Start by marking “Un invitado inesperado” as Want to Read:
Un invitado inesperado

Un invitado inesperado

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  22,329 ratings  ·  3,232 reviews
Los huéspedes que van llegando al encantador y remoto hotelito Mitchell's Inn se observan mutuamente con interés, pero desde una prudente distancia. Todos ellos han recalado allí en busca de un relajante (quizá hasta romántico) fin de semana en medio del bosque y lejos de sus vidas.

Pero cuando una violenta tormenta azota las montañas, el grupo se ve completamente aislado d
Published February 19th 2019 by Suma (first published July 26th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Un invitado inesperado, please sign up.
Nina agreed. that's often my issue with thrillers; i don't enjoy when the reveal is something that we could never have worked out despite paying close…moreagreed. that's often my issue with thrillers; i don't enjoy when the reveal is something that we could never have worked out despite paying close attention. it seems cheap to just have a backstory dropped on us in the last five pages between two characters that was the basis for everything. oh well!(less)

·  22,329 ratings  ·  3,232 reviews

Miriam Smith
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twitter
I loved Shari Lapena's previous books "The Couple Next Door" and "A Stranger In The House" and couldn't wait to start reading this, her latest thriller "An Unwanted Guest". It didn't disappoint and I have to admit that this one is actually my favourite of the three and in my opinion her best yet.
The intriguing plot echoes an Agatha Christie style murder mystery and is set during a freezing cold and violent ice storm that leaves the guests at an isolated hotel stranded without power. As the guest
Chelsea Humphrey
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dennis
Shelves: library
An Unwanted Guest gave me all the Agatha Christie feels! It's been so long since I've read a locked room (err... hotel) mystery, and while I had my doubts going in, I found this book clever and witty. The character development was pretty darn good for a book that rolled in at less than 300 pages; in fact, this is mostly a character driven thriller, using the tension between the cast to ratchet up the suspense for those brief moments of action. I'll definitely need to check out Lapena's backlist ...more
Debra
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quiet weekend in the country, far away from the stress of the outside world sounds like a dream getaway! Mitchell Inn is a warm and inviting Inn which is nestled deep in the forest. Snow is covering the ground adding to the Inn's beauty and charm. It's a place for lovers to enjoy time together, a place where an Author can work on her book, a man can enjoy some alone time, friends can re-connect, and for a couple in an unhappy marriage can take a look at their marriage in a beautiful setting.

B
Norma * Traveling Sister
4.5 Stars! A weekend getaway at a cozy mountain lodge I would say is my ideal getaway but if I’m snowed in with no power and a murderer amongst the midst with no way out…...I’d be totally scared right out of my wits!

AN UNWANTED GUEST by SHARI LAPENA is a fast-paced, tension-filled, compelling, suspenseful, and a chilling read that immediately grabbed my attention and kept me pretty much guessing right to the very end. Although, there are a few clues that I did pick up on, it did not spoil the a
Paromjit
Shari Lapena writes a crime fiction mystery in the style of the classic golden age of crime. In the beautiful snowy Catskill mountains and forests, beside the Hudson River, is the location of Mitchell's Inn. The snow has brought its problems as many of the staff at the Inn have been unable to get to work, leaving owner and chef, James Harwood, with only his son, Bradley, to help look after the guests who have managed to arrive. However, the weather deteriorates even further as the place is gripp ...more
Holly  B
Mitchell's Inn is a quiet resort, tucked away in the Catskill Mountains. Guests are checking in, but will they all check out?

The hotel is three stories with a grand staircase, reminiscent of Gone with the Wind.  A forest surrounds the hotel and it has a grand lawn which is all covered in pure white snow. This should be the perfect setting for a quiet, relaxing weekend, but it will not be .

The hotel isn't full. Six rooms will be occupied out of the twelve available. Some folks seem to have can
Kaceey
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss, buddy-read
Welcome to your weekend getaway...

A group of unsuspecting guests arrive to a snowy, mountain inn for a weekend away from everyone and everything. Each has their own personal reasons for being there. Re-kindle a faltering romance, repair a once close friendship. Maybe even a working weekend. Whatever the reason, it was going to be a pleasant getaway.
But by early the next morning, things take a drastic turn. A body has been found at the bottom of the staircase at the Inn. And that's only the begin
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4 stars!

Eerie. Suspenseful. Haunting. Mysterious. Captivating.

This was a gripping, addictive and highly atmospheric thriller that had me flying through the pages! The setting is a remote, old fashioned luxury hotel where guests arrive to spend a relaxing weekend in vintage lavishness. They arrive just as a brutal winter storm hits, cutting off electricity to the hotel along with any possible contact with the outside world. The plot unfolds as a whodunit murder mystery – is the killer among the
Melisa
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very entertaining whodunnit!

This murder mystery gave me all the CLUE vibes and I loved it so much! A large cast of characters trapped in a remote hotel during a snowstorm with no electricity or cell service? Yeah, sign me up.

This one has a large cast of characters - it definitely also reminded me of an Agatha Christie novel, some reviewers have compared it to And Then There Were None which I can totally se as well. I generally get lost when a bunch of characters are introduced all at once, bu
Michelle
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
Well that was underwhelming.

