Start by marking “The Substitute” as Want to Read:

The Substitute

Amazon Bestselling Author Mickey Miller brings you a sexy, new standalone romance novel.

When the NFL goes on strike, Super Bowl champion Peyton O’Rourke ends up back in his hometown as a substitute teacher and high school football coach.
The one thing he didn’t count on?
Maddy Cooper being newly single.
She’s the hot girl next door type.
Literally. She’s literally the
Published January 10th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Substitute, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Substitute

Start your review of The Substitute
Rochelle
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book and I am voluntary leaving a review. I have several books by Mickey Miller on my Kindle but this is the first book of his that I read and let me say it won’t be the last. I loved this book. It had two of my favorite things: friends to lovers and sports. They had their issues, for example, her being his ex-friend’s ex-girlfriend but they worked that out. It was a slow burn with some teasing but when it heated up, let me just say hot, hot, hot. This will not be the ...more
Syndi
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK read. What does not work for me is the character chemistry. The insta lust is too much. the relationship between Peyton and Maddy is too fast without a real and honest connection. So I feel a bit off with the characters.

The story is light. Not much plot or specific twist that the author develop. The banters are sweet and fun though. It cracks my smile.

Overall this book is OK read for me. Nothing specific stands out.

3 stars
Pam Nelson
This was a new author for me so I wasn’t sure if I would like his style. But I have to say he really gave us a full and whole story. The characters are full and round you don’t feel like you’re missing parts of them like with some book I always feel like I don’t really know the character.

Maddy and Payton’s chemistry is explosive, I just wanted Maddy’s to be more honest with herself and she was for the most part but for an adult she really lets her family dictate her life. I didn’t really like
Ambriehl Khalil
[3/5 Stars]

Eh, this was fine. There wasn’t anything incredibly special or memorable. The characters needed more work and their relationship lacked in a lot of places, I feel like there was a lot of telling when it came to the things that happened rather than showing. I would have liked to read about their sexcapades and have more of their relationship. I also felt like Maddy was a huge pushover and it was super annoying, especially towards the end. This could have been improved heaps more if
Tre Talbot
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great friends to lovers sports romance. Peyton coming back home and working in the same school as Maddy shook things up a bit especially with him being her ex’s best friend. Their story is a push and pull relationship for a good while and there’s guaranteed laughs with their banter. The storyline held strong throughout the book and the pace was set comfortably where you wanted to know what will happen next and keep turning those pages. Guaranteed HEA and no cliffhanger.

Audiobook
Amanda Steward
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

This is my first book by this author and I’ll admit I was a little iffy (not trying to sound sexist) this is the first male author I’ve actually been able to read and enjoy. It was crude I laughed and I swooned over Peyton. And I enjoyed Maddy as well. Can’t wait to read more books by Mickey Miller!!
Coco.V
Jan 24, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (1/24/2020)! ...more
Erin Lewis
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 star review The Substitute by Mickey Miller
AUDIO REVIEW:
Mickey Miller is a new author to me and I have no idea why that is. This book was narrated by Sebastian York and CJ Bloom who did a great job in bringing Peyton O’Rourke and Maddy Cooper’s story to life for me.
From chapter one I was hooked and kept telling myself, just one more chapter. This is a second chance slightly taboo love story as Maddy is the ex girlfriend of Peyton’s friend.
There is certainly plenty of steam within this story
Liz
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story the only problem I had with it was Maddy. A 26 year old that worries about upsetting her parents? Maddy seemed to be incredibly immature. I had hoped for a different ending for Peyton.
Shelley
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Substitute Stars

Maddy is ready for the school year to kick off! She has one of the nicest classrooms overlooking the football field and she’s ready for anything That is until she realises that there is a substitute and he’s taking her classroom...it gets worse, she knows him well.....Super Bowl Champion Peyton!

