Start by marking “The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)

The Night Country

(The Hazel Wood #2)

The highly anticipated sequel to Melissa Albert’s beloved, New York Times bestselling debut The Hazel Wood!

In The Night Country, Alice Proserpine dives back into a menacing, mesmerizing world of dark fairy tales and hidden doors. Follow her and Ellery Finch as they learn The Hazel Wood was just the beginning, and that worlds die not with a whimper, but a bang.

With Finch’s
Published January 7th 2020 by Flatiron Books

Start your review of The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)
Melissa
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm definitely going to read this a lot of times.

Edited to add: You can read the book's first chapter here!
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
No need to talk about the elephant in the room. It is so obvious that I didn’t enjoy the first book and I didn’t foresee my request would be accepted but one morning I checked my library and here we go I got this sequel and I firstly admit, WHAT AN ARTISTIC, AMAZING COVER reflects book’s darkness approach to the fairytales.

And you know what! I surprisingly enjoyed this one more. I still went back and forth between 3 and 4 stars but 3.5 rounded up again to 4. And another interesting fact during
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chelsea by: Flatiron Books
"To be honest, I don't know if I've even got a soul. If a soul is what makes you human, then I probably don't. Unless a soul is something you can grow, like, after the fact. And I don't think it is. So. No soul. Just to explain why your pickup line's not working on me."

Tehehehehe. I love being back in this world. If you thought The Hazel Wood was dark, just wait until you jump into The Night Country. This sequel kept all the things I loved about the first book, and brought in a bunch of new
emma
COVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVER

-------------

to whom it may concern:

yours with great sincerity and gratitude,
emma
CerysAnne
May 15, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: cant-wait
This better be about Finch. That’s all I’m asking for. GODDAMN IT WOMAN PLEASE JUST GIVE ME MORE FINCH!

EDITED TO ADD: WE HAVE A TITLE AND IT IS GOOOOOOOOOOOORGEOUSSSSSSSSS NOW ALL WE NEED IS A SYNOPSIS AND I WILL BE ONE HAPPY LADY
Miranda Reads
Jan 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
description
A huge thank you to Flatiron Press and Melissa Albert for sending me a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Just finished The Hazel Wood and all I can think about is how much I want to read this one.
Tucker

Many thanks to Flatiron Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

review to come

----------------

OMG IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL

----------------

edit: A COVER! WE HAVE A COVER THIS IS NOT A DRILLLL!!!
OMMMGGGG!!!! A TITLE!!! DFDHEDGAJNSIFNE

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Katherine Elizabeth
This may be the last time I give the first novel in a series 2-stars and still continue with the series. Because The Night Country is proof to me that a series you don’t like typically does not get better the further you get into it (the SJM books also proved this to me, too).

Similarly to the first book in the series, I found this one too boring and predictable. I think it’s mainly due to feeling like such a young novel/series. And it’s such a disappointment, too, because this story has such
Hollis
This series has definitely been one of the darker, and bloodier, stories surrounding fairytales that I've ever read. And it feels very true, reads so much more honestly, than the versions our generation grew up with. I think it's that darkness, that depth, that I love most of all. The creativity of twisting these tales, or letting them be their truth, is fantastic. I love it. But there's also another side of these books that just doesn't quite line up for me.

In book one, it was Alice's
Angela Staudt
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I don’t really know what my feelings are about this book. Was it good? Sure. Was it memorable and what I thought it was going to be? No. I loved the concept of this series, and the first book was really good. The whole fairytales are real, but are also scary, evil, and creepy. That was awesome and learning about Hinterland was exciting, but also terrified me.

The first 100 or so pages of this book, I felt like nothing was happening. Honestly though, once you get past that it does get interesting
Mircatxbooks
Jun 14, 2018 marked it as to-read
Okay, all I can say is that I hope that Alice and Finch can find their way back to each other. Maybe she'll join him in another world along with her mother - after all, Ella missed the magic too.
♠ TABI ♠
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
'This wasn't magic like I'd seen--the snarled labyrinth of the Hazel Wood, the unlatched cages of the Hinterland. It was older. Cruder. This magic was a blunt and wily animal, fed on horrors.'

description

I actually liked this book so much better than the first one. Which is good for a sequel!! But I still felt like it was perhaps a bit awkwardly paced in quite a few areas, Alice was still a bit confusing character . . . and there definitely wasn't enough Finch. I also wanted this to be longer?? The
Shelby
Apr 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
Don't get me wrong, I LOVED The Hazel Wood but it ended on such a good note... what are you going to do?
Elle Rudy
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways, 2020
Full of twists, turns and places we’ve never seen before, Melissa Albert delivers a sequel that’s more than lived up to the enchantingly grim tale that came before it.

“A book is always a door.”

With Alice’s return from the Hinterland, I guess this book verges into Urban Fantasy, more so than before. There’s further crossover between the Stories and our world as we follow Alice as she tries to unravel another mystery. While the Hinterland itself was once following her, now she’s haunted by new
Cody Roecker
Jan 08, 2018 marked it as to-read
LET'S GO I CANNOT WAIT

(i am going to adore this, 100%)
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, Flat Iron Books, via Netgalley for an honest review.

“‘You still think you live in a world where girls will lie down for you and show you their throats.’”

description

“‘Now lie down, and show me your throat.’”

