Start by marking “Halloween Fiend” as Want to Read:
Halloween Fiend

Halloween Fiend

Strang isn’t the small, quaint town it appears to be. It’s haunted every night by a creature the townsfolk refer to as Halloween. Once the sun sets each day, Halloween emerges to collect its treats: a small, live offering from each household. The residents comply because no one wants to be the target of Halloween’s tricks. But the nightmare of residing in Strang is nothing ...more
Published February 16th 2019 by Grindhouse Press

Start your review of Halloween Fiend
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scream-mag
There are a few rules to living in Strang:
Stay indoors after dusk
Under no circumstances do Outsiders find out what happens here and
Leave a nightly offering of flesh and blood for Halloween

Not the All Hallows Eve you’re thinking of but, an offering to the entity that torments this small community on a nightly basis that it’s citizens call “Halloween”.
Members in the small town of Strang live a lonely and isolated life. Houses remain on the market for long periods of time or have been abandoned a
Tyler J Gray
3.5. Well, now i'm in the Halloween spirit if I wasn't already.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
3.5 Stars
This horror novella would be a good story to read on Halloween Eve. The narrative was quite slow paced, building to a good climax with a creepy monster. Trigger warnings for anyone who is sensitive to harm to animals.
Kimberly
HALLOWEEN FIEND, by C.V. Hunt was the perfect book to start October off with. Although only novella length, this one really packed a punch. In the town of Strang, the residents had a secret that they somehow managed to hide from outsiders. They had to--or the repercussions to the others and themselves would be swift and dire.

. . . Only a sadist would intentionally inflict the dreadful things we lived through every day onto innocent people."

A . . . creature . . . they call "Halloween" comes t
Shaina
Carol
Save this one for Halloween....or not! It's July 4th and I'm reading a Halloween story and enjoying every minute of it!

Every night is Halloween in the small creepy town of Strang. Doesn't that sound like fun?

Nope! Not where the HALLOWEEN FIEND lurks. All remaining 100 residents, except the embittered Barry, know to abide by the strict curfew, keep their traps shut if a visitor comes to town, and most importantly never, ever, forget to leave out a treat!

"Barry, Barry, how much does your life b

Latasha
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty quick read to get you in the Halloween spirit. The story is good but the ending is great.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
I went into this book blind. If I did read the synopsis at some point, I remembered nothing of it as I started reading the book. What swiftly became apparent, though, was that if I was looking to recommend something like Norman Partridge’s Dark Harvest, but less purple and more entertaining, this would be the book I’d tell someone about.

At just over 100 pages Halloween Fiend demands the reader’s attention. It starts off in a way that lets you know that something is seriously screwed up in Strang
WendyB
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, own
Fun story to read to kick off the Halloween season. It kept its focus and didn't blather on with too much backstory and nonsense. Creepy and fun with a nice twist at the end.
Bill
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Right in the middle of a California summer heat wave, I decide to read a Halloween book. What a weirdo.

Halloween roams the streets of Strang in the dark of night. Don’t look at it. Don’t let it see you. And whatever you do DO NOT forget to leave Halloween it’s nightly treat. Especially around its favorite holiday.

Barry Johnson may be stuck in a Kafkaesque looping nightmare of a life. He may also be the only one in Strang that can save town from the torment of Halloween.

I like C.V. Hunt’s work.
Danger
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good characters and a steady narrative propel this fun little monster spooker forward. There's just a dash of Lovecraft in this. Mostly, we're dealing with some unknowable small town terror, as they are trapped by Halloween, and the extremes they must go to to appease the beast. It's an quick read, and I liked it quite a bit.
Kevin Berg
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
When you love Halloween so much, enough to share it with the world in February, it’s gotta be a special story. There was a definite Lottery feel to the whole thing as others have stated, in fact I reread the short story from Jackson to compare, but I appreciate that Hunt went beyond the creepy and ambiguous to deliver a more thorough, scary read. Sure, ancient traditions still choke the life from an old town, but it was clever how the idea was expanded and altered just enough to make it her own. ...more
LauraPora
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
A fun and spooky read to pick up if you want to get into the spirit of Halloween. Great tension building and a lot of dark humor! I read this while I was alone in the house and I could imagine Halloween coming up to my door...yikes!

The end felt a bit disconnected and I would have liked more explanation for character motivations. Left me with a few unanswered questions, but on the whole I loved this personification of Halloween!
J.D.
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Summary

In the small town of Strang there are many abandoned houses, no children and a monster named Halloween that roams the streets at night.
All of the locals know to leave out a sacrifice each night or face terrible consequences.
Barry, however, seems to catch the monster's attention and is in for a surprise when the town's annual fall fest begins.

Personal Opinion

A good story to read the night before Halloween. This short story is easy to read in one sitting with a creepy, mysterious monste
Melanie
"Then woooo went the wind.
And out went the lights.
Then one of the little pumpkins
disappeared from sight."

