Start by marking “The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)

The Night Country

(The Hazel Wood #2)

The highly anticipated sequel to Melissa Albert’s beloved, New York Times bestselling debut The Hazel Wood!

In The Night Country, Alice Proserpine dives back into a menacing, mesmerizing world of dark fairy tales and hidden doors. Follow her and Ellery Finch as they learn The Hazel Wood was just the beginning, and that worlds die not with a whimper, but a bang.

With Finch’s
Published January 7th 2020 by Flatiron Books

Start your review of The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)
Melissa
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm definitely going to read this a lot of times.

Edited to add: You can read the book's first chapter here!
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
No need to talk about the elephant in the room. It is so obvious that I didn’t enjoy the first book and I didn’t foresee my request would be accepted but one morning I checked my library and here we go I got this sequel and I firstly admit, WHAT AN ARTISTIC, AMAZING COVER reflects book’s darkness approach to the fairytales.

And you know what! I surprisingly enjoyed this one more. I still went back and forth between 3 and 4 stars but 3.5 rounded up again to 4. And another interesting fact during
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chelsea by: Flatiron Books
"To be honest, I don't know if I've even got a soul. If a soul is what makes you human, then I probably don't. Unless a soul is something you can grow, like, after the fact. And I don't think it is. So. No soul. Just to explain why your pickup line's not working on me."

Tehehehehe. I love being back in this world. If you thought The Hazel Wood was dark, just wait until you jump into The Night Country. This sequel kept all the things I loved about the first book, and brought in a bunch of new
emma
Mar 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
COVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVER

-------------

to whom it may concern:

yours with great sincerity and gratitude,
emma
theresa
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
GIMME GIMME GIMME I WANT ALICE AND FINCH PLZZZ
CerysAnne
May 15, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: cant-wait
This better be about Finch. That’s all I’m asking for. GODDAMN IT WOMAN PLEASE JUST GIVE ME MORE FINCH!

EDITED TO ADD: WE HAVE A TITLE AND IT IS GOOOOOOOOOOOORGEOUSSSSSSSSS NOW ALL WE NEED IS A SYNOPSIS AND I WILL BE ONE HAPPY LADY
Mircatxbooks
Jun 14, 2018 marked it as to-read
Okay, all I can say is that I hope that Alice and Finch can find their way back to each other. Maybe she'll join him in another world along with her mother - after all, Ella missed the magic too.
Shelby
Apr 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
Don't get me wrong, I LOVED The Hazel Wood but it ended on such a good note... what are you going to do?
Hollis
This series has definitely been one of the darker, and bloodier, stories surrounding fairytales that I've ever read. And it feels very true, reads so much more honestly, than the versions our generation grew up with. I think it's that darkness, that depth, that I love most of all. The creativity of twisting these tales, or letting them be their truth, is fantastic. I love it. But there's also another side of these books that just doesn't quite line up for me.

In book one, it was Alice's
♠ TABI ♠
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
'This wasn't magic like I'd seen--the snarled labyrinth of the Hazel Wood, the unlatched cages of the Hinterland. It was older. Cruder. This magic was a blunt and wily animal, fed on horrors.'

description

I actually liked this book so much better than the first one. Which is good for a sequel!! But I still felt like it was perhaps a bit awkwardly paced in quite a few areas, Alice was still a bit confusing character . . . and there definitely wasn't enough Finch. I also wanted this to be longer?? The
Miranda Reads
Jan 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
Just finished The Hazel Wood and all I can think about is how much I want to read this one.
Cody Roecker
Jan 08, 2018 marked it as to-read
LET'S GO I CANNOT WAIT

(i am going to adore this, 100%)
Jessica | Booked J
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blog | Twitter | Instagram

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way. LIBRO.FM provided the audiobook for reviewing purposes. This does not effect my opinion in any way. You can also find this review here at Booked J.

The Hazel Wood Series
The Hazel Wood: (4.5--is likely to be bumped up to a five star)
The Night Country:

W-O-W. Wow. Just, wow. I'm obsessed.

You guys already know I'm a
Kirsty ❤️
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The second in the Hazel Wood series and I enjoyed it as much as the first one. As before there's a magical lilt to the writing but as it's about 'Stories' (the name for people in the tales) that makes sense. This time Alice and the others that left the Hinterland are in New York when several are murdered and it looks like Alice is being framed for the deaths. She sets about clearing her name and finding the real killer.

I wasn't so keen on Ellory's part of the story. His relationship with
megs_bookrack
...soooooooo
I guess this means that I actually have to read The Hazel Wood now...
Because there's no way I am not jumping in on this hype!

