Start by marking “We Are the Gardeners” as Want to Read:
We Are the Gardeners

We Are the Gardeners

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

In We Are the Gardeners, Joanna and the kids chronicle the adventures of starting their own family garden. From their failed endeavors, obstacles to overcome (bunnies that eat everything!), and all the knowledge they've gained along the way, the Gaines family shares how they learned to grow a happy, successful garden. As it turns out, trying som
Published March 26th 2019 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about We Are the Gardeners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Are the Gardeners

Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you to the publishers for the gifted review copy!

Really enjoyed this little book! so cute and perfect for children.
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This sort of book is my cup of tea, so to speak, because I love horticulture and the gardening world. There are so many life lessons one can learn through trial and error and the diligence of caring for plants and that is what this book really focuses on. The illustrations are soft and classically sweet. (The fern on the piano... I loved that page! )The only reason for my four star and not a full five stars is because at times I felt that the book was a little lengthier than it needed to be.

Fin
Sarah (sarahs_reads)
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m sure you’re all getting sick of my Joanna Gaines obsession. Now is the time to exit if you are. When I saw she was coming out with a children’s book, you know I had to immediately request it from the library.

I just recently started collecting children’s books to give away as gifts to family and to my teacher friends. Let me start by saying, this book was adorable. Joanna writes this heart-warming story about her children’s experience with gardening. It talks about their journey that include
Jackie
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read, e-books
I read for the simple fact that I am a fan of Joanna Gaines and well, it was free on Hoopla. Anyway, this was pretty cute and wholesome just like the family portrays themselves to be. She packs in several messages in this 40 page picture book, but it's mainly about working together as a family and perseverance through adversity. I'm not sure what the age range is for the book, but it maybe too wordy for younger kids. Although, I do think they can still enjoy it because the art work is really wel ...more
Mehsi
I received this picture book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

A very cute picture book about gardening and family. I fell in love with the cover, and just had to request it on Netgalley. And after reading I am even gladder that I got this book, because it was very sweet and gorgeously illustrated.

The book tells us about the Gaines family. How they first started with one little plant, a present for their mom, and how that grew to tons of plants in the home, eventually going outside.
Katelyn Marie
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not a great book for story time with toddlers...maybe for 6 and up. It is just too wordy and too much information for really young kids to understand at that age...
Brenda
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very sweet book about learning to garden. Cute illustrations and a cute little addition shows up on page 29! This book stresses NOT GIVING UP, and shows the results of perseverance. A good lesson for anyone of any age.
Summer
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grayson loves this book. I really like it too! I like how it talks about trying again after you fail and doing better then you did before by researching, getting help and then doing your best. I also like how little miracles are mentioned. I also really enjoyed the illustrations. A good read!
GONZA
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't know that this family is famous (not living in the U.S. and so on, but I strongly recommend this book to children (and adults) to learn about the struggle of having plants and flowers.

Non sapevo che questa fosse una famiglia famosa (non vivendo negli Stati Uniti e non guardando la tv), ma mi sento di raccomandare questo libro ai bambini ( e anche agli adulti) per imparare come sia difficile prendersi cura di piante e fiori.

THANKS NETGALLEY FOR THE PREVIEW!
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Review first published on my blog, Nine Pages .

To read this one out loud, I cut sentences, I cut paragraphs, I cut pages. It was just long. Honestly, it was a chapter book trying to be a picture book. It would have benefited greatly from more editing. I suspect that Gaines was able to rely a bit on her celebrity to get the book that she wanted instead of the book that this could have been. I don’t need to know everything that happened in and to and before this garden to read a good story, nor d
Marco
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a very wordy book about gardening and while older readers may enjoy the story of a family who gardens (based on the author's real life), younger readers would probably be more interested in another story.

Fans of the Gaines will of course flock to this book, but I wouldn't as an adult subject your kids to it if you're the only fan in the household just for that reason.

The illustrations are also a bit of a throw back, almost vintage, but most work and are whimsical. The story, while earnes
Peacegal
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This little book is a true gem about family hobbies, rewarding work, solving problems, stick-to-it-ness--and of course, gardening! It has a wonderfully classic feel that will capture the imaginations of both kids and adults. Families will (hopefully) be clamoring to grow their own gardens after closing the back cover.

And I'll also say that I was very happy to see that when animals damage the garden, the family works together to build secure fencing to keep their veggies safe. There isn't talk o
Nicole Cunha
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
3.5 stars. ***

A good book to introduce kids to gardening...but beware the paragraphs of text! With this layout, it's certainly geared toward older kids- they break the child narration a couple times to explain pollination and all the critters that take care of the garden.

Then illustrations, though, are beautiful. If you have a younger reader, the illustrations provide ample playground for i-Spy or plant/ animal identification.
Tracy J Hora
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely book. I didn't expect to like it so much. I love how it show failures and perseverance in growing their garden. I also enjoyed the connection to their growing family. Kids will connect with both.

Thank you Net Galley and Thomas Nelson Books for the digital copy.
Terri
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I think this could’ve been a lot better. It read like a school report for 5th grade. Loved the idea, just wish it was developed more.
Shari Keller
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We LOVED this book!
Alexis DeJonge
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!!! The kids were enthralled. If you want kids to get excited about gardening, this is it.
Shiloah
Lovely book! Practical story with tips and solutions. Lovely illustrations—dainty and detailed.
Shauna
Cute, but there's nothing new here. I think we can safely chalk all the hype surrounding this book up to the author's celebrity status.
Taryn
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, storybook
Beautiful illustrations and lovely story, but too long and verbose for a children's picture book. (I sometimes wonder if editors are too hesitant to edit when an author is famous and a non-writer. I see this sometimes with poorly constructed and poorly edited memoirs as well (i.e., Amy Poehler). They might be protecting the author's feelings but the readers aren't helped nor is the author's reputation.)
Lis Ann - The Indigo Quill
See full review at The Indigo Quill

I had a rough weekend in the garden. I’ve been planning and planning a strategy since Fall and just finally started seeing my seeds sprouting in the greenhouse. Unfortunately, most of Middle Tennessee was under a wind advisory for the next 24 hours. I was inside the greenhouse when a major gust of wind came hurling against every solid object it could find. It became so windy, the above-ground pool lifted up and flew against the house.

It wasn't even ten minutes
Alysha Martinez
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Nonfiction *Free Choice
Awards: None
Audience: 4-8 years old

A. The topic of this book is about Joanna Gaines' kids learning how to take care of indoor plants and eventually working with their whole family to create, build, and take care of a big garden. This book shows the learning process of trial and error as well as perseverance. When things go wrong, the kids don't give up and keep trying. The kids all work together and enjoy having their own responsibility of taking care of the garden.
Pretty Little Bibliophile
We Are the Gardeners was a quite short but interesting read. I think it will prove to be a really powerful and influential read for children. We often say that a child’s mind is like a blank space and so it is easy to influence them. This book, with its wonderful illustrations, is the perfect gift for the little eons in your life.
One of the most important things that it focuses upon is the necessity of hard work and perseverance and how significant they are – we need to inculcate them if we ever
Andrea
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s, net-galley
*I received this book from NetGalley in return for a honest review*

I have recently become very interested in building a garden and yesterday for my birthday my husband and I set out to do just that. We bought a small upright garden bed as well as a few small ceramic pots, dirt, and a bunch of seeds good for growing in small spaces. We worked with the dirt and planted the seeds and now we just have to sit and wait. We fully know that this might be a complete failure, but if we are able to get a s
Lauren DuPrez
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We Are the Gardeners is the first book by Joanna Gaines and her children. This book tells the story of how the Gaines children became interested in gardening after their dad brought a fern home. The children began watering the fern multiple times a day and over time, the fern died. The children were disappointed but learned the important lesson of never giving up. This book takes illustrations to the next level. In true Magnolia style, this book is beautiful and worth purchasing for the artwork ...more
Andrea
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this book. I expected to like it, but it really is so darn cute. The illustrations kill me—they are so fun and beautiful. They are colorful, silly, soft, and just lovely. There's even shiplap (for the Fixer Upper fans). Seriously, I could "read" this book just by looking at the pictures.

The text didn't wow me. It's written with a pretty casual, young tone from the perspective of children. As such, there's a sweet simplicity to it that I think matches the main characters and will resonate wi
Alicia Bayer
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a sweet little picture book about a family that falls in love with growing plants and eventually grows a successful garden, after some missteps.

The artwork is my favorite part of the book. The illustrations are lovely. The text is a little long to hold the attention of some children, and a little unnecessarily wordy. It's lacking in the really good story telling of great children's authors. The author is a famous reality TV personality, and I'm guessing the book deal was because of that
Jeanie
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, gift
We keep a little fern on the piano to remind us of our small beginnings. Every time we water it, we're reminded not to give up when things don't work out the first time. Because the thing is, whether one potted fern dies or half of the garden is wiped out by little critters, every failure or setback teaches us something. Dad says that every hard thing we choose to do MAKES US BRAVER for the next time.

A garden can teaches us many life lessons and with the Gaines way of keeping community in the f
Leeya
This is clearly one of my favorite kids books! The illustrations are gorgeous!!!
I am much more likely to buy a book or read a children's book over and over again if I like what I am looking at. And I love looking through this book.

Gaines tells us an incredibly charming story about a family that discovers their love for gardening. They start off by caring for a small potted fern and end up with a beautiful garden. The book explains how plants grow and what goes into planning and planting a garden
Princess
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have always dreamed of having my own garden and this book has been really inspiring. It is such a fun read, and perfect for a read-along with kids. The voice/narration does not exactly sound like children’s fiction but it is beautifully illustrated, with lots of lovely lessons like perseverance, hard work and patience. It‘s a beautiful, wholesome read that will add value to any family’s reading/bonding sessions.

Big thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing a copy of this wonderful b
Joanna Gaines is co-owner, co-founder and lead designer of Magnolia Homes, and co-stars in HGTV’s Fixer Upper with her husband Chip Gaines. She is the mother of five and lives in Waco, Texas.