Start by marking “Let Me Burn (Angel Sands #1)” as Want to Read:
Let Me Burn (Angel Sands #1)

Let Me Burn

(Angel Sands #1)

She isn’t looking for love. He’s not planning on staying around. But when they meet, sparks fly…

As a big city firefighter, Lucas lives for his job. Forced to take extended leave following an accident, he returns to his small hometown to stay at the beach cottage his grandparents left him. The problem is, he’s not used to having so much time on his hands.

After a broken eng
Published February 20th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Let Me Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let Me Burn

Start your review of Let Me Burn (Angel Sands #1)
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

“Hey, if life gives you lemons—” “Add a little tequila,”

“She’s beautiful and she’s funny but she’s fresh out of a relationship.” “How fresh?” “I’m not sure. A few months maybe.” “That’s not fresh… That’s rancid. She’s probably ready for another date.”

If he’d felt like the King of the World before, now he felt like he’d expanded his empire to include the rest of the galaxy… “I like you, Lucas Russell,” she whispered. “I like you a lot.” Forget the galaxy, he was king of the unive
Whispering Stories
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

Carrie Elks novel Let Me Burn starts with fireman Lieutenant Lucas Russel being told by the White City Fire Chief to take two months of leave after he froze up during a fire. Lieutenant
Russel is not happy about the forced vacation. Lucas grew up in Angel Sands, California and he has been too busy to renovate a beach cottage in Angel Sands that was left to him by his
grandmother four years ago. After he moves into the beach cottage, he offers his services
Claire Robinson
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shit-hot-series
5 - "As long as you’re there…" Stars!

Carrie Elks turns her imagination to the small beach town of Angel Sands with her new series, and offers up a selection of characters that I know I am going to grow to like more and more as the series progresses. Firefighter Lucas Russell and Teacher Ember Kennedy are up first, and what a great start to the series their story offered.

Too busy saving lives to think about living his…

That is until Lucas is forced to take two months leave, after a particularl
Peggy M
4,5 stars

I received an ARC of this book and this is my voluntarily, honest review of it.

If you’re looking for a sweet, light summer read than ‘Let me burn’ is just the book for you.

‘Let me burn’ takes place in a small beach town called Angel Sands in America. A town where both Ember and Lucas were born and grew up in. But where Lucas left their little town to be a firefighter in a big city, Ember stayed in Angel Sands and became a schoolteacher. Both may have gone to the same high school when th
Somia
This made for a super light and fluffy read - perfect for the commute to and from work. This read has no real angst or drama.

Firefighter Lucas Russell lives for his job, but he’s burning out and so is ordered to take some extended leave to deal with an incident which has left its mark on him. Lucas decides to go and fix up the cottage his grandparents left to him, and it’s in the small town the cottage is found that he crosses paths with sweet school teacher Ember Kennedy. After Lucas saves her
M.B.
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: proofread
I had the pleasure of proofreading this book and as ever, I was blown away by Carries ability to weave a tale that is the perfect mixture of romance, humour, and that hint of angst we all love.

As ever, she drew me into the lives of her characters and they became like friends. I wanted to hang out at the beach with Ember and her friends, or to go surfing with Lucas and his. Elks' characters always feel so real and relateable. She makes the reader want to be in her books, even as an extra.

I can on
Monica
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review
Who isn’t looking for love?

If your looking for a loving light summer read stop by!

Firefighter & Schoolteacher

Grew up in the same town but never connected when they were young. Very busy in their careers, meet when they aren’t looking but it’s exactly what they need.

It’s a stranger to lover’s story, but friends all the way.
A reading about friendship and love.

Enjoyable, characters very relatable in a warm place like Angel Sands.

Is it summer already?
Melanie Moreland
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great story of finding love when you least expect it, of realizing it's okay to change your dreams, because sometimes those changes are exactly what brings you happiness. Written, as always, with a beautiful hand, carefully crafted words, and a lovely storyline that draws you in.
Victoria Weston
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book and this is the first in this series and I cant wait to start reading book #2. I love how this author written this story line and how it flowed perfectly, I loved reading it. Once I started it I couldn't put it down and this small town romance is a great read.
This is Ember and Lucas's story journey.

Ember is a teacher and a really good person, she loves her job and her small town and has great friends. Ember has been through a lot recently to especially with he
☆☆Hannah☆☆
This was a good read. Lucas and Ember are both coping from some things in life. Both of them aren't looking for a relationship. However, fate seems to have different plans. Needless to say, they were just what each other other needed.
Coco.V
Mar 11, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (3/11/2020)! 🎁
Amy
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let Me Burn is the first book in the all new Angel Sands Series and follows the story of Ember and Lucas. Lucas loves his job, but when a recent accident shakes him up, he’s forced to take some time out and go on a much needed vacation. The problem is, Lucas isn’t used to the slower paced small town life…The last thing that Ember is looking for is a new relationship. After her failed engagement, Ember just wants to put the past behind her and focus on her friends and her job. All was going to pl ...more
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
I’ve not read anything by this author before. I met her at a book signing and afterwards I was very eager to read one of her books so I thought I’d give this a go.

Taking a break from his career as a fire fighter Luca finds himself in Angel Sands at his grandparents college.

Ember who although shy is strong and is trying to move on from her past.

Can two broken souls help each other find happiness? I was really rooting for these two characters. I loved them and wanted them to be happy together.
Kristen Lewendon
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s a slow burn but it’s really quite precious. Combining several of my favorite things: a respected firefighter, a beloved elementary teacher, and a small town with all it’s quirky, nosy citizens. From their first accidental encounter, fate keeps throwing these two together in some of the unlikeliest ways, some pretty laughable ones too. I love watching lead characters overcome their emotional baggage and heal from previous relationships, and, in this story, Lucas and Ember have their work cut ...more
Susan
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
This story was just too slow for me to enjoy. I was ready for it to end long before it did.
booklover BEV
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A CAPTIVATING BOOK this is book one in the angel sands series the story of fire fighter Lucas Russell and elementary school teacher Ember Kennedy. Lucas takes a two month break from his job and goes back to his grandparents cottage in Angel Sands to do some renovating that is well over due after their death. he also does some volunteering work at the white city station as they are greatly needed. there is so much love in this book, the flame and spark between this couple put tears in my eyes. a ...more
elizrdbthspeaks
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
could have swore i had read something from Carrie before?? i gotta check my kindle ... i am not seeing any other reviews??! so strange. this is in KU ... if you have it? I think some of my most favorite books take place in small towns ...this one is a small beach - picturesque location. this read includes romance, humor and angst. well done. great read. love the cover. well written characters. I've been reading a lot of firefighter books lately ... that must be popular with the lady writers (aut ...more
Isha Coleman
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
He needs a soft place to land. She's happy to take the brunt of the fall. Carrie Elks has been a favorite of mine since I stumbled upon Summer's Lease. Her stories are emotionally compelling, her characters are easy to relate to and her heart shines through with every page. Let Me Burn tugs at the heart. Ember and Lucas are two lost souls searching for a place to call home. The passion is real, the emotions are raw and the beauty runs deep.

Teresa Lara
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved Lucas and Embers amazing beautiful intense love story.So need more.whos next.
Joan
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A well written romance. Yes, the ending was predictable but the story line was not sappy and kept me enjoying it with little surprises. A good summer and relaxing read.
Tracy
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let me burn is a sweet, friends to lovers, small town romance. It was such an easy read and would be a perfect summer read for the beach. It has just enough sizzle and a little angst to keep you reading and wanting to find out what happens next.

Lucas and Ember have both been through the mill recently, with Lucas being on forced leave which brings him to Angel Sands. I really enjoyed the friends to lovers aspect of their relationship as it wasn't hurried and didn't seem forced. I also loved the
Jade Pitman
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much, if I’m honest I love all of carries books.

I was hooked from the first page.

An amazing read! X
Alison
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Beautiful, Soul Binding Stars!!!

I was given this book in turn for an honest review.

When Lucas returns to his home town on extended leave, he finds himself becoming infatuated with Ember. When Ember’s past resurfaces, and Lucas finds his leave is nearly over, will their time be up?

Carrie Elks has written a truly captivating story, that has the heart aching for the pain her characters have endured, then slowly, Carrie mends our hearts with this beautiful romance of two broken souls.

