Start by marking “59 Memory Lane” as Want to Read:
59 Memory Lane

59 Memory Lane

May Rosevere has reached the grand old age of one-hundred-and-ten, thanks to a slice of toast with butter every morning, a glass (or two) of sherry in the evening, and the wonders of the Cornish sea breeze – or so she tells everyone.

But May has a secret. One that no one has ever discovered, not even her late husband Charles.

A treasure trove of long-forgotten letters, just

Published April 1st 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about 59 Memory Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 59 Memory Lane

Start your review of 59 Memory Lane
Samantha Tonge
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Opening this book each evening was like delving into a pick n' mix of characters - all very different to each other yet impossible to choose as a favourite.
I LOVED this story! Centenarian May is determined to reach her one hundred and eleventh year - but this would come at a price. Is she willing to use her special gift, and achieve her goal, to the detriment of others?
The book enjoys a delightful seaside, cottage setting and felt utterly escapist each time I delved into it. The older characters
Lizzie Lamb
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written novel for anyone who enjoyed Ruth Hogan’s THE KEEPER OF LOST THINGS. Be drawn in by the cover and then learn to love the characters who inhabit the pages, each one (for different reasons) beguiles the reader. I loved May and totally bought into her story and was rooting for her to reach the milestone of the 111th birthday - will she find enough new memories to help her to get there? What secrets will she discover? Will the past defeat her? I’ll leave you to find out for you ...more
Liz Fenwick
Utterly enchanting...a delight from intriguing start to emotional finish!
P.W. Hazeldine
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Back in July I sought shelter in a bookstore to cool down from the hottest day of the year. As I buried my nose into the latest releases, I noticed a lady pick up a copy of Celia Anderson’s novel.
Our eyes caught for a few flickering moments, yet it seemed like eternity. A smile lit up her elderly face, wiping away the lines that gave away her age.
“I’m going to enjoy this book,” she told me in her croaky voice and tucking her wispy grey hair behind her ear.
“Why?” I quizzed.
“Well, let me tell you,
Karschtl
The summary for this book is very cryptic, but it got my interest nevertheless. And although this is a book with not so much really happening, I'm glad that I read it.

For me it was mostly a book about loneliness in old age, and solidarity in a community. Here it is a little seaside village in Cornwall that house a lot of older people, most of them living alone. A dedicated women organises an "Adopt a Granny" scheme, and thus Julia (85 years old) is thrown together with her vis-à-vis neighbour Ma
Hazel Prior
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
An unusual premise, a glorious setting and characters you root for. Charming!
Artemiz
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
59 Memory Lane is an strange story. The “main” character May is 110 years old and is waiting for her 111th birthday, which is just a couple of months away. She is some kind on energy/memory vampire and all she needs to last those last months is another dose of somebody’s memories. But May is not the only one who lives on Memory Lane, her over lane neighbor is Julia, who buried her husband Don recently, her next door neighbor is Andy with his daughter Tamsin, who’s mom died shortly after her birt ...more
Karly
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you netgallery for a copy in exchange for an honest review.

This book really grabbed me at first. I was taken in by the setting and loved the concept of this book. However as the book progressed I started to feel like some of the issues and characters were pointless and didnt really add to the story. I was a bit confused on times and did not really like the ending. There was a big build up to it but didn't really meet my expectations and I was left with questions afterwards. However I fell
Cheryl
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great collection of characters! They were so well written that I felt a real connection with them. When they were popping in and out of each other’s home, I was there with them. The setting helped as well, right on the coast in the beautiful county of Cornwall. May was nearly 111 years old and had collected many memories, not all her own. I loved how the friends looked out for each other. There are several secrets that come to light by the end of the book. It also highlighted the serious ...more
Aoife
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
In a small Cornish town, there's a lot of activity going on among the residents. Thanks to an adopt-a-granny initiative, 85-year-old Julia ends up 'adopting' her 110-year-old neighbour May who has a few magical secrets as to how she's reached the ripe old age. May starts helping Julia with a family mystery and soon enlists the help of Julia's granddaughter Emily from New York.

