Start by marking “Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War” as Want to Read:
Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War

Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War

(Star Trek: Discovery #5)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  590 ratings  ·  104 reviews
An all-new novel based upon the explosive Star Trek TV series!

A shattered ship, a divided crew—trapped in the infernal nightmare of conflict!

Hearing of the outbreak of hostilities between the United Federation of Planets and the Klingon Empire, Captain Christopher Pike attempts to bring the U.S.S. Enterprise home to join in the fight. But in the hellish nebula known as th
Published July 30th 2019 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War
Dawn C
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable read with a genuine TOS vibe. Miller did a great job making Pike sound like the Pike we know from Discovery, he’s extremely likeable and has fun banter with his crew members. The best Discovery tie-in I’ve read to date.
Gerhard
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, sf-fantasy
I was so disappointed at the lacklustre and thoroughly unimaginative Drastic Measures by Dayton Ward (Desperate Hours by David Mack was just on the right side of ‘meh’ as well, to be honest) that I thought I’d never read a Discovery novel again.

(Having said that, the lowest bar ever for a tie-in series has to be the three Star Wars novels penned by Chuck Wendig, which managed the impossible feat of having no plot, and being as boring as a Jar Jar Binks talk show at the same time.)

But I digress.
Mareike
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This is somewhere between a 2,5 and a 3 for me.
For what I wanted - a fairly easy read/listen (I switched to audio about halfway through) that was less intense than some of the things I'm currently reading for work - it worked well.
The author has managed to capture the (known) characters' voices and it was interesting to see how this links up with the larger plot of the series.
What I especially liked was Captain Pike's (view spoiler)
C.T. Phipps
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE ENTERPRISE WAR is a prequel to the second season of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY. What was the Starship Enterprise up to during the Klingon War during the first season? What happened between the events of "The Cage" and "Brother."

John Jackson Miller does an impressive job of both creating an intriguing adventure as well explaining the discrepancies between "Desperate Hours" by David Mack and the second season. While it's handled subtlety, it's implied that the acrimonious relationship between Micha
Christopher
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
tar Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War is set in the same period as Star Discoveries first season and shows us what Pike and the Enterprise crew were up to during the Klingon War in that season! :D Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War really shows what the kind of wringers the crew of the Enterprise were put through during this time, from being 'recruited' by The Boundless to having the ship literally in pieces and having 'to work the problem' to get themselves out! :D The book Piles on the ...more
David
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Set during the first season of the TV series Star Trek: Discovery, this novel tells what the Starship Enterprise was up to during the Klingon War. Overall, it was a great novel for people like me who have fond memories of the original series "The Menagerie" and wished we could have gotten to know characters like Captain Pike, Doctor Boyce, and Number One better. It also provides some setup for the second season of the Discovery. My only real problem with the novel was near the beginning when we ...more
Kieran McAndrew
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On a deep space exploratory assignment at the outbreak of the Battle of the Binary Stars, the 'U.S.S. Enterprise' is ordered to stay away from the war. When Spock and ten per cent of the crew are captured by slavers, Captain Pike finds himself in his own private war.

A prelude to the second season of 'Star Trek: Discovery', 'The Enterprise War' fills in the gaps well and Miller has managed to write a novel which is faithful to both versions of Pike's crew.
hedgehog
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
If I'm honest, probably a weak 3* by the usual standards and even my tolerance for media tie-in novels, which can be a crapshoot. I will gladly admit I have zero objectivity where the subject matter's concerned, though, so let's round up to 4* for continual gleeful flailing while reading. The writing's serviceable, if lacking in character interiority, but that's a style preference (I read professional fanfic for FEELS, give me FEELS, damn it), and honestly the plot could have been just about any ...more
Cody
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished Enterprise War, it was such a beautiful read. I truly hope we see this crew again soon, it was wonderful to imagine the new version of this ship and crew in my head while I went through this novel!

