borders, the great wizard Merlin
Library Binding, 352 pages
Published November 5th 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Guinevere Deception, please sign up.
Merlin
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  6,181 ratings  ·  1,778 reviews

Start your review of The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
Chaima ✨ شيماء
(jolts up awake) OH SHIT Kiersten White, queen of retellings, is writing a reimagining of the Arthurian legend and it's coming out this year!!!!!!!!
Emily May
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, arc, 2019
That was not a finite or controlled magic. It was a wild and dark and dangerous magic. It was a violent magic, undoing the record of a life and giving it to someone else.

A couple of earlier books aside, Kiersten White is a fave of mine. I enjoyed her historical fiction that reimagined Vlad the Impaler as a woman - And I Darken; I enjoyed her Frankenstein retelling - The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein; and, against all odds, I enjoyed her Buffy spin-off - Slayer. So I'm surprised that
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, courtesy of NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

description

I was so excited for the release of this book and for the most part...it didn't disappoint. I'm pretty familiar with Arthurian mythology, so I think that if you are, as well, you might be able to predict some of the plot points! But there are also enough original twists in the story to also keep you guessing as you read. However, if you're fairly new to the Arthurian myths, everything is
jessica
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am the kind of person where, once i find something i really enjoy, i practically obsess over it. and i think my newest obsession is arthurian mythology because, oh my gosh, this story is everything i never knew was missing from my life.

im pretty sure i saw disneys the sword in the stone when i was a kid but, beyond that, i know absolutely nothing about merlin, king arthur, camelot, or the knights of the round table. but this story is making me want to drop everything and read anything about
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
No! No! No! And for the last time screaming till my throat rips apart: NOOOOO!!!THIS IS NOT THE RETELLING IVE DREAMT OF

Im die-hard fan of Kiersten Whites retellings. I truly enjoyed Conqueror saga (especially third book: Bright We Burn was magnificent. Any fantasy lover should devour this book at one bite!) So as soon as I heard she wrote a retelling about Guinevere and King Arthur, I started doing handsprings but accidentally hit my feet to coffee table but thats okay, Im limping like Kaiser
megs_bookrack
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
There is a magic within her, a power with limits unknown.

In its opening pages, we find an unsure Princess Guinevere arriving in Camelot for the first time.

Sent to marry King Arthur, all she knows of him are what the legends say. He is a great man, the greatest, the one who pulled the sword from the stone.

While it is true, he is a great King, one who strives to make the kingdom a better place, there are those outside the kingdom who threaten him.

Unbeknownst to anyone but themselves, Guinevere
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
December Owlcrate Unboxing! Click on the GOODIES LINK below the pic to see the GOODIES! I got this book aready in my other book box but this is a different color cover so I'm keeping both!

THE GOODIES LINK

November Faecrate Unboxing! Click on the GOODIES LINK below the pic to see the GOODIES! I wanted this book and I got it! Yay!

GOODIES LINK

That cover is amaze balls!! I want the damn art!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Melanie
i think i'm just destined to always give 3 stars to kiersten white's books

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Buddy Read with Riley! ❤
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
2 Stars

Sigh.

I love the Arthurian Legend and snagged this immediately when I saw it as a Book if the Month YA choice. I was really excited at the thought of Guinevere having magical powers and being sent to protect Arthur for once instead of simply being the damsel in a distressful love triangle.

And while I do appreciate the effort made here to make female characters strong and with agency...I felt the Feminist underpinnings and what seems to be the constant need for representation in every book
emma
this was simply...lame.

review to come / 1.5 stars

-------

let it be known that i am interested in EVERY fairytale-y retelling that includes magic and darkness and women being the ones who actually got sh*t done.
Mara YA Mood Reader
Whered my socks go, Kiersten? You knocked them the hell off!
Have you ever seen Merlin the British tv series with Colin Morgan? Its from 2008 to 2012, an older show but I found it in 2015 on Netflix and all five seasons became my life!

Ive always been intrigued by Arthurian legend, ever since childhood with Excalibur. But that level of intrigue went to new depths when I discovered Merlin.

Before this, I had only read one other of Kiersten Whites amazing works: The Dark Descent of Elizabeth
Boston
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mrs. White? Maam I need to know if Guinevere is queer. ...more
Amy Imogene Reads
The Guinevere Deception is a story about women's agency and their role in mythand cleverly ties together known aspects of the Arthurian legends with some much needed LGBT+ and modern sensibilities.

Pacing: ★★ 1/2
Introduction:
Surprises: ★★★★
Ending: ★★★★

I'm so mad at this book because it does not put its best foot forward. The Guinevere Deception starts out so simplistic, so run-of-the-mill, that it's boring. Boring boring. Skim-worthy, even.

But then, we cross the hump. The second half of this
Chelsea Humphrey
BOTM YA choice for November 2019!

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Navessa
Whoo boy, do I have some things to say about this one.

A lot of my friends on Goodreads lamented over the first 80% of this book and thought it picked up at the end. I had the opposite reaction. Because of course I did. I actually loved the beginning of this. I was drawn into the mystery and the intrigue. I have a long attention span, and so I was HERE for the minor details of the time period and setting.

And then the book ended

Gather round, friends, and settle in for another Feminist Rant That
Nick
May 08, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
just imagine this cover in a hardcover copy
Kayla Dawn
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This was okay, nothing special.
I liked the magic system and the writing style but the characters and the plot were pretty cliché and the little twist towards the end was very predictable.
Shannon
Jul 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
Can Merlin be young and have dark raven hair and adorably large ears?
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Mar 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
SCREAMS.