After escaping The Hinterland and her story, Alice is back in New York with her mother, just trying to make a new life for herself away from the magic and fairy tales. But after time paces, Alice finds herself drawn back to the ex-stories of The
Bethany
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I absolutely adored The Hazelwood, but I was kind of nervous about getting a sequel because it works so well as a standalone. And honestly, while there are things I like about The Night Country, I really don't think it felt necessary. The standout here is the new fairytales, and Melissa Albert is the queen of wonderfully dark fairytales. (I can't wait to get my hands on Tales from the Hinterlands!) As for the rest of the plot, it was really a mixed bag for me.

I can't say too much without
Jessica | Booked J
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blog | Twitter | Instagram

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way. LIBRO.FM provided the audiobook for reviewing purposes. This does not effect my opinion in any way. You can also find this review here at Booked J.

The Hazel Wood Series
The Hazel Wood: (4.5--is likely to be bumped up to a five star)
The Night Country:

W-O-W. Wow. Just, wow. I'm obsessed.

You guys already know I'm a
megs_bookrack
...soooooooo
I guess this means that I actually have to read The Hazel Wood now...
Because there's no way I am not jumping in on this hype!

FOMO is real, people!!!
Samantha Sophia
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m hanging on for book 2 because of Finch and his worlds exploring. I think there is room to tell a better story that doesn’t drag and with a hero you would actually root for that also doesn’t dismiss the only person of color’s narrative. Also, Janet and the story spinner would be great folks to expand upon

This story has potential and it falls short in a number of ways. I did find a continuity issue at the end with Sophia Snow, feels like a late add that was poorly edited into the book. The
Kirsty ❤️
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The second in the Hazel Wood series and I enjoyed it as much as the first one. As before there's a magical lilt to the writing but as it's about 'Stories' (the name for people in the tales) that makes sense. This time Alice and the others that left the Hinterland are in New York when several are murdered and it looks like Alice is being framed for the deaths. She sets about clearing her name and finding the real killer.

I wasn't so keen on Ellory's part of the story. His relationship with
Juli
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another darkly awesome fairy tale by Melissa Albert! I was a little bit afraid to read a sequel to The Hazel Wood. So often, when I really love a book, I am disappointed in a sequel. Most of the time, they just don't have the same feel as the first book. But, I am glad to report that, for me, this book is just as good as The Hazel Wood! In places, maybe even better! It took me a few days after downloading my review copy to work up the courage to start reading -- I'm so glad I did! It ended up ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/01/20/...

The theme for 2020 so far seems to be sequels with a different tone or feel than their originals. The latest book to fall into this pattern appears to be The Night Country, the follow-up to Melissa Albert’s debut The Hazel Wood, which I really enjoyed. Believe it or not, this one goes even deeper in already dark territory, but I loved how these changes enhanced the story’s haunted atmosphere and complex characters.

Anyway,
Ari
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
Patricia
THE NIGHT COUNTRY is better than THE HAZEL WOOD, which I would consider more 3.5 stars. I felt that THE HAZEL WOOD felt more disjointed. THE NIGHT COUNTRY is an interesting read filled with dark and bloody fairy tales and strange doors. I believe fantasy seekers will love this book!
MJ
Feb 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
a second book! yessss!

Jacqie
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley for providing a copy of this book for review.

This is probably about a 3.5 and I'm marking it as a 3 because I was a bit disappointed in it. Why is that? Probably because it suffered by comparison with The Hazel Wood.

Alice has changed a lot from the first book. Instead of being cold and bitter, she's ineffectively panicked for most of the story. She's worried about her new friends from the Hinterlands who are now living in Brooklyn. Alice feels very human in this book, and I
Devann
DNF @ 25%

I still plan on reading Tales from the Hinterland when it comes out but I just could not get into this. I feel like the magic of the first book was largely in the whole 'book within a book' format and featuring the original stories more heavily. This one read more like a very standard young adult urban fantasy murder mystery kind of thing and I was not feeling it. I'm looking forward to reading more of the original fairy tales in the future novella but I don't think this sequel was
Jocelyn
I couldn't figure out if this wasn't gripping me because I was in a slump or because it was a wholly unnecessary sequel. After talking it over with my friend Bethany, there's likely a bit of the former, but it's mostly the latter. I loved the darkness of The Hazel Wood and think it works perfectly as a standalone. I don't need more to Alice's story and am happy to dnf this around 30% in.
unknown
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When you’ve finished The Hazel Wood, you think a sequel isn’t necessary.

When you’ve finished The Night Country, you realize you were wrong.
Serpent and Badge...: The Night Country 1 6 Jan 12, 2020 10:02AM
Turning Pages by ...: REVIEW COPIES AVAILABLE: The Night Country 8 55 Nov 26, 2019 11:52AM
I write books slowly, and read books fast.

I try to reply to all messages and questions, so please reach out, or come find me on Twitter (@mimi_albert) or Instagram (@melissaalbertauthor)! (But please note: I don't accept GR friend requests anymore because of Amazon's related review policy.)

• Winterwood
  • The Pretenders (The Similars, #2)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • His Hideous Heart
  • Meg and Jo
  • The Dark Lord Clementine
  • Sandgrav (Embla Nyström, #2)
  • The Wives
  • All-American Muslim Girl
  • If I Never Met You
  • A Madness of Sunshine
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Everafter Song (The Evermore Chronicles #3)
  • Finding Christmas