Start by marking “The Broken King (Bull Mountain #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Broken King (Bull Mountain #0.5)

The Broken King

(Bull Mountain #0.5)

An eshort story introduces readers to Brian Panowich's brutal, mesmerizing North Georgia landscape, in preparation for Like Lions (4/30/19).

"No king lives forever, and Gareth was getting old."

Enter the world of Brian Panowich, where Gareth Burroughs runs McFalls county, in north Georgia, and all the criminal enterprises therein. Two of his three sons, Halford and Buckley,
Published March 5th 2019 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Broken King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Broken King

Start your review of The Broken King (Bull Mountain #0.5)
Annet
Wew, this book is pretty brutal! A prequel short story to Bull Mountain and Like Lions of Brian Panowich, both great books. This short story may even be better, so excellently written, not a word too much, great atmosphere and full of character and yes, the fire licks from the pages. Although the content of this story is harsh and brutal I would despite that say this story is written in a poetic way. Weird, isn't it.... but that's my view.

It's about the bad side of the Burroughs clan. For gener
karen
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hey-shorty, grit-lit
now that Like Lions is out, you can read this!

**********************************

oh my god, this exists??

it does! and now i have read it!

it exists and it is 23 pages long and even though, chronologically, it can be called a prequel to Bull Mountain and Like Lions, and is (presumably) being released now in order to build excitement for Like Lions’ U.S. release date (april 30!!), it would be my advice to read this after Like Lions. there is a moment in that book where TRUTHS are REVEALED and long
Zoeytron
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fight, kill, survive.  This is the name of the game up on Bull Mountain and you play it your whole life.  It's inevitable that the proverbial king of the mountain will be toppled at some point.  Gareth Burroughs has always been untouchable, but old age has a nasty way of interfering with business.
Cheri
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, grit-lit, georgia
This short story (e-story) is a prequel to Brian Panowich’s Like Lions originally slated for release in 2018, this is scheduled to be released on 30 April 2019. For those of you who are eagerly awaiting the release of Like Lions , this prequel also includes the first few chapters of that to whet your appetite.

”Gareth Burroughs died by fire during an ice storm.”

This is the opening sentence in The Broken King, describing the man as seen by the people of Bull Mountain as a saint to
Carol
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well now......sure got more than I was expecting in this short prequel.

Could THE BROKEN KING be even darker and grittier than BULL MOUNTAIN and LIKE LIONS combined?

Read it and see how deddy Gareth, the most notorious patriarch of Bull Mountain gets his just reward. Even if you've read them all....especially if you've read them all.

Very dark and brutal......and OMGOSH the hamburger man!

Diane S ☔
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anyone who has read Bull Mountain knows just how brutal the place is to those who cross the Burroughs. This short which is a prequel to Like Lions is, if that is even possible, more brutal than the first. It does though, what it sets out to do which is lead into the next in series.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Fabulous short story, can't wait to read the next novel!
Becky
Fire is a hell of a way to die, especially when it's Brian Panowich doing the describing. O_O

This story is $1 and worth every penny. (Even better if you can do a No-rush shipping on something and get it for free, like I did. :D) But seriously, it's so good to be back in the land of brutality and beauty that is Brian Panowich's writing. I don't know what it is about him, but the way that he describes even the ugliest, harshest things has this quality to it that makes you want to see. I read the d
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
When is the next book coming out????
Alex Carbo
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best short story to come out of 2019 where Panowich humanize Garrett and makes us weep for the Burroughs clan.

Brian Panowich writes like his house is on fire and the only way to put it out is to put pen on paper.
Dr Brown
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Could have been a long chapter in either of the two other books about Bull Mountain. But hey, i ain't complaining, I loved this family saga/tragedy
Catherine Mihm
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Burroughs law

Nice background into where Clayton came from and what happened in his youth to bring about his manner of being sheriff. Looking forward to reading Bull Mountain.
Susan Crowe
Excellent novella! Just downloaded Bull Mountain! I want more!
Abibliofob
It is always fun to get a little background information on a serie. This one goes back before the first book and give readers a little more about the clan on Bull Mountain. I look forward to reading the next one. Strong recommendations.
Dawn
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Story of a Broken Old King of a Mountain Family

I loved the first novel Bull Mountain and I was very happy to hear it was set up for a second in a series. Panowich has a great style in describing the folks in the North Georgia region and the landscape described is just as I remember seeing. This is a short story prequel to the newest novel Like Lions which I am ready to read next and I encourage anyone to do the same. This is an exciting way to get your attention as the family business leade
Phyllis
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Family ties

An excellent follow up with the first book. The story and plot follows together. This one helps to explain the family history of Clayton's family life. One can sense the life of the times and setting area.
Charity
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
A quick little read that gives you the story before the story. I loved Bull Mountain and this was great too. I'm looking forward to reading Books #2 and #3. I hadn't realized that it continued in a series or I would have already picked these up.
Woody James
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
It was definitely a prequel. I will have to see where the next book goes and then decide if I'm going to read more.
Lauren
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I did not like this? Apparently I'm wildly out of line, but this was not for me.
Mary
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
well I read this before Bull Mountain and I feel like maybe I should have read this after? Woops. Still pretty good though, dark and moody in the best way!
Matt English
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A short story prequel to The Bull Mountain series.
Marbeth
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a brutal world! Great read and should be read before Bull Mountain.
Mike Hughes
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Writing was ok. But really for what purpose. Short story that didn't add much to the other books.
DianeK Klu
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
More like a chapter than a book.
Bob
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barely more than a chapter, and a bridge between his first 2 novels. Fills in some details about the family, but until I read the second book, not sure just how pertinent this snippet is.
Aymee
Nice set up for the first book in the series. Am interested to start on the actual novels now.
Angie Dokos
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good short story. I loved Bull Mountain, so I had to read this one too. I’ll definitely be reading the next one.
Alan Teder
Country Noir Short
Review of the Audible Audio edition (2019)

This is prequel short story that precedes the main action of Bull Mountain (2015) but that reveals previously unknown information in advance of Like Lions (2019) in the Bull Mountain aka McFalls County series related to the Burroughs crime family. Revealing anything more would be a spoiler.

The narration by series regular Brian Troxell was well done.
Elaine Mayes
Mar 17, 2019
Brian J McMillan
Feb 03, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Blackwood
  • When These Mountains Burn
  • The Revelators (A Quinn Colson, #10)
  • Lone Jack Trail
  • Black Mountain (Isaiah Coleridge #2)
  • Pride of Eden
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine #2)
  • This Side of Night
  • Next to Last Stand (Walt Longmire, #16)
  • Midnight Son
  • Deception Cove (Neah Bay, #1)
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • One Last Lie (Mike Bowditch, #11)
  • Blacktop Wasteland
  • The Weight of This World
  • Apeirogon
  • Buried Deep
Brian is a Georgia based author who has topped the best thriller list on Apple iBooks, placed in the top twenty best books on Amazon, went on to win the International Thriller Writers Award for Best First Novel, as well as the Southern Book Prize for Best Mystery. He has also been nominated for the Barry Award, the Anthony Award, The Georgia Townsend Book Prize, and was a finalist for the LA Times ...more

Bull Mountain (3 books)
  • Bull Mountain (Bull Mountain, #1)
  • Like Lions (Bull Mountain, #2)
  • Hard Cash Valley (Bull Mountain, #3)