(Una especially deserves some more screen time in the future!)
Katrina
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Listened to the audiobook-
Elowen
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second half made up for part of the first half, and I was more invested in the story once I found out more about the two alien races at war with each other. But in my opinion there were many redundant scenes that did nothing to bring this story to life. This is the third Star Trek novel out of the four I've read that I think could have been a lot shorter.

Many of the characters other than those I knew from Star Trek Discovery were interchangeable. It was fun to read about Pike, Spock an No1
Mark
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great yarn

Enjoyed this bit of storytelling filling us in on what happened before and the impact it had on beloved characters that TIL now we’re just brief mentions and asides. A great addition to world-building in the trek universe and an introduction to worlds and species that surprise and astonish as well as entertain.
Lloyd Matthew Thompson
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent and well-done tie-in placed squarely between seasons 1 and 2 of Star Trek: Discovery!
Jonathan
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‪Gripping from the jump, paced just like the best episodes of Star Trek, and a twist I didn’t see coming that subverts your expectations but is Trek to the core.‬
Michael Hanscom
Filling in the blanks of Pike’s _Enterprise_ up to the start of season two of ST: DIS. Not a bad romp, and helps to flesh out some of the secondary characters we see in Pike’s crew.
G.R. Matthews
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are times when I just want to read an adventure story, something that is familiar and fast paced, and this book is one of those.

If you've watched Discovery Series 1 and 2, you'll know the basic idea; where was the Enterprise during the Klingon War... well, this book explains it all and gives a fine adventure to boot. There is also, as there should be, the morals of the Federation under-pinning it all and the final resolution, if not unexpected, was interesting!

A lot of time passes in this
Dan
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, discovery
With The Enterprise War, the Star Trek: Discovery novels are five for five! John Jackson Miller has crafted an excellent story that fills in the gaps in the Discovery television series. It was fun to follow the adventures of the Enterprise for the year before season 2 and discover new insights into that season's storyline. Jackson nails the delivery of the characters, especially Captain Pike and Number One. The actors' voices are clearly heard when reading this novel. Top marks, definitely looki ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
It's a bit of style over substance -- the overall plot is fairly serviceable, although it drags ever so slightly. But the style is truly a triumph: an exercise in building characters and relationships, as well as continuing to showcase the awesomeness of Christopher Pike. It's a beautiful accompaniment to the events of the first two seasons of "Star Trek Discovery". Bonus points for the extra development given to Connolly, considering his fate in the TV series.
Stephanie
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You’ve Got to Communicate: The Enterprise War

I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader’s copy of this book. No remuneration was exchanged and all opinions presented herein are my own except as noted.

I found this book an intricate blend of physical action and personal, interpersonal and poitical struggles. It’s filled with a universe of characters but focused on no more than ten. With a Whovian panoply of species from bipedal lizards to beings with faces re
Richard Gray
If there was one thing that the second season of Star Trek: Discovery left us hungry for, it was the further adventures of Captain Pike and his Enterprise crew. Where the main show has boldly gone where Trek hasn’t gone before, it was hard to deny the giddy thrill of seeing that group of people in those uniforms mixing it up on a bridge that felt comfortably familiar.

John Jackson Miller, who is primarily known for his prolific work in the Star Wars expanded universe, takes inspiration from a few
Chris
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Addition to Star Trek Lore

As an old hand at Star Trek novels from way back in the Bantam days, it takes a lot to impress me. I read the Kindle sample and was hooked. Miller's narrative style is engrossing and easy to read. His familiarity with Trek lore is effortless and extensive. So often when trying out a new ST novel, I stumble over clunky writing or an even clunkier lack of familiarity with Trek. Neither of those were a problem here. While the ending was evident from a mile away, it r
Daniel
May 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Unlike David Mack's Desperate Hours, I will not return to this action-packed Discovery Era novel. Once again, if felt like a situation where the writer had a contract to write a ST novel, but he wanted to write something very different -in this case something along the lines of Robotech. Sorry but it's not my cup of tea. Modern fandom has many takes on Trek; I don't mean to disparage what other people like. Yes, the title of the book has the word 'war' in it, and I knew to expect fighting. A spo ...more
Elliot Weeks
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I loved reading every last page of this novel. J.J. Miller wrote a fantastic story that contained so much heart, which greatly aided me in visualizing Ethan Peck and Anson Mount as Spock and Pike. The book was expertly paced--it was able to be action packed, contemplative, and science based without it ever feeling forced or overdone. The book beautifully answered the question that I had so often during DSC season 1--where the heck is the Enterprise during the war??? I'm sure everyone is say ...more
Mario
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
John Jackson Miller had the unenviable (at first) task of chronicling the voyages of the Enterprise during his absence in Star Trek Discovery's first season.

