Start by marking “Halloween Fiend” as Want to Read:
Halloween Fiend

Halloween Fiend

Strang isn’t the small, quaint town it appears to be. It’s haunted every night by a creature the townsfolk refer to as Halloween. Once the sun sets each day, Halloween emerges to collect its treats: a small, live offering from each household. The residents comply because no one wants to be the target of Halloween’s tricks. But the nightmare of residing in Strang is nothing ...more
Published February 16th 2019 by Grindhouse Press

Start your review of Halloween Fiend
Tyler J [They/He] (Wickedjr Reads)
3.5. Well, now i'm in the Halloween spirit if I wasn't already.
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Review coming for Scream in September/October 2019 but just know: you need this book for your Fall TBR stack. It’s perfect
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
This horror novella would be a good story to read on Halloween Eve. The narrative was quite slow paced, building to a good climax with a creepy monster. Trigger warnings for anyone who is sensitive to harm to animals.
Kimberly
HALLOWEEN FIEND, by C.V. Hunt was the perfect book to start October off with. Although only novella length, this one really packed a punch. In the town of Strang, the residents had a secret that they somehow managed to hide from outsiders. They had to--or the repercussions to the others and themselves would be swift and dire.

. . . Only a sadist would intentionally inflict the dreadful things we lived through every day onto innocent people."

A . . . creature . . . they call "Halloween" comes to their homes/>
Shaina
Latasha
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty quick read to get you in the Halloween spirit. The story is good but the ending is great.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
I went into this book blind. If I did read the synopsis at some point, I remembered nothing of it as I started reading the book. What swiftly became apparent, though, was that if I was looking to recommend something like Norman Partridge’s Dark Harvest, but less purple and more entertaining, this would be the book I’d tell someone about.

At just over 100 pages Halloween Fiend demands the reader’s attention. It starts off in a way that lets you know that something is seriously screwed
WendyB
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kindle
Fun story to read to kick off the Halloween season. It kept its focus and didn't blather on with too much backstory and nonsense. Creepy and fun with a nice twist at the end.
Danger
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good characters and a steady narrative propel this fun little monster spooker forward. There's just a dash of Lovecraft in this. Mostly, we're dealing with some unknowable small town terror, as they are trapped by Halloween, and the extremes they must go to to appease the beast. It's an quick read, and I liked it quite a bit.
Kevin Berg
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you love Halloween so much, enough to share it with the world in February, it’s gotta be a special story. There was a definite Lottery feel to the whole thing as others have stated, in fact I reread the short story from Jackson to compare, but I appreciate that Hunt went beyond the creepy and ambiguous to deliver a more thorough, scary read. Sure, ancient traditions still choke the life from an old town, but it was clever how the idea was expanded and altered just enough to make it her own. ...more
Bill
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Right in the middle of a California summer heat wave, I decide to read a Halloween book. What a weirdo.

Halloween roams the streets of Strang in the dark of night. Don’t look at it. Don’t let it see you. And whatever you do DO NOT forget to leave Halloween it’s nightly treat. Especially around its favorite holiday.

Barry Johnson may be stuck in a Kafkaesque looping nightmare of a life. He may also be the only one in Strang that can save town from the torment of Halloween.
LauraPora
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
A fun and spooky read to pick up if you want to get into the spirit of Halloween. Great tension building and a lot of dark humor! I read this while I was alone in the house and I could imagine Halloween coming up to my door...yikes!

The end felt a bit disconnected and I would have liked more explanation for character motivations. Left me with a few unanswered questions, but on the whole I loved this personification of Halloween!
Melanie
"Then woooo went the wind.
And out went the lights.
Then one of the little pumpkins
disappeared from sight."

Super fun start to the Halloween season with this novella from (Yay!) female horror author C.V. Hunt. This had all the usual Halloween tropes - small town mystery, socially dysfunctional MC, creepy Halloween monster, even a buxom waitress. A great way to begin the October fright fest.

Perhaps less use of the word 'asinine' though, give your editor's butt a good kicking C.V.
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Halloween is my favorite time of the year. Not just because I love spooky things, but I just love the crisp fall weather, the sense of shift in the air, the leaves, the dramatic sunsets. There is something magical and transitory about this season that just isn’t replicated anywhere else.

In this new novella, Hunt makes Halloween come to life for the slowly dying town of Strang. (That’s right, “strange” without the “e.”) Halloween is a monster who visits everyone’s house each night and
Emily
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Creatures from hell roam on this night, for tonight is the night of fright."

