Start by marking “No Dragons for Tea: Fire Safety for Kids (and Dragons)” as Want to Read:
No Dragons for Tea: Fire Safety for Kids (and Dragons)

No Dragons for Tea: Fire Safety for Kids

(Dragon Safety Books)

While out for a walk with her mom, a little girl has the surprise of her life --- she meets a real, live, fire-breathing dragon! Now this dragon is nothing to be afraid of --- in fact, he's so friendly that she invites him home for tea. But their afternoon snack is suddenly interrupted when the dragon sneezes and sets the table ablaze. Luckily, the girl knows just what to ...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Kids Can Press (first published December 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about No Dragons for Tea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Dragons for Tea

Start your review of No Dragons for Tea: Fire Safety for Kids (and Dragons)
Erin
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Visiting my two nephews ages 4 and 2. This rating and review is based on what my 4 year old nephew told me after reading.

"I really liked the pictures of the dragon. I thought it was funny when he sneezed. But there were too many words. I don't like books with lots of words. "

I had to ask him what he learned about fire safety. All I got was a blank stare. This book would probably be better when he's a little older.
Char (lunarchar_)
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nothing like a nostalgic read
Alexandra
Oct 06, 2007 rated it liked it
I think this book does a good job of what it sets out to do. Teaching basics about what to do in a house fire, and giving parents a starting point for discussion, in a way that is not negitive or scary. And of course showing children why dragons really shouldn't come over for tea - even if they're nice dragons, just in case they're wondering.

Includes fire safety tips for parents to share in the back.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
2-14-12
Legomeister loved this book when he was four and five. He thought it was a hilarious story and loved the fire safety information.

We checked this out for Little Miss recently. She freaked out. She had tons of questions about what we would do in case of fire, and "What if?" this and that. She's generally not an anxious child. I'm not sure if it was a temporary mood, or if she has a special fear of fire. Still, even though it's scary, it's important to discuss fire safety. So although I can
Mario Flores
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Sara
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book about fire safety explained in a way that children will understand. A young girl invites a dragon over for tea. While drinking tea the dragon sneezes fires which causes a fire in the little girl's house. The girls springs into action and gets her and the dragon to safety. She also doesn't let the dragon go back in to get his teddy bear.
Tindle
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This charming story, written in rhyming prose, has a memorable message. Let our young narrator introduce you to Dragon and Teddy as they make friends and have adventures! I was beyond thrilled when my daughter danced down the hall after the story ended receipting the verse about never re-entering a burning house. We loved this book.
Anthony
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A young girl meets a dragon, and after spending time playing together, she invites the dragon home for lunch and tea. The dragon causes a fire when he sneezes, and panics, but the girl shows and tell the dragon what to do during a house fire. Told in rhyme this book on fire safety is an excellent teaching device for young children.
Cam
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for teaching little ones about fire safety, what to do in an emergency, and how to handle situations. I liked this book so much that I went back to the library and got more books by the same author.
Ellen
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a bit cutesy but it gets the job done. The fire safety instructions are clear, the danger isn't too scary, the rhyming not that bad, and the back matter (including a fire safety rhyme) is helpful for grown ups.
Athos
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading this cautionary tale about inviting dragons to tea and them setting fire to the tablecloth and curtains with a fiery sneeze, Son of Athos wanted to be assured that we have no pepper in the house.
"Pepper's ok," said I. "Only Dragons sneeze fire."
"No! No! NO pepper!"
dsmith7272 Gwinnett Tech
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ecce-1105-safety
I enjoyed this book a lot and think it will be an excellent teaching tool. It was very entertaining. The author did a good job of explaining fire safety while still keeping the story fun. It shows kids the imp of “stop, drop, and roll”.
Megan
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
It gets the fire safety info across without being too preachy. My son liked it.
Danielle Mootz
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute rhyming fire safety story. It reiterates the most important points for children who finds themselves in a house fire.
Donna Smith
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It is a great tool to teach children about fire safety. The book rhymes and at the end there is a rhyme to help them remember fire safety rules.
Emily Carlyn
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
This is the PERFECT book for a fire safety story time. I love the rhyming aspect of it too.
Kristen Thorp
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
53/365

