Start by marking “A Tale of Two Houses (Defy The Stars #1)” as Want to Read:
A Tale of Two Houses (Defy The Stars #1)

A Tale of Two Houses

(Defy the Stars #1)

Centuries ago, the royal house of witches in Vernanthia split into two factions: House Cambridge and House Montgomery. These two houses warred with each other for an age, causing widespread bloodshed and death. Those without magic—the Nulls—suffered the most. One day, a favored daughter of the Nulls was slain. With her dying breath, she cursed the covens to know no peace u ...more
Published March 25th 2019 by Clean Teen Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about A Tale of Two Houses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tale of Two Houses

Start your review of A Tale of Two Houses (Defy The Stars #1)
Coco.V
Aug 07, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (8/7/2019)! 🎁
Jaime
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastical retelling of Romeo and Juliet, but with magic!!! I really can’t say enough about this book. Adventure, magic, romance, and a jaw dropping cliffhanger that will make you jump out of your seat and yell for book two! If you love magical tales of forbidden love, I think you’ll fall in love with Julian and Rowan’s story too.
Melanie's
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Romeo and Juliet, and the many incarnations that have followed, but this reimagining with magic is the version I never knew I needed until I read it. All I can say without major spoilers is that anyone who thinks they know how this story is going to end is WRONG! The fact that this is only part one in a trilogy excites me even more because you KNOW that there is more to come. Whether you love Shakespeare or hate it, any fans of historical magic should pick this up immediately, because I a ...more
S.H. Timmins
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy a book with a cast of vibrant characters that flourish during the course of a compelling story; protagonists that show personal growth, fantastical worlds, and a tale that inspires emotion while stimulating the mind. Harris touched on every aspect in her rendition of Romeo and Juliet, set in a mythical world of magic.

Rowan and Julian are from opposing houses, and the rightful heirs to a legacy of bloodshed and mistrust. Not even privy to the circumstances that triggered the endles
Alec
May 06, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was definitely not a bad book, it just very much wasn’t for me.
I don’t love Romeo and Juliet, so I hoped this retelling would stray further from the original than it did. I have read plenty of retellings of stories I didn’t like and ended up loving them, if they had a unique enough take. But this book still had a very similar vibe to the original Romeo and Juliet, so I didn’t really care for it.
I liked the writing style a lot, but what I couldn’t get over was the insta-love. Again, this is
Natalie
I can't even rate this. I was all over the place.

I almost didn't finish it. At the beginning there was a sentence about a queen's crown that included the glint of a gem that was glinting or something. It was not a good start to the book.

The idea of the plot, however, really intrigued me so I stuck with it. And then either the writing got better or I got more involved in the story. I ended up reading about half of the book yesterday because I got really engrossed in it and wanted to know what h
Ashley Brilinski
This was promoted as a reimagining of Romeo and Juliet but it's much more than juat the same story with a few slight changes. Susan Harris took the story of forbidden love woven by Shakespeare and added aspects to the mix that you never knew could fit. Magic? Oh yes, trust me when I say you need to read this. I'd really like to add more but don't want to spoil it for anyone. There's original characters and a plot twist that will have you purchasing the second in this series before you even finif ...more
Ashley Brilinski
A great new take

This was promoted as a reimagining of Romeo and Juliet but it's much more that just the same story with a few slight changes. Susan Harris took the story of forbidden love woven by Shakespeare and added aspects to the mix that you never knew could fit. Magic? Oh yes, trust me when I say you need to read this. I'd really like to add more but don't want to spoil it for anyone. There's original characters and plot twists that will have you purchasing the second in the series before
Carol Gick
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put it down. A page Turner from the start!