2.5⭐

Halloween Fiend is the latest release from CV Hunt, and I've been looking forward to reading this one once it got closer to Halloween. I liked this idea of this book, but I had a tough time connecting with the story and characters.

This is a very slow build, especially for a novella, and I just didn't have much interest by the time things finally started happening. I've read a couple other CV
Evelyn Medina
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a surprisingly fun read!

The author does such a great job of taking something as simple as the concept of Halloween, and makes it dark and ominous and pretty damn scary! It’s a super short and fast read (103 pages) but the author was really good at building up the suspense and mystery of this creature that is Halloween and creeps readers the f*ck out! It’s a twisted take on the holiday taking place in a small town and by the end of the story, you start to realize that Halloween wasn’t t
Carol
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I have to say, this was predictable but, so much fun!!! This is one that I’ll possibly revisit in the future to get into the Halloween/creepy spirit!
M.E.
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun Halloween read

This was, for the most part, an engaging, fun, spooky story. It was a great way to start out October.
Alex findingmontauk1
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, lohf
4 stars! A good read for the Halloween season :) Full review to come!
Kay Oliver
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trick or Treat

What if Halloween were a living entity? In the small town of Strang, trick-or-treat has a much darker meaning. This short novel was marvelous, very atmospheric and the characters tug you right into their little world. I definitely recommend this, especially as a Halloween Read!
Leke Giwa
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fiendishly grips like a tourniquet
Alex (Hey Little Thrifter)
In the small town of Strang, there is an entity that requires each resident offer it a sacrifice every night. This culminates each year on All Hallows' Eve when a human sacrifice must be made.

This was a quick and fun read that kept me engaged throughout, and I enjoyed the ending, but unfortunately it didn't really wow me at any point, so I liked it but I didn't love it.

This was my second time reading C.V. Hunt, the first being Cockblock which was excellent, and I'm keen to read more
Yolanda Sfetsos
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, horror
I've had this book on my Paperwhite for months, but I put it aside on purpose so I could read it this Halloween. And I love that cover. 🎃

Well, Halloween is here!

The town of Strang is mostly abandoned but still has a small population. Every October, Halloween stalks the streets nightly and to keep it happy, the townsfolk leave small animals as treats.

For Barry, this year's a little different, he's much too curious not to stare out the window. And then the carni
Russell Holbrook
I've read a few books whose titles led me to believe that they would be "Halloween Horror" stories but, once into the books, it turned out that they didn't have that much to do with my most favorite and dearest held of all holidays. This, however, is not one of those books. Halloween Fiend is definitely firmly rooted in the dark spooky wonder, splendor, grime, ghastliness, and eerie sadness of this captivating time of year. A lot happens in this little book, a lot that I found to be disturbing, ...more
Coral
3.5/5 stars

I wish there was more explanation! The idea is so eerie.
chan

2.75/5 stars
Content includes the depiction of animal sacrifice

Theadora
Jun 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was so ready for this book, but golly this had sooo many issues. If nothing else, the writing is terrible. Full of errors and run on sentences and things that just don't make sense.
I didn't find it atmospheric at all and the ending and how a lot of the townsfolk reacted was confusing and forced.
Christopher Lesko
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Something good to read.

Great story. Cool characters. Never got lame. What else can I say? Love the cover. Even bigger fan of CV Hunt now.
Kevin Jones
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Delightfully Creepy Story That Would Make Shirley Jackson Proud

This new novella may be a bit out of place for a February release but was nonetheless a fun, engaging read. With a definite nod to Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery," Ms. Hunt deftly layers on additional layers of creep and menace that work well with a narrator struggling with feelings of guilt and fear. The story also does a nice job leaving certain key plot elements unresolved in a satisfying way right up until the end. Plus, ku
Amy Vaughn
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice take on a trope. Where it really shined for me was in capturing the voice of Halloween, which is a tricky juxtaposition, being both evil and a holiday. There was just enough pathos to relieve the dreariness of a town under the thumb of the ultimate boogeyman. The final scenes are a treat for any lover of Halloween.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Hug Chickenpenny: The Panegyric of an Anomalous Child
  • Will Haunt You
  • Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked
  • Kill River
C.V. Hunt lives in Dayton, Ohio. She is the owner of Grindhouse Press and writes unpopular fiction in her spare time. Find out more at her website: www.authorcvhunt.com
“No, no,” Addisyn said. “It’s jus’ a lot to take in.” 0 likes