Start by marking “Call Him Mine” as Want to Read:
Call Him Mine

Call Him Mine

(Call Him Mine #1)

Jaded reporter Andrew and his photographer boyfriend, Carlos, are sick of telling just another story: from cartel massacres to corrupt politicians, sifting the dregs of Mexico's drug war, they think they've seen it all.

Published June 27th 2019 by W&N

To ask other readers questions about Call Him Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call Him Mine

Start your review of Call Him Mine
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
In Spanish, the verb esperar, it means ‘to hope’, ‘to wait’, and ‘to expect’. Which one you meant, I didn’t know, but I guessed it was maybe all three.

On my blog.

Rep: gay mc, Mexican side characters

CWs: graphic descriptions of violence, death, mentions of drug addiction, drug abuse

Galley provided by publisher

How many reviews do I start with I don’t know what to say? Well, here’s another one for you! I really enjoyed this book, but do I know why? Nope, no such luck!

Call Him Mine is a kind of
Aoife
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the publishers/author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Andrew is an Irish journalist living and working in Mexico City when he and his photographer boyfriend stumble across the body of a person brutally murdered by a cartel. When Andrew's boyfriend Carlos asks too many questions about the body, he is also killed. Now Andrew is faced with a dilemma - turn the other way or begin to probe into the killings which lead back to oil fields, big corporate boardroo
Tom Mooney
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was excellent. A thoroughly enjoyable literary crime novel.

An Irish journalist in Mexico City gets drawn into the brutal world of drugs, oil and corruption after his boyfriend is murdered for turning over one stone too many.

There are echos of many great novelists in this very fine debut. Just a few who came to mind while reading were Don Winslow, Lawrence Osborne, Charles Portis and even, at times, Roberto Bolano.

MacGabhann writes with clear insight both into the workings of Mexican power s
Rob Keenan
"Call me a romantic, but I happen to believe that the presence of Pierce news cameras was what stopped certain East German border guards from opening fire in 1989. We helped take down that wall."

Cartels and corporate crime in Latin America.
This was p. good. Another one from the Stinging Fly crew. Set mostly in Mexico it follows a journalist who falls deeper into the violence surrounding American oil extracting companies following the murder of his partner. Doesn't shy away from the violence or
Claire
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it

The book is a LGBT thriller set against the backdrop of Mexico's drug and oil trades. I didn't particularly enjoy this book but I don't know why, it was just a bit meh. For me, it was a slow burner and didn't really hook me in at any particular point.
Garret Giblin
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A real page-turner, drug war thriller. Worth reading if you're a fan of sicario or narcos
Jonathan
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
Well this was rather fab. It begins with Andrew, an Irish journalist living in Mexico, and his photojournalist boyfriend Carlos finding a mutilated corpse in an alleyway on their way home from Poza Rica, one time oil capital of Mexico to their home in Mexico City. From this gruesome discovery the story soon escalates to more violence and death and the gradual uncovering of a plot involving connections between US and Mexican businesses, corrupt police and death squads. The writing is at times ten ...more
Abi Walton
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like Tim MacGabham, I too am a UEA alumnus, which meant I was curious to see what this author had created. And I was not disappointed.
This heartfelt, intelligent and fast-paced thriller left me breathless with every page. I adored the fact that at the centre of this book filled with violence, crime, death and destruction there was a queer love story. Where do you ever see that in mainstream crime literature?
I was very impressed with this novel. it not only told an epic entertaining story which
Mary
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what an amazing debut from Tim MacGabhann. Set against the backdrop of Mexico’s drugs cartels, corrupt politics and police, and the powerful oil industry this novel grabs you from the first page. It is gritty, violent, sometimes funny and often tragic.

Journalist, Andrew and his lover Carlos, a photographer, come across the body of a young man, who, they later discover, is a student activist involved in protests against the corruption rife in the country which is bringing misery and death to
Chris
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read this last year and it has really stuck with me. Vividly written, engrossing thriller that really dunks you into the tense, ominous story line while painting a picture of a country that goes beyond the stereotypes that typically dominate when these subjects are fictionalised.
Jack Horan
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really like how he's used his own experiences to create this exciting novel, license to drag.
IGY
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exciting, heartfelt and often quite profound thriller set against the backdrop of Mexico's drug and oil trades, in a country gripped by imperialism and political corruption. A searing debut!
David
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A massive toke of top quality sativa dominant literature, hook it to my veins
Vivienne
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My thanks to Orion Publishing Group/Weidenfeld & Nicolson for an eARC via NetGalley of Tim MacGabhann’s ‘Call Him Mine’ in exchange for an honest review.

