Start by marking “The Second Sleep” as Want to Read:
The Second Sleep

The Second Sleep

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  9,902 ratings  ·  1,421 reviews
All civilisations think they are invulnerable. History warns us none is.

1468. A young priest, Christopher Fairfax, arrives in a remote Exmoor village to conduct the funeral of his predecessor. The land around is strewn with ancient artefacts – coins, fragments of glass, human bones – which the old parson used to collect. Did his obsession with the past lead to his death?

As
Published September 5th 2019 by Cornerstone Digital (first published August 20th 2019)

·  9,902 ratings  ·  1,421 reviews

Start your review of The Second Sleep
Jeffrey Keeten
***It is impossible to discuss this book with any level of intelligence without revealing aspects that some of you will deem spoilers. Ye have been warned. Any childish rants on my thread and ye will be cursed for all eternity. Thy spawn will also be cursed until the end of days. (Which frankly isn’t that far in the future, so as curses go, it is not as dire as it sounds.)***

”We know that almost every person, including children, was issued with a device that enabled them to see and hear one ano
Tammy
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This almost succeeds. That is, almost, but not quite. As usual the writing is terrific as he captures a time and a place that seems historically familiar yet is not what it appears to be. Again, as usual, the characters are well drawn and the pace builds nicely gaining momentum as you read further. I wasn’t overly enthused about the ending which led me to think, “All of this for that?” If you are a fan of Harris’ I would recommend reading this since it’s so different from what he usually writes.
Diane S ☔
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 A versatile author who has tackled everything from Pompeii to the election of the pope in Conclave. In this one he presents the reader with another unique plot, one I will not discuss as it would be deemed as ruining the read for others. I will say it is done well, is a very interesting concept and presents a moral dilemma for a young priest. The characters are varied, and a few not what they seem.

The book was going along nicely, was thoroughly immersed in the story, wondering where it woul
Catherine
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Five stars for the concept and the first half of the book which was engrossing. Zero stars for the second half and the all-of-a-sudden half-baked ending.
Ozymandias
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This is a book where spoilers are absolutely unavoidable if you want to write any sort of review, so I’ll make the general observations upfront before getting into spoiler territory.

This book is a very different animal from most Harris books I’ve read. It’s very atmospheric and rather constrained, with most of the story being told in narration. While written in the third person, we never leave Christopher Fairfax’s head to see elements beyond his perception, and this absolutely works. The style
Gumble's Yard
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
More than thousand years had washed over England since those days a civilisation had fallen and another had been reborn, and life went on in Addicot St George as if nothing had happened.

The book starts with two important epigraphs.

The first from the historian Roger Ekirch’s now (I think) well known discovery/contention that biphasic sleep (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biphasi...) was the norm in the pre-Industrial Revolution West.

The second is from Thomas Hardy’s “Mayor of Castlebridge”
Leslie Ray
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Christopher Fairfax is a young clergyman dispatched to a remote English village to perform a funeral for Father Lacy, the former priest in this village. While there, Christopher finds that Father Lacy was interested in artifacts from a previous age; an age of iphones, legos, keys, etc. that have survived an apocalypse. In this time, man is reverted to a medieval type existence where delving too much into the past is considered heresy.
This speculative fiction into a future planet is quite prevale
Connor Hansford
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oh dear oh dear. Don't get me wrong, genre crossovers, properly executed, can work really well but, being a copy editor, I fail to see how a post apocalyptic future could precisely resemble medieval England without any point of reference. Not only that, the notion, repeated throughout, that our modern structures are insufficiently robust to survive 900 years into the future is nonsense. Plus, I thought the ending was rubbish, but I'm not going to spoil that for you.

Robert Harris is one of the au
Elizabeth Ireland
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
What a great twist at the end of Chapter 1. Rest of book, not so much.
Malia
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think I have read almost all of Robert Harris' books, so you can definitely call me a fan. He usually writes historical fiction that is as imaginative as it is educational, so this books, a sort of dystopian reverse history was quite a departure. I am not a fan of dystopian books at all, so was only moderately excited to hear about this one, nonetheless, I couldn't quite resists and had to see what it was about. It took me a good while longer than usual with his books to get into this story, i ...more
Bill Lynas
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Second Sleep is another fine story from Robert Harris. It opens in the year 1468, where we encounter a young priest travelling from Exeter (where I live!) to a remote Exmoor village.
In the first two chapters Harris creates some excellent characters & a wonderful atmosphere of time & place. Then I read the third chapter & found myself saying "What the fuck ?!"
It's great to see that one of my favourite authors still has the ability to surprise me. This is a novel that is best read without kno
Issicratea
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book to approach, ideally, without reading a single review or any advance publicity, if you want to get the full effect of the twist in the first chapter. Even if you don’t have that advantage (I didn’t), it’s an intriguing and thought-provoking read, although less weighty and compelling than Harris’s Dreyfus-themed An Officer and a Spy (2013)—now a film by Polanski—and perhaps also less elegant and finished than his Vatican-themed Conclave (2016).

By pure chance, I read The Second Sle
Mr. Ronald
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hardly worth the bother.

Poor characters. Clever plot that goes nowhere. Leaden prose that struggles to describing be motivations or time and place.
Don’t bother.

Desperate food for thought. This was my first experience with this author and I loved it.

“If the ancients were foolish enough to trade with airy tokens, 'tis no wonder they were ruined. It both made their vast trade possible and rendered them beggars when it failed. Consider waking up one morning entirely destitute, with skills no longer of value or any use in the struggle for life! Their world was based upon imagining—mere castles made of vapour. The wind blew; it vanished.”
Tripfiction
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels-set-in-uk
A 'medieval' mystery set in WESSEX

The Second Sleep is set in the Year of the Risen Lord 1468. A newly ordained priest is sent on a mission to Wessex to bury a village minister who has just died. The reader thinks that maybe Robert Harris has been careless when he talks about parakeets in the air and the dead minister has what appears to be an old iPhone in his room. But all soon becomes clear (not a spoiler because it is revealed very early…), We are not in 1468 as we would understand it. We are
Dolf Patijn
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You start reading this book and all of a sudden you think "hold on a minute, there's something wrong here". Then you continue on reading and you think "nah, big mistake". Then you continue on reading and think "ah, now I get it". It's that kind of a book.

What you can say after reading this book is that whatever the era, the acquisition of knowledge is always the means to an end, be it gaining and consolidating power and controlling people by what you know and they don't, making things better for
Kathy
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was sometimes amusing, sometimes alarming, and was probably fun to write. It introduces us to a time in the future, long past the apocalypse, where the surviving population is fearful and held to strictures about what it is possible to think about, know or do. The people have to at least be survivors, but there seems little evidence of joy in living.
The church holds power and one of its representatives is the main character we meet, a priest coming from afar to temporarily replace one
Kate
There's a reason why Robert Harris is a contender for my favourite author of all time and The Second Sleep reminds me why. I want to say as little as possible about this wonderful novel that challenges completely readers' expectations and assumptions. It is not what you think it is! I would urge you not to read any reviews of this book as you want to go in knowing as little as possible. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Jeanette
This was a full 4 star read until the last 70 to 75 pages. Who am I to question such an author's turn to complete this tale? But suffice it to record I would have given a more complete or satisfying to actions/reactions ending. Because the characters- at least 5 or 6 of them were fully carved here. And yet the summation of after was not at all.

Some will insist that the book cannot be reviewed without spoilers. I'm pretty sure it can.

One of the biggest themes throughout mankind's existence has be
Maine Colonial
Imagine if suddenly technology ended. No electronics or even electricity, no wired or wireless communications. Civilization would collapse quickly, and only those able to get out to the countryside and adapt to a primitive lifestyle would survive.

That’s what has has happened in The Second Sleep. The story begins in what appears to be a late medieval Wessex village, in 1468. Only it’s not our 1468. The Church, which is now all powerful, designated the year of the collapse as year 666, and we are
Eric Lee
Oct 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: thriller, time-travel
Robert Harris often has the very best ideas for his books, but sometimes the book itself is a real let-down. The Second Sleep is an example of this. First of all, his good idea -- the big reveal -- comes very early in the book. What seems at first to be a tale set in Medieval England turns out to be set 800 years in the future -- as we quickly learn when an Apple iPhone turns up unexpectedly. And that's basically it. Nothing else very interesting happens. The books builds up to the digging out o ...more
Peter White
Sep 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Second sleep Harris

Found the book very very disappointing not mr Harris I have enjoyed with his other books.
Poor plot , pathetic ending
Very expensive book and audio for what I got out of it.
Peter white
Julian Worker
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
A book set in 1468 in the Middle Ages of the future, an intriguing idea which takes some getting used to. I didn't realise the basic premise until the word Elizabethan was used and even then I thought the date in the front of the book might be wrong, but it's not of course.

