Start by marking “No Dragons for Tea: Fire Safety for Kids (and Dragons)” as Want to Read:
No Dragons for Tea: Fire Safety for Kids (and Dragons)

No Dragons for Tea: Fire Safety for Kids

(Dragon Safety Books)

While out for a walk with her mom, a little girl has the surprise of her life --- she meets a real, live, fire-breathing dragon! Now this dragon is nothing to be afraid of --- in fact, he's so friendly that she invites him home for tea. But their afternoon snack is suddenly interrupted when the dragon sneezes and sets the table ablaze. Luckily, the girl knows just what to ...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Kids Can Press (first published December 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about No Dragons for Tea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Dragons for Tea

Erin
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Visiting my two nephews ages 4 and 2. This rating and review is based on what my 4 year old nephew told me after reading.

"I really liked the pictures of the dragon. I thought it was funny when he sneezed. But there were too many words. I don't like books with lots of words. "

I had to ask him what he learned about fire safety. All I got was a blank stare. This book would probably be better when he's a little older.
Alexandra
Oct 06, 2007 rated it liked it
I think this book does a good job of what it sets out to do. Teaching basics about what to do in a house fire, and giving parents a starting point for discussion, in a way that is not negitive or scary. And of course showing children why dragons really shouldn't come over for tea - even if they're nice dragons, just in case they're wondering.

Includes fire safety tips for parents to share in the back.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
2-14-12
Legomeister loved this book when he was four and five. He thought it was a hilarious story and loved the fire safety information.

We checked this out for Little Miss recently. She freaked out. She had tons of questions about what we would do in case of fire, and "What if?" this and that. She's generally not an anxious child. I'm not sure if it was a temporary mood, or if she has a special fear of fire. Still, even though it's scary, it's important to discuss fire safety. So although I can
Mario Flores
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Eileen Carter
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect book to read to children during fire prevention at school, as well as a story to enjoy at home. What you think is a cute story about making a new friend turns into a book about fire safety. Teaching children to have a meeting place outside your home, how to get out in case of a fire, never hide, and NEVER go back inside.
The illustrations are wonderful and full of color to keep the attention of the reader.
Tindle
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This charming story, written in rhyming prose, has a memorable message. Let our young narrator introduce you to Dragon and Teddy as they make friends and have adventures! I was beyond thrilled when my daughter danced down the hall after the story ended receipting the verse about never re-entering a burning house. We loved this book.
Sara
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book about fire safety explained in a way that children will understand. A young girl invites a dragon over for tea. While drinking tea the dragon sneezes fires which causes a fire in the little girl's house. The girls springs into action and gets her and the dragon to safety. She also doesn't let the dragon go back in to get his teddy bear.
Ellen
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a bit cutesy but it gets the job done. The fire safety instructions are clear, the danger isn't too scary, the rhyming not that bad, and the back matter (including a fire safety rhyme) is helpful for grown ups.
Athos
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading this cautionary tale about inviting dragons to tea and them setting fire to the tablecloth and curtains with a fiery sneeze, Son of Athos wanted to be assured that we have no pepper in the house.
"Pepper's ok," said I. "Only Dragons sneeze fire."
"No! No! NO pepper!"
Camille
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for teaching little ones about fire safety, what to do in an emergency, and how to handle situations. I liked this book so much that I went back to the library and got more books by the same author.
Emily Carlyn
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the PERFECT book for a fire safety story time. I love the rhyming aspect of it too.
Donna Smith
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It is a great tool to teach children about fire safety. The book rhymes and at the end there is a rhyme to help them remember fire safety rules.
Danielle Mootz
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute rhyming fire safety story. It reiterates the most important points for children who finds themselves in a house fire.
Megan
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
It gets the fire safety info across without being too preachy. My son liked it.
Lulu
Lovely rhymes and dragons to teach kids about fire safety
Goshen PL Childrens
Read for Storytime October 12th and 13th
Theme: Fire Safety
Kelli McKenna
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
No Dragons for Tea written by Jean E. Pendziwol was an amusing read that I really enjoyed. I decided to put it under the Children's Story Book section vs. poetry because i felt that the illustrations added to the story because it gave you a visualization of the dragon and characters in the story. Although, the story did include rhyme for every line which would make the story a fun read aloud. This would be a good story book to read to either kindergarten or first graders because the end of the b ...more
Chelsea
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book about fire safety for kids. Also, who doesn't love some dragons in their stories? Dragons are awesome.

Read during Preschool Play on August 25th, 2017.
Crystal
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
PERFECT book to start your discussion about fire safety with a little one. 3 year old son really enjoyed it. Brought up a lot of good points, offers good, simple advise, and has extra info at the end. Huge fan. Bought a copy. Will read over and over again!
Allison Homeyer
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
No Dragons for Tea: Fire Safety for Kids is an excellent book for any young elementary school classroom or therapy room. A young girl befriends a dragon one day and decides to invite him over for tea. From there the dragon accidentally sets the house on fire. Thankfully the young girl and her mother know exactly what to do in this situation. This fun book includes fire safety rules at the back of the book.
I thought this book was adorable and would be extremely helpful to have in any classroom.
Dolly
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun, rhyming book that also teaches an important safety lesson about what to do in the event of a fire. We've also read Tale of Sir Dragon, The: Dealing with Bullies for Kids and we enjoy reading these stories together. The illustrations are fun and the inclusion of the dragon (who often makes mistakes or needs help) allows children to help guide the dragon into making wise choices.