I chose four stars at first, then changed it back to five. It doesn't take long for the book to draw you into it. Both Rowen and Julian longed for peace and hated the war between the two families. This was as much a romance as a fantasy. Perfectly blended, too.
The ending was unexpected, and I didn't like it, but with magic in the story, and another book after this, I am not too Disappointed.
If you like fantasy, magic tales with a love tossed
Ashley
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A spin on Romeo and Juliet except Romeo is Julian and Juliet is Rowan. This spin has magic (the houses are covens and each coven are witches). It reminded me of the real story of their love for each other that happened so fast. Loved all the characters, wondering how Emilee is going to come into play in the next book. I really liked this book!
A. Powers
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for free and started reading it without really knowing what I was getting into. I totally wasn't expecting a retelling of Romeo and Juliet, with the girl as the Romeoesque character and the guy as the Juliet. That threw me off, but in a good way, I suppose. It did seem to drag on at times, but overall it was an entertaining read.
Jennifer Billings
Wow!

This is the best Version of Romeo and Juliet EVER! I was never one for the idea of the play and now it went, but this story line is how I think Shakespeare would have written if he were to wrote it today.
This is a story for the ages just as much as Shakespeare's play is, this is a must must read and please hurry with the book 2 release!
Jaime
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Magical Retelling of Forbidden Love

Holly
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic characters plenty of action, adventure and romance to keep anyone’s attention and some mystery thrown in for good measure. Looking forward to the next book because the ending makes you want to find out what happens next!
Tamar Elmensdorp-lijzenga
Smhlavelle
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

Romeo and Juliet is not my favorite love story, but I did enjoy this retelling/variation of the story. I enjoyed the ending, surprisingly since usually I hate cliffhangers. Not sure if I will continue the series, but overall it was a good read.
Ashley Nicole
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While mildly predictable, this was still an enjoyable read. Especially considering how strong my dislike for the source material.
Rebekah
Interesting changes. I liked all the characters and the story. Look forward to reading the rest.
Toni Pill
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author never disappoints. Another great series.
Nikki J
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
must read

An awesome spin on Romeo and Juliet. I can't wait to read the next book in the series!!! I highly recommend this book :)
Deirbhle
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

Thank the Goddess this is not a standalone! Loved this beautiful take on a classic. Off to buy book 2 now
Yunn
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
𝚁𝚎𝚟𝚒𝚎𝚠 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚊𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚛𝚢❤️
As I said before, I'm in love with retellings. And this was not the exception.
I like the Romeo and Juliet romance with a bit of magic and witches. However, I didn't like that it was a really fast-paced romance with an exaggerated insta-love. But I still enjoyed it.
Kira Brighton
*Received free e-copy via BookBub*

This was pretty true to the atmosphere of Romeo and Juliet, if not the plot. I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of it was, though, and I wasn't all that engaged. The romance had spark to it, anyway.
Wendy
Sep 14, 2019
NJ Prater
Sep 27, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Key (True Reign, #1)
  • The Memory Thief (City of Wishes #1)
  • Spells & Death (Paranormal MI5, #1)
  • Mating Season (Morgan Clan Bears, #1)
  • Violet's Story (Creepy Hollow Books 1, 2 & 3)
  • One Foot in the Grave (The Mortician's Daughter, #1)
  • Elfin (The Elfin, #1)
  • Dangerous (Element Preservers, #1)
  • Midnight Rose
  • The Girl and the Raven (The Girl and the Raven #1)
  • The Tethering (The Tethering, #1)
  • Pendomus (Pendomus Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood and Snow (Blood and Snow #1)
  • All The Things We Lost (River Valley Lost & Found, #1)
  • The Stolen Empire Boxed Set
  • House of Royals (House of Royals, #1)
  • The Werewolf Queen (Wheel of Crowns, #1)
  • The Royal Companion (The Companion, #1)
Susan Harris is a writer from Cork in Ireland. An avid reader, she quickly grew to love books in the supernatural/fantasy genre. When she is not writing or reading, she loves music, oriental cultures, tattoos, anything Disney and psychology. If she wasn't a writer she would love to be a FBI profiler or a PA for Dave Grohl or Jared Leto.

Defy the Stars (3 books)
  • Until Death Do Us Part (Defy The Stars #2)
  • In Defiance of the Stars (Defy the Stars #3)