Start by marking “Lions of Rome (Praetorian #4)” as Want to Read:
Lions of Rome (Praetorian #4)

Lions of Rome

(Praetorian #4)

Rufinus is dead, crumpled at the base of a cliff in far-off Dacia. Or so the world believes. Back in the west, secretly in the entourage of the fierce Septimius Severus, the young hero moves in the shadows with fellow conspirators in an attempt to finally bring down the would-be tyrant of Rome: Cleander.

Under assumed names and in a variety of roles, the former Praetorian
Published January 12th 2019 by Mulcahy Books

Start your review of Lions of Rome (Praetorian #4)
Simon Binning
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I will admit that Simon Turney's Praetorian series didn't exactly pull me in to begin with. The first volume was a good opener, but the second left me cold. The third regained my interest, and this is the fourth in the series.
Without giving too much of the earlier books away, Rufinus finds himself back in Rome in the extended entourage of Septimus Severus. But he has to use an alias, as his continued existence is known only to a few people. This gives him enormous advantages, but clearly makes l
Richard Myers
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book.

This series of books is about a real person in the time of Rome. Many of the situations described and people were real people during that time. A great historical book.
Ray Brown
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic conclusion.

I read voraciously and enjoy most books, then along comes a serious unputdowner, Lions of Rome is jam packed with intrigue, subterfuge action and amazing plot, just could not put it down, brilliant, being on the next one.
Paul Bennett
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
BLURB

Under assumed names and in a variety of roles, the former Praetorian conspires with some of the most important men in Rome, bringing the city to the very brink of disaster in a grand and com
David Baird
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
We are back with Rufinus for his fourth adventure , you’d think after past events he would want the quiet life..not so.. he still wants to see the downfall of Cleander.

Plot wise I think the author took a slight risk, although it worked pretty well, as the series takes a more fun tone at times. The author provides insights into this in his author notes and it was really interesting to see his thought process.

So on with the nitty-gritty… Rufinus is for all intents and purposes is dead after a nast
Mike Franklin
May 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
The story is good, very good even and whilst it is generally fairly well written Turney does have a tendency to make his main character just a bit too squirmingly honourable for plausibility. And finally the quality of editing seems to have steadily fallen from being unusually adequate to what I have, sadly, come to expect from self published authors. The book is filled with missing/extra words and typos that are invariably valid but incorrect words, all of which suggests the only proof reading ...more
Finn
A very enjoyable fourth novel in this series dealing with the complex reign of Commodus. The historical depth and fast-paced action made this novel, like its predecessors, immersive and hard to put down. I only removed one star because I felt the novel lacked polish in places (some errors and minor plot holes); also I still feel that the characters are somewhat 1-dimensional. However, these are small detail and do not detract from making this a thrilling read. The author is particularly generous ...more
Dave Dodgson
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fantastic concluding episode to the story arc they began in book two. This volume sees a shift from the adventure and battles of the previous book to political intrigue as Rufinus goes undercover in Rome as part of a plot to bring down the imperial Chamberlain Cleander.

Despite the change in setting and the inevitable outcome to anyone who knows their history, Turney (fast becoming my favourite author of Roman period fiction in a very crowded field) take us on a dramatic journey, and leaves the
V T Doidge
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have to say I love SJA Turney and I'm never disappointed. From beginning to end this series had me hooked. Our plucky young hero can be a bit naive but what do you expect? He's finding his way in the world and, man, does he find it.
There were plenty of moments where I was either tutting, face palming, shouting for joy (my commute has been most entertaining) or sneakily fist pumping the air.
If you like adventure, intrigue, calamity and plots coming out of your ears, this is for you.
Gerard McBrien
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Galloping plot. Obviously well researched and gives an authentic feel of Rome at that time

Well researched. Galloping read. It gives an authentic feel of Rome at that time. Very enjoyable! Looking forward to sequel.
Colin Moore
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good Read

An interesting article about a soldier who goes undercover as a Centurian, Adrimal of the fleet & them assumes a dead man identity & leads a cohort of the Urban Guards to bring about the fall of the wicked Chancellor of Rome.
Joe Goins
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
His least polished book released

The story line was well written but the above normal (for Turney) amount misused words, misspellings and frequent use of United Kingdoms slang left me feeling that the book has been rushed to the publisher rather than being properly proofread
Amanda Stubbs
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cracking read

The story goes along at a great pace leading to an exciting conclusion. As always very well written and entertaining
John Prescott
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing

Compelling story interwoven with plausible characters giving an insight into the workings of ancient Rome . A very good read.
John Francis
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant.

A rollercoaster ride for Rufinus. Back from the dead, it's time to rid Rome of Cleander.
Action packed from start to finish. I didn't want to put it down. Superb.
Doris M
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read all four books. Loved all of them. Rufinus is a great hero and kept me coming back for more of his adventures. Highly recommend!
09/01
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great yarn

Well written tale of Rome,plenty of action,scheming,twists and turns.Thoroughly enjoyed reading,but hard to put down. Already for next one. Downloaded.
Tony
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great Imperial Roman potboiler, pulling together all sorts of threads of intrigue from previous volumes together - a good, brisk read!
Sarah Wade
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Another Interesting Read from SJA Turney that takes us deeper into the life and trails of Rufinus. A great read
Mrs L Y Simmonds
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Another well written book that had lots of twists and turns and very interesting reading about the troubles of Rome in this period.
Gary B Thompson
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding

Another excellent book which goes in many directions and flows well.
Based in Rome, this gives a view of the city and allows time to pass without dragging.
Frank G. Lea
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 star

Another wonderful fast reading book I love everything he writes now I'm ready to read the rest of them keep writing these fantastic ones
Mr Kevin John
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A good read

I enjoyed reading this book from the start to the end.The story had a lot to keep me glued to the plot, which kept me turning the pages.
Laurence Ernest Hyde
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written as always ,very enjoyable read,
arnoldusbarnhoorn
Sep 02, 2019
Philip Ryan
Mar 15, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Emperor's Sword (Imperial Assassin #1)
  • The Last of the Romans (The Last of the Romans #1)
  • Sasanian (The Thrice Named Man, #3)
  • Transsilvanian (The Thrice Named Man, #4)
  • The Sign of The Blood (A Dangerous Emperor #1)
  • Emperor's Knife (Imperial Assassin #2)
  • Goth (The Thrice Named Man, #5)
  • Roman (The Thrice Named Man, #6)
  • The Noise of War (The Sertorius Scrolls #2)
  • Scythian (The Thrice Named Man, #1)
  • Legionary (The Thrice Named Man, #2)
  • Emperor of Rome (Vespasian, #9)
  • Traitors of Rome (Eagle #18)
  • The Wrath of Boudicca (Roman, #3)
  • Emperor's Axe (Imperial Assassin #3)
  • Dark Eagle (Legionary #8)
  • Knight of Rome Part I
  • Bedrock of Empire (The Cassius Chronicles #2)
Simon lives with his wife and children and a menagerie of animals in rural North Yorkshire, where he sits in an office, wired on coffee and digestive biscuits, and attempts to spin engrossing tales out of strands of imagination while his children drive toys across his desk and two dogs howl as they try to share a brain cell.

A born and bred Yorkshireman with a love of country, history and architect

Praetorian (5 books)
  • The Great Game (Praetorian #1)
  • The Price of Treason (Praetorian, #2)
  • Eagles of Dacia (Praetorian #3)
  • The Cleansing Fire (Praetorian #5)