Dated information (use a pay phone) and a little forced poetry but still thought the message was sound and done in a cute way.
Diane
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The narrator makes a new friend at the beach (a dragon). But when she invites him back for a snack, the dragon sneezes and the house catches fire.
Leslie
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A bit dated and the rhyming seemed forced.
Meredith
More two and a half for me. Creative approach to teaching fire safety.
Lucinda Cormack
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: safety
This is a good book to teach fire safety to older children. It does go over the correct steps.
Lulu
Lovely rhymes and dragons to teach kids about fire safety
Goshen PL Childrens
Read for Storytime October 12th and 13th
Theme: Fire Safety
Kelli McKenna
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
No Dragons for Tea written by Jean E. Pendziwol was an amusing read that I really enjoyed. I decided to put it under the Children's Story Book section vs. poetry because i felt that the illustrations added to the story because it gave you a visualization of the dragon and characters in the story. Although, the story did include rhyme for every line which would make the story a fun read aloud. This would be a good story book to read to either kindergarten or first graders because the end of the b ...more
Chelsea
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book about fire safety for kids. Also, who doesn't love some dragons in their stories? Dragons are awesome.

Read during Preschool Play on August 25th, 2017.
Crystal
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
PERFECT book to start your discussion about fire safety with a little one. 3 year old son really enjoyed it. Brought up a lot of good points, offers good, simple advise, and has extra info at the end. Huge fan. Bought a copy. Will read over and over again!
Allison Homeyer
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
No Dragons for Tea: Fire Safety for Kids is an excellent book for any young elementary school classroom or therapy room. A young girl befriends a dragon one day and decides to invite him over for tea. From there the dragon accidentally sets the house on fire. Thankfully the young girl and her mother know exactly what to do in this situation. This fun book includes fire safety rules at the back of the book.
I thought this book was adorable and would be extremely helpful to have in any classroom.
Dolly
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun, rhyming book that also teaches an important safety lesson about what to do in the event of a fire. We've also read Tale of Sir Dragon, The: Dealing with Bullies for Kids and we enjoy reading these stories together. The illustrations are fun and the inclusion of the dragon (who often makes mistakes or needs help) allows children to help guide the dragon into making wise choices.

Our girls really interjected a lot into this story, demonstrating their knowledge of fire safety. While
Alyssa Teator
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Shelves: picture-books
Title: "No Dragons for Tea: Fire Safety for Kids (And Dragons)"
Author: Jean E. Pendziwol
Illustrator: Martine Gourbault
Published: December 15th 1998 by Kids Can Press, Ltd.
Genre: Realistic Fiction
A little girl meets a dragon and invites him over for tea. Little does she know that when a dragon sneezes, he blows fire! Luckily, the little girl knows what procedures to take in case of a fire emergency. Through her directions and knowledge, she leads her dragon friend to safety. This is a fun and r
Turrean
Might be useful as a part of a fire safety unit. I have students who find the whole topic anxiety-inducing, so while including a fantasy element like a dragon might seem to put a little safe distance between children and the idea of their houses burning down, the fact that it's a little girl who must escape from the burning house and the earnest warnings for parents to share with children listed at the back of the text, bring the story right back to reality. Too bad it wasn't a dragon family all ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Kissing Hand
  • In a Jar
  • Dem Bones
  • Be Safe Around Fire
Jean E. Pendziwol is an award winning Canadian author of books for adults and children. She was shortlisted for the Governor General’s Award and the 2014 TD Canadian Children’s Literature Award for Once Upon a Northern Night (Groundwood Books, 2013). Her children’s books include the critically acclaimed No Dragons for Tea: Fire Safety for Kids (and Dragons) (Kids Can Press), which continues to be ...more

Dragon Safety Books (4 books)
  • Once Upon a Dragon: Stranger Safety for Kids (and Dragons)
  • A Treasure at Sea for Dragon and Me: Water Safety for Kids (and Dragons)
  • The Tale of Sir Dragon: Dealing with Bullies for Kids (and Dragons)

News & Interviews