Start by marking “Dead Moon (Threshold, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dead Moon (Threshold, #3)

Dead Moon

(Threshold #3)

In the year 2243, the Moon belongs to the dead.

The largest graveyard in the solar system, it was the perfect solution to the overcrowding and environmental problems that had plagued mankind for centuries. And the perfect place for Cali Washington to run away from her past.

But when a mysterious meteor crashes into one of the Moon’s cemeteries, Cali and her fellow Caretake
Audible Audio, 400 pages
Published February 14th 2019 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Dead Moon, please sign up.
Major Peter Clines says in his FAQ on his blog that it will be "exclusively with Audible for six months."

Start your review of Dead Moon (Threshold, #3)
Kylie Westaway
Feb 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
I could hardly wait for this book to come out, but I was so disappointed with it. I’m not really into horror fiction, but 14 lead to the Cthulhu ending so slowly, with such fantastic build up and mystery, that I didn’t mind when it took that unexpected twist. I loved 14, and also enjoyed The Fold. Dead Moon is a straight up zombie story, without even the benefit of likable characters to keep you interested. 14 did such a perfect job of gradually introducing you to a huge cast of fantastic charac ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/04/25/...

I’ve really enjoyed Peter Clines’ books in the Threshold series so far (14 and The Fold) which was why I was excited when I found out that he would be releasing a third book as an audio exclusive with Audible. While all these stories appear to take place in the same world, any connections between them are immaterial to their individual plots so each one can be read as a standalone. As such, I wasn’t too surprised to disc
Brandon
Feb 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was so excited for this book. I loved both 14 and The Fold. This feels like it was written by someone else. It's blatant zombie story, and a poor one at that. I was expecting something similar to the first two books and what I got was disappointment. The character building, story, and writing falls so short of the first two books it's like someone with a zombie obsession wrote fan-fiction that somehow got accidentally published with Peter's name on it. It doesn't feel connected to the setting ...more
Donna Backshall
Space zombies, but not from a plague? This beats even the movie Dead Snow for horror originality.

A new twist in what has become a very tired genre was exactly what I needed. I'll admit to being wary, but it didn't take long for me to realize this fresh take was definitely going to satisfy.

Now I can finally crack open Threshold #4, Terminus. This is going to be good.
Sci-Fi & Scary
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I desperately wanted to like this so much more than I did. I guess what I should have remembered is that I wasn't immensely fond of the 2nd book in the series. I enjoyed it at the beginning, lost interest through the middle, and loved the heck out of the last 40 minutes or so when tentacles and mayhem got involved.

Full review to come later.
Narilka
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, read-in-2019
Dead Moon is the third book in the Threshold universe by Peter Clines. Yes "universe" and not "series". While taking place in the same universe as 14 and The Fold, this story is completely unrelated to those books with only one very loose connection. Dead Moon definitely works well as a stand alone and won't spoil any of the surprises from the previous two books should you want to pick this one up first. With that out of the way....

The year is 2243. The Moon has become the largest graveyard in t
Megan
This seems more like a stand-alone-zombie work than it does as part of the Threshold series. I am a huge fan of Clines, but I find I either love his books or fall somewhere in the middle (usually due to the plot). That is how I felt about Paradox Bound, whereas I loved 14, The Fold, and Dead Men Can't Complain. Having said that, I think this story would have fared better in how it was received by reviewers/listeners had it been marketed as a stand-alone and not part of Threshold. Granted, I am o ...more
Greg
Mar 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Peter Clines is good for light and accessible reads, generally fun and even sometimes funny. Even if 14 was exceptionally silly, (Tesla secretly keeping world eating monsters at bay with a byzantine machine), it made for a pretty entertaining ride. The Fold surprised me. It wasn't marketed it as a sequel to 14, so I bought it on a whim and was somewhat surprised that it was a sequel of sorts, and again followed the pattern of silly but entertaining, character driven. I was going to keep this as ...more
Jen (LOHF/Book Den)
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy
I'm going to jump straight into the selling point of Dead Moon: zombies on the moon! Well, that and the fact that it was written by Peter Clines and narrated by Ray Porter. The only other Peter Clines books I've read are 14 and Ex-Heroes, but I loved them - especially 14.

Dead Moon is part of the same series as 14, but the Threshold series is comprised of stand alone books. They can absolutely be read independent of each other. (Some day I need to go back and read book 2!)