Peyton and Maddy get off to a bad start but finally settle into a rhythm as the school year passes. Unfortunately, their chemistry and attraction is through the roof and neither
Cherill Fannin
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Mickey Miller

I loved this book about Peyton a football superstar that went back to his small home town during an NFL strike. Peyton and Maggie were old friends and neighbors. Maggie is an elementary school teacher and Peyton is subbing and coaching at the school during the strike. Maggie is a good girl, wanting to please everyone, and Peyton shows her how to live in the moment and that it is ok to put herself first. I loved watching Peyton and Maggie figure out their
Samantha I Love HEA Romance Book Blog
The Substitute is a good friends to lovers, slow burning romance. I didn't connect with Peyton at the start of the book but by the end I really liked his character. I found him sweet and a little swoony. Usually Mr Miller has strong heroines in all of his stories, heroines who you can not help but love. Maddy was very different to his usual heroines.

Even though this book did take me a couple of chapters to get into I really enjoyed the story line. Not only is it friends to lovers but also a
Jessica
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved everything about this book and I’ll definitely be checking out more from this author!! Friends to lovers stories are always a favorite for me, especially when they’ve been friends since high school and get reacquainted later in life. Throw in some sports talk, small town vibes, and the main characters being next door neighbors (loved the ole tin can conversations) and you know it’s going to be a good story! ;)
Virginia
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mickey’s books make me smile. Like his others, The Substitute is fast moving, easy to read, and full of wit and banter, romance and steam, and characters that are easy to fall in love with. From the very first pages Peyton had me hooked. He’s witty and sexy and just irresistible. I love a good connection between the characters and Peyton and Maddie definitely had one.

A swoon worthy story, I totally recommend The Substitute!

An arc was provided for an honest review.
Laura Johnson
4 “Megpie” stars . This is a great friends to lovers sports romance. Their story is a push and pull relationship for a good while and there’s guaranteed laughs with their banter. The storyline held strong throughout the book and the pace was set comfortably where you wanted to know what will happen next and keep turning those pages. Enjoy myself with story. Recommended read. ...more
Amy Malek concepcion

3.5 Stars

I enjoyed Peyton and Maddie’s story. Some drama/ angst but nothing over the top. But it did get a little repetitive at times with the same worries coming up over and over before they were finally resolved. I’m glad Peyton found his HEA.
Regina Boisvert
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE

I've read every book by this author and the only disappointment is waiting for his next one! I can't even pick a favorite. Just enough romance, steamy sex, and angst to bring me further into the story! Read this book and know that you won't regret it! Enjoy :)
Lynette
I think it was an ok book. I think that it could've gone deeper into the plot instead of just having a lot of sex scenes. I would recommend this to romance lovers that are 15+.
BookAddict
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy high school football, Mickey Miller has done it again! When the NFL goes on strike, Super Bowl star, Peyton O'Rourke returns to his small home town of Pentwater, MI, to fill in as the substitute Spanish teacher and high school football coach. He left town after his senior year, never looking back, but being home stirs up a lot of memories -- not the least of which is his neighbor Maddy, who was joined at the hip with Payton’s best friend Eric all those years ago. Maddy is now all grown up ...more
Naardsbooks
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars: DNF @ 40% - I really wanted to like this book. A new to me author, with a fun synopsis, my kind of M.O. Unfortunately this book just wasn't for me. I'm sure it gets better, I'm hoping anyways, but for me personally, I was struggling to want to flip pages.

I have plenty to say about the 40% I read, however I don't want to come across as someone bashing the author or book for the little I read. And at the end of the day it really wasn't for me, what I struggled to enjoy, you may just
Melissa
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sports romance is my absolute favorite! Mickey Miller has delivered!
Poor Maddie, so much drama for that poor girl. Lots of lol moments which I really liked...her Dad, her wit, banter, she’s great!
When Peyton shows up as the substitute teacher and football coach at school, life starts to get really interesting for Maddie! Did I mention Peyton’s her Ex’s bff?!? Loved this book, lighthearted, fun, happy ending...highly recommend
Lisa
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just a small town romance!