A lovely beachside setting and a somewhat magical twist, 59 Memory Lane has the ingredients for a lovely read and for som
Amanda
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful story! Such an unusual concept and characters you wish lived on your street. I loved May, aged one-hundred-and-ten, but sprightly as a spring lamb. The reason she's so young at heart will knock your socks off and I wish...no, I won't say more because I don't want to spoil the story. The younger characters are equally as likable, well apart from Candice. But the less we say about her the better. And all this set against a gorgeous Cornish backdrop. I could almost believe I was on ...more
Lee Bellingham
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’m undecided whether to give this 2 or 3 stars but on balance I don’t feel it quite warrants three. The concept of this book was intriguing but I felt that the magical element just fizzled out and the full implications were never explained or resolved. There were too many things happening, and people brought in, to really engage fully with the characters. It felt a bit whistle-stop, without real focus as it moved to the last third of the book. I just never felt that I really understood any of t ...more
Leah Mercer
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I've really been able to get stuck into a book, and this wonderful novel more than did the job! Once I started, I was immediately drawn into the stories of the characters. Set in beautiful Cornwall, I felt like I was escaping into another world every time I picked it up. With warm and engaging characters along with a brilliant plot, I can't recommend this book enough.
Liz
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A charming read with some quirky characters and a sprinkling of intrigue. I didn’t really buy into the ‘memory harnessing’ concept though so difficult to rate it more highly.
Michelle Mills
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Started off really well, but unusually for this author - the ending was very disappointing.
Anne
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Every so often, a book totally confounds your expectations: this always looked like a book I’d really enjoy with its promises of being “charming”, “heartwarming” and “feel good”, perhaps a little light froth to escape from life, and that might just have been enough. But it proved to be a book I fell in love with, quite head over heels – and not only because of its wonderful depiction of the older characters I love to read about but so rarely find at the centre of the books I read. There’s a stro ...more
Jill Steeples
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such an intriguing and original concept which kept me turning the pages. A warm-hearted read with memorable characters and a lovely seaside setting. Recommended!
Mandy Baggot
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A deeply evocative story for fans of Elizabeth Noble and TV's Call the Midwife.
Clare Chase
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. The storylines of the multiple well-drawn characters are so involving. The relationships are sometimes funny, sometimes sad and always believable. The book as whole is wonderfully touching and uplifting and the various mysteries and secrets from the past that are gradually unravelled add to a very satisfying mix. I also enjoyed the extras at the end of the book (I have the Kindle version) which include a recipe and an author Q&A. I was delighted to see that Celia An ...more
Barbara Camelford
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story. It is like a warm blanket to wrap around you on a cold night. The community spirit we see so rarely these days intertwine the characters diverse lives and strengthens as the story unfolds.
May is the delightful old lady who is determined to reach 111 but can she do it by fair means or not. She realises how silly she has been when she has her eyes opened to see the care bestowed on her by others.
Love, caring for others, obstinacy, understanding and so much more fill the pag
Jeanie
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Firstly I would like to thank the author for an outstanding book and what an amazing story unfolded it was quite breathtaking I just adored May she was the granny we would all loved to have had. she was cute charismatic but above all appreciated and very approachable Emile Julie Andy and Tas make up for most of the reading it was seriously such a joy to read this book.
I have an early copy of the sequel the cottage of curiosities to read next and I littery can't wait to see what we have in store
Alva
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved this neighbourhood journey with eccentric 110 year-old May at its centre. May's memory harvesting gift is causing a stir, both within and without her house. Neighbours Julia, Ida, Tristram, Andy, little Tamsin and visiting Emily do their best to take care of May while respecting her independence. A lovely flowing story about loss, love, living in a tight-knit village community, with well-defined characters in a beautiful Cornish setting. Looking out for more books by Celia Anderson.
Sandra McKenna
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read.

This is a lovely story set in Cornwall.
May is approaching 111, and is holding onto lots of secrets and mementos of other people. Can she put things into perspective before she passes?
This easy to read and moving story was well written and entertaining from beginning to end.
Yvonne Morgan
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book just called out to me...sometimes i do think books choose you. Full of warm mostly happy surprises. Very easy to read amazing characters great quirky storyline...which just sucked me in from the first chapter to the last...and i do think the author has left enough of the storylines slightly open for us to enjoy a sequal....pretty please...
Mummalovesbooks
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this quirky storyline and it’s fantastic characters.
I loved the fact the main characters were all more mature in age rather than being a romance story solely about a younger generation.
The story deals with love, friendship, grief, and the trial and tribulations of moving into the twilight years of life.
This book has great characters and an interesting take on memory and how it can be enjoyed or used in a slightly different way!!!!
Jenni Fletcher
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It was original, thought-provoking, utterly convincing and beautifully written. I really loved the concept and characters and it kept me guessing right to the end. I wished it could have gone on for longer. Hugely recommended!
Hayley Johnson
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a very easy read. Lovely stories that intertwined with each other, however I felt like there were many loose ends that needed tying up..... Maybe a sequel??
Julia
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
59 Memory Lane by Celia Anderson is a delightful contemporary novel about community. It is a wonderful warm read.
There is an eclectic mix of characters ranging from age six to one hundred and ten. They all inhabit a small Cornish village and we witness the ups and downs of village life. Needs are met as people look out for others. The down side is the gossip machine works overtime – your business is not your own.
A series of letters link top past events as the reader hears of a mystery to solve.
T
Carrie Elks
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such an excellent book. Full of quirky characters I fell in love with, and a mystery that kept me turning the page. A really enjoyable, thought-provoking read.
Elaine
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice easy read
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Forgotten Village
  • The Missing Pieces of Nancy Moon: Escape to the Riviera for the most irresistible read of 2020
  • A Thousand Roads Home
  • The Woman Who Kept Everything
  • If Only I Could Tell You
  • A Grand Old Time
  • One Minute Later
  • A Perfect Cornish Summer (Porthmellow Harbour #1)
  • Mr Portobello's Morning Paper
  • The Garden of Lost and Found
  • The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright
  • The Telephone Box Library
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.