An odd ball cast of characters decide to spend the weekend at Mitchell's Inn. This decision they will all soon regret when the guests start dropping like flies. Reminiscent of Agatha Christie but not nearly as impressive we've got a whodunnit where every one becomes a suspect.

Something about Lapena's writing style just didn't work for me here. It's safe to say that it is ME and not the BOOK this time around. This should have been so up my ally but I just felt it lac
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Norma and I were lost in a Coulee reading An Unwanted Guest with seven of our Traveling Sisters and overall we all had very similar thoughts on this one. A few twists here with this story and one especially that left us with something to talk about and left us completely satisfied in the end.

Right from the start, Shari Lapena pulled us into this story with a very chilling setting here with a hotel snowed in. We all loved the feeling we got from the storm and the spooky feeling of being trapped
Susanne  Strong
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss, buddy-read
4 Stars.

A good old fashioned “Whodunit” Set in the Catskill Mountains, during a bitter cold, stormy weekend when the guests at an Inn get snowed in during a power outage. This is one mystery / suspense that is not to be missed!

Ten guests arrive for the weekend, and one by one, they drop like flies. Are the guests’ deaths an accident or are they being been murdered? The roads are closed because of the snow and since the Inn has no power, no one can call the police. Everyone is frightened and susp
Lola
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of And Then There Were None
Two years ago, I read Shari Lapena’s debut – The Couple Next Door – and although I thought it was somewhat thrilling, it didn’t make enough sense to me to consider it a realistic mystery novel.

I passed on her 2017 book – A Stranger in the House – just because it seemed like the sort of story that’s been written a hundred times in the past. But I couldn’t skip An Unwanted Guest too.

No, I couldn’t. Because if there’s one thing I love, it’s mystery combined with survival, and this one sure deliver
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
An instant classic! Lapena has completely stolen my focus—I loved this book!! There is something magical about this book that is hard to describe without having read it. An Unwanted Guest has a vintage feel, like watching a film noir mystery late on a cozy evening in. The kind of film where you’re so engrossed, you lose track of everything happening around you, only to jump at the clanging of the gate outdoors in a gust of wind.

I absolutely loved this book, and most of my Traveling Sisters agree
Diane S ☔
3.5 Atmospheric and entertaining. A diverse group of people arrive at a small in, just in time to find themselves snowed in, and with no electricity to boot. In short order, they find themselves in danger as the bodies begin to mount. But which one of them is the killer? Or is it someone hiding in one of the empty rooms.

Thematically similar to Christie's, And then there were none, it was interesting to try to figure out who was the killer. I had in mind one of three, and it turned out to be one
Dita
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine being at a gorgeous, secluded resort in the Catskills during a snowstorm with a handful of other people for a weekend getaway. Now imagine the power goes out and people start dying…

It would have been so easy for this to have been a confusing jumble of characters but Lapena did a masterful job of introducing them, developing them, and having us hear from them in a way that makes it easy for the reader to keep straight.

I really enjoyed this book; it was very clever, managed a few really go
Carol (Bookaria)
This was an excellent thriller, one of those where I enjoyed every minute of it.

The story takes place at Mitchell’s Inn in upstate New York. It’s the weekend and guests start arriving at the lodge for a short getaway. They are looking forward to spending a wonderful time in this charming and cozy inn.

What the guests don’t expect is a blizzard that leaves them with no power or outside communication, no way to leave the hotel, and with a murderer among them.

This novel was great, it had a classic f
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
I started reading An Unwanted Guest on 11/3/18 and finished it on 11/17/18 at 3:36am. This book is an excellent read! I love how the story slowly reveals each person having a secret they want to keep hidden but at the same time very much wanting to unravel their peers' secrets. I enjoy reading each character's personal thoughts a lot. Lauren likes to size up other guests and right away decide who she likes and dislikes. Candace pays close attention to people's demeanor and Beverly notices body l ...more
megs_bookrack
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lapena redeemed!!

An Unwanted Guest is the second book I have read from Shari Lapena. To say I was less than enthusiastic about, The Couple Next Door, would be to put it kindly.

I was left scratching my head after it. I have some really great book friends who love her work, so I said I would give her another shot. After this, I am glad I did.

I knew going in that this book would be more in my comfort zone, being a 'locked room' mystery; one of my favorite tropes. A cast of characters shut in a co
Beverly
A tidy little mystery with a satisfying conclusion, An Unwanted Guest takes place in a remote hotel cut off from civilization by an ice storm. When the electricity goes out, the murderer seized the opportunity to tidy up some loose ends by getting rid of unnecessary friends.

I enjoyed this and read it in one night, but tend to like psychological style mysteries which speak of the human condition. Even Agatha Christie is deeper than this author. Her writing style is simplistic, without being smart
Linda
Winter is coming.......

Shari Lapena wraps An Unwanted Guest in icy, treacherous roads, power outages, howling winds, snapped off tree branches, and oh by the way.....MURDER.

