Start by marking “Never Kiss a Duke (Hazards of Dukes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Never Kiss a Duke (Hazards of Dukes, #1)

Never Kiss a Duke

(Hazards of Dukes #1)

A disinherited duke and a former lady are courting much more than business in the first novel in Megan Frampton's newest titillating series, Hazards of Dukes.

Everything he had ever known was a lie…

Published January 28th 2020 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Never Kiss a Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Kiss a Duke

Start your review of Never Kiss a Duke (Hazards of Dukes, #1)
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. I like to read the occasional historical romance and this one looked like it would be worth a try. This is the first book in the Hazards of Dukes series and I thought that it kicked off the new series quite well. I was hooked by this story in the first few pages and found the book to be a very pleasant read. I am so glad that I decided to pick up this book.

Sebastian, Duke of Hasford, finds his life ch
Stacee
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it

I’m pretty much going to read anything with Megan’s name on it, so I didn’t even read the synopsis before requesting.

I really liked Ivy and Sebastian. At first it seems like they’re coming from different places, but I quickly realized they’ve worked to become what they are. She speaks up for herself and he’s learning to be a commoner and it was enjoyable reading them figure it out. I loved Ivy’s sister Octavia and Sebastian’s friend Nash and can’t wait to hopefully see more of them.

P
Becky
This is my first Megan Frampton! I have been meaning to try her forever, her story lines always sound enticing and I think her covers are beautiful. This is the first book of her new series, Hazards of Dukes.

I thought this story was so unique in that the hero is no longer a duke. He's been raised to be a duke, was told he was the duke, acted like the duke...until he discovers he is a nobody due to a violated law by his mother. He is plain Mr. de Silva. He's like a newborn entering the world of,
Elodie
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never Kiss a Duke
A Hazards of Dukes Novel
Megan Frampton
Release date 1/28/2020
Publisher Avon

Blurb :

Everything he had ever known was a lie…
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

It wasn't too shabby. The chemistry was undeniable and I thought they made an ideal pairing though the whole 'game kink' was not up my alley. Nevertheless it wasn't a bad read and would definitely categorize this as mediocre.

Tracy Emro
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
In the blink of an eye Sebastian’s life changed, one minute he was Sebastian Dutton, the Duke of Hasford and the next, thanks to his mother, he was Sebastian de Silva, illegitimate son of the former Duke and his cousin, Thaddeus is now the duke. After making Thad promise to take care of his older half-sister Ana Maria, a stunned and more than a little upset Sebastian goes to see his friend Nash, the Duke of Malvern. Nash decides that Sebastian needs a night out and they visit a new gaming club – ...more
aarya
DNF at 32%

I DNFed because I was bored and the characters’ chemistry didn’t hook me yet. Maybe things would have improved but I wasn’t invested enough to continue. It’s well-written and I loved the premise (lady gamblers FTW!), so your mileage may vary. I might try again after a while; I really like Megan Frampton’s voice and maybe I’m not in the correct mood for something relatively slow-paced and low stakes.

Also: Sebastian’s moping monologue about losing the dukedom and determinedly not accept
Katie
In the category of things an author would've never expected to be an issue: There's a lot of talk about wearing masks the gambling club and, well, it would often throw me out of the story.

I did like this as a story of growth for both the hero and heroine, but IDK. The writing never totally clicked. It's another where I'm interested in other characters' stories and yet . . .

Also (view spoiler)
Joana V.
Apr 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: meus, arc, e-book, inglês
Review originally published at Romancing Romances.

2.5*

I received an eARC at no cost from the publisher, and I am leaving a voluntary and honest review. Thank you.

First of all, don’t do like me. I read two historical romances all about gambling places/casinos in a row, and it did not help.

I believe this was my first book by Megan Frampton, but having heard good things, I expected a great book. And I almost got. Almost.

