Start by marking “Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass” as Want to Read:
Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass

Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  9,364 ratings  ·  1,491 reviews
The highly anticipated spoken word poetry collection from Lana Del Rey, Violet Bent Backwards over the Grass

“'Violet Bent Backwards over the Grass' is the title poem of the book and the first poem I wrote of many. Some of which came to me in their entirety, which I dictated and then typed out, and some that I worked laboriously picking apart each word to make the perfect p
Audible Audio
Published July 28th 2020 by Simon & Schuster Audio

·  9,364 ratings  ·  1,491 reviews

Start your review of Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass
farith
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
full review to come.

she’s coming to end shakespeare’s career and feed the gays.
Kaya
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Okay so i know i’m not supposed to be biased during a review but screw it... it’s our goddess we’re talking about here. I've been in love with the Queen of Coney Island for years so this gets a solid 5/5.
First of all, I just wanna say I'm happy as heck and so proud of her; in the legendary monologue of Ride, she says "I was a singer. Not a very popular one. I once had dreams of becoming a beautiful poet, but upon an unfortunate series of events saw those dreams dashed and divided like a million
Lucas
This was incredible. I may be a bit biased because Lana Del Rey is one of my favorite artists and I’ve loved her work for a really long time. But as a lover of poetry as well, I can confidently say this is truly an outstanding collection. Lana’s songwriting has always been my favorite aspect of her music, and she really takes her talent with words to new heights with this book. She writes on topics such as happiness, love, solitude, trust, control and even writing itself, in both familiar and or ...more
Whitney Atkinson
i heard a rumor that this book was originally only supposed to be published in local bookshops in los angeles/california, and after reading it, that makes sense. there's so many references to a part of the country i'm not familiar with, and though i could identify with her emotions and there were also pictures for each poem, it could be hard to place myself in the poem because the landscape was so foreign.

but this reads like a monologue she would insert into a song (like "ride") with very class
G.
Aug 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Oh, the self-indulgent fragility... Bless her heart. Anyway, poetry is subjective, I suppose. Let's leave it at that. ...more
Maxwell
Oct 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, poetry
Lana Del Rey knows how to write a song. Her lyrics flow seamlessly along the waves of her melodies and transmit the listener to a particular place and time. For Del Rey, that's often a glamorized yet criticized American Dream, whether it's the grimy streets of New York or the palm-treed beaches of Los Angeles.

In her first collection of poetry, Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass, then, you'd be right to expect the same feelings as she conveys in her songs: of wanderlust, discontent and transien
Nenia ✨️ I yeet my books back and forth ✨️ Campbell
Lana Del Rey is the brooding hipster's Taylor Swift. ...more
Tears Of Venus
Jul 29, 2020 marked it as to-read

i don't have words. i just don't.

this woman is everything and i don't think anything i'll say can begin to express how i feel about her so i'm not even gonna try

i'll just

Elyse  Walters
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook.... read by the author Lana Del Ray
39 minutes long

These poems ... are absolutely extraordinary....
The experience was soooo beautiful.
I listened to it ... with my eyes close—lying on the bench in our sauna — meditative-reflective—and peaceful

Between the piercing words -performed in almost a gentle rap-musical-lyrical type context ....
I was in a complete transfixed ‘awe’ space.

NOT TO MISS....
sooooo beautiful.... very special....
DO NOT listen to this while running on a treadmill —or an
Emily B
Oct 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I had no real knowledge of Lana del Rey before listening to this and I found it pretty hit and miss
Shreya
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have always been a fan of lana del rey’s unique choice of words. This piece of writing is a true example of how talented and superbly hardworking she is. I am proud to say I am one of her biggest fans and I truly am impressed by this book.
Maribeaux
Sep 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
Real poets don't have to try so hard to persuade their readers on every poem that they are real poets.

(Let's not forget she promised to sell the collection for no more than $1 "because my thoughts are priceless" (rolling my motherfucking eyes) and then she backed-out from the idea.)

I don't know how other people are not seeing the pretentiousness in this.

Update: Apparently (some of) the money was donated to the Navajo Water Project, which is great! I still believe the "book" is trash however an
Vanessa
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Edit: after the audiobook, I've now read the kindle version and I'm going to rate the "new" poems on it:

In The Hills of Benedict Canyon: ☆☆☆
Sugarfish: ☆☆☆
ringtone: ☆☆
In the flats of Melrose: ☆☆☆½
Thanks to the Locals: ☆☆☆☆

The inclusion of some haikus was very cute, I appreciated them! The drawings were gorgeous and the addition of vintage pictures was a beautiful touch, something I would expect from Lana!

-----

This is, definitely, a dream coming true. I decided to listen to the audiobook, so I'm g
Attack Salmon
I love love Lana Del Rey

But if I am expecting her poetry book to be anything like her lyrics then I am dead wrong. Half the time I don't even understand what her poetry is about or it can be called poetry lol because there is like whole conversation on it. Some of it manage to evoke some feelings in me and some is like bleh what is this even.

The beginning poem I feel like she is talking about her making love to L.A. WHAT?? And this title is very weird. Everytime I see it I have the perverted im
Michelle Curie
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I'm very familiar with Lana Del Rey as an artist, yet I don't really listen to her music and can't say I care much about her as a public figure, either. Picking this up was mainly triggered by sheer curiosity and putting this down was dominated by feelings of utter surprise: this is good.

