Start by marking “Shadowmancer (Paladin Charm #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadowmancer (Paladin Charm #1)

Shadowmancer

(Paladin Charm #1)

Marius Everhart is something even mages fear — a shadowmancer. His power marks him as cursed, a creature belonging to the Queen of Shadows. Marius escaped her realm with his memories corrupted and his sanity in tatters, managing to live a fragile, lonely existence at the edges of society.

Some might call Ayodele Sauveterre delusional. He prefers the term “optimistic”. Wit
Published March 5th 2019 by October Night Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Shadowmancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowmancer

Start your review of Shadowmancer (Paladin Charm #1)
Deborah
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it

I found this to be an enjoyable fantasy. I liked both the world building and the characters but the romance part just felt too rushed for me.

Marius Everhart is cursed. He wanders alone hungry and tired. Not even able to trust his own mind. He’s feared wherever he goes.
He belongs to the Queen of Shadows. Having escaped her realm with the ability to control Shadows he’s incredibly powerful. He’s a shadowmancer.

Ayodele Sauveterre needs help. He needs a shadowmancer and Marius seems perfect. He ju
Christelle
First book in what seems to be a new MM romantic fantasy series. For fans of fantasy, magic, some action and MM romance.

The premises ? In a world divided in cities, some powerful and controlling, some wealthy, some needing protection, Marius is a shadowmancer, ie he can summon shadows. For that, he is much feared. He was abducted by the Queen of Shadows, but managed to escape and tries to find a refuge. That finally happens when he meets Ayodele, a powerful mage who chose to protect his home-cit
Truuss Loveislovereview
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, lgbtq
Marius and Ayodele

Okey this should definitely be a movie!! Goshh I had goosebumps more than once. All the magic. It was overwhelming.

Marius Everhart is on the run, hiding for the Queen of Shadows, hiding so she can’t take him back into the shadows. He is so lonely and hurt. He is a Shadowmancer, controller of powerful shadows, and there isn’t a soul who isn’t afraid of him. Well, uhm.. except one, Ayodele!

Ayodele gives Marius shelter in return for help with his powers. Ayodele head and creator o
Cadiva
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Only my second time reading this author and there's lots of things to be positive about including a very interesting premise and look at magic.

I enjoyed the majority of this book but felt, overall, that it was a little bit rushed and the romance element in particular felt like it needed just a little bit more time taking with it.

The conflicts all came from Marius' unusual magic type, something supposedly very powerful and dangerous but he himself was such a sweet-hearted man that all those oppos
Ann
Shadowmancer’s Marius had me hooked from the first chapter. The author built this character that grabs you by your empathy and doesn’t let go and I didn’t want him to. Marius is a shadowmancer, he’s a human who was kidnapped by the Queen of Shadows and given magic that is powerful and frightening and the life he leads in the shadows is slowly destroying his mind. When we meet him at the beginning of Shadowmancer he’s managed to escape back to the human world, all kinds of mentally damaged, and w ...more
Micah
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a fun book. The magic & world building were the highlights of the book for me. Particularly, when the magic was put into use in fight scenes. I was just captivated by it and on the edge of my seat. Also props to the author for including diversity in this book. It’s much needed in this genre. This would’ve been a 4star book for me but the romance subplot kind of killed the whole vibe. It just felt so inconsequential & way too rushed & I kind of skipped over those pages if I’m being hones ...more
Achim
2.5
I love the cover and usually a character like Marius would have all my sympathy but I Ayo was difficult. It started quite nice but I couldn't feel their connection and suddenly their world felt more outlined than fully created and although the story is full of magic the language is not.
Joyfully Jay
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sue
A Joyfully Jay review.

Shadowmancer was an intriguing mix of fantasy and magic that tried hard, but ultimately fell a bit short. Let’s start with the positives. The premise of Shadowmancer is an interesting one and the author has done a great job setting up a cast of characters that work well together. Marius has been used and hurt for a long time before he meets Ayodele. So he’s rather fragile and the idea of finding a home at Paladin Charm is like a dream for him. He’s easy to champio
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, trr, romance
SHADOWMANCER is the first book in the Paladin Charm series, and we meet Marius, the Shadowmancer in question. He was human, until he was taken by the Queen of Shadows. She changed him, and he now has more power than he knows what to do with. He is a gentle soul who is struggling with the loneliness his powers bring. Along comes Ayo, someone who has had a very different upbringing, but his heart is in the right place... most of the time.