This book is… soft. Not in an “oh no, there’s no sexy times” way (on the contra
Jessica Grogan
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Megan Frampton is one of my favorite authors, and this SHOULD’VE been a great title. But it wasn’t, I had trouble getting through it, and I’m not 100% sure why. I liked both the hero and heroine, and the side characters we met. The plot summary was interesting. And I truly enjoy Megan Frampton’s writing style. There just wasn’t anything very engaging in this story for me. Nothing much was happening besides characters talking at one place, and then talking at another, and then another. I think it ...more
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This book had a lot of potential. I really liked the idea of the story of a woman owning a gambling hell and a Duke who is no longer a Duke. It started off good but then seemed to falter. Ivy is the owner of Miss Ivy’s, the daughter of a Baron won the establishment or the money to open the establishment (I never understood which) in a card game with the farmer who won her in a similar card game with her father. So her and teenage sister run this club. Sebastian was a Duke but finds out that his ...more
Janet
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sebastian, Duke of Hasford, has a title, wealth, privilege, and plenty of rakish charm. Until he discovers the only thing that truly belongs to him is his charm. An accident of birth has turned him into plain Mr. de Silva. Now, Sebastian is flummoxed as to what to do with his life—until he stumbles into a gambling den owned by Miss Ivy, a most fascinating young lady, who hires him on the spot.
Two years ago, Ivy gambled everything that was precious to her—and won. Now the owner of London’s most
Lori D
Well the first Hazard of a Duke is when you find you are no longer one and that is where the hero Sebastian comes in! Since it is usually the opposite, I really enjoyed this twist and was anxious to see how he would handle the situation. Instead of just hanging out with the new Duke and his sister, he decides to take a job at a gaming house.
Ivy has had her own problems, like being gambled away by her father, a baron, but in her own twist won herself back. Yes, she gambled with the man that had w
romancejunkie
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sebastian has lived his entire life in privilege and has been living as the Duke of Hasford for some months until one day he is called by the family's solicitor and receives the unsetling news that he was not the rightful Duke because his parents marriage was invalid, and the title would go to his cousin.
He is of course shocked and desperate to find something to do and a new place to stay.
When he goes to a gambling house with a friend, he meets the owner of the place, Ivy and becomes intrig
Stephanie
Very mild sex scene spoiler that sums up my problems with the book:

There’s a very cute scene where our hero, who’s never had to shop for himself before, buys tons of differently colored ribbon in excited expectation of his upcoming sexual encounter with the heroine. It’s a great character moment for him, and it’s both fun and great at building anticipation for the reader.

When the time comes, the ribbon is mentioned in past tense, in one sentence, and it just lets us know that they enjoyed it.

Wel
shoesforall
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was a nice slow burn that made the chemistry between the characters all the more intriguing. Ivy and Seb were wonderful characters to watch on their journeys of self-discovery. I enjoyed that Seb was the character who needed to figure out who he was. Ivy already knew who she was but she just needed to let go of the limited future she had envisioned for herself and let Seb into her life.

I don't know of a book I have read recently that was more perfectedly paced. The slow bui
Candace
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story of Sebastian, Ivy, Octavia, Ana Marie, Thaddeus and Nash. Sebastian and Ivy were great together. The secondary characters provided the emotional support and the laughter. Even Sebastian's two dogs were a delight. The plot was a traditional romance plot. The subplots were neatly tied up. The break-in at Miss Ivy's gambling business is left for the reader to assume it was either thieves or a business rival. This is never made clear and seemed more like a reason to get Sebastian ...more
Luz
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. At time it was really moving slow and some things were a bit repetitive. But over all The chemistry between the H and h was great. Slow burn, but worth it.
Elaine
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindlefire, regency
I enjoyed Never Kiss A Duke. Loved the characters and plot. Will definitely be reading #2.
Maureen Lubitz
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Never Kiss a Duke by Megan Frampton

“Historical accuracy” is a loaded term in the historical romance genre, and I’m not going to be unpacking the implications today; believe me, I could go on for days about the subject, but then I wouldn’t be able to discuss this lovely new book.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a duke cannot lose his title. This comes up in books: the titled protagonist is in danger of losing his title if he doesn’t meet some unconventional requirements, like failing
Connie
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Sebastian (Seb) Dutton, the Duke of Hasford, has just learned that he is illegitimate and, thus, is no longer a Duke. He is simply Mr. Sebastian de Silva. His cousin, Thaddeus (Thad), the Earl of Kempthorne, is also a solicitor and he will be the new Duke of Hasford. Thad is just as stunned and Seb is. It turns out that Seb’s mother had lied about something that left her marriage a sham and illegal. Seb is mostly concerned about his half sister, Ana Maria, and hopes Thad will see that she is wel ...more
Lorka
Oct 05, 2020 marked it as dnf-at-all
Um.... Lol, I've skimmed thru other reviews looking to see if the hero is described as having some sort of social immaturity, awkwardness, unawareness... but I did not notice anything. So I will mention here why I stopped and DNF'ed rather early...

The hero had been a Duke his whole life. This particular day he learned his parents marriage was illegitimate and because of this, he was no longer a Duke, but instantly a Mr. with no money or home. He decides to go out to a casino to sulk.

The heroine
Lindsay  pinkcowlandreads
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read
What is a duke to do when he no linger is a duke???

Sebastian has just been informed that his whole life is a lie... he is no longer the Duke (that’s now his cousin) and he is a bastard. Learning that this is all due to his mother’s manipulations he vows to not accept the charity of friends and family and to man something of himself in his own...

Ivy has had the luck of the cards determine her fate from day one. First her father gambles away her freedom and then with another game she wins her free
Samantha
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Sebastian is use to living a life of privilege until the truth his mother hid from him comes out. He is not the Duke and he is just a mere commoner. His cousin is the real Duke and all Sebastian asks of his cousin is to ensure that his sister is taken care of.

