Start by marking “The Edge of the World” as Want to Read:
The Edge of the World

The Edge of the World

Shay Maloney is living his dream—on tour with his pirate/folk-rock band. But you can’t know where you’re going until you know where you’re from, and that’s where moody filmmaker and researcher Ollie Pietruska comes in.

The band’s management persuades Shay to let a television company film a documentary about his roots beyond his adoptive Irish family, and Ollie comes into hi
Published January 16th 2020 by Fox Love Press (first published July 16th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of the World, please sign up.

Start your review of The Edge of the World
Sheri
Anticipation. Yeah, I've had it for months. I've been longing for this story since the blurb caught my eye nearly a year ago. Building and building and when this beauty pinged my inbox last week I was so excited I thought I might burst. But then I was struck with cold feet. What if I didn't like it? What if it missed the high notes? What if I couldn't connect? I was a ball of nerves. I know, I know, it makes no sense. But sometimes, senseless things happen, right? *happy sigh* Of course, I had n ...more
Bev
When I saw the blurb I wasn't too sure about this one, folk music is not my jam and genealogy isn't really either so I'm thrilled to say I loved this book. The author nailed the subjects - they were fascinating and added to the story rather than taking away from it.

Shay and Ollie were magic together right from the very beginning, though this was slow burn .... done to perfection. I love how the author peeled back their layers to show the men they really were, though with Shay what you saw was w
Snjez
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a lovely story.

At first I wasn't sure if I'd like it since I'm not that into folk music and spending weeks on a tour bus feels like a nightmare to me, but it totally worked here. I also really enjoyed the part where we learned about Shay's roots. I've always found genealogy fascinating.

Shay and Ollie were both very likeable characters. I absolutely loved the slow pace of their relationship. It was so sweet and heartwarming and felt very natural. Although both Shay and Ollie had is
Cadiva
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Garrett Leigh understands the human psyche and I'm so glad she went ahead and published this book independently after the whole Dreamspinner debacle (Google it, it's too complicated to summarise here).

In The Edge of the World we get two protagonists who each have complications in their lives which mean it's not an every day boy meets boy, boy falls for boy, boys stroll off into the sunset together narrative (although don't worry, there's definitely a HEA but this is set mostly in England, it rai
Fabi
Garrett Leigh books are an auto-buy for me. However, that doesn't mean I am going to love each and every story. Some of them I'm only going to like.

I liked this one. But the only thing that took it from an okay story to one I liked was GL's signature characters. You know, the ones that feel like neighbors and friends and maybe even that second cousin.

Shay and Ollie (I love those names!) weren't hard to relate to, but their connection was a little harder to put a finger on. It's a slow burn, but
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: male-action
4.5 Stars!

Classic Garrett Leigh.
Karen
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up...full review to follow...

I don’t think a book blurb has ever hooked me quite as much as this one did....

Specifically the second sentence in the blurb which reads…”But you can’t know where you’re going to until you know where you’re from,…” you see when I was a very young girl in grade 8 I had this amazing history teacher and when one of her students expressed that they didn’t see why we had to study history she turned to him and said “how can you know where you’re going
Norelle
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
First book of 2020 :D

At this point, everyone who knows me, knows about how much i love GL books. There is maybe only 2 books of hers that i did not enjoy that much. But this one is not one of them.

I love that Garrett tries to always give characters different backgrounds and professions. I mean - i would be extremely bored if all her books would be about i don't know... army dude and coffee shop owner. Or something like that. I love that she always thinks about something different, gives her char
Rachel
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Garrett Leigh books are never going to be full of sunshine and roses, her characters are real, their lives are never pretty and their issues are ongoing but damn their HEA is well earned and you feel like it's completely real. Ollie and Shay were wonderful, their love story totally believable, I'd love to see where they are in 5 years time (hint hint Garrett). ...more
Skirmish
May 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtq
Book Reaction: https://neverhollowed.com/2020/05/29/...
Rating: 2 Stars – it’s a struggle to finish the damn book

Thank you to Signal Boost Promotions and Audible UK for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Joyfully Jay
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

I seriously love getting a new book from Garrett Leigh. Her characters and dialogue are always excellent and the atmosphere is smooth and comforting, even though her characters are always struggling in some way. It is a balance that sounds impossible to achieve.

