Start by marking “Beau and Bett” as Want to Read:
Beau and Bett

Beau and Bett

This is an alternate cover edition of ISBN 9781948705448.

After Beau LeFrancois's mother wrecks Bett Diaz’s luxury SUV, his family faces an impossibly large bill—with no car insurance to help pay it. To pay off the debt, Beau spends his weekends working at the Diaz Ranch.

Beau’s prepared to work, but he’s definitely not prepared for the infamous temper of Bett Diaz, also kno
Published June 25th 2019 by Amberjack Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Beau and Bett, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beau and Bett

Start your review of Beau and Bett
Yna the Mood Reader
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
“Some folks got all the luck and some folks don’t. We don’t got any luck but we gotta lot of love so that’s all that matters.”
I received an eARC of this book from both Edelweiss and Netgalley.

But thanks to you both and to Amberjack Publishing, as well.

📖 Buy This Book: Amazon Kobo Barnes & Noble 📖
📚 Series: No.
📚 Genre: YA.
📚 POV: First person.
📚 Cliffhanger: No.

This book has been marketed as a modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I had high hopes, but unfortunately, t
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

In the past Kathryn Berla has approached me to read her books. I really loved Going Places and enjoyed the neat fusion story in Dream Me. We lost touch, however, when I saw that Beau and Bett was a new YA by Kathryn Berla I knew I had to give it a go! What I enjoy so much about her books is the subtle slice of life feel to her stories and her realistic and quirky characters.

I love the title, Beau and Bett for a contemporary retelling o
Erin
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
We already know that I have never been able to resist a "Beauty and the Beast " retelling and this one was no exception. Set in contemporary America, our main protagonist, Beau LeFrancois meets the very spoiled rich girl, Bettina Diaz, coined by her schoolmates as "The Beast" while working on her father's ranch.

Positive Thoughts:

1. I like the gender reversal of the beauty versus beast roles.

2. Beau was a compelling protagonist and I was captured by his "voice"

3. Loved Beau's family backstory an
Zøe Haslie
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
· “If you were lucky in love, you sure as hell were lucky in life.” ·

*I got an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review*

I guess it’s only fair to begin my review by admitting the obvious—I’m a big sucker for Beauty & The Beast retellings! But this one? This one took the retelling to a whole new level, for there’s a very clever swap in characters’ roles and that’s what sold me the story in the first place!

Btw, can we take a moment to stare at the cover? Isn’t it just beautiful ♥?

Now, le
☼Shannon☼
This left me underwhelmed.

There was some dialogue that left me bored, they spent a whole page talking about mundane stuff that doesn't really drive the plot forward. The plot seemed to speed ahead while dragging along simultaneously.

I liked that this was a modern retelling that didn't rely on the use of magical realism. Not that I don't like magical realism but that seems to be the only way to make a modern beauty and the beast retelling work.
Paula  Phillips
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it

One of my favorite tropes to read are renditions of fairytales and one of my all-time favorite fairytales happens to be the story of Beauty and the Beast. So when I saw Beau and Bett was to be a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, I knew I had to read it. The book starts off with a twist where Beau is our "beauty". He comes from a lovely family, where though they may not have a lot and are on hard times - the love they have for each other is strong and keeps them united. The Beast in this book is
Jessica | Booked J
Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Direct link to this review can be found here.

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

There's just something about Beauty and the Beast retellings. While I enjoy the fairy-tale and the Disney film to an extent, it isn't my favourite. The funny thing about this fact is that retellings based on or inspired by Beauty and the Beast are actually a favourite of
Aly
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
It took me a while to get into this book. At first, the characters felt flat and one dimensional. Everything seemed surface and Beau and Bett's actions were confusing and didn't make sense. Bett was hot and cold and awkward and Beau couldn't make up his mind how he felt. Around the halfway point, things started to come together and when we got the backstory of why people call Bett 'the beast', I saw her as a real person who had actual emotions. Beau got better over the story too, I'm gl
Alexandra
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

In this sweet retelling of Beauty and the Beast, set in a contemporary a beautiful boy has to face the ugly on the inside girl as social status, family and relationships collide.
Elevetha
*An ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review*

DNF at approx 60%.

Well, it was a modern gender-swapped retelling of Beauty and the Beast...I had to at least try.

