Start by marking “We Are the Gardeners” as Want to Read:
We Are the Gardeners

We Are the Gardeners

Our journey as gardeners started with one small potted plant, but things did not go as planned. Turns out, trying something new isn't always easy, but sometimes, it's the hardest work that leads to the greatest reward.
Published March 26th 2019 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about We Are the Gardeners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Are the Gardeners

Start your review of We Are the Gardeners
Miranda Reads
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
description

A garden is hard work, but so is most of the good, important stuff in life.
Chip buys Joanna and her children a young fern.

At first, everything goes swimmingly...but then something tragic happens.
Having a little fern friend was fun, and the Gaines children decided that they want to do more.

But just because something is difficult, doesn't mean they are going
Brittany
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Garden adventures!

"By mistake, we loved that plant to death."

I am new to the gardening journey! You don't even want to know how many bamboo souls I have put to rest, unfortunately. I knew this CHILDREN'S book would have valuable information, be beautiful because it's written by the fabulous Joanna Gaines, and be funny because of her husband Chip's humor. The illustrator captured their lives perfectly! (Yes, even Wayne's coating inside her home and the layout of her garden/farm, the details are a
Kathryn
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
So... confession: I initially did not make the connection as to why this book had twenty-five holds at the library ahead of me when most of the other books I was looking up had maybe one or two at most. I was simply browsing the "gardening" titles in juvenile literature and came across it, thought the cover art looked charming, and placed my hold. Only after I got the book did I realize the author is *that* Joanna Gaines. Admittedly, I know who she is. I've seen the TV show in such places as doc ...more
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you to the publishers for the gifted review copy!

Really enjoyed this little book! so cute and perfect for children.
Yaritza
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you are planning to create your own garden then look no further. This book goes through how to plan your garden and the number of mishaps you can encounter in creating your garden and the after effects. Joanna and her children learned many lessons while first taking care of a fern and then deciding on creating an outdoor garden. I loved how this was a planned project together as a family and provided you with some great tips. Having your own garden lets you eat healthy fruits and vegetables w ...more
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This sort of book is my cup of tea, so to speak, because I love horticulture and the gardening world. There are so many life lessons one can learn through trial and error and the diligence of caring for plants and that is what this book really focuses on. The illustrations are soft and classically sweet. (The fern on the piano... I loved that page! )The only reason for my four star and not a full five stars is because at times I felt that the book was a little lengthier than it needed to be.

Fin
Jackie
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, 2019-read
I read for the simple fact that I am a fan of Joanna Gaines and well, it was free on Hoopla. Anyway, this was pretty cute and wholesome just like the family portrays themselves to be. She packs in several messages in this 40 page picture book, but it's mainly about working together as a family and perseverance through adversity. I'm not sure what the age range is for the book, but it maybe too wordy for younger kids. Although, I do think they can still enjoy it because the art work is really wel ...more
Hizatul Akmah
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
** Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with the digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest review **

Unlike when we overwatered, zero plants die from us talking too much.

uh oh, this is so cute i might wanna start gardening myself when i have the chance!! every step is easy to follow for dummies like me. i've lived in a household where gardening was a part of our everyday life so reading this book brought out bittersweet memories.

actual rating: 4.2/5 ⭐️
Sharah McConville
I have to admit I don't know the Gaines family as I'm not American but that didn't matter when reading this picture book. I enjoy gardening, so that's what drew me to this book. It contains the most beautiful illustrations. The best I have seen in a long time! The story is lovely and inspirational too. I would love to own a physical copy of this book. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my digital copy.
Briar's Reviews
I love gardening and I love children's picture books, so this book was a lovely, little read.

Gardening is hard work, and this book let's you know how our lead family became gardeners! They started small and worked their way up to a more difficult garden. Failure was welcome because you learn from each step! They learned that some plants only like to sip water, not devour it. The ferns did well, but some other plants were much more difficult and required specialized attention!

The colour palette
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Review first published on my blog, Nine Pages .

To read this one out loud, I cut sentences, I cut paragraphs, I cut pages. It was just long. Honestly, it was a chapter book trying to be a picture book. It would have benefited greatly from more editing. I suspect that Gaines was able to rely a bit on her celebrity to get the book that she wanted instead of the book that this could have been. I don’t need to know everything that happened in and to and before this garden to read a good story, nor
Sarah (sarahs_reads)
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m sure you’re all getting sick of my Joanna Gaines obsession. Now is the time to exit if you are. When I saw she was coming out with a children’s book, you know I had to immediately request it from the library.

I just recently started collecting children’s books to give away as gifts to family and to my teacher friends. Let me start by saying, this book was adorable. Joanna writes this heart-warming story about her children’s experience with gardening. It talks about their journey that include
Katelyn Marie
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not a great book for story time with toddlers...maybe for 6 and up. It is just too wordy and too much information for really young kids to understand at that age...
Terri
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I think this could’ve been a lot better. It read like a school report for 5th grade. Loved the idea, just wish it was developed more.
Stefanie Kellum
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I love the Gaines family, and this has beautiful illustrations, but it's kinda boring...and too long to read for library storytime.
Moonkiszt
Featured in our grandma reads session today.

