Start by marking “Rune's Folly (Tower of Shells #1)” as Want to Read:
Rune's Folly (Tower of Shells #1)

Rune's Folly

(Tower of Shells #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  22 ratings  ·  15 reviews
For some the tower of shells was folly. For Tansy McCoy it was destiny.

By day, Tansy McCoy is a florist making charmed bouquets for the citizens of Junonia, capital of the Kingdom of Terranmar. By night, she’s an assassin and the keeper of the Dangerous Garden where deadly blooms grow. Together with the town tailor, butcher, baker, and metalsmith (just don’t call her a can
Published February 5th 2019 by Only Child Press

To ask other readers questions about Rune's Folly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rune's Folly

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Rune's Folly (Tower of Shells #1)
Beth
You ever pick up a book and think you know what is going to happen from the synopsis and then realize you were completely wrong but in a totally good way, a completely original way! Rune’s Folly smacks you with originality, amazing world building and still hold true to an epic fantasy tale!

Tansy is a magical florist and a member of the elite Guild ran by a corrupt and cruel King Zeno. He pretty much uses the magical Guild like his hitmen and enforcers and he’s the mob boss. He doesn’t care if th
Christine Molitor
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good read! I’m a fantasy lover and thoroughly enjoyed this book! If you want adventure and a book that’s hard to put down, this one is for you! Rune’s Folly has a fresh take on fantasy and a complex back story and leaves you wondering if a sequel is in the making? I would love it! 😊 For a fun, imaginative and well written story, read this!!!
Heidi [Reviews by Lemon]
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-s, read-2019
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars.

ARC is provided through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I got to admit I feel quite tricked by the blurb. From the sound of it, I was expecting high stakes, life-risking adventure, and an action filled story. Instead, I got a bunch of teens strolling around in the wilderness utterly disoriented and useless, and stakes that’s laughable at best. Insert random attacks by various creatures such as werewolves, undead, and vampires – who all fail to murder them – a
Nadine
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to tell you that I really liked it.

I was honestly more excited by the second half than the first because it is of course when things started happening and we got some good action going on. But then to be fair, it is the first book of the series and I think the author took a good amount of time to set things up for us.

However, as I went deeper into the book it got better and I really enjoyed the characters and the overall story. I am guessing there is a book 2 coming around the corner, and
Maranda
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adventure that had just the right amount of characters to speed the plot along. In-depth and fully developed. Rune is grieving for his lost love that took her own life. His folly is to line his tower with shells that hold magic to hopefully bring back his heart. Tansy McCoy is a Green witch with magic in the flowers she grows in her garden. Fantasy read with romance, friendship, and other worldly destinations. Surprises swamp the pages. "A copy of this book was provided by Only Child Press via N ...more
Tanya E
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a great fantasy read!

I loved the individual characters and didn't expect that some of these would come together to make a new guild towards the end of the story. What a pleasant surprise! I didn't understand how the central character, Rune, wasn't necessarily the central character of the story until about 80% of the way through.

So many parts of the story that I didn't expect to happen made for great twists and turns throughout. I am excited to pick up book 2 once it is available!

#RunesF
Luxe
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review as part of the blog tour hosted by Xpresso Book Tours.

Oh, wow! This book took me by surprise because I didn’t expect to love this one as much as I did. Frankly, I didn’t know I was in the mood for an adventure/fantasy until I picked this one up.

I was reading this nonstop, flipping page by page, that it all suddenly ended right under my nose. And I wasn’t ready for it to end. The history and background of the world is just so in
Heather
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, owned
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. This started out as quite the typical fantasy tale, reminding me of Trudi Canavan and Carol Berg. I was quite intrigued with the story and where it was going. There are some great fantasy tropes that I truly enjoyed seeing, and the characters were lots of fun.

The pacing was well done and the story didn't flag or lose my attention. I also enjoyed the action sequences and some of the beautiful imagery the writing conjured up in my mind.

Personally I w
Carrie
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The author did an amazing job with pulling her readers into her imaginative world (with multiple dimensions) with so many details and connections and effective character development. I was drawn in immediately—wanting to learn more about all the different characters and how various plot lines related to each other. The author was able to transition seamlessly between various characters’ perspectives and story lines and past and present to provide background. I just wanted to k ...more
Asha - A Cat, A Book, And A Cup Of Tea
Rune's Folly is an enjoyable light fantasy adventure. Despite some darker themes, the whole book feels quite light in tone - if you're looking for an intricate epic fantasy or a wealth of character development, this is not it, but if you just want a bit of escapism, it does just that. I would have liked more time spent on Tansy's floral magic as this was by far the most interesting aspect to me, but it's a pacey read and this might have slowed things down.

It has the feel of a homebrew RPG campa
Francesca
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a free copy in exchange of an honest review.*

I really liked this book! Loved the worldbuilding (although I would like to know more about the kingdoms surrounding Terranmar), there were lots of multifaceted great characters (a dwarven woman metalsmith!) and the plot was very compelling and it kept me on my toes for the entire reading!
Jiminie  Cricket
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, rtc-books
This book was a fairly good read in that you won't get invested in it too much but you won't leave feeling like you've wasted time. The summary of the book, as well as the story itself and the characters, were pretty average. Nothing really grabbed my attention or made me go "Woah!". It felt more like the book was there, I read it, the end. Good for if you're looking for something to pass the time and don't want to get attached to anything.
Samantha
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-books, unfinished
DNF at about 25%
The mysterious magic system was certainly interesting, as was the idea of fading magic and a greedy king trying to control whatever was left. On the other hand, the main character was childish and the dangers were too silly and underwhelming to get me interested in the story. I think it might be a bit below my age level, and perhaps would be more enjoyed by young children.
Kylie
With thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for my ARC.

Full of magic, magical creatures, adventure and of course, dark villains for the protagonists to overcome, I’m looking forward to reading further stories about Tansy and “The guild”.
Garen Glazier
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Rune's Folly was so much fun to write, and I hope it will be just as much fun to read. Enjoy!
Lara Bahr
Apr 16, 2019
Danielle Hammelef
Apr 18, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Would you please add my cover? 7 21 Feb 03, 2019 01:18PM

• The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1)
  • Kingdom of Exiles (The Beast Charmer, #1)
  • Belle Révolte
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Loki: Where Mischief Lies
  • A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor (The Carls, #2)
  • InterWorld (InterWorld, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)
  • The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)
  • The Poison Garden
  • Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon
  • The Fire Seekers (The Babel Trilogy, #1)
  • Ziggy, Stardust and Me
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • The Angriest Angel (The Angriest Angel #1)
  • Beyond the Longcase Clock (Chronicles of the Chiliad, #1)
I'm a lifelong resident of Seattle. I married my Russia-born-America-raised high school sweetheart, and we have a four year old and a new little one born in February.

I like coffee shops, bookstores, dancing in my living room and singing in my car. The opening scene of Up always makes me cry. The Three Amigos always makes me laugh. Fashion magazines, croissants, and long, long baths are my guilty p