It read as very juvenile to me, yet includes swear words and Beau comments on 'sexiness' and mentions 'fantasies' concerning girls. It's very light and doesn't delve deep into the subject but felt at odds with the childish writing. Plus I just didn't care for the writing style in general.
Mar
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh boy! So first things first, Beau and Bett is a modern-day retelling of the beauty and the beast; however, if you didn't know that, you wouldn't put those two together. That's not to say it wasn't an enjoyable story and didn't mirror beauty and the beast in certain ways, because it sure did! Beau and Bett is a story about hardworking, family oriented Beau who does everything he can to make his family's life easier when an accident with his mom and a certain girl, Bett, leaves him in charge of ...more
Kaffeeklatsch and Books
This is a cute contemporary Beauty and the Beast retelling.
I thought it was an okay read. I found Beth extremely obnoxious and Beau a bit too shallow and a bit slow. Yes it's a romance and yes I know exactly where the story goes, no surprises here, but he didn't have to be that dumb to get that Beth is interested.
The family scenes I enjoyed, but I'm not sold on the Cajun accent of Beau's father in the book. It felt stiff and I'd have to preferred the book without it.

I can recommend this book if
Emily Wrayburn
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, ebook, arc
Review originally posted on A Keyboard and an Open Mind July 5, 2019:

Actual rating 2.5 stars.

This was a really hard book to rate and review. I found it readable enough. I liked some of the characters. But I just couldn’t work out what the book was trying to do. I had no particular investment in any of the characters and I wasn’t particularly concerned about the outcome.

Now that I’ve lambasted the book with that opening paragraph, I should say that there were certain things I liked. I liked Beau’
Carly
Mar 08, 2019 added it
Shelves: arc
A modern day retelling of beauty and the beast
This time the boy is "beauty" and the girl is the "beast". Its an easy read. I enjoyed it. I didnt really didnt get why she was considered the beast I think she was just really lonely and everyone was mean to her. Shes kind of sheltered but other than that shes ok.
Tanya Tate
I'm not going to lie.
From the summary, I like this twist of BATB and I would love to get a physical arc of it. lol
Samantha (WLABB)
While working off his family's debt, Beau was forced into proximity with Bett, aka The Beast, aka the spoiled rich girl. As they spent more and more time together, Beau began to see the real Bett underneath her beastly armor.

• Pro: Beau came from a wonderful family, whose motto was, "We don't got any luck but we gotta lot of love." And, the love among and between the members of this family radiated off the page and warmed my heart.

• Pro: Bett was a product of her environment. Between the grown
shannon✨
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
I received a copy through Netgalley in exchange for my honest review

An entertaining book with an important message underneath. The story itself was nothing spectacular, but I think the message that it carried is very important. Namely, not just judging people by how they act, because there usually is a reason for why they act in a specific way. The characters were fun to read about, so was the plot. But as I already said, it was nothing spectacular. The story was told solely from Beau's
Alex
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very good, I read it in two days with absolutely no want to set it down. I recommend this to anyone looking for a truly awesome story!
Emmi Rose  (emmirosereads)
If you know me you know how much I adore the Beauty and the Beast story and I'm a sucker for any retellings. Contemporary is always a hit or miss for me so I was nervous to start this. I feel like this could Have been a really fantastic book but unfortunately it didn't do it for me. I will say I probably wasn't the intended target audience and younger readers who love contemporary stories would love it more then me more than likely.

I feel like this book is just full of stereotypical teen drama a
Samantha
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: retellings
I received an ARC of this book from Edelweiss. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.

When Beau LeFrancois' mother gets into a car accident with Bettina Diaz, Beau ends up working off their debt at the Diaz Farm due to the LaFrancois' having no car insurance and no money to pay for damages. Bettina is known by her school as "The Beast" and has no actual friends. While working at the Diaz Farm, Beau gets to know Bett and starts to wonder if maybe she is not as bad as he's
Melanie  Brinkman
Aug 06, 2019 added it
Shelves: own-b
A tale as old as Time.

Trigger warning for assault.

When his mother wrecks Bett Diaz's car with no way to pay for it, Beau begins to work at the Diaz Ranch in exchange.

Beau's ready to work, but he's not prepared to deal with Bett "The Beast". As they get to know each other on the weekends Beau's working , their barriers breakdown. Will Beau find out that "The Beast" isn't truly so bad?

Beau and Bett was a sweet and fresh take on a well-known fairy tale. Full of family, friendship, and understanding
Emily
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2019
arc received from netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This... was incredibly underwhelming. Throughout the novel nothing developed.