Super fun start to the Halloween season with this novella from (Yay!) female horror author C.V. Hunt. This had all the usual Halloween tropes - small town mystery, socially dysfunctional MC, creepy Halloween monster, even a buxom waitress. A great way to begin the October fright fest.

Perhaps less use of the word 'asinine' though, give your editor's butt a good kicking C.V.
Emily
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
"Creatures from hell roam on this night, for tonight is the night of fright."

2.5⭐

Halloween Fiend is the latest release from CV Hunt, and I've been looking forward to reading this one once it got closer to Halloween. I liked this idea of this book, but I had a tough time connecting with the story and characters.

This is a very slow build, especially for a novella, and I just didn't have much interest by the time things finally started happening. I've read a couple other CV Hunt books & enjoyed th
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Halloween is my favorite time of the year. Not just because I love spooky things, but I just love the crisp fall weather, the sense of shift in the air, the leaves, the dramatic sunsets. There is something magical and transitory about this season that just isn’t replicated anywhere else.

In this new novella, Hunt makes Halloween come to life for the slowly dying town of Strang. (That’s right, “strange” without the “e.”) Halloween is a monster who visits everyone’s house each night and if you have
Madeline  Worrell
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
The AHA! Moment changed my rating from a 3 to a 4.

Evelyn Medina
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a surprisingly fun read!

The author does such a great job of taking something as simple as the concept of Halloween, and makes it dark and ominous and pretty damn scary! It’s a super short and fast read (103 pages) but the author was really good at building up the suspense and mystery of this creature that is Halloween and creeps readers the f*ck out! It’s a twisted take on the holiday taking place in a small town and by the end of the story, you start to realize that Halloween wasn’t t
Carol
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, horror
I have to say, this was predictable but, so much fun!!! This is one that I’ll possibly revisit in the future to get into the Halloween/creepy spirit!
Frank
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
If there is one thing I know about author C.V. Hunt, its that Halloween is her favorite holiday. HALLOWEEN FIEND is her celebrations of the spirit of that holiday in book form. The story is a classic tale in Hunt's tell-tale style of a town isolated and terrorized by a mysterious, lurking creature. Every page drips with passion for the season.

Despite the title, the story isn't an in-your-face story designed for seasonal reading. This monster story will hold up whatever time of year your read it.
M.E.
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun Halloween read

This was, for the most part, an engaging, fun, spooky story. It was a great way to start out October.
Alex | | findingmontauk1
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, lohf
4 stars! A good read for the Halloween season :) Full review to come!
Katie
Nov 12, 2020 rated it liked it
The people of Strang know not to go out after dark. Something lurks there. Something that has turned their community into a ghost town. Something that demands a nightly sacrifice. Something that speaks to them in autumnal rhymes "when witches go riding/and black cats are seen/the moon laughs in whispers/'tis near Halloween."

Our narrator, Barry Johnson, leads us into this frightening folk tale that is C.V. Hunt's 'Halloween Fiend'. While this story is just over a hundred pages, and is even broken
Lori
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, downloads
A perfect little holloween treat that could be devoured in one sitting, Halloween Fiend is quite the cheeky horror story.

The residents of Strang are hiding a dark secret. For as long as the townspeople can remember, they've been haunted by the terrifying presence of Halloween, an otherworldly entity that demands nightly sacrifices be left on every doorstep. But leaving it cats and guinea pigs can only sate it's hunger for so long. Every Hallows Eve, it demands a human sacrifice. And the town, u
Kay Oliver
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trick or Treat

What if Halloween were a living entity? In the small town of Strang, trick-or-treat has a much darker meaning. This short novel was marvelous, very atmospheric and the characters tug you right into their little world. I definitely recommend this, especially as a Halloween Read!
Yolanda Sfetsos
I've had this book on my Paperwhite for months, but I put it aside on purpose so I could read it this Halloween. And I love that cover. 🎃

Well, Halloween is here!

The town of Strang is mostly abandoned but still has a small population. Every October, Halloween stalks the streets nightly and to keep it happy, the townsfolk leave small animals as treats.

For Barry, this year's a little different, he's much too curious not to stare out the window. And then the carnival comes around the same time as th
Matthew Vaughn
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, reviewed, 2019
Right before Halloween I read CV Hunt's Halloween Fiend, fitting, right? It really was the perfect Halloween read, as it deals with a town called Strang that's terrorized by a creature called Halloween. The story culminates on All Hallows Eve, where the town performs it's yearly ritual to appease the otherworldly creature.

I've been a fan of CV Hunts for years now. Even though I haven't read everything she has put out, I've not read a bad book from her yet, and expect that I never will. Her voice
Leke Giwa
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fiendishly grips like a tourniquet
David
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. This was serviceable. I think Hunt is really good at writing but not so good at plotting. There were some unnerving scenes in this but the overall story was flat.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Out Behind the Barn
  • Camp Slaughter
  • Devil's Creek
  • Halloween Season
C.V. Hunt lives in Dayton, Ohio. She is the owner of Grindhouse Press and writes unpopular fiction in her spare time.