Stuck in a remote nebula where travel is difficult, the Enterprise and its crew find themselves in the middle of a devastating war that has been going on for centuries, and all kind of separations and encounters prevent them from returning to the galaxy at large to participate in the Klingon war.

While the novel starts slow, building up the p
Brayden
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
So here's the thing. The plot is exciting and engaging. Action packed Infact and I have always loved John Jackson Miller's writing. However it fails to be amazing because i don't think it's personal enough. There's too much jumping around. The passage of time eliminates a lot of potential intimacy for the characters. I find myself wanting to care and learn more about the mind of Connolly or Kormagan even but we simply don't get enough time with them it's all so fast paced. Almost like he took wh ...more
Jonathan Koan
This was a fun book. It's no secret that John Jackson Miller is my favorite media tie-in fiction writer. His masterful writing of Kenobi, A New Dawn, Takedown, and Prey all made me enormous fans of Far Away Press. So I've been excited to get this book.

And this book lives up to the hype.

Personally, the first hundred pages were a little slow for me. I believe that that is mostly due to the fact that I haven't seen Season 2 of Discovery, and therefore don't have that built in relatability to the ch
retro
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
As pro-fanfic goes, this is satisfying stuff. All the show favorites get their moment to shine, the Starfleet values are front and center, and there's spaceships and aliens and drama. Come for the moral quandries and the space battles, stay for the crew banter and the science-speak. And be sure to take a drink whenever a chapter ends with Pike saying some catchy line with the emphasis on the last word! Enjoy the hangover.
Robert
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unexpected delight! though in fairness I have yet to read a “blah” book from JJ Miller.

This was easily the best ‘Trek’ book I’ve read since...since...

Well, let’s just say it was a very decent book and leave it at that.

Last note: don’t be thrown off by the fact it’s listed here as the 5th book in a series, it’s very much a stand-alone that fills in some important gaps between seasons 1 and 2 of the TV show but is not beholden to either. Neat trick!
Brandon Harbeke
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a book where I liked the characters and ideas, especially in the final part. It was just the Robinson Crusoe bits with the ship separated where the story started to drag for me.
Thomas W
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this read. As a lifelong Trekker, I've always been curious about Pike's tenure as captain. Bringing Pike into ST:DISC offered a delicious taste of the captain's history. This book, set during ST:DISC season 1 gave even more deliciousness. I definitely want more Pike/Spock/Number One novels.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Collateral Damage
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • The Antares Maelstrom
  • The Captain's Oath
  • The Unsettling Stars (Star Trek)
  • Available Light
  • Star Trek: The Q Conflict
  • Star Trek: Picard - Countdown
  • Star Trek: Discovery: The Light of Kahless
  • Star Trek: Discovery - Aftermath
  • Shadow Fall (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #2)
John Jackson Miller has spent a lifetime immersed in the worlds of fantasy and science fiction. He's known for his Star Wars work, including Star Wars: Knight Errant, his national bestselling novel from Del Rey; Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, his e-book series with more than a million downloads; and his long-running Knights of the Old Republic comics series. His Overdraft: The Orion Offensive ...more

Star Trek: Discovery (7 books)
  • Desperate Hours
  • Drastic Measures
  • Fear Itself (Star Trek: Discovery #3)
  • The Way To The Stars