This book is easy to read and well written, as you expect from Robert Harris.

This book does make me realise how much we rely on electricity to power our devices and machinery and how much information about our lives would be
Patricia
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, book-books
This novel has been compared to A Canticle for Leibowitz. The storyline is the same - present society and technology no longer exists. No one knows what really happened or why but a new feudal type of society exists. The church is now the governing body and looking into the past is heresy. So when a young priest, Christopher Fairfax is sent to an isolated village to bury the late Father Lacey, he discovers Lacey had been looking into the village's long buried secrets to the past. ...more
Leah
History through heresy...

It’s 1468, and young priest Christopher Fairfax is hurrying to reach the village of Addicott St George before curfew. He has been sent by his bishop to officiate at the funeral of the village’s priest, Father Lacy, who has died in a fall from the local landmark known as the Devil’s Chair. But once installed at the rectory, Christopher discovers that Father Lacy had been a collector of antiquities, some of them prohibited by the Church, and he soon has reason to wonder if
Philip
Well, that was rather disappointing. I loved Harris' Fatherland and An Officer and a Spy, and so was excited when I heard the premise for his newest book. But a premise is not the same as a plot, and for the most part, this book lacked the latter. The big reveal - teased if not outright given away in most reviews - occurs at the end of the first chapter, and from then on, it's just kind of...meh. Oh, and the ending is way too sudden and way too unsatisfying. So while it contains bits and pieces ...more
Veeral

A post-apocalypse pastoral. This is the sub-genre in which this novel falls into. Or more precisely, sub-sub-genre, as post-apocalypse is a sub-genre itself of science (speculative) fiction. So what is a post-apocalypse pastoral? Basically, a book set in a timeline so far ahead in the future after the apocalypse that the apocalypse itself is half forgotten and the people's lifestyle is more or less similar to what was in the Medieval era.

This novel is set in rural "Medieval era type" England ro
Angus McKeogh
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Unlike any of the other Harris books I’ve read in the past. Certainly a sort of historical fiction but chunks are set in the future. Says a lot about god and the apocalypse. Has more in common with mainstream fiction rather than hardcore historical fiction. Enjoyed it.
Adrienne
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jaksen
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
A sort of strange book and one a would-be reader shouldn't read too many reviews about before reading. That's because there's a twist or surprise fairly close to the beginning. (Instead of at the end!)

A priest, Father Fairfax, journeys across a pre-industrial landscape - rolling hills, fields full of sheep, quaint villages, muddy roads - on a mission to bring home another priest who has recently died. Sent by his bishop, Fairfax suspects that the dead priest was maybe/probably/supposedly involve
Ending - *Spoilers* 3 58 Aug 26, 2020 03:26AM

• Agent Running in the Field
  • The Mirror & the Light (Thomas Cromwell, #3)
  • Guilty Not Guilty
  • Under Occupation (Night Soldiers, #15)
  • The Siberian Dilemma (Arkady Renko #9)
  • The Accomplice
  • Haven't You Heard?: Gossip, power, and how politics really works
  • Fallen Angel
  • Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
  • For the Record
  • Nobber
  • Dead at First Sight (Roy Grace, #15)
  • The Last Protector
  • I Am Sovereign
  • The Last Day
  • House of War (Ben Hope #20)
  • Absolute Proof
  • Salvation Lost (Salvation Sequence #2)
ROBERT HARRIS is the author of nine best-selling novels: Fatherland, Enigma, Archangel, Pompeii, Imperium, The Ghost Writer, Conspirata, The Fear Index, and An Officer and a Spy. Several of his books have been adapted to film, most recently The Ghost Writer, directed by Roman Polanski. His work has been translated into thirty-seven languages. He lives in the village of Kintbury, England, with his ...more