I found this a stunning debut with a moving love story at its heart. Tim MacGabhann’s writing reflects his journalistic background in its discipline though also is passionate and lyrical. I could imagine ‘Call Him Mine’ being considered for literary prizes.

Its narrator Andrew is an Irishman living and working in Mexico as a journalist. Years of
Lana Kordic
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My only flaw with this novel is that the plot sometimes feels unrealistic.

I loved the rich language, the saturated descriptions of the environment. As expected from a thriller, there's lots of suspense that keeps you on the edge of your seat, and all the action was wonderfully combined with the interior world of our narrator, as we subtly follow him in both his path for revenge as in his path of overcoming loss and addiction.
All in all, I'd recommend this book, especially to anyone who loves l
Kat
Dec 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
I've been trying to get into this book for months! I pick it up, read a bit and just cannot get into it.

Unfortunately it's a DNF 43% in.

Personally for me the writing feels messy and all over the place, and it fails to keep my interest.

I rarely DNF books, but this may drag me into a slump I don't want and its better we part ways as friends.

Thank you so much NetGalley for giving me a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Alex Washburn
Im not into fictional crime thrillers but this doesn't precisely fit into that category.

It is crime, but, it's better described as re-woven truth rather than pure fiction.

This is an excellent and entertaining read that crime lovers and people familiar with Mexico will be drawn to. I'm excited for part 2 coming out this year!
Pam
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Extremely gritty and violent. That being said it provides a realistic view of the South American/Mexican gang wars, not only over drugs, but also over the natural resources (oil and natural gas) and the role that fracking plays in this part of the world.
Regina Dooley
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a very gritty dark thriller set in Mexico. For some of the book l was confused by the story so some knowledge of mexican news would be necessary to really appreciate the novel. An exciting debut from a hometown writter.
Conor
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Although there are big events happening from page 1, it took me a little while to warm to the writing and story but once I did, I was hooked.
Possibly in Michigan, London
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Smart, lyrical, unsentimental, but still warm - not a thriller reader usually but glad to have read this gateway book!
Kya Strong
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brutal and violent. A great story.
Tom Massey
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really good gritty Mexican crime thriller!
Sharon
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75
Robert
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting read, very raw and gripping
Celestria Love
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Violent and brutal with a great story.
Paul Harvey
Jun 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Unlikely to be endorsed by the Mexico Tourist Board. An Irish-born journalist investigates corruption and State death squads, following the murder of his photojournalist colleague/boyfriend.
Jim Hanks
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jaded reporter Andrew and his photographer boyfriend, Carlos, are sick of telling just another story. From cartel massacres to corrupt politicians, sifting the dregs of Mexico's drug war, they think they've seen it all. But when they find a body even the police are too scared to look at, what started out as just another reportage becomes the sort of story all reporters dream of.
Tim MacGabhann's writing is terrific. It can go from genuinely frightening to funny in a second. The characters are gre
José Flores
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is full of details and references that contribute a lot to the story. It's very well structured and keeps you wanting to continue reading. The book is also an invitation to reflect on the security environment in Mexico, the normalization of violence and the role of journalism.

Also if yo have a chance, check Tim’s work as journalist. He has very interesting reports like the one he did on the man that cleans crime scenes in Mexico (and is referenced somehow in the book).
Ange Ryan
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Read, keeps you hooked until the end. The writing style is very descriptive and leaves you wanting to hear more about Andrew and the rest.
Worth the read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicate Book Profiles 2 18 Oct 09, 2019 05:11PM

• Notes from an Apocalypse: A Personal Journey to the End of the World and Back
  • Wychwood (Wychwood, #1)
  • The Summer House
  • You Will Be Safe Here
  • Sarah Jane
  • The Gothic Tales of H. P. Lovecraft
  • The Power of Eight: Harnessing the Miraculous Energies of a Small Group to Heal Others, Your Life, and the World
  • Summerwater
  • Night Boat to Tangier
  • The Hunted
  • Keeper
  • The Wild Laughter
  • The Jakarta Method: Washington's Anticommunist Crusade and the Mass Murder Program that Shaped Our World
  • In the Dream House: A Memoir
  • Amongst Women
  • Exciting Times
  • Recovering
  • City of Bohane

Call Him Mine (2 books)
  • How to be Nowhere (Call him mine, #2)