Start by marking “Baby Mine” as Want to Read:
Baby Mine

Baby Mine

Detroit, USA, 1948

Amaliya Preobrazhensky lives with her mother in a tiny apartment. They don't have much except each other, but that's all right. Every day, God provides.

When Amaliya's father, who hasn't been around since before she was born, returns and a custody battle begins, it's hard for her to understand. Can a man she's never met really take her away from her belove
Published April 6th 2019 by Reveries Co. (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Mine

Start your review of Baby Mine
Kellyn Roth
"This short story/novelette is a perfect afternoon read for both tears and smiles!"

Buy a copy here | See details on my website

Enjoy!

~Kellyn Roth, author
Hannah
What a sweet little story about a girl and her mom! I was surprised by the ending and I devoured it almost as fast as I would eat a candy.
Penny Wood
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so wonderful. It touched my heart, made me happy, made me want to cry, and feel every emotion in between!!! I loved every character, and it was so gut wrenching yet so innocent (being told from such a young girl's perspective) and I loved that take on it!
Five stars! :D
Lady Delacour
Lovely Little
Short Story.
3 Sweet Stars
Listened with TTS.
100% Clean.
R.A.
This was so adorable!!! <3 I absolutely loved Amaliya - and I really liked how the book was in her point of view (a five year old!)! And that cover is so gorgeous!

Content:
One swear word
Bridget Marshall
I love stories written from the perspective of a child, especially if done well. This was adorable, but quite sad, too!
Merie Shen
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just sighed after reading this little short. "Baby Mine" is told in the first-person point of view of Amaliya, an innocent child whose life is suddenly upset by the decisions of several strangers intruding in on her peaceful life with her dear mother. This story is a typical jewel of historical fiction by Kellyn Roth, who never ceases to amaze me with her deep, emotional stories. Even one as short as Amaliya's.

*I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. A
Ejayen
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very short. Very sweet.
E.F.B.
Aw! This was the sweetest thing! I teared up at the end. Excellent, excellent characterization in all areas and I loved the message that a child is never a sin or a mistake even if they came to this world because their parents did something they shouldn't have when they weren't married. He or she is a human being and a blessing. So much love on display here. I think this is the best story I've read from this author so far.
Loretta Marchize
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
b>Five stars

Prose: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Prose:

Very fitting to the story, and the Russian themes! I loved it.
Characters:
Amaliya was so cute and innocent! I felt that she fit her age perfectly. Mrs. Arden was so sweet and really did the right thing.
Plot:
For a short story, from a child's perspective, it moved along very well. There was never a moment when I was bored.
Overall:
Such a cute little story and I really liked it! Definitely recommend it.
Content:
None.
Elizabeth Dragina
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Aww, tugged at my emotions unexpectedly.

Although I did feel the perspective was a bit more mature than a 5 year old should be.

That ending though. 💖
Mazzy Mitchell
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, summer-of-2020
This was a short and sweet read by the excellent Ms. Roth. Any quibbles I might have are insignificant because she did an excellent job cultivating emotional attachment to the characters and Amaliya was super cute. I really enjoyed it.
Lila Diller
Though the characters were interesting, I wasn't impressed by the voice. It was told in first-person by the 5-year-old girl, which was a great idea. Many times, however, she used words that a 5-year-old wouldn't, such as “vehemently.”

The setting itself was not explained until 1/3 of the way through the story, when we finally learned for sure what time period it was. There had been a hint or two, but it was not clear.

There were a couple of inconsistencies, such as the name of the girl's stuffed
Rebekah Morris
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
First off, I was a little confused by the fact that this was labeled as a “short story” yet it was several chapters long. No it didn’t take very long to read, but normally I think of “short stories” as ones with no chapters. But that’s just me.

When I first started reading I thought it was a modern story, then we moved a little farther into the story and I figured it must be during the Great Depression, finally I find out it takes place after WWII. By then I was mixed up because some things felt
Angie Thompson
For some reason, I had a hard time getting into this one. The writing was very good, but it didn't seem quite realistic from the first-person viewpoint of a five-year-old. And the whole issue surrounding her birth and parentage was a bit uncomfortable for me, especially with how much it played into the story. Although I did appreciate the strong message about that aspect in the end.

The ending also felt really abrupt; I guess I would like to have seen more of how exactly things were worked out. I
Kaitlyn S.
A sweet, refreshing look at the pain children can experience in broken homes. This was well written, descriptive, and I'm amazed that it was so short! A much needed read in today's society. While the topic of unwed pregnancy and single motherhood was handled well, I think this one would be most appreciated by those 12 and older . . . although there is no content that would make me hesitate handing it to a 10 year old. I just feel as if the beauty of the story would be best understood by those ol ...more
R. M.
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet story. I sure wish someone would have warned me about the emotions. You know that feeling of trying not to cry 'cause you're reading with other people in the room, but you still feel like crying because the story is just that good?

Yeah, that's how I feel about this story. Very heartrending at parts but also sweet and hope-filled.
Rachel
This was soo, sooo sweet!!! You have to read this short story!!!

No spoilers here, but when I got to the middle-ish of the story, I started to get a bit worried because of how short it was. I wasn't sure how it was going to resolve, it was so well written! I enjoyed every bit of it, ohh...I want more of sweet little Amaliya!!!

This short story was awesome.
Kylie Hunt
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a lovely, heart tugging historical fiction short story!
From the first few pages I was drawn in and couldn't wait to find out what happened.

The only thing I wished was that it was longer and I hope Author Kellyn Roth does a continuation of it one day.
Emily Yager
A short and sweet story. Told through the eyes of a five-year-old girl, making it an interesting take on the story itself. It had a few heartfelt moments. A quick read, perfect for when you don't have much time but want something meaningful.
Abigail Harris
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, this short story is quite powerful! I loved it from beginning to end. Miss Roth does an incredible job with her young characters.
Angela Watts
Lilian
Jan 16, 2019
Aria
Jan 31, 2019

• A Strand of Hope (Librarians of Willow Hollow)
  • I Love to Tell the Story (Librarians of Willow Hollow #2)
  • Window Fellow
  • Hearts on Lonely Mountain (Librarians of Willow Hollow #3)
  • Red Rover, Red Rover (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #1)
  • Me? Teach Piano?
  • Love Blind
  • Live Again (Live Without You #0.5)
  • Illustration Studio: Inking Florals: A step-by-step guide to creating dynamic modern florals  in ink and watercolor
  • Alice & Gert: An Ant and Grasshopper Story
  • Live in Love: Growing Together Through Life's Changes
  • The Secret Place of Thunder (Librarians of Willow Hollow, #4)
  • A to Z Devotions for Courageous Girls
  • Plan to Fail (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #2)
  • Emmanuel
  • Freedom (Liberty's Battlegrounds, #1)
  • Beloved
  • Dandelion Dust

Kellyn Roth is a Christian historical women's fiction and romance author. Sound boring? Well, she includes lots of adorable children and mischievous animals—as well as a generous dose of BBC-style drama.

Kell lives on a ranch in North-Eastern Oregon with her family, crazy border collies, conceited fluffy cat, and assorted cows and chickens.

Other than authoring, she blogs, teaches young writers to