Maddie and Peyton secretly wanted to be together but respected the boundaries of their childhood friendship which included Eric! I thought it was really cute how they had a secret fall romance and they both discovered things they suppressed for years. In the end they made it about themselves forgetting what everyone else wanted or thought! A few grammatical errors but a very good story!
Wendy Moore

This was my 1st Mickey Miller book and I did enjoy it!! Both MC's seemed a little immature for 26. I still have no idea why a NFL player on strike would take a sub position?!?!? I get maybe volunteering to coach the football team... And the ending was abrupt. The beginning of the school year Maddy goes above and beyond a just quits half way through the year?!?!?

I liked the slow burn it and overall I like both MC's, I just wished the story line was more complete.
Lizzi
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winning story by Mickey Miller. I loved this story. The characters were deep, thoughtful and well written. I love it when a book can surprise me, and this one certainly did!!
April   ♥"LOS" ♥
I’ve seen a lot of this author recently so I decided to give this book a listen. I always enjoy Sebastian York so it was no hardship to listen to him;). The characters were fun and the storyline was interesting so all around it was worth it.
Katrina Haynes
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book.. It was hot and sexy as funny. Of course who doesn't love a football player.. I think you enjoy this book once it is release.. Well done Mickey ...more
Stephanie Cosper vermillion
Well I’m not really sure what to say about this book. I saw a review so decided to give it a shot and it seems I am in the minority because I didn’t really enjoy it. The premise was intriguing but the execution was lacking.
There was not a lot of character development in my opinion. There were glimpses into Peyton’s upbringing but didn’t really delve deeply.
I had a real issue with Mandy’s character. I’m not even sure I can touch on it all. I really thought she was bitchy to Peyton right from
Christie72
What an addictive read!!! I couldn’t put the book down until I had finished the last page, and now I’m sad I had to say good-bye to Peyton and Maddy!!!

Peyton and Maddy were neighbors when they were teenagers, and Maddy was the girlfriend of Peyton’s friend, Eric. Peyton left their small town and didn’t look back. He was a Super Bowl Champion. Maddy stayed and became an elementary school teacher. Years later, Peyton returns. The NFL is on strike, and he comes home as a substitute teacher and high
Shelly Reynolds
"Keep talking like that and you're going to get yourself in trouble."
"Maybe I want to be in trouble."

Oh, why weren't my substitute teachers like Peyton? I don't know about yours, but mine were usually older men or women who really didn't want to be there and just made us sit and read chapters in the text book, only to be told to write a summary. #Boring. If Senor O'Rourke had been my substitute, I think my school years would have been much more memorable!

Petyon O'Rourke is back. The NFL star is
Erica
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second book by the author and The Substitute has made me a fan!
It's a friends to lovers story, a bit of friends with benefits that evolves but in an unexpected way.
NFL star comes home to take care of his sick grandma. His next door neighbor is the kind, quiet third grade teacher who dated his friend for years.
Maddy has been with one man her entire life. They started dating in high school and suddenly at 26 she's single for the first time. When Peyton comes home she can't help but

• Just Neighbors (Blue Beech, #4)
  • Hate You Less
  • The Secret to Dating Your Best Friend's Sister
  • Charming as Puck
  • Monday Night Guy (My Guy, #1)
  • Hold Me Today (Put A Ring On It, #1)
  • Flirting with the Frenemy (Bro Code #1)
  • Losing It (Inked Hearts #6)
  • Ruthless King  (Kings of Rittenhouse, #3)
  • Beyond Words (The Hutton Family, #1)
  • Diary of a Bad Boy
  • The Dugout
  • Keep Me Going : An Office Romance
  • Ex's Best Friend
  • Pricked
  • The Assist (Smart Jocks, #1)
  • Focused
  • America's Geekheart (Bro Code #2)
Hi, there! My name is Mickey Miller and I write sexy, fun romance with smart characters. My books are great if you're looking for a light-hearted, steamy read with some humor and a happy ending! Happy reading!