The stage is set for couples seeking the perfect getaway weekend from the trials of daily life in upstate New York surrounded by the Catskills and Mother Nature on sporatic hormones. It's the getting there that should have alerted our characters that this is going to be the most challenging weekend of their lives. Traveling o
Louise Wilson
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the guests arrive at the beautiful, remote Mitchell's Inn, they're looming forward to a relaxing weekend in the forest miles from anywhere.

Its a mixed bunch of people who have booked into Mitchell's Inn for the weekend. It's miles from anywhere and set deep into the woods. There are ten guests plus the owner, James, and his son, Bradley. The guests arrive during a snow storm and it's not long before they are snowed in. The guests enjoy their first evening, but by the morning, one of them is
Joey R.
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.0 stars — I admit I was fairly critical of Shari Lapena’s first two books, but the writing ability and fast paced writing style of the author caused me to read her latest book “An Unwanted Guest” in just 6 days. This book was by far my favorite of the three and was just a rushed ending away from a 5 star rating. Once again the writing ability of Lapena is superb as she quickly draws you into a story involving numerous major characters who are all trapped in an isolated hotel during a major ice ...more
Pauline
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena reminded me of an Agatha Christie thriller.
A group of guests in a remote hotel stranded in a snowstorm. No phones, Internet or electricity and no way of getting help. The guests are being murdered one by one. Is it one of them or an intruder hiding in the hotel?
I read this book in a day and it kept me guessing until the end. I would like to thank NetGalley and Random House UK, Transworld Publishers for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Carrie
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
While the story within the pages of An Unwanted Guest isn't exactly a new one it is an addictive read. I've seen this plot several times over the years with strangers coming together and the murders begin but it never really gets old.

Mitchell's Inn is located deep within the woods in the Catskills making a wonderful getaway destination. This particular weekend several guests are scheduled to arrive just as a snow storm is taking place.

After everyone is settled in they find themselves truly cut
Nazanin
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 Stars

Gwen & Riley are friends and went to the Mitchelle’s Inn so Riley can relax a little and take her mind off things!
David is a criminal attorney and he went there to recharge!
Lauren & Ian are friends and they went there to have a good time with each other at this remote hotel!
Dana & Matthew are engaged and they went there to have fun and plan their marriage!
Henry & Beverly are married, they have marital problems and they went there to save their marriage!
Candice is a writ
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
My first read of the year. And it was not good.

Shari Lapena is not for me. After I read, The Couple Next Door, which I immensely disliked, I didn't think I would ever read another book from this author. I was wrong. I gave An Unwanted Guest, another chance because the premise sounded promising, and believable....

too good to be true....

boooooyyyyyy....

The writing was what threw me off. It was.....really bland. And made the whole experience really slow and plodding...uninteresting. The characters
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Despite The Couple Next Door only being an average read for me, I immediately clicked the request (which is still pending so go ahead and decline that one, NetGalley) button for Lapena’s new novel. Thanks to friends’ mediocre ratings I lowered my expectations accordingly. But I didn’t realize that An Unwanted Guest was pretty much going to be . . . . .

I am a SUCKER for retellings of And Then There Were None. Up to and including an a
Brandice
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Unwanted Guest is a murder mystery story that takes place at an upstate NY inn, during a cold winter weekend. An ice storm hits, causing the inn to lose power and forcing the guests to stay on property. Then, danger ensues.

I don’t read lots of thrillers or mysteries as I find myself particularly selective with this genre (though I’ve read more this year than ever before), but the premise of this story appealed to me. I had no problem visualizing the setting and felt Lapena’s descriptions wer
Lucie
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Setting: A remote hotel lodge in woodsy upstate New York, snowed and iced in, power outages, fireplaces for light and warmth. (This is an extremely atmospheric book, and very enjoyable to read during the wintertime while snuggled up with a cozy blanket!😊)

However... in this one, the reader is given a dozen or so characters, very little information, dark hallways, dark stairs, dead body, dead body, dead body.... and THEN, in the last three pages, the reader is given the whole story, LOTS of backgr
Fiction Fanatics: January 2019 - An Unwanted Guest 1 9 Jan 02, 2019 04:35AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 3 30 Aug 14, 2018 06:57AM

• Believe Me
  • Salt Lane (DS Alexandra Cupidi #1)
  • A Noise Downstairs
  • Jar of Hearts
  • Under a Dark Sky
  • Under My Skin
  • Come Find Me
  • The Suspect (Kate Waters, #3)
  • Before She Knew Him
  • The House Swap
  • They All Fall Down
  • Leave No Trace
  • Three Days Missing
  • Dodging and Burning
“darkness was so absolute that it was disorienting. It was like floating in space, with nothing to mark where you” 1 likes
“Gwen has never been so frightened in her life. There's some comfort in knowing that the others are out here with her, even if she can't see them. It's like she's alone in a dark void. She can't bear to think about David, what the gunshots might mean. Is someone else dead? She wonders if soon there will be no one left at all. She wants to live, but she hopes that if she has to die, she isn't the last one. She doesn't think she could bear it. She is defenseless. She thinks of the small, sharp letter opener that had been lying on the writing desk in their room. She wishes she had it with her now.” 1 likes