I’m a big fan of beauty and the beast, so when I heard about this modern retelling I was honestly so excited. In this scenario the girl (Bett) is known as “the beast” but she.. isn’t even beast like in any way? People began hating her because she was the victim in a sexual assault scenario however she was not cruel or anything like the beast we are used to see
Megan Leprich
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you so much to Amberjack Publishing and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book for my review.

I’m all for fairytale retellings especially Beauty and the Beast ones as that’s my favorite Disney movie of all time. This was not my favorite retelling I’ve read but it was still pretty dang good.

Set in modern-day America, Beau meets the very spoiled Bett while working on her father’s ranch after his mom wrecks Bett’s super expensive SUV. Beau starts paying off his mom’s debt workin
Kajree Gautom
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Seeing that this was a modern Beauty and the Beast retelling, I was extremely excited to read it. More excited when I figured out that it had genderbent roles! Ah only if the book lived up to that excitement.

Bett's character was very boring. I couldn't sympathise with her and did not feel anything for her, really. I could not understand her motives, her feelings. She was just a lost cause, doing random stuff at random times.

For one, I could not understand why she was called the 'Beast' at her
Moon Love
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5-3.75 stars!

This is a very cute, very clean modern ya Beauty and the Beast re-telling. If I wasn't told it was a re-telling I might not think it was at all. It's a really loose iteration and I'm undecided if that's a good thing or not, so I'm not going to hold it against it.

I also don't know if it was the formatting or the third person point of view, but at times the book was awkward and hard to get into. I read it fairly quickly and enjoyed when it flowed smoothly. Beau is easy to like and
Jessica
This was a fairly quick read, but it took a lot to get into it, and then stay in it. I kept switching between this book and the other two books I've been reading, but I ended up just sitting down and finishing it so I could get through the story.

Overall, it was a good story, but unless you told me it was a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, I would have had a hard time picking up on that on my own. That being said, it was a good story on its own and didn't necessarily need to sit on the fairy ta
Mel
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
Pretty cute! I read a little too expectantly waiting for a particular Belle or Beast trait to come out in Beau or Bettina, so when overall the retelling wasn’t quite as overt as I’d expected, I was a little disappointed. BUT the gender reversal of the main characters and the modern day placement, focused on teenagers no less, circling around and falling for each other in the California sunshine, were cool and welcome. Beau’s narration was a little weak and overwrought (too “tell-y”) and it becam ...more
Jenni Bishop
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beau & Bett by Kathryn Berla is a contemporary telling of Beauty and the Beast. It is a tale  that you will either love or hate. The story is told in the male POV and this version of the  telling sets your mind as to the other characters, which once again you will either love or  hate. It is YA story and there is a role reversal of who the beauty was and who was the beast.  Unfortunately, I could only see a vague relationship between Beauty and the Beast and the  story did not grab me but that b ...more
Seema Rao
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Classic ~ Charming ~ Sedate
tl:dr: Beauty and the beast is in the eye of the beholder

This YA/ NA romance novel updates beaty and the beast into contemporary teen life. The beauty is a smart housekeeper's son and the beast a rich, snotty girl. The two spend time together outside the confines of high school only to first deal with some personal baggage and then fall in love. I love a remixed classic, and the characters, particularly the male protagonist, Beau, are appealing. While there isn't new g
Katie
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
“There’s a little bit of beast in every person. And in every beast, there’s a human heart with a story of how it got to that place...”

The last few lines of the last paragraph in this book LEGIT took my rating of this book up from a 3 to a 4. It hit my heart hard and was something I could relate to. I seriously LOVE the last paragraph ❤️

When I first started reading this, I thought it was a bit dry and all over the place. I didn’t give up on this book and I’m glad because it ended quite perfectly
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Sweetest Obsessions
  • Virtue & Vice (Spicetopia #2)
  • Proper Impulse
  • The Traitor, An Underground Bad Boys Series
  • Tails Always Wins (Chasing Tails #1)
  • Joined (Joined #1)
  • Kingdom of War
  • Siren's Call: Cursed Seas
  • Blackbird's Deliverance (Book Four)
  • The Gauntlet: The Soppranaturale Series
  • Orion's Kiss
  • Journeys Through SpaceTime
  • Fire & Ice (Spicetopia #3)
  • The Trouble with Paradise (Madeline Dawkins Mysteries Book 4)
  • Pieces of a Lie
  • Finding Ruth
  • Devil's Due (Satan's Devils MC: Colorado Chapter #3)
  • Murder Creek

News & Interviews

“It is possible to have your heart broken without the other person even realizing you exist.” 0 likes
“If you were lucky in love, you sure as hell were lucky in life.” 0 likes