I don't have a lot to sa
Karen’s Library
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well that was fun. What’s not to love about a book about living and working on the Moon? Or about tourism on the moon? It’s been my dream to travel in space to the moon, or to Mars, so that I can experience the effect of no or low gravity. But then... Peter Clines writes a book about Zombies... On the moon. So, ummmm, let’s rethink my dream of going to the moon.

I actually love a good zombie story and this was a good unique premise about the moon’s locals trying to fight zombies while staying al
Marj
One flaw I’ve noticed in the previous two books in this series is how similar (and nearly perfect) the main dude characters are. I let it go because I still found them and the story fascinating.

Dead Moon stars Callie who has recently given up on her dream of being a ballerina. She is talented and clever, but doesn’t immediately do everything right. I loved her (and this book) from a moment early on when a dude comes on to her in an awkward and all-too-real way and I let out a loud sigh of exasp
Mau Orozco
Mar 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Peter Clines is one of my favourite authors of all time, “14” is one of my favourite books of all time so I’m sad to confirm that Dead Moon is not good. Tying it to the other 2 books in the series was not a good idea, but even as a stand-alone story, this is slow, confusing and not a lot of fun. I agree with other reviewers reasons as to why this is the case, but I have to say these really frustrated me:

*** Spoilers ***

(view spoiler)
Jen
Wow. Zombies on the moon? Yep, they're already dead so it essentially makes no difference! The way Clines justifies their existence is the real draw here. The characters are engaging and you're rooting for them in every situation. In one instance, I was certain a key character would die as Clines described the absolute limits of the human body in space! I was up until 3AM because I couldn't stop listening - I couldn't go to sleep because I was so caught up in the suspense.

So generally speaking,
Major
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Dead Moon is a pretty good story that takes place in Peter Clines Threshold universe, but it is not in my opinion Book three of the series that started with 14 and then The Fold. If that is what you are expecting then you will be disappointed.

What you will get with Dead Moon is an entertaining eleven and a half hour listen. I liked it, but yes, I was disappointed. It is tied in with the other two books in the way Stephen King will tie his novels to his Dark Tower, or the way Derry and Castle Roc
Faith
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio
The description should have said this was a zombie book. Had I known that, I certainly wouldn’t have bought it, and probably wouldn’t even have borrowed it from the library.
Soo
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mini-Review on 1/28/20:

Rating Raised from 4 to 4.5 Stars + Added to Favorites

4.5 Stars for Narration by Ray Porter
4.5 Stars for Characters
4 Stars for Plot Progression (After all the lumpy ones I've read, it's nice to read one that isn't.)

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about how authors weave details into the story and how much I appreciate & admire the ones that make relevant impact to the story in multiple points. Especially in a series. I have a lot of give in my rating when I note how well
John Vance
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Holy crap this was bad. I’ve made this complaint in several reviews of Clines books but he cannot write women. It is horribly distracting as I constantly think to myself “Literally no woman would react to this situation that way”. There are scenes that that are supposed to be tense and fraught and then a woman character’s ass is referred to as being curvy or something I don’t give a shit about. I haven’t even mentioned the well trodden zombie tropes that are used in this. It was infuriating. I u ...more
Josh
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is pretty much every zombie movie you've ever seen - cliche after cliche, from incompetent people standing in shock as the monsters come to get them, to the disbelieving mayor who refuses to signal for help until its too late. The only thing that separates this from a zillion other zombie stories is that it takes place on the moon, so you have to add the effects of low gravity and vacuum. Those traits are woefully inadequate to turn this into a great story, and the lackluster attempt at the ...more
Catie
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book and I loved it. Peter Clines has yet to write anything that I haven't enjoyed. I love seeing the main character be a strong female. Such a fantastic book. ...more
Bradley Valentine
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ouch! Looks like there aren't a lot of fans of this book. It's not a bad book, but not particularly good either. And frankly I never would have read a zombie book had Peter Clines name not been on it.

My problems with the book are a little different than some of the other reviewers. Aside from reminding me of not so compelling recent space movies (that Cloverfield movie in space comes to mind), I also found several beats in the book unconvincing. Like the whole moon as a graveyard thing. Really?
Curt
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I started to write this review, I was going to score it at 2 stars. Promoted as the 3rd in a trilogy started by "14" and "The Fold" it did not feel as though it was connected at all to the previous two books. The realization that they actually were related came only after I finished the book and began reflecting on it in preparation for this review.

Just like the first two books, I really had to pay attention to recognize that the books were related. In The Fold, Pine made the link a bit mor
Kacy❁
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was really excited for this to come out, only to have my excitement crushed. It had so much potential to be amazing!