Our girls really interjected a lot into this story, demonstrating their knowledge of fire safety. While
Alyssa Teator
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Shelves: picture-books
Title: "No Dragons for Tea: Fire Safety for Kids (And Dragons)"
Author: Jean E. Pendziwol
Illustrator: Martine Gourbault
Published: December 15th 1998 by Kids Can Press, Ltd.
Genre: Realistic Fiction
A little girl meets a dragon and invites him over for tea. Little does she know that when a dragon sneezes, he blows fire! Luckily, the little girl knows what procedures to take in case of a fire emergency. Through her directions and knowledge, she leads her dragon friend to safety. This is a fun and r
Turrean
Might be useful as a part of a fire safety unit. I have students who find the whole topic anxiety-inducing, so while including a fantasy element like a dragon might seem to put a little safe distance between children and the idea of their houses burning down, the fact that it's a little girl who must escape from the burning house and the earnest warnings for parents to share with children listed at the back of the text, bring the story right back to reality. Too bad it wasn't a dragon family all ...more
Lexi Beaver
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
I loved this book with a storyline that includes fire safety for little ones! The dragon and the child are friends and when the dragon sneezes in her house, she shows the dragon just exactly what they need to do with the fire in the home. They go and have a defined meeting place, and I really enjoy the details of fire safety that's included in the story.
At the end of the book, there is a dragon fire safety poem, and I love this idea of incorporating a rhyming lyrical song that is easy for kids t
Becky B
A little girl makes a new friend, a dragon! They have great fun at the beach and then she invites him over for tea. But during tea the pepper starts tickling noses, and you can just guess what happens when a dragon sneezes. Fire! The little girl and her mom know just what to do, but have to teach the dragon a few things about fire safety. Fire safety talking points are included in the back.

A fun way to talk about fire safety. The book is written in catchy rhyme, and the illustrations are attract
Cassie Houck
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great book about a little girl who befriends a dragon and brings him home with her for tea. At their tea party, the dragon sneezes, catching the house on fire.

I loved this book, it rhymed, very well illustrated, and just a very cute way to talk about a serious subject without being scary.

This book is a great book to introduce students to fire safety. I would use this book to introduce the topic, or before a field trip to the fire station. I would definitely use this book in my classr
Tori Davenport
In this book a little girl invites her new friend, Dragon, over for afternoon tea after they play all day at the beach. Dragon ends up sneezing though and catches the house on fire! This is a great and easy to understand book for teachers, or parents, to explain fire safety tips and tricks in a fun way. I would read this book to a younger age right before, or right after, they go for the annual fire safety assembly. The illustrations were fun and kind of quirky, and in the back of the book are b ...more
JustOneMoreBook.com
Sep 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Softly illustrated and secured in unshakable rhyme, this engaging adventure sharpens fire safety smarts with a perfect balance of silly sweetness and serious suspense.

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:
Erika
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
The kids really enjoyed this book, which has rhyming text and quick moving action. I loved having the opportunity to discuss fire safety and what to do in case of an emergency with my two little ones. Great book to initiate a discussion on fire safety with little ones.

We read this book as part of the Mother Goose Time preschool curriculum - Fables and Folktales theme.
Sydney Klimas
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was very clever. This is intended for maybe an older audience (2nd - 3rd grade) but can really be read to any level because it is a great picture book. The story line is very well put together. I would definitely incorporate this into my classroom so that my kids could read this great story.
  • Stop, Drop, and Roll: A Jessica Worries Book: Fire Safety
  • The Baby Beebee Bird
  • Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher Columbus
  • Franklin's Bad Day
  • Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 4-7)
  • Words Are Not for Hurting(Best Behavior)
  • Cowlick!
  • There's Something in My Attic
  • Ginger
  • Fireman Small
  • Apples and Pumpkins
Jean E. Pendziwol is an award winning Canadian author of books for adults and children. She was shortlisted for the Governor General’s Award and the 2014 TD Canadian Children’s Literature Award for Once Upon a Northern Night (Groundwood Books, 2013). Her children’s books include the critically acclaimed No Dragons for Tea: Fire Safety for Kids (and Dragons) (Kids Can Press), which continues to be ...more

Dragon Safety Books (4 books)
  • Once Upon a Dragon: Stranger Safety for Kids (and Dragons)
  • A Treasure at Sea for Dragon and Me: Water Safety for Kids (and Dragons)
  • The Tale of Sir Dragon: Dealing with Bullies for Kids (and Dragons)