Start by marking “Things My Son Needs to Know About the World” as Want to Read:
Things My Son Needs to Know About the World

Things My Son Needs to Know About the World

Fredrik Backman, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of A Man Called Ove, shares his irresistible and moving collection of heartfelt and humorous essays about fatherhood, providing his newborn son with the perspective and tools he’ll need to make his way in the world.

Things My Son Needs to Know About the World are the personal dispatches from a man on the front lines
Published May 7th 2019 by Washington Square Press (first published August 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Things My Son Needs to Know About the World, please sign up.
Lori It's autobiography. He's a very private man so I was thrilled to get a glimpse into his carefully-guarded life. (You won't find a photo of his wife…moreIt's autobiography. He's a very private man so I was thrilled to get a glimpse into his carefully-guarded life. (You won't find a photo of his wife and children anywhere on the internet. And on his Instagram, no photos of their faces but you'll find several versions of the sandwich LOL.)(less)

Angela M
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t often think about the personal lives of authors of the books I read . Once in a while I get a glimpse of something from their life if they mention it in a note usually related to why they wrote that particular book. I’ve read a couple of memoirs by writers, but mostly they remain separate from their work for me. I try not to think about Fitzgerald or Hemingway after reading their biographies, choosing to focus on their books that I love . With Fredrik Backman, this will be different.

I h
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-publisher
Once again, Fredrik Backman has managed to nestle his writing deep into the souls of parents everywhere with his latest book, Things My Son Needs to Know about the World. He manages to cover a lifetime's worth of wisdom in under 200 pages, but that's just icing on the cake. I managed to devour this tiny powerhouse in a single sitting today, and I can say that in that time, I laughed, I cried, and I received all of the warm fuzzies. Even if you're a parent who doesn't have a son, this is a deligh ...more
Julie
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things My Son Needs to Know About the World by Fredrik Backman is a 2019 Atria publication.

I knew I loved this author for a reason!

Fredrik Backman stole my heart with “A Man Called Ove” but he has been keeping it in safekeeping ever since.

This is Backman’s first non-fiction book, a series of essays about parenting that nearly anyone who has children, no matter what age they are now, or cared for them, can relate to. His musings are laugh out loud funny, chronicling the insanity an infant can s
Susanne  Strong
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars* (rounded down)

Fredrik Backman - throughout every single essay in “Things My Son Needs to Know About the World” I felt your immense love for your son (and of course your wife!). It bursts forth like the air escaping out of a balloon: whoosh!! It’s mad, crazy, fabulous love!

Reading this, I laughed hysterically at times, where I felt my whole body convulsing with laughter and then there were moments, where I felt my eyes fill and I felt tears at the back of my throat and I knew that yo
Larry H
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Over the last few years, Fredrik Backman has been one of my favorite authors, with Beartown, Us Against You, A Man Called Ove and And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer capturing my heart and winding up on my year-end lists of the best books I've read. So when I had the chance to get my hands on his new collection of essays, Things My Son Needs to Know About the World , I jumped on it, despite not having a child.

Once again, Backman's writing is imbued with tremendous heart, e
Elyse Walters
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was the small kid in school. Everyone was taller.
My mom use to tell me, “great things come in small packages”.
It’s true.....”Things My Son Needs To Know About The World”.....is a great small package.
It’s only around 200 pages. Some pages only have a few words.
A father loves his son. ....is the most important message in this great little package.
“Because we love you.
That’s all this is about. We want you to be better than us. Because if our kids don’t grow up to be better than us, then what
Diane S ☔
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019, lor-2019
Finding and reading a book that makes one laugh out loud, is to me priceless. Anyone who has parented, knows how easy it is to get overwhelmed. Even if you have watched someone close to you become a parent you will be able to relate to many of the incidents in this book. Some go on a little to long, some are sharp, ironic conversations, but the majority are just too funny.

When I read a book that shows some insight into the life of a favored author, I often find myself wanting a little more info
Carol
4.5 Stars.

Laughs....lots of laughs, words of wisdom....oh so true observations....and mishaps, can't forget the mishaps!

THINGS MY SON NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT THE WORLD brought back so many, now laughable, memories from when my son was a baby and toddler. Although times have greatly changed, some things just don't....like poop!

Backman begins with poop....lots of poop....all different kinds and colors of poop. When will it arrive, always at inopportune times, of course, (will never forget the explo

*Swaroop*
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me-the-reviewer
Note: Thank you Fredrik Backman, Simon & Schuster and NetGalley for the preview copy of this nice book, in exchange for an honest review.

”Words matter. Be better.”

Fredrik Backman’s Things My Son Needs to Know about the World is in many ways similar to his other books, yet this book is quite different. Part memoir and part guide from a father to a son, this book is a wonderful collection of many of life's lessons.

It takes a short while for this book to get engaging and interesting, and then t
Liz
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I am a huge Frederik Backman fan and love his fiction. This collection of essays, written to his 18 month old son, is his first nonfiction. Like his fiction, these essays are sweet. They’re cute. They bring a smile, not necessarily a belly laugh. Although the little mini-chapters, the just sayin’ ones? They’re spot on hysterical as he admits this parenthood thing isn’t nearly as easy as it looks. And no matter the point he’s making, what shines through it all is the love he has for both his wife ...more
Cheri
!! NOW AVAILABLE !!

This is, in part, a memoir of Backman’s own life, a reflection on love in the romantic sense, the marital sense, and the parent-child / father-son sense; a reflection on life, and all the small (and large) life lessons we need to learn along the path from infant to adulthood; and on religion in a somewhat broad and sweeping sense that allows for this being a choice one eventually makes, one way or the other. Overall, it is a life manual - love letter for and to his son, shari
Esil
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fredrik Backman rarely disappoints me in his fiction. It turns out he’s pretty good with non fiction too. This short book is a funny, self-deprecating and loving letter to his two year old son. It is an apology of sorts for Backman’s character flaws and for loving his son too much. It is advice on a panoply of useless and not so useless life issues and skills. The bottom line is be kind to other people, don’t be an arse, adore your mother, forgive your father for his flaws but understand how muc ...more
Malia
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Fredrik Backman is an auto-buy author for me. I'll read just about anything he writes and though Things My Son Needs to Know about the World book was a little different from his fiction, he brought to it similar wit and humanity, which made it an enjoyable, moving read. I liked that this wasn't a read guide, but rather a reflection on life and how being a father has changed that of the author. I wasn't sure what to think when this fiction author turned to a different genre, but he did so well an ...more
Kristy K
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2019, netgalley, essays
Backman’s foray into non-fiction show a more humorous and light side to him than I’m use to with his fiction books I’ve read. He perfectly balances humor and heartfelt moments. It’s cute and funny with moments of poignancy. The love Backman feels for his son (and wife) is evidently clear and his passion for life shines through as well. I loved his vignettes about life, love, and everything in between. A great, short read.

I received an advanced copy through Netgalley in return for an honest revi
Heather
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you