Start by marking “Above the Walls” as Want to Read:
Above the Walls

Above the Walls

(Martellino series #2)

For eight years, the Fascist politician Alfredo Obizzi has kept quiet about his affair with Susanna Martellino, the matriarch of the Martellino vineyard. Now in 1938 Italy, Obizzi uses his growing political power to seek revenge on his past enemies, and Susanna and the vineyard’s spiritual sage, Isabella, are at the top of his list. Will faith and forgiveness be enough to ...more
Published February 1st 2019

To ask other readers questions about Above the Walls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Above the Walls

Start your review of Above the Walls
Sally Palmer
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful Tuscan story.

I thoroughly enjoyed both books. They are well written and informative about Mussolini and his fascist regime. At the other end of the spectrum is Isabella and her spirituality which she shared with the reader. A great read and I was sorry when I came to the end of book 2.
Cathy Kildall
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!

I read a lot about WWII. After reading “Beneath a Scarlet Sky” I started to look for WWII books based in Italy. There’s not much out there, especially on Kindle Unlimited. I found “Avanti! Mussolini & the wars of Italy” & although that book was a little hard to read, I was fascinated by what occurred in Italy during WWII. What a mess! One day Italian soldiers are allies with Germany, the next day the Germans are their enemies & those who were their enemies are now their alli
Amy
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Above the Walls is the second installment from Steve Physioc’s Martellino series. I enjoyed the first book and this one does not disappoint. I thought this book was a great read. It was great to catch up with the characters and meeting new ones as they all head to yet another world war.

I am giving Above the Walls four and a half stars. I highly recommend it for readers who love to read historical fiction.

I received this book from the publisher. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.
Diane Lomuscio
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The end of the Saga

The conclusion of the story of three families on the farm/vineyard of the Martellino land. This book takes us through WWII & it’s immediate aftermath. Each member of the extended clan has their story told & summed up quite satisfactorily. Mr. Physioc does a great job providing us with a nice neat and somewhat surprising conclusion of the family saga. As mentioned in my review of the earlier book “The Walls of Luca” don’t miss this. You WILL find true enjoyment in
Betty Hattan
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The two walls books

The two books by Steve Psysioc I have just finished. After I finished the first book I knew I had to read the second. I enjoyed it as much if not more. The characters were so interesting and the stories certainly keep me reading. My o my criticism would be some of the dialogue was not really right for those times......for instance pay it forward. Several times I noticed phrases that were not used during those time. I should know I am 93 yrs old.

Karen Schulz
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Power to Change

I don’t think I have ever been so moved by two books - which I read together - as these books. Bella’s ability to love and to forgive has inspired me to become that kind of person now, in today’s world. There just is no other way to change our world - and ourselves but to live as God asks us to live - in love and forgiveness. My deepest gratitude for this extraordinary work!
Mary Sue Wilson
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Historical Fiction

As a fan of WW2 historical fiction, I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. This well written and researched book takes the reader back to Italy where the war of raging. I love the characters, especially Bella, who is a wonderful influence on family and friends. I highly recommend this book.
Rosanne   Betz
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read

An excellent portrayal of characters and a good lesson in history. I loved the first book and could not wait to read the conclusion. I underlined so many paragraphs ,as they were words of profound wisdom. I felt like I knew the characters and loved the good people and despised the bad
Julie Smith
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Better than the first book. Follows the main characters in post WWI Italy and Mussolini’s rise to WWII. Contains a lot of history of the suffering and destruction that Italy suffered in the war. Continues to stress a message of forgiveness to achieve healing.
John
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb

A superbly written book. I hope I get to visit Lucca again after reading both books! Walking along those walls as described in the books.
Barbara S. Brent
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the two books. Characters were will developed. You became engaged in their lives. The escalating terror of WWII was an integral part of the story.
Francesca McInerney
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Italy WW2 history

I enjoyed the story in both books. Battles from Salerno to Rome, Monti Casino
we're historically accurate..Great writing. Looking forward to future books
Patricia Hall
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
History, Love, Forgiveness

Once again the author has woven history into a powerful story of humanity and teaches us how to be human.
Kerry
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

Can even find the words to say how amazing this book and the walls of Lucca was. I learned so much that I didn't learn in school about WWII. Oh to be like Isabelle.
John
Mar 09, 2019
stephen sobell
Nov 11, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Point of Light (Historical Fiction #1)
  • The Violin Maker's Daughter
  • Before the Brightest Dawn (The Half-Bloods Trilogy #3)
  • When We Were Brave
  • The Tuscan Secret
  • The Only Blue Door
  • Genealogy
  • The Girl Puzzle: A Story of Nellie Bly
  • The Star and the Shamrock
  • Surviving The Forest
  • The Children's Train: Escape on the Kindertransport
  • Dare To Dream (The Percy Place Series Book 2)
  • A Fire Sparkling
  • The Secret Letter
  • Our Last Goodbye
  • Spanish Lavender
  • No Woman's Land: a Holocaust novel
As an Emmy-winning radio and TV broadcaster for football, baseball and basketball, Steve Physioc has been telling stories for 40 years. After a trip to Italy with his wife, Stace, he was inspired to tell a different kind of story — his novels, The Walls of Lucca and Above the Walls. He and Stace live in Kansas City and love to visit and spend time with their children, Ryan and Kevin, and three gra ...more

Martellino series (2 books)
  • The Walls of Lucca