Shay is the front man for his band and his talents include singing and songwriting and playing a wide variety of instruments. He’s a musician to his core and his vibe sets the tone for his indie band. But
Caz
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this a B- for narration and a B for content at AudioGals.

I’ve enjoyed the handful of books I’ve read and listened to by Garrett Leigh, who one of those authors I keep promising myself I’m going to read/listen to more of. Her latest novel, The Edge of the World, is a beautifully written slow-burn romance between two flawed but likeable characters who are drawn together when one of them embarks upon a journey into his past while the other is trying desperately to forget something of his
Annika
Audiobook review

Would you like to go on tour with a pirate/folk-rock band? Look no further The Edge of the World is waiting for you. This book is a great mix of touring with Smuggler’s Beat, and exploring and discovering your roots, with an added flavour of a friends to lovers story. So join the tour with Shay and Ollie, it will change their lives in more ways they could ever imagine.

There’s one thing I know with certainty when I pick up a book by Garrett Leigh, I know that I will get flawed c
Sheryl Beesley
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
my first Garrett Leigh book... and not my last....

what a great slow burn..... my Kindle app almost caught on fire with the looks Shay and Ollie gave each other...
and I was caught up in the genealogy of Shay's background... it would be fun to learn about your family's past and the interesting family members that came before you...
Gillian
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up

While I don't think this is Garrett Leigh's best work, I did mostly enjoy this story. My main complaint is that the relationship between the two MC's didn't wow or overwhelm me with feels, something that this author has been particularly good at in previous books, and I really missed feeling that emotional connection between them. I liked them well-enough individually, I just wasn't certain their relationship was all that strong.

Having said that, I did like the premise. I pa
Charlotte
I loved this novel. This is the first M/M romance I've read in a long time that I was compelled to give my highest rating. Not only is this book well-written and absolutely absorbing! It's got a fantastic cover! The premise for this book is really original... certainly nothing that I've ever read before. Shay is on tour in Ireland with his band, Smuggler's Beat, when Ollie arrives to film a documentary about Shay's family history.

The basis for the documentary is that Shay is adopted and doesn't
Kirstin
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shay has lead an interesting, sometimes exciting life. Especially now that he's touring with his folk band and seeing England, but it's easy to get lost when you're not even sure where you started. During the tour, Ollie is hired on to excavate Shay's past and shed some light on where he came from. No one thought that Ollie would have a past he's trying to figure out as well.

I really did love so many things about this book. As in any Garrett Leigh story, there is a certain moment from the start
Xan West
Content Warnings (view spoiler)

DNF at 59% because I can't take the self loathing anymore. It just feels like it's going to keep getting worse, and will becom
Isak+Even
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
It pains me to rate this book as a 3 star because I usually love Garrett Leigh's books. She's an autobuy for me.
I was really looking forward to this book and while it was written in Garrett's distinctive style, it lacked something. I can't pinpoint exactly what, but it did, and unfortunately it didn't work for me as much as I hoped.
It's not a bad book, not at all, but it just didn't give me the Garrett Leigh high I'm used to after finishing one of her books.
Victoria Loves Books
Full of emotion

What’s not to love about this book? This is a beautifully written slow burn romance with tons of emotion. I loved the flawed characters... Characters that touch you in some way or another. I really connected to the story, which is not your typical rock star romance and was so captivated by Shay and Olli's story, that I read in one sitting.
Kim
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this author’s work. This is a mm contemporary story set in the UK. Musician Shay and film maker Ollie are both broken souls. They find each other and the road to love is rough. Excellent writing and story telling. This author is an auto buy for me.
Alex
Feb 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, music
2/3
Not for me. I found the story sometimes slow and in some part a little boring...didn’t feel the connection between the MC.
Karen
Here I go again to...'The Edge of the World'...

I knew when I read this book back in January of this year that if there was an audio release, I'd be revisiting Shay and Ollie as they tour around the United Kingdom. That I would be doing it at a time such as this...well, who knew certainly not I.

