Start by marking “Odes to Lithium” as Want to Read:
Odes to Lithium

Odes to Lithium

In this remarkable debut, Shira Erlichman pens a love letter to Lithium, her medication for Bipolar Disorder. With inventiveness, compassion, and humor, she thrusts us into a world of unconventional praise. From an unexpected encounter with her grandmother's ghost, to a bubble bath with Bjӧrk, to her plumber's confession that he, too, has Bipolar, Erlichman buoyantly toppl ...more
Published September 17th 2019 by Alice James Books

To ask other readers questions about Odes to Lithium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odes to Lithium

Alana
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ode to Lithium #63: Lightweight

at the party I’m called a lightweight

while you shovel salt through my blood
like a dedicated father clearing the driveway

except the driveway is the whole world

you make wine take off its clothes faster
glaze my eyes with gentle & I deserve a life–

time supply of this ease so when they

tease “just one drink & you’re good”
they don’t know ………it’s not the wine

Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review; opinions are my own.

You know how once in a while you’re kind of flirting with several books at once and then you pick one up you thought you’d save for later but it grabs you by the throat and injects you with magic serum that makes you stay? That’s what happened to me with this book. I stayed with it until I was done; I want to stay with it forever. A one-sitting read that cracked open the shell of m
Courtney LeBlanc
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall this is a very good, compelling collection of poems which focus on the poet's mental health and struggle with bipolar disorder and her reliance on lithium, the drug that keeps her brain chemistry balanced.

from The Knife-Flower: "Lust was my terrain. I licked / my plate clean. Underlined what was already / underlined. My religion, those muscular, inky odes."

from There Were Others: "I know you want to know: Were they better Did I love them Would I ever go back Who was she. //
Joe Archer
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Stylistically interesting and emotionally charged, Odes to Lithium is a unique reading experience and a glimpse into the mind of an artist living with Bipolar Disorder. There were a few poems, full of parental blaming, that came off as a bit juvenile from an outsider's perspective, but overall this was a great debut collection.
Mander Pander
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, book-club
Poetry either makes you feel like a light has picked you out of crowd and you are seen, or a lot of nothing.
This volume made me feel nothing, but I have some guilt about leaving a poor review about such a personal work, especially based in chronic health issues.
Allison
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This book is revolutionary. I read it breathless and stunned. Shira Ehrlichman writes love poetry for her Lithium, the medication for her Bipolar Disorder, and meditates on mental health, family, self, stigma, love, solidarity so much more. This collection completely blew me away.
Emanuela M.
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bellissima collezione di poesie che più che altro trattano temi come problemi con la salute mentale ed il disturbo bipolare che si quietano con il litio.
Bellissima collezione.
Intensa.
Josette
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED this book. Erlichman's poetry crackles with light and reminds me that we all have an ability to enrich our lives with noticing the quality of the light all around us.
Crystal
I loved Erlichman's original odes to lithium, seeing one in a literary journal was a treat. Loved this collection though it felt less wild than the originals, having been polished and the odes been gifted titles. Even that small detail gives more of a sense of stability, of order formed out of chaos.
Cassidy
Kelly
Sep 22, 2019
Spencer
Oct 01, 2019
Shira Erlichman is a writer, visual artist, and musician. A three-time Pushcart Prize nominee, her work has been featured in The Huffington Post, BuzzFeed Reader, Nomadic Press, The Rumpus and PBS NewsHour’s Poetry Series, among others. She earned her BA at Hampshire College and was awarded a residency by the Millay Colony, the James Merrill Fellowship by the Vermont Studio Center, and the Visions ...more