For those unfamiliar with what Lana Del Rey is doing out there, she's mainly known for her music and with her songs all reminiscent of a 50s America-nostalgia (sometimes more sometimes less successfully) combine
che
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
in written form, i probably wouldn't have appreciated this as much as i did. but the audiobook was vivid and atmospheric (thank you, jack antanoff!), which highlighted how passionate and deeply personal the poetry is. i love lana's singing voice, but her speaking voice is art as well.

favorite pieces were sportcruiser, the land of 1000 fires, paradise is very fragile and the title poem.
Jessica
First I just have to preface this review by saying that I am a huge fan of Lana Del Rey. She is one of my all time favorite singers and I’ve been in love with her music for years. I’ve always resonated well with her songs so that made me super eager to read her poetry.

This poetry collection is very atmospheric. Reading the poems is like being transported to a sunny and dreamy day in LA. It’s very on brand for Lana Del Rey.

I liked how a lot of the poems had substance. A lot of poetry collections
Paras2
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book and the poems in it, reminds me of Sylvia Plath and a little of Emily Dickinson.
I've missed such poetry.... nowadays the poetry has become too artistic and out of hand for my taste.
Fatima Haider
Aug 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
This was high key annoying
Lina
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
“SportCruiser”

I took a flying lesson on my 33rd birthday instead of calling you
or parking on the block where our old place used to be
Genesee
Pathetic I know, but sometimes I still like to park on that street
and have lunch in the car just to feel close to you.
I was once in love with my life here
in that studio apartment with you
little yellow flowers on the tops of trees as our only view
out of the only window- big enough for me to see our future
through.
But it turned out I was the only
Katherine
Feb 15, 2021 rated it liked it
I love Lana Del Rey, but I feel drunk after listening to this audiobook 😂 I enjoyed parts of this, but honestly... it was all over the place. Did I love it? No. Did I enjoy parts? Yes. It fell somewhere in the middle, so three shiny stars. 🌟🌟🌟
Hesper
Nov 03, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Since it's written more like a diary, I wouldn't call this poetry. She references to herself in the book as a poet, as well as saying that she wants to be seen as 'soft.' When I think about an individual being portrayed as soft, it is typically people with characteristics that Lana does not seem to have. I felt like I was rereading the same statement over and over again. I like Lana's music, but I have to confess that, if I'm honest, this poetry book was, at best, bland and rather pompous. ...more
Jessica
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In case there was any doubt, Lana is not a pop singer, she’s a poet who makes music. Perfect words put in the perfect order to create perfect feeling. I’ll revisit it again and again. Also, all profits go to reparations for Native American people, so why not get the audiobook and the hard copy?
Sofia
Nov 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I love you Lana but it turns out I don't get down to beat poetry...

description
Carol Torres
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“-L.A., I'm a dreamer, but I'm from nowhere, who am I to dream?” ...more
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love, love and love her writing. I am not that familiar with her music and other things but yes, I love her writing!

The silly rhyming at times but also the lines which express her life and her art.

I love the photos in between the poetry and the lyrics, and also the paintings towards the end.

Some parts seem to depict domestic violence.

She wrote so effortlessly all these words of hatred and the no regrets vibes gave me all the joy while reading this collection.

However, I wish some lines didn't
Sophia
Jul 08, 2020 marked it as to-read
I probably won’t like this but I have to read it because our queen Lana Del Rey wrote it so I feel obligated to read it.
Sanarya Saud
Aug 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Anyone who's given this 'book' 5 stars has not read a real poetry or not even good poetry at all! ...more
Samuel
Aug 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
An interesting, well-produced collection of poetry by Lana Del Rey, one of my favourite contemporary music artists. The collection starts off excellently with the first poem “LA Who Am I To Love you”, which tells of Del Rey yearning for LA after moving to San Francisco and feeling out of place there. The rest of the collection was a bit of a mixed bag for me.

Like her lyrics, many of these poems have an atmospheric, nostalgic feel to them. They read like diary entries, often chronicling a painful
Théo M. (bookswiththeo)
Kind of expected to hate this.

I love Lana but I thought this was deff her just wanting to make money.

The writing actually slapped, and it felt far more personal than her music.

Some of the poems actually gave me chills.

Definitely recommend, but this is not for everyone. You really have to like poetry, for this to work for you.

• I Would Leave Me If I Could: A Collection of Poetry
  • Swimming Lessons: Poems
  • Dolly
  • You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
  • Home Body
  • The Suffragettes
  • Patria
  • No culpes al karma de lo que te pasa por gilipollas (No culpes al karma, #1)
  • La sombra del viento de Carlos Ruiz Zafón (Guía de lectura): Resumen y análisis completo
  • Leonard Cohen: Poems and Songs
  • The Flame
  • I Will Judge You by Your Bookshelf
  • The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams and Reaching Your Destiny
  • How To Have A Beautiful Mind
  • Einstein: His Life and Universe
  • Hippie
  • Dearly: New Poems
  • 2019 on Goodreads
singer, song-writer, musician, and fashion model.

News & Interviews

“LA who am I to need you
when I've needed so much, asked for so much?
And what I've been given, I don't know yet”
37 likes
“in my veins that roll you run citrus watercolor images of serpents on orange trees quietly arise and grow sweet in my midst” 36 likes