'The Edge of the World' is a story that truly highlights the connection between past, present and future as we follow Shay and Ollie. As Shay's band tours the country showcasing their talents. Ollie j
UltraMeital
I'm not really sure how to summarize my thoughts about this book. I liked it, enjoyed both our MCs and yet I didn't LOVE it. There was something a bit too melancholy about it. These two were in a constant struggle, firstly with themselves and their bodies and secondly with gifting themselves the possibility of a friendship that might lead to so much more.

Shay Maloney is the singer in a pirate/folk-rock band "Smuggler’s Beat’s". When his manager offers him to be a part of a documentary about his
Annie
I’ve so looked forward to the release of The Edge of the World for some time. Judging by the blurb, I should have inhaled it and based on how long I had anticipated reading it, I expected to do just that, but it took me a long time to fully connect with the story. In the end, I really enjoyed the story of Shay and Ollie and thought it was very unique. I’d definitely say that the latter half was my favorite part, but the slow burn of their romance was lovely as a whole.

No surprise as this is one
Ruthie Taylor
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This was a very enjoyable book to read - the characters, from the leads to the rest of the band are all interesting, engaging and though flawed, all decent human beings. It was refreshing not to have extreme drama in a band, but rather a real camaraderie and feeling that they all cared for each other and their wellbeing. That said, there is a good mix of dark and light and without doubt the chemistry between Shay and Ol
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for WIcked Reads.

This is the story of a journalist who falls hard for the lead singer of the band he joins on tour. As always with a Garrett Leigh book, the characters are complicated and messy and the attraction that flares between Shay and Ollie isn’t easy. I loved the music and I love the way Ollie brings Shay’s past to life. It’s a beautiful story that I thoroughly enjoyed.

This is definitely a book that needs a soundtrack and readers who w
Leelah🍁♋️ Orion
4.5

I.... yeah.... I so enjoyed this book. Stayed up too late enjoying this book. It captured me from the beginning to the end enjoyed this book. The story of these two men. The way they found each other, how they were just drawn to each other was everything. The back story of both was touching, but the build up to their love took you on a freeing journey. It was so cool watching them get there.

The writing was on point, the side characters were perfect and smexy was yummy. My only complaint was
Athira
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, fantastic
This book was beautiful. Almost swoon worthy. I fell so connected yo Shay and Ollie. It's a delicious slowburn with dual POV.

It's not your typical rockstar romance. I loved how Shay's family history was revealed through Ollie's genealogy research. Ollie and Shay work together so well. I love the progress of their relationship. You can see them falling in love.

I was really excited to read this when I first saw the blurb and that fantastic cover. I'm glad it worked out in the end with all the shi
Shirley
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I loved every second of this book. GL has such a knack of making you fall in love with her characters.
I loved the musical element and the small confines of the tour bus as it added to the chemistry between Shay and Ollie. The slow burn was done brilliantly and I enjoyed the slow reveal of Shay’s family history through Ollie’s documentary. I loved that Ollie grew confident enough to show Shay who he truly was underneath his façade.
Shay and Ollie were beautiful together another fanta
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Charlie Sunshine (Close Proximity, #2)
  • Throwing Hearts
  • The Lost Boy (The Impossible Boy #2)
  • After Felix (Close Proximity, #3)
  • Merry Measure
  • The Making of Jonty Bloom (Unfinished Business, #1)
  • Pretty Perfect (Boys in Makeup, #1)
  • Spring Strings
  • Powder & Pavlova (Southern Lights, #1)
  • Off Balance (Painted Bay, #1)
  • Pieces of Us (Missing Pieces, #3)
  • Pieces of Me (Missing Pieces, #2)
  • The Dichotomy of Angels
  • The Parable of the Mustard Seed
  • Pop Star (Famous #1)
  • Pieces of You (Missing Pieces, #1)
  • A Long Way Back (Unfinished Business #2)
  • The Stopping Place
She/Her

Bonus Material available for all books on Garrett's Patreon account. Includes short stories from Misfits, Slide, Strays, What Remains, Dream, and much more. Sign up here: https://www.patreon.com/garrettleigh

Facebook Fan Group, Garrett's Den... https://www.facebook.com/groups/garre...

Garrett Leigh is an award-winning British writer, cover artist, and book designer. Her debut novel, Slide, wo

News & Interviews