Start by marking “Baby Mine” as Want to Read:

Detroit, USA, 1948

Amaliya Preobrazhensky lives with her mother in a tiny apartment. They don't have much except each other, but that's all right. Every day, God provides.

When Amaliya's father, who hasn't been around since before she was born, returns and a custody battle begins, it's hard for her to understand. Can a man she's never met really take her away from her belove
Published April 6th 2019 by Wild Blue Wonder Press (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Mine

Start your review of Baby Mine
Kellyn Roth
"This short story/novelette is a perfect afternoon read for both tears and smiles!"

Buy a copy here | See details on my website

Enjoy!

~Kellyn Roth, author
Hannah
What a sweet little story about a girl and her mom! I was surprised by the ending and I devoured it almost as fast as I would eat a candy.
Katja Labonté
4 stars & 4/10 hearts. I loved Amaliya and Mummy at once. What dear, brave, wise, lovely people! The writing style was so sweet and the plot very engaging. I have to say I didn’t like Tom at ALL but Marie redeemed herself quickly. The whole point of the story was Tom having had an on leave fling with Lenora and then abandoning her, leaving her to deal with the stigma of out of wedlock pregnancy + the difficulties of single parenthood. (Did I mention I didn’t like Tom?) I was a little confused ov ...more
Penny Wood
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so wonderful. It touched my heart, made me happy, made me want to cry, and feel every emotion in between!!! I loved every character, and it was so gut wrenching yet so innocent (being told from such a young girl's perspective) and I loved that take on it!
Five stars! :D
Bethany Griggs
Jan 18, 2022 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this short story! The relationship between the mom and her little girl was very sweet. It dealt with a sensitive subject that did make me a little uncomfortable, but I thought it was well handled by being told through the eyes of a child. There was one euphemism for God used in the story, which I didn't appreciate. The ending was emotional and sweet. ...more
R.A.
This was so adorable!!! <3 I absolutely loved Amaliya - and I really liked how the book was in her point of view (a five year old!)! And that cover is so gorgeous!

Content:
One swear word
Bridget Marshall
I love stories written from the perspective of a child, especially if done well. This was adorable, but quite sad, too!
Sarah Rhomberg
Apr 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
I read this late one evening. Maybe that is the reason I was emotional about this. Or maybe it is because the book is so well-written.

The main character, a little girl, is really sweet and I admire the trust she has in God.

The only (little) thing that put me off was the cover. Because of the image, I started reading, thinking the MC was a baby, not a child.

In total, this short story was absolutely charming and definitely my favourite book by this author.

Star rating: 5 stars from 5
Merie Shen
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just sighed after reading this little short. "Baby Mine" is told in the first-person point of view of Amaliya, an innocent child whose life is suddenly upset by the decisions of several strangers intruding in on her peaceful life with her dear mother. This story is a typical jewel of historical fiction by Kellyn Roth, who never ceases to amaze me with her deep, emotional stories. Even one as short as Amaliya's.

*I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. A
E.F.B.
Aw! This was the sweetest thing! I teared up at the end. Excellent, excellent characterization in all areas and I loved the message that a child is never a sin or a mistake even if they came to this world because their parents did something they shouldn't have when they weren't married. He or she is a human being and a blessing. So much love on display here. I think this is the best story I've read from this author so far. ...more
Ejayen

Prose: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Prose:

Very fitting to the story, and the Russian themes! I loved it.
Characters:
Amaliya was so cute and innocent! I felt that she fit her age perfectly. Mrs. Arden was so sweet and really did the right thing.
Plot:
For a short story, from a child's perspective, it moved along very well. There was never a moment when I was bored.
Overall:
Such a cute little story and I really liked it! Definitely recommend it.
Content:
None.
Abby Johansen
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: discovered-gems
4.5 Stars

Such a beautiful story!!!!! 💙💙
I loved seeing *everything* from Amaliya's POV! Usually I don't care much for child POVs, but this one just tugged on my heartstrings and gave me no choice but to love it.
And I absolutely loved how Kell brought in so many different aspects of Post-WWII America - racism against "enemy cultures", little life aspects, and even the fact that Amaliya's mother was a telephone operator.
I enjoy stories about "tough topics," and this one fits!!! Unwed mother, child
R.M. Scheller
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet story. I sure wish someone would have warned me about the emotions. You know that feeling of trying not to cry 'cause you're reading with other people in the room, but you still feel like crying because the story is just that good?

Yeah, that's how I feel about this story. Very heartrending at parts but also sweet and hope-filled.
Elizabeth Dragina
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Aww, tugged at my emotions unexpectedly.

Although I did feel the perspective was a bit more mature than a 5 year old should be.

That ending though. 💖
Mazzy Mitchell
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, summer-of-2020
This was a short and sweet read by the excellent Ms. Roth. Any quibbles I might have are insignificant because she did an excellent job cultivating emotional attachment to the characters and Amaliya was super cute. I really enjoyed it.
Rebekah Morris
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
First off, I was a little confused by the fact that this was labeled as a “short story” yet it was several chapters long. No it didn’t take very long to read, but normally I think of “short stories” as ones with no chapters. But that’s just me.

