Start by marking “Late to the Party” as Want to Read:
Late to the Party

Late to the Party

Seventeen is nothing like Codi Teller imagined.

She’s never crashed a party, never stayed out too late. She’s never even been kissed. And it’s not just because she’s gay. It’s because she and her two best friends, Maritza and JaKory, spend more time in her basement watching Netflix than engaging with the outside world.

So when Maritza and JaKory sugge
304 pages
Expected publication: April 21st 2020 by Roaring Brook Press (first published 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Late to the Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Late to the Party

anna (readingpeaches)
the mlm/wlw solidarity we need & deserve
Dahlia
I loved this a lot. RTC.
author redemption!!! (her name in the sky is one of my least favourite books ever, but i loved this). i'm too exhausted to write a review now but: i would've given this 5 stars if there weren't constant, cringe popular culture/fandom/gen z references. it almost felt like it was written for me since it was so eerily similar to my own experiences and feelings in high school. ANYWAY, proper review to come soon!

rep: lesbian mc, wlw li, gay side character (with a mlm li), bisexual Panamanian si/>
rachel ☾
◯ Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
AJ
May 20, 2019 marked it as arc-to-read
Umm this sounds fantastic!! SO MANY QUEER CHARACTERS!! I NEED IT!!!!
Adrienne Tooley
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to read this book in multiple forms, and I’ve loved it since the very beginning. First of all, this book is QUEER. It’s teenage characters span the spectrum of sexuality, with honest conversations surrounding those identities. This book is heartfelt, and Codi’s journey is one so many will relate to.

The friendships are real, authentic, and a little bit messy. The sibling relationship is strong and complicated. Codi is someone you root for and ache for in equal m
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Truly, does anyone write young sapphic love like Kelly Quindlen?

I could write a little blurb about the plot of this book but it wouldn't capture how visceral it actually feels: it's like swimming in the rain, top-of-the roller-coaster, midnight road-trips, water color portraits, and dark theater hand-holding. I read half of it without breathing. It's a story of young love (and that's there in spades) but it's even more about friendship: the versions of ourselves we build together and the pieces
Marquise Thomas
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Each of the characters has their own issues which we get to see and flesh out throughout the book. Even as the protagonist is trying to figure out her own issues, these secondary stories are never far behind. It adds a nostalgia for the days where I would get with my core group of friends, and be open and vulnerable.

It’s well-written novel as well. The story transitions organically: conversations and emotions are fleshed out in the character’s voice. Again, even through this novel focuses on th
Rima
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kelly Quindlen has a clear, vivid writing style that really breathes life into her stories, and this one is no exception. Late to the Party is a wonderful read, full of colourful and vibrant, multi-dimensional characters whom you can't help but relate to, even I did and I've had a vastly different experience from someone who'd be a high schooler in the USA.

Hannah's story resonated wildly with me when I first read Her Name In The Sky, because I was barely out to myself and figuring my
Elise
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is applicable to every teenager who ever felt awkward or left out or lonely...and thus it is applicable to everyone. The characters in Late to the Party have such real and honest emotions that I felt instantly transported back to those super frustrating years of not knowing who you should be or what you should do, all while gaining a meaningful and powerful perspective on the difficult/complicated emotions and situations you encounter as a high school student. I can't recommend this b ...more
Meaghan Quindlen
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Late to the Party was an incredible coming-of-age story. The main characters - Cody, JaKory, Maritza and Ricky - each helped capture the combined feelings of adventure and opportunity, but also self doubt and self discovery. LTTP reminds us that no matter who you are, if you're "popular" or an outsider, everyone's going through something and trying to figure out how to make it all work. For teens, it's a comforting story of the power of friendship, acceptance, and resilience; for adults, it will ...more
Thomas Hicks
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was incredibly well written and had me not wanting to put it down. I finished it in 2 days! The character development was excellent and really makes you connect & feel for the characters. I definitely recommend this for anyone looking for a great feelgood story!
Alex Logan
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Late to the Party is a journey that you want to go on. I could not put it down! I was accompanying each character on their own journey and had to know how it would end.

Its voice is authentic. It speaks to the human experience of being a teenager and “growing up.” It makes you reflect on, and nostalgic for, those days and it reminds you how your friendships change and shape you. It will speak to you. Read it. It’s worth it. You will thank yourself for it.
Olivia
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved every bit of this book - couldn't put it down! Highly recommend!
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Late to the Party is another fantastic novel by Kelly Quindlen.

Codi Teller finds herself hurtling towards adulthood feeling as though she'd never actually done anything. She just spends time watching Netflix with her best friends, Maritza and JaKory, and, even when they suggest crashing a party together, she has some pretty big reservations about how they're going to fit in with all of the cool, straight kids. But, in a moment of dissatisfaction, Codi decides that she's going to go to the party
Ellyn Zagoria
Katie
Feb 10, 2019
Ocean Weeks
Feb 12, 2019
Kelly wrote her first story, a gripping tale about the Easter Bunny, when she was six years old. Her traditional debut, Late to the Party, releases April 21, 2020, from Macmillan/Roaring Brook Press. She is also the author of the self-published novel Her Name in the Sky, which was featured on BuzzFeed, Bustle, and AfterEllen.

Kelly graduated from Vanderbilt University with a degree in English Lite