Lucas came
Clare
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Angel Sands sounds like the most idyllic place in all the world to live, and this is where we meet Ember, a school teacher that has suffered so much heartache and loss in a few short months. Insert Lucas one hot Firefighter who has his own obstacles to overcome. Lucas is ordered to take two months leave and decides to return to Angel Sands to fix up the house his grandmother left him. As they occasionally cross paths they start the beginning of a friendship that quickly turns into a slow burn ro ...more
Karenj
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fiery start to this new series from Carrie Elks.. I couldn't put it down.. started yesterday and as soon as I got in from a night out last night I read it until my eyes could take no more and again as soon as I woke this morning I started on it again and finished it around 10am ! It was perfect ! The right amount of angst vs sizzle..  it all came together at just the right time..  not too soon but not too dragged out either !! Another 5* read as I've come to love from this author!
I loved
SyLvIa
Mar 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
[1.25 star] meh, boring & flat. was waiting for the spark but nothing came up. ...more
Jolanda Gelissen
Shelves: romance
Bring me a handsome firefighter now! This story makes you believe again that good guys do exist, in this case in the form of a dedicated firefighter named Lucas.

He’s a professional firefighter who’s married to his job. Due to a recent tragic event (at let me tell you, you’ll shed some tears when that event is revealed), his Captain orders him to take some time off. He returns to his hometown of Angel Sands, where he intends to sit out his time, renovate a beachside cottage he inherited, and volu
Cyndi Becker
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reader that I am, there is almost no better feeling than starting a new series and knowing you have more books in the series to look forward to. I absolutely adore this sweet, small town, feel good romance and it left me feeling all the warm fuzzies! Once again Carrie Elks delivers a wonderful romance featuring small town living and all the nuances of growing up in one and living there after having left and going back.

Grade school teacher Ember Kennedy and firefighter Lucas Russell cross paths w
Simona
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*Book provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

The story takes place in a small beach town called Angel Sands. Ember and Lucas both grew up in this town. Lucas left to be a firefighter and Ember is an elementary school teacher. They went tot he same high school, but Lucas is a bit older, so their paths never really crossed. Ember knows Lucas’ sisters, but that’s it.

Years later Lucas comes back to take a little break off work and that’s where their story starts. One of Ember’s
Lisa Hoak
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lucas was a little lost when he arrived in his hometown since he was forced to take time off work. Only there short-term, he wasn't looking for entanglements. Ember was out of serious relationship that ended badly.

This is the first book I've read from this author so I wasn't sure what to expect. This book had a lot of buildup for the main characters. It's not a steamy read. It's definitely on the sweet side so if you're looking for stimulating scenes this would be more of a morning read than a
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Codename Romeo (Rogues and Rescuers #1)
  • One Hundred Decisions (An Aspen Cove Small Town Romance Book 13)
  • Baby Secret (Slade Brothers, #3)
  • Off Limits Daddy
  • Billionaire's Unexpected Bride
  • Loves Me NOT (Slade Brothers, #4)
  • One Hundred Glances
  • Defend Me (A Frazier Falls Small Town Novel Book 3)
  • Man Find (Bergen Brothers, #3)
  • Hot Boss
  • S is for Secret Baby (Office Secrets #1)
  • Love and Neckties (Rockland Falls Book 4)
  • One Hundred Regrets (An Aspen Cove Romance Book 11)
  • Change Up (The Home Stand Series Book 1)
  • Off Limits (The Scottish Billionaire #1)
  • The Billionaire’s Secret Regret
  • Talk Dirty, Cowboy (Dirty Cowboy, #1)
  • Loner
Carrie Elks is an international bestselling author of thirteen traditionally-published and self-published novels. Her books are sweet yet sexy contemporary romance stories. Her latest books are a series of small town romances set on the coast of Southern California. You can begin the Angel Sands series with Let Me Burn - available on Amazon and in Kindle Unlimited.

Amazon: http://author.to/CarrieEl

Angel Sands (5 books)
  • She's Like The Wind (Angel Sands #2)
  • Sweet Little Lies (Angel Sands #3)
  • Just A Kiss (Angel Sands #4)
  • Baby I'm Yours (Angel Sands #5)

News & Interviews