FOMO is real, people!!!
Samantha Sophia
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m hanging on for book 2 because of Finch and his worlds exploring. I think there is room to tell a better story that doesn’t drag and with a hero you would actually root for that also doesn’t dismiss the only person of color’s narrative. Also, Janet and the story spinner would be great folks to expand upon

This story has potential and it falls short in a number of ways. I did find a continuity issue at the end with Sophia Snow, feels like a late add that was poorly edited into the book. The
Angela Staudt
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I don’t really know what my feelings are about this book. Was it good? Sure. Was it memorable and what I thought it was going to be? No. I loved the concept of this series, and the first book was really good. The whole fairytales are real, but are also scary, evil, and creepy. That was awesome and learning about Hinterland was exciting, but also terrified me.

The first 100 or so pages of this book, I felt like nothing was happening. Honestly though, once you get past that it does get interesting
Ari
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
Juli
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another darkly awesome fairy tale by Melissa Albert! I was a little bit afraid to read a sequel to The Hazel Wood. So often, when I really love a book, I am disappointed in a sequel. Most of the time, they just don't have the same feel as the first book. But, I am glad to report that, for me, this book is just as good as The Hazel Wood! In places, maybe even better! It took me a few days after downloading my review copy to work up the courage to start reading -- I'm so glad I did! It ended up ...more
Patricia
THE NIGHT COUNTRY is better than THE HAZEL WOOD, which I would consider more 3.5 stars. I felt that THE HAZEL WOOD felt more disjointed. THE NIGHT COUNTRY is an interesting read filled with dark and bloody fairy tales and strange doors. I believe fantasy seekers will love this book!
MJ
Feb 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
a second book! yessss!

Bethany
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I absolutely adored The Hazelwood, but I was kind of nervous about getting a sequel because it works so well as a standalone. And honestly, while there are things I like about The Night Country, I really don't think it felt necessary. The standout here is the new fairytales, and Melissa Albert is the queen of wonderfully dark fairytales. (I can't wait to get my hands on Tales from the Hinterlands!) As for the rest of the plot, it was really a mixed bag for me.

I can't say too much without
Scrill
Dec 02, 2019 marked it as dnf
In hindsight I realized that I didn't actually care for the disjointed pacing in the first book. I do LOVE how much the writing sorta sucks you in and puts you in a very particular sort of vibe. And it's that vibe along with the pacing that has reminded me that I didn't actually want to read the sequel, and that I wanted to leave it as it was.
USOM
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

The Night Country tackles this issue of ex-stories making their way in Alice's world. It's a process full of grief, confusion, and growing pains. It encompasses our feelings of not fitting in, with our sharp edges and ghosts of power. How can they figure out a way to press themselves into the world? To soften their edges? Because at these moments, we have to decide if we are going to
Jane
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Night Country

I was lucky to win this amazing book in a Giveaway.

When I read The Hazle woods I loved the fairy story plot and the idea of story characters who are stolen from their world and brought to reality.
Continuing in this world is The Night Country an amazing book about what happens to the characters who become a part of existence but still remain ex-story.
Sophia is a new character who like Alice is ex-story. She is my favorite of the characters in this book. I love her courage.
Alice
unknown
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When you’ve finished The Hazel Wood, you think a sequel isn’t necessary.

When you’ve finished The Night Country, you realize you were wrong.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Don't be discouraged by this DNF. The Hazel Wood caught me in the right mood, and I devoured it, despite it not being my typical sort of read. This one isn't hitting me in that moment, and I also don't remember who ANY of these people are but Alice to the degree that I don't know if they're new or were major characters in book one. The writing is lovely and the plot so far shows interest, but I'm not invested, so I'm going to move on, especially as book one worked well as a standalone.
Taylor Givens
Dec 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
I can’t wait to get my paws on this!
Fanna
Dec 04, 2019 marked it as definitive-tbr  ·  review of another edition
12/12/219: Have to DNF at 10% for now. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for something so dark and I think I'm in dire need of re-reading The Hazel Wood.

I absolutely loved THE HAZEL WOOD and it's been almost two years since I lived in that dark fantasy atmospheric vibe of this series Also, this is a buddy read with Gayatri @per_fictionist and thanks to Macmillan Audi & LibroFM for the advanced listening copy!
Nia
Dec 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
I really hope Finch comes back into the story. I enjoyed his character too much to see him go. Hopefully this book at least describes his journeys in the Hinterland. I really want him and Alice to be together though, thought it was going to happen. They has so much chemistry. Don't get me wrong I love their friendship but I mean come on, I think we all know what was happening there.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Serpent and Badge...: The Night Country 1 5 Jan 12, 2020 10:02AM
Turning Pages by ...: REVIEW COPIES AVAILABLE: The Night Country 8 52 Nov 26, 2019 11:52AM
I write books slowly, and read books fast.

I try to reply to all messages and questions, so please reach out, or come find me on Twitter (@mimi_albert) or Instagram (@melissaalbertauthor)! (But please note: I don't accept GR friend requests anymore because of Amazon's related review policy.)

• Woven in Moonlight
  • Winterwood
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Chosen (Slayer, #2)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Echoes Between Us
  • Foul Is Fair
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • A Queen in Hiding (The Nine Realms, #1)