Necessary information to motivate good behaviors. Gardening with the Gaines family - good message of the non-fatal aspects of everyday failures - they are part of life and opportunities to get back on the horse (or rebuild the garden) and grow your resiliency muscles. Mamas of these kids are big into gardening this year, so was a timely topic. Sweet illustrations, nice tale told from the kids POV.

3 stars. Well attended.
Mehsi
I received this picture book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

A very cute picture book about gardening and family. I fell in love with the cover, and just had to request it on Netgalley. And after reading I am even gladder that I got this book, because it was very sweet and gorgeously illustrated.

The book tells us about the Gaines family. How they first started with one little plant, a present for their mom, and how that grew to tons of plants in the home, eventually going outside.
Peacegal
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This little book is a true gem about family hobbies, rewarding work, solving problems, stick-to-it-ness--and of course, gardening! It has a wonderfully classic feel that will capture the imaginations of both kids and adults. Families will (hopefully) be clamoring to grow their own gardens after closing the back cover.

And I'll also say that I was very happy to see that when animals damage the garden, the family works together to build secure fencing to keep their veggies safe. There isn't talk o
Brenda
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very sweet book about learning to garden. Cute illustrations and a cute little addition shows up on page 29! This book stresses NOT GIVING UP, and shows the results of perseverance. A good lesson for anyone of any age.
Summer
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grayson loves this book. I really like it too! I like how it talks about trying again after you fail and doing better then you did before by researching, getting help and then doing your best. I also like how little miracles are mentioned. I also really enjoyed the illustrations. A good read!
Tracy J Hora
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely book. I didn't expect to like it so much. I love how it show failures and perseverance in growing their garden. I also enjoyed the connection to their growing family. Kids will connect with both.

Thank you Net Galley and Thomas Nelson Books for the digital copy.
Alexis DeJonge
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!!! The kids were enthralled. If you want kids to get excited about gardening, this is it.
Brittany
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
This was a really cute and quick audio with all the Gaines kids as narrators. I’m sure the illustrations in the physical copy are beautiful, as well.
Rachel
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Joanna Gaines’ We Are the Gardeners is an adorable story of, perseverance, and never giving up because failure is only a lesson we can grow from told through planting and maintaining a family garden.

The story line was simple and sweet, offering many life lessons as well as fun facts about nature and gardens. We have been talking about what we will be planting in our garden this year with our three year old, this story was a great accompaniment to these discussions. He was easily able to take hom
Janice Garey
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review Title: Joy of Family Gardening (review of We Are the Gardeners by Joanna Gaines and Kids)
Reviewer: Janice S. Garey
***** 5 Stars

This beautifully illustrated and delightfully told story of a family going through the ups and downs of learning to garden will inspire people of all ages to engage with plants. The family starts small scale with a potted fern from which they learn through failure to keep going on toward success by never giving up. Many life lessons are embedded in the story as th
Karen R
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Every hard thing we choose to do makes us braver for the next time."
A charming story told from the children's perspective about learning to grow a garden, and other lessons they picked up along the way. Love how the parents included the kids in planning and pointed them in the right direction, but let them do the work and gain confidence in themselves. Not giving up when things didn't go right, but starting over and learning from the experience, is such a good way to approach so many things. G
Marco
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a very wordy book about gardening and while older readers may enjoy the story of a family who gardens (based on the author's real life), younger readers would probably be more interested in another story.

Fans of the Gaines will of course flock to this book, but I wouldn't as an adult subject your kids to it if you're the only fan in the household just for that reason.

The illustrations are also a bit of a throw back, almost vintage, but most work and are whimsical. The story, while earnes
Sarah Dressler
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic book by Joanna Gaines! I just adore all the lovely books she's released so far. I listened to the audio and I also really enjoyed the narration- well done! My children are going to enjoy this little book that takes the mysterious science behind plants and teaches children while meandering through a lovely garden, grown by a child! I definitely recommend this when it releases! This will make a great book for car rides, listening to it while driving around town- kids can read alo ...more
Nicole Cunha
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
3.5 stars. ***

A good book to introduce kids to gardening...but beware the paragraphs of text! With this layout, it's certainly geared toward older kids- they break the child narration a couple times to explain pollination and all the critters that take care of the garden.

Then illustrations, though, are beautiful. If you have a younger reader, the illustrations provide ample playground for i-Spy or plant/ animal identification.
Isabelle
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, childrens
We Are The Gardeners by Joanna Gaines is a cute little book about the joys of gardening. It also teaches children not to give up when little setbacks happen but to persevere and push through until they succeed. The illustrations are very cute and the writing is easy to understand. I really enjoyed this book.

• Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt
  • Pillowland
  • Hummingbird
  • Once Upon a Goat
  • Camp Tiger
Joanna Gaines is co-owner, co-founder and lead designer of Magnolia Homes, and co-stars in HGTV’s Fixer Upper with her husband Chip Gaines. She is the mother of five and lives in Waco, Texas. ...more

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...