This was a fantastic introduction to this world of city-stat
Skye Kilaen
I've read three of Devin Harnois's books now - Darkness at Dawn, Undaunted, and Shadowmancer - and I think one of his greatest strengths is worldbuilding that draws from familiar elements (vampires, mages, post-apocalyptic monsters) but does fresh and interesting things with them. So if you're looking for a fantasy romance about mages that's not the same thing you've read before, give this one a try. I did feel like this would have benefitted from a bit more length to let the romance develop - e ...more
Valerie
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC with a request for an honest review.

Overall I really enjoyed this story. I had a few issues with the relationships feeling a bit rushed. But, I think this is more to do with the short format than the actual writing. Short stories and novellas often feel rushed to me.

That said, the author maintained good tension throughout the story, I enjoyed the world building, and I really enjoyed the overall story arc. Definitely will be seeking out more stories in this world.

There is a not
Erica
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this, overall. There were some random anachronisms which drew me out of the story from time to time, and the ending was a bit rushed. But the ideas were solid, and the writing was competent, so I'll look forward to trying out the next one.
Elaine White

Shadowmancer: Paladin Charm, Book 1, by Devin Harnois
★★★★★
189 Pages
POV: 3rd person, dual character

Shadowmancer is one of those dazzling fantasy novels that takes your breath away effortlessly, while weaving you into a magical world unlike anything you've ever known before. It has heart, fire, strength and the power to sweep you off your feet without you even noticing. I loved every second of it. Although Devin Harno
DC
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting world comprised of “city-states” each ruled by a king but with the more powerful controlled by mage guilds and the lesser city-states containing or banning magic, thus making them vulnerable to attack from their powerful neighbors.

At the beginning we meet Marius, who is a shadowmancer that escaped the Shadow Realm, a dark parallel world ruled by the Shadow Queen. The Shadow Queen kidnaps humans and controls and toys with them by manipulating their memories. So when Marius escapes, he
Meg
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 🌟 rounded up

This is a really great fantasy story. It has a unique plotline that kept me engaged throughout the book. I really enjoyed the writing style; it was descriptive and flowed naturally.

This is a world where mages hold all the power. The majority of the time, it is used to gain riches, land, or more power. The city-states usually have a guild of mages that they wield like a weapon. The guilds are cruel and ruthless in their pursuits.

However, in a bid to save the city-state he was sent
Em
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f, m-m, romance
I received an ARC of this book from the author

This is one of those reviewing-for-myself-or-for-other-people things. Honestly I wasn't into it, but I'm so sure that it was mostly a me thing I don't feel good giving a really low rating. But at the same time I can only report my own feelings and they are what they are? So 3 stars, and I'm just trying to be fair to the book as much as I can.

This is a fantasy/paranormal world with a romance between the MCs, but honestly it didn't read much like a rom
空
May 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Michelle
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
There are so many anime-ish elements to this book, from the name Paladin Charm, to Ayodel being a near perfect replica of Tiger & Bunny's Fire Emblem (Nathan Seymour), and Varinia's summoned rabbit spirit. Marius having incredible shadow magic, and a tortured back story fits into this anime like story perfectly. The flow of the story is very much timed in the same way. Ayodel is trying to save his homeland from conquest from his past guild, Serpent Fang, but his homeland fears magicians so there ...more
Ali
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review An Alisa Review:

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

This was a great beginning to a new series. Marius is feared for what he is, even if it isn’t something he can change and he is just like a puppy underneath. Ayodele lived under a guild that he now wants to fight against while trying to convince those in his homeland that magic (and Marius) aren’t necessarily bad.

This was a very interesting world, though at times I wished I would have more background, I felt I wa
Isabeau Delaunay
DNF at 25%. There's a lot of promise associated with this book. I love that it's a mm story told in a fantasy world with an interesting magic system and some dark, traumatic elements for the characters to deal with. I like that there's representation for darker skin people (not sure race works the same way in this world, but intriguing). But I kinda lost interest. I couldn't believe the two main characters, Ayodele and Marius, were already together! Who knows, I might come back to this one, but ...more
Dixiecowgirl
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!! Terrific world-building with and incredible story-line and awesome characters. I loved this story! I got totally caught in the magic and romance of this story! Awesome writing and great story-telling!

Marius and Ayodele are very special together and i totally fell in love with them. The entire group of characters that make up the Guild are amazing and i so want to know more about them.

I cannot wait until the next story. This book ends with a HFN and no cliffhanger, but it does give
Pandora  Phoenix
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
FINALLY!
An M/M book with a black MC who isn't poorly portrayed. In fact, the black MC is believably faaaabulous. It's sadly poorly portrayed but think of your most fabulous drag queen when they are not working (an almost flamboyant persona) and it helps clean up what the author was attempting to convey in the character.
Don't get me wrong, this book is 3 stars at best due to the poor writing and shallow worldbuilding but just the fact that it has a black MC and doesn't make him either a bumblin
John Altman

(10) The Writing speaks for itself: 3

Total Rating: 2.4 out of 5 👎
caroline wilson
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good

I received this book by the author and this is my honest opinion.
This is a new to me author but I love fantasy and magic so gave it a try. It was good, I liked how the author portrayed the characters and world and which were explained excellently so that it was easy to imagine. It took me a bit of time to get into the book but once hooked I thoroughly enjoyed the intrigue and imagination. The cover is really nice, all in all a well thought out book and one for fantasy lovers
Sherry L.
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Shadow Queen is coming...

I know these things to be true: Paladin Charm has wonderful magical members, Marius is broken and needs Ayo to help him heal, and Ayo is a mage very confident in himself and the members of his guild. Loved the book and characters can't wait for the next one.
PaperMoon
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The fight against the baddies are a little too "neat and easy"for my liking; for all the imputed threat of the dreaded arrival of the Queen of Shadows - the subsequent fight/encounter seemed almost an afterthought stuck to the end of this HFN title. Not sure if I would get the next book in the series.
James Hardison
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice Story - Kinda Bland Characters

The story is good and moved at a fast clip, but all of the characters (with a very few exceptions) are so super sweet and nice that they come across as a little bland. I will be picking up the next book, so I can't be too upset with them. They all are rather lovable.
Kelly
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was good story. The one improvement that could have been made would to let us get to know the other members of the guild more. I was intrigued by all of them, including their powers and stories. I think that would have made the story richer, as well.

The MCs are awesome, and the action is just the right amount of intense. This is awesome!
Ivy
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was my first time with Devin Harnois and definately not the last. I enjoyed this book a lot.
The story and the plot were good and captivating, the MCs interesting and loveable, and I love the universe of the book.
It's definately a series I will follow and can't wait for the next book.
AllAboutThoseBooks
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Strong World Building

Likable main characters, although our mage is recovering from a spoiled childhood and can be annoying at moments. The story is well crafted, although there were moments of "and then magic things happened." Recommend.

• How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • Stalked by Shadows (A Simply Crafty Paranormal Mystery, #1)
  • Misfit Mage (Fledgling God #1)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • Lightbearer
  • Prince of Death (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • The Dragon Hunter's Son
  • The Enchanter's Soul (The Ellwood Chronicles #2)
  • Poisonwood (Poisonwood & Lyric #1)
  • Happy Endings (Demon Magic #1)
  • Jon's Crazy Head-Boppin' Mystery (Jon's Mysteries, #2)
  • Brandon's Very Merry Haunted Christmas (Mack's Marvelous Manifestations, #1)
  • The Sea (The Knight and the Necromancer #3)
  • Mind Magic  (Triad, #1)
  • How to Elude a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #2)
  • First Moon (Four Moons #1)
  • Jon's Spooky Corpse Conundrum (Jon's Mysteries, #3)
Devin Harnois has several published novels and he’d have more if he spent less time on Twitter and playing Dragon Age. Most of his books involve magic, monsters, and hope. They're also getting progressively more queer. He collects skull items and only a strong will prevents his apartment from being overrun by them.

In second grade he wrote his first story, a romance about two mice falling in love.