Struggling with the news, Sebastian finds himself trying to drown out his sorrows at the gambling club where he meets Ivy, the owner. He is intrigued by this strong, independent woman.

Ivy’s focus is on running the club and taking care of h
Pelusa Rivera
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So the book was entertaining but the title should have been something else because Ivy one of the main characters didn't kiss a duke. Let me explain. So Sebastian- Duke of Hastings is at his solicitors office along with his cousin, come to find out that his mother was a scheming liar and cheated the system so he Sebastian is no longer a Duke but a lowly Mr. On a drunken night out along with his other bestie Nash they go to a new club in town where Ivy is the proprietor. Now Ivy is no longer cons ...more
viktoria
Preview: This is the most useful review I've ever written.

Books like this are the reason why I have a "it's not you, it's me probably" shelf, because while it featured many things I usually like and I can't name any technical faults, I didn't particularly like this and I have no idea why.

It had a million elements in it that I liked! Complicated family relationships, competent people, discovering your awesome competent self, letting go of your old (and heavily influenced) ideals and embracing yo
Debra Martin
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Mr. Sebastian de Silva has his life turned upside down with a letter from his mother after her death. Turns out her marriage wasn't legal and now Sebastian is a plain Mr. instead of a duke. He is out of his element as he has no idea how to live like a "commoner." When he meets Miss Ivy Holton, the owner of a gaming establishment, his life takes an unexpected turn. Can Ivy help Sebastian adjust to his new life and open his heart to love?

This book started off great. It was a storyline I've not rea
Aila

This was a lovely book! The unique synopsis drew me, and I stayed because of the characters. While this romance didn’t quite stand out, I ultimately had a great time following Ivy and Sebastian’s love story.

To note:

+ Ivy was a businesswoman who owned her own gambling hall.
+ Her relationship with her sister Octavia was absolutely darling and so sweet, despite some obstacles.
+ I liked how she didn’t fall immediately into a relationship with Sebastian. When she did, it was justified and f
Norah Gibbons
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book to read through Edelweiss+ in exchange for a fair review.  Never Kiss a Duke is the first book in Megan Frampton's intriguing new series Hazards of Dukes. The marriage of Sebastian Dutton, Duke of Hasford's parents has been declared invalid and he is now just plain Mr. de Silva. Unsure of who he is without the title and the fortune he takes a position at Miss Ivy's gambling club. Ivy Holton had her chances at a respectable marriage taken away from her when her fath ...more
Margaret
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Romanceopoly: The Office - Non-Contemporary where the MCs meet in their workplace

Review originally published at Goldilox and the Three Weres and based on a copy provided by the publisher.

Never Kiss a Duke is my first Megan Frampton book and I really enjoyed it. It puts a historical twist on the office romance, which is one of my faves. Admittedly, this might be because I've never really worked in an office. I just love the whole making out on the desk thing!

I also loved how self-aware Ivy is. S
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Love Is a Rogue (Wallflowers vs. Rogues, #1)
  • Lord Holt Takes a Bride (The Mating Habits of Scoundrels, #1)
  • My Kind of Earl (Mating Habits of Scoundrels, #2)
  • An Heiress to Remember (The Gilded Age Girls Club, #3)
  • Beauty Tempts the Beast (Sins for All Seasons, #6)
  • The Virgin and the Rogue (The Rogue Files, #6)
  • Scot Under the Covers (Wild Wicked Highlanders, #2)
  • The Duke Effect (The Rogue Files, #7)
  • The Earl Takes a Fancy (Sins for All Seasons, #5)
  • The Prince of Broadway (Uptown Girls, #2)
  • A Good Duke Is Hard to Find (Isle of Synne, #1)
  • The Devil of Downtown (Uptown Girls, #3)
  • Would I Lie to the Duke (Union of the Rakes, #2)
  • Forever My Duke (Unlikely Duchesses, #2)
  • The Forgotten Duke (Diamonds in the Rough, #5)
  • Her Night with the Duke (Clandestine Affairs, #1)
  • His Secret Mistress (A Logical Man's Guide to Dangerous Women, #1)
  • Nothing Compares to the Duke (The Duke's Den, #3)
Megan Frampton's love affair with books began when her parents moved her to a remote town in New Hampshire where there was only one television station. And then the TV broke. She devoured every book of fiction in her well-read parents' library, finding special joy in Georgette Heyer and the fairy tales collected and translated by Andrew Lang. Megan majored in English literature at Barnard College ...more

Hazards of Dukes (4 books)
  • Tall, Duke, and Dangerous (Hazards of Dukes, #2)
  • A Wicked Bargain for the Duke (Hazards of Dukes, #3)
  • Untitled (Hazards of Dukes, #4)