When I first started reading I thought it was a modern story, then we moved a little farther into the story and I figured it must be during the Great Depression, finally I find out it takes place after WWII. By then I was mixed up because some things felt
Rachel
This was soo, sooo sweet!!! You have to read this short story!!!

No spoilers here, but when I got to the middle-ish of the story, I started to get a bit worried because of how short it was. I wasn't sure how it was going to resolve, it was so well written! I enjoyed every bit of it, ohh...I want more of sweet little Amaliya!!!

This short story was awesome.

--------
Reread it to my younger sister, and possibly enjoyed it even more than at first. :)
Abigail Harris
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, this short story is quite powerful! I loved it from beginning to end. Miss Roth does an incredible job with her young characters.
Lila Diller
Though the characters were interesting, I wasn't impressed by the voice. It was told in first-person by the 5-year-old girl, which was a great idea. Many times, however, she used words that a 5-year-old wouldn't, such as “vehemently.”

The setting itself was not explained until 1/3 of the way through the story, when we finally learned for sure what time period it was. There had been a hint or two, but it was not clear.

There were a couple of inconsistencies, such as the name of the girl's stuffed
Hanna
Oct 11, 2021 rated it liked it
First: what a great name Amaliya is! I always like knowing the nationalities/ethnicities that are the main characters, so having Amaliya and her mother being Russian--and the hinted-at connotations--was a nice touch for me.

Second: Being a short story, the plot was simple and direct, with few nuances. It started up, went down, and ended happy, like a cosine wave. At the same time, however, there were plenty of complexities--complexities that weren't addressed, mainly because the story was told fr
Hannah Foster
Sep 05, 2022 rated it liked it
This was a very sweet short story. The only thing I struggled with personally was that it was written in first person from a five-year-old's perspective, and I haven't been five in a very long time, but I didn't feel like the thoughts and even responses of this five-year-old were very accurate. The child seemed in most ways older than five, but the beginning where the mother is holding and rocking the baby to sleep made the child sound younger than five. But overall, a very sweet story.

Oh, I als
Angie Thompson
For some reason, I had a hard time getting into this one. The writing was very good, but it didn't seem quite realistic from the first-person viewpoint of a five-year-old. And the whole issue surrounding her birth and parentage was a bit uncomfortable for me, especially with how much it played into the story. Although I did appreciate the strong message about that aspect in the end.

The ending also felt really abrupt; I guess I would like to have seen more of how exactly things were worked out. I
Kaitlyn S.
A sweet, refreshing look at the pain children can experience in broken homes. This was well written, descriptive, and I'm amazed that it was so short! A much needed read in today's society. While the topic of unwed pregnancy and single motherhood was handled well, I think this one would be most appreciated by those 12 and older . . . although there is no content that would make me hesitate handing it to a 10 year old. I just feel as if the beauty of the story would be best understood by those ol ...more
Kylie Hunt - The Film Director's Wife
This was such a lovely, heart tugging historical fiction short story!
From the first few pages I was drawn in and couldn't wait to find out what happened.

The only thing I wished was that it was longer and I hope Author Kellyn Roth does a continuation of it one day.
Emily Yager
A short and sweet story. Told through the eyes of a five-year-old girl, making it an interesting take on the story itself. It had a few heartfelt moments. A quick read, perfect for when you don't have much time but want something meaningful. ...more
GJ S
May 29, 2021 rated it liked it
Christian historical novel of

Short story that had a true to life storyline.
Christ was center and trusted throughout.
Authors story was needful, no sexual content
or cussing which I was grateful for it.
Andrea Cox
This book featured such a darling mother-daughter relationship. It was a heartbreaker, but I loved it.

Content: one replacement profanity
Carole A. Sellman
Apr 04, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Baby Mine

Beautiful story of a mother's love for her child and a child's love for her mother. The custody battle was well handled, in fact the entire story is handled well.
Morgan Giesbrecht
Short, sweet, and sad! Definitely an insightful look into the life of a single mother and her young child in post-WW2. I loved the Russian flare.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Secrets of Willow House (Sandy Cove, #1)
  • Hope for Finley Creek (Finley Creek, #5.5; General, #2.5)
  • Promises Unbroken (The Moretti Trilogy, #1)
  • The One That Got Away (Ridgemond Town Series Book 2)
  • Love Blooms (Bluestar Island, #1)
  • Colton (Kentucky Green, #1)
  • Forever This Time (Hope Harbor Book 1)
  • Where The Truth Lies (DI Ridpath #1)
  • Right Number (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #6.5)
  • Deadhead and Buried (English Cottage Garden Mysteries #1)
  • Hannah's Hanky (Clover Creek Caravan, #1)
  • His Second Chance (Choices and Chances Book 1)
  • Love, Lies & the D.A. (Love On The Pacific Shores #1)
  • The One That Got Away (Ridgemond Town Series Book 5)
  • The Governess 1 (Huntington Saga #1.1)
  • The Secret of Poppyridge Cove
  • His Forever Family / Never Too Late
  • Year of Impossible Goodbyes
Kellyn Roth is a historical romance & women’s fiction author who writes about the empty places where hope has the most room to grow. Her novels include the inspirational Victorian family saga, The Chronicles of Alice and Ivy, and the Kees & Colliers series, which follows a broken family in the tumultuous years of the first half of the 20th century.

Kellyn is a student of the Author Conservatory and