I can sum it up in one word. Disappointment.

You would think a horror sci-fi would be overflowing with entertainment...I was bored. The characters will dull and I had zero interest in them and that doesn't happen often. Ray Porter narrating was honestly the only good thing about the book.
Patrick Casebeer
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
More of a 3.5 stars actually. I love almost everything this author does and this was no exception. Zombies on the moon....yes! Although they were a piece of it and not the meat, which he said later was on purpose, it was still fun.

The alien brain eating people and outsmarting them and using voices and all that seemed a bit much at times but hey, let your imagination go and have fun. I guess it’s no different than a world with super heroes AND zombies right??
Ole Andreasen
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ole
Fantastic story. I love it. Great Clines story - great Porter reading too. Only problem is that now I have to wait a loong time for the next Clines book.
Michael Hicks
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
My review of Dead Moon can be found at High Fever Books.

Zombies on the moon!

That basic, low-level pitch either just sealed the deal for you and you’re ready to click Buy Now, or it made you groan derisively with a reflexive “Dear god, not another freaking zombie book!” Depending on if your instincts followed either the first or the second reaction, there’s probably little more I need to tell you about Dead Moon, an Audible Original written by Peter Clines exclusively for audiobook release by Aud
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
My favorite of the series. In many ways, it reminded me the scariest episode of "The Nightstalker" (that 70's era TV show with Darren McGavin and the beat up Mustang) where the werewolf was loose on cruise ship and the only silver were the silver buttons on the Captain's dress uniform. The first strong female character of the series that was not a villain (though there were some honorable mentions in the first book). The connection to the first book is there, you just have to think and remember ...more
Todd Oliver
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this book and the excellent narration by Ray Porter, but I was also a little disappointed. The story was good and I would have rated it higher if the author hadn't made this part of the series with 14 and The Fold. With 14 and The Fold, the story takes place on Earth and opens a portal into another place where Cthulhu still exists. Dead Moon takes place on the moon in the year 2243 and has space zombies and part of a brain like thing that is growing into an old monster, possibly Cthu ...more
Lars Dradrach
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Clines finally has decided to combine his 2 franchises Threshold (14 & the fold) and ex-heroes into one storyline.

Normally I would argue that adding too many elements together is a recipe for disaster, so zombies, alien monsters and graveyards on the moon shouldn’t fit together, but somehow it does.

Dead moon is closer to ex-heroes than 14 in style and pacing even if it’s set in the threshold universe but the style and the female protagonist suits the story.

It’s a quick paced action filled fun st
Russ
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, lovecraftian
My cousin recommended Clines' books to me. I listened to all three of his "Threshold" series books pretty much right after each other. Clines has become one of my favorite authors pretty quickly. Dead Moon was no exception.
(view spoiler)
Chip
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Characters: 4.5*
Plot: 3.8*
Universe: 3*

I really enjoyed the first two books in the series, but this one felt somehow lacking. The plot progressed and the characters were well-developed, but somehow this book in the series just didn't seem to fit as well into the Threshold universe...plus, I miss the characters I've already come to know in the first two books.
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add Dead Moon to the Threshold Series 3 30 Jan 12, 2019 09:45AM

• Heaven's River (Bobiverse, #4)
  • Outland
  • Mount Fitz Roy
  • Murder by Other Means (The Dispatcher, #2)
  • NPC
  • Feedback
  • Bewilderness Part Two: What Rough Beast
  • The Vexed Generation (Magic 2.0 #6)
  • Bewilderness Part One: Threshold
  • Alexander X (Battle For Forever Book 1)
  • A Change of Plans
  • Homefront (Expeditionary Force, #7.5)
  • Flux
  • Space Force
  • Armageddon (Expeditionary Force Book 8)
  • Infinite (Infinite #1)
  • The Case of the Damaged Detective (5-Minute Sherlock, #1)
  • The Singularity Trap
Peter Clines is the author of the genre-blending -14- and the Ex-Heroes series.

He grew up in the Stephen King fallout zone of Maine and--inspired by comic books, Star Wars, and Saturday morning cartoons--started writing at the age of eight with his first epic novel, Lizard Men From The Center of The Earth(unreleased).

He made his first writing sale at age seventeen to a local newspaper,

Threshold (4 books)
  • 14 (Threshold, #1)
  • The Fold (Threshold, #2)
  • Terminus (Threshold, #4)

News & Interviews