AN ARTHURIAN RETELLING???!?!?!!?!?!!??!?!?!?!!?!

ASDA1@#!@SDKSD)()$*#FGH!@#!#)!@#AKSDLJASDKAS:D.!@#_!(@)_!@)#Y!@(#)!* )!D:SFK
@#)$()ASIQWPJOPCXJVLWMFPQKFQ:S{_#$!@vsd!!!???!!!!

my poor broke college ass will drop out because im going to be fucking screwed over by all these AMAZING NEW 2019 RELEASES!!!!
Cindy ✩☽♔
I think my main problem with this book is it offered up too many questions but provided me with very few answers. And the answers I did get felt lackluster and somehow too easy.

Instead of the intriguing, magical tale, I was promised I got a lukewarm story that never seemed to settle with me properly.

Sad to say, because I am a fan of Ms. White's other works. But this was just not for me.

Guinevere's relationship with Arthur was also a mixed point for me. They clearly value and respect each
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
I was sad to give this one a low rating, because it's not particularly bad. It was a nice enough read, with lovely descriptions of Camelot and a fun take on Arthurian legend. But I have to admit, I was expecting something more. Based on legend full with knights, magic, and more, this book felt like it should've been a fast-paced, action-packed, whirlwind of a story but ultimately went by quite slowly. It takes until almost exactly halfway for any real event to happen, and when things do happen, ...more
Sara
Does anyone else remember the Whoopi Goldberg film A Knight in Camelot? First Knight with Richard Gere as an American accented Lancelot? Or even that one with Keira Knightley as some kind of weird Celtic warrior version of Guinevere?

Yeah, all of those were better than whatever the hell this was.

The Guinevere Deception is an alternative retelling of the Arthurian legend where our heroine Guinevere is a changeling witch who has been sent to Camelot by Merlin to protect King Arthur from an unknown
Alaina
OMG I GOT THE ARC! I dont care if its a week before it gets published - I AM EXCITED!

RTC PEOPLE! I NEED TO RECOVER

I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I also have the physical book and YET I still read the ARC first - props? I think so.

The Guinevere Deception was a wild ride. Honestly, I don't read a lot of king Arthur retellings so I was really excited for this one to come out. After reading it, well.. I'm still secretly screaming for book two. Even though
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
When I was a teen, every weekend my family gathered to watch the BBC's Merlin. It ran for five seasons and was filled with magic, friendship and most important of all - heart.

I'm also a big fan of Kiersten White. I think she's an incredible writer - her historical trilogy, a retelling focusing on Vlad the Impaler (with the twist of Vlad being a woman) & starting with And I Darken is a masterpiece; it is complex, political and deeply engaging. The characters of were raw and real.

So: my love
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
4,5 jigsaw puzzle stars

I love Kiersten Whites The Conquerors saga and when I learned that she had a release planned about Arthurian legend, I was over the moon.

Then, I saw many disappointed reviews and began to stress.

Well maybe I am easy to please or I roll with the flow but I had a great time reading!

This was read in one day while I kept falling asleep not out of boredom but because I had the flu. Every time my eyes drooped I was so frustrated as I wanted to keep reading! That in my
Katie.dorny
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was a 2 star all the way up until the last few chapters and it FINALLY became interesting. 2019 has failed me with my anticipated reads.

Here we meet Guinevere, quite a lost little soul who spends most of the book attempting to be the hero but ends up being saved by the incredible gender defying Lancelot. She was a lovely surprise that made the book single handily worth it.

Guinevere is supposed to be our hero but is actually quite a delicate flower until the second half of the book and only
Megan ❀
dnf at 98 pages

Listen, NO ONE is more upset than me about this. Kiersten White's And I Darken is one of my favorite books, so naturally I was absolutely ecstatic about a new retelling trilogy from her. But after 100 pages of The Guinevere Deception, the only feeling I have towards the book is overwhelming boredom.

I don't mind slow reads. I know some people don't like them, but I have no issue with them as long as there's something to keep intrigued - be it the characters, atmosphere,
Candace Robinson
ARC received via publisher!
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Sorry I didn't write down any trigger warnings for this book while I was listening to it (I listened to the majority of it while driving so I couldn't stop to write anything down).

This started off really strong and i think that's 100% due to the AMAZING audiobook narration. If I wasn't listening to it, I might have DNF'd it at around halfway because I feel like we were kept in the dark for way too long and I started to lose interest. I also didn't really connect with any of the characters and
christina
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
★ true rating: 3.5 stars ★

*retelling: King Arthur legend*

First off, this story was really enjoyable and definitely has a lot of promise. There was also a twist ending which was not what I was expecting, and I definitely see there being a lot more twists along the way!
That said, I was expecting And I Darken, and this is a lot lighter in content, as well as in writing style. (not that that's a bad thing, it's just not what I was expecting). I did really enjoy the character relationships in this

• Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Deeplight
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
Kiersten White is the New York Times bestselling author of many books for teens and young readers, including And I Darken, Now I Rise, Bright We Burn, The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, and Slayer. She lives with her family near the ocean in San Diego, where she perpetually lurks in the shadows. Visit Kiersten online at KierstenWhite.com and follow @KierstenWhite on Twitter.

Camelot Rising (3 books)
  • The Camelot Betrayal (Camelot Rising, #2)
  • Untitled (Camelot Rising, #3)