Start by marking “There's No Crying in Newsrooms: What Women Have Learned about What It Takes to Lead” as Want to Read:

There's No Crying in Newsrooms tells the stories of remarkable women who broke through barrier after barrier at media organizations around the country over the past four decades. They started out as editorial assistants, fact checkers and news secretaries and ended up running multi-million-dollar news operations that determine a large part of what Americans read, view and ...more
Published July 5th 2019 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers

To ask other readers questions about There's No Crying in Newsrooms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's No Crying in Newsrooms

Start your review of There's No Crying in Newsrooms: What Women Have Learned about What It Takes to Lead
Penny
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mentors, professors and parents should recommend No Crying in the Newsroom to any aspiring journalist. An engaging and informative read full of insightful anecdotes and stories. The authors – trailblazers in their own right -- share the wisdom gained by homesteading female pioneers who, over the past half century, rose through the ranks and paved a professional path forward for other women. Each chapter ends with a compendium of leadership lessons – a passing of the baton to the current ...more
Fernanda Santos
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read an advance copy of "There's No Crying in Newsrooms." This book illuminates the challenges and successes faced by a number of women who clawed their way to the top in newsrooms across the United States. The stories it tells are honest and they all carry at least one lesson that any of us, whether we work in newsrooms or not, can apply to our dealings with those we work with and work for.
Lauren
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this!
Jane
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5, rounding down. I think I wanted this book to be something it wasn't. While I appreciated hearing myriad stories of women in media, I found it almost disheartening to hear about so many of the struggles that lie in front of me, and finished this book legitimately wanting to leave the industry. I wasn't sure what the thesis of this book was, other than simply telling stories and giving disjointed advice that at times contradicted itself.

Also, god, this book was so white. The token chapter
A
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminism
Wow. This book is a must-read for journalists, especially those interested in climbing the corporate ladder or going into management. As a young woman in my first editing role at a major news outlet, I have turned to this book to learn from the management styles of the women trailblazers who came before me — and I was not let down. Kristin and Julia interviewed around 100 female journalists, and the book is framed around their testimonials. So many of their struggles — like balancing toughness ...more
Wanda
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great and fast read about the small community of women who have been leaders in media organizations, and how the organizations handled the diviersity of gender. The co-authors -- both journalists and now journalism professors -- interviewed dozens of women about the good, the bad and the ugly of their careers. I am sure many students will benefit from the well-reported stories as it should be a textbook in university women's studies courses.

At the end of each chapter, the authors
Pinky
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-19
Examines the history of women in the newsroom and how over the past 40 years we’ve been fighting to move forward and then regressing. Empowering and frightening. Covers a wide variety of women in power positions from the first foreign correspondents to tthe first editors of major news outlets. Christiane Amanpour is my hero. Seriously, we need more women who aren’t afraid to be tough and tell it like it is.
Julia
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I don't have any background in journalism, I still found this book super interesting. Its practical takeaways were relevant to women in all leadership roles or male dominated fields. Secondly, I loved hearing the stories of women who paved the way in this field - even if it was difficult. Highly recommend!
Cristie Underwood
The authors did a great job of conveying how success was bittersweet for women journalists attempting to be equal to their male counterparts in the workforce. This book lays out the highs and lows of being successful in a field dominated by men and the isolation that it caused. Great writing!
Karen Dandurant
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anyone in the business...read this. It's great.
Alex Novet
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read! Really enjoyed it
Patricia Torres-Burd
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Should be mandatory reading for women and men working in media.
Many of my friends and idols featured. Thank you Christiane for always remembering Margaret Moth.
Women make a massive difference in journalism and media because audiences are made up of men and WOMEN - of all colors and backgrounds.
Diversity is not just good, it’s great for business!
Bravo to the authors of this book for this gift and their contribution to media.
Dana

• Stargazing
  • A Mother’s Secret
  • She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
  • The Man in the Monster: An Intimate Portrait of a Serial Killer
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
  • Dominicana
  • Imaginary Friend
  • Next Girl to Die (The Calderwood Cases, #1)
  • Red at the Bone
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • Once a Runner
  • Lights All Night Long
  • Trust Exercise
  • Inland
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • In the Waning Light
  • Passion on Park Avenue (Central Park Pact, #1)