Start by marking “Once Upon a Goat” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Goat

Once Upon a Goat

A twisted fairy tale about a king and queen who wish for a child of their own…and end up with a baby goat.

Once upon a time, a very prim and proper king and queen begged their fairy godmother for a child. They’d prefer a boy, with glowing skin, bright eyes, and two roses for lips…but any kid will do. When they find themselves gifted with a baby goat (also known as a kid) in
Published August 27th 2019 by Alfred A. Knopf

Start your review of Once Upon a Goat
La Coccinelle
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a rather silly story about a king and queen who wish for a child ("Yes, but where would we put it?" asked the king. "Next to the vase on the hearth, naturally," replied the queen.) and end up getting much more than they bargained for when their fairy godmother leaves a literal kid on their doorstep. Things are a bit rough at first, but eventually the pair come to love their adopted hircine child. So when it's revealed that an even bigger mistake has been made, the royal couple has to mak ...more
Erin Buhr
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
Oh this is the kind of picture book my kids love most. From the moment you notice the little chewed corner of the first page you know this is going to be a good one. It starts with a fairy tale like premise of a king and queen who ask their fairy godmother for a child - any kid will do. A goat appears on their doorstep. This is funny enough but the twist towards the end makes it even better and the sweet ending all the more satisfactory. A terrific read aloud with witty, quick text and illustrat ...more
Brindi Michele
This is freaking PRECIOUS on a stick!

I want a "kid" right now!!! This silly little story just melted my heart.
Billie
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I started laughing on page two and didn't stop. I called a co-worker over to read it with me and we were both laughing out loud. This was a lovely, delightful treat of a book with a perfect, sweet (if messy) ending.
Cyndi
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Miss S. is at the perfect age to begin her love of books. (I never wait till they've reached the age of decision...one year old) So at 7 months she may not know which one she loves best, but the is open to listening. I just read the ones I love and enjoy meeting new books. This one is a lovely read!
I don't usually worry about spoilers with picture books because I figure you want to know the gist before you commit to the lengthy time it takes to read it aloud to your young ones.
In the beginni
Bea
Absolutely adorable. Cute, sweet but not sickly, story about love, family, adoption, and acceptance.
Arielfranchakyahoo.com
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun book that kids and adults will enjoy! I loved the humor, creativity and delightful illustrations in Once Upon A Goat. Perhaps my favorite part of the book is the very first page that is intentionally designed to look as if it has been bitten off by the baby goat in this book. Not only was the story both pleasing to the ear and to the eye, but it had a heartwarming message at the end. I highly recommend this book to teachers, parents, and kids (of the human and goat variety).
Amity
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Why hasn't a fairy godmother left me a bunch of baby goats on my doorstep? Life is unfair.

UPDATE: Eric Barclay, author/illustrator extraordinaire and illustrator of this particular book, liked this review, so I can only hope that he grants my wish and sends me a baby goat soon.

UPDATE 2.0: the fabulous Dan Richards, author of this lovely book, also liked this review. High fives all around to you both! Still waiting on my baby goat, though...

In all seriousness, all my friends with kids of the non
Rachel
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had my attention with the goat bitten inside cover page, and then it just continued to delight me. A king and queen ask their fairy godmother for a kid - "any kid will do"- and end up with a baby goat. Sure, the goat keeps eating their roses...but it's so cute that they struggle with the idea of giving it away. What a silly, sweet story that incorporates a well-used dry sense of humour. This will be a fun one for adults and kids to read together. (Or adults and adults. Or kids and kids ...more
Michelle Ella
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really cute, almost makes me want a goat 😂
Jessie Bond
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Help why is this so adorable
Prince William Public Libraries
A king and queen wish for a kid. Any kid will do, they just want a baby. Well, a kid is a baby goat, so they get a baby goat! At first they are taken aback, but he's a cute little goat, if not destructive. They decide to keep him; sure he's messy, but they love him. As fate would have it, the human baby was given to a family of goats.

This is an adorable, funny children's book with a great ending. 10/10 would read several hundred times to any willing child.

-Amanda T.

Abigail
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fairy-Tale Lovers
A king and queen, childless but longing to start a family, ask their Fairy Godmother for help, assuring her that "any kid" will do. When a little goat shows up on their doorstep, they are at first disconcerted, even going so far as to kick the creature out, when it eats the queen's roses. Eventually though, the royal couple comes to value this caprine child. Then the Fairy Godmother turns up again, and it turns out that a mistake was made - the human child was placed with the goats! Is it too la ...more
Amy
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite picture book of 2019 and I have handsold many many copies at the bookstore (and plan to sell many more). The text is charming, the illustrations are delightful, and the goat looks so mischievous as he wreaks havoc on the castle. It’s perfect.
Susan Foster
Becky
First sentence: Once upon a time, in a faraway kingdom, a king and queen wished for a child.

Premise/plot: A king and queen wish for a child with hilarious results. Their fairy godmother makes a slight mistake, but not all mistakes are unfortunate.

My thoughts: I love this silly mix-up! I love how having a “child” changes this royal couple....and the royal household! The goat steals the show for sure. This one had me hooked from the end papers on.

Text:5/5
Illustrations: 5/5
Total: 10/10
Kareena
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adorable and silly with a great message about love and family.
Pam  Page
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This book just made me laugh! The first page has a big "bite" mark to set the mood for the "goat baby" you are about to meet. I can't wait to read this to children and see what they think of the sweet ending.
Pam
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An interesting take on what makes a family. The Royal Family asks for a kid and gets a goat. The goat family get the child. Both families love their adopted children.
April
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's very unconventional, but the story was cute with a happy ending. Who wouldn't love a baby goat, right?!
Amanda Cummings
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-choice-5
I gave this book a 5 star because of the cute story it had. I loved how the goat ended up in the wrong family but at the end the family ended up loving him and there new child they got from the fairy godmother.
Amanda Zirn Hudson
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The most adorable, funny, and heartwarming story of a King and Queen who wishes for a baby. Their fairy godmother wants specifics so they tell her, "Any kid will do!" When they look on their doorstep on the next full moon they are surprised to see a different type of "kid"... a fuzzy baby goat! A clever story with the most charming illustrations, this is a must for any little (or big) readers' bookshelf!
Kathryn
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
So cute I loved this story
Engel Dreizehn
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute little tale of mixed up gone...kind of sweet with sweet ending for both human and goat.
Lisa D
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Tasha
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A very naive king and queen tell their fairy godmother that they want to start a family. They’d like a child that they can place either on the hearth next to a vase or out in the garden by the roses. They say that a boy would be great, but “any kid will do.” So at the next full moon, they open their castle door to discover a baby goat on their doorstep. They reluctantly bring the goat into their perfectly designed home where it immediately starts eating things, butting statues, and even pooping ...more
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect read aloud!
Ms. Yingling
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is completely adorable and has a great message! It's selfish of me to want Mr. Richards to only write middle grade like Stu Truly. This goat! So cute.
Tessa
Great illustrations and a winning story = a fantastic picture book
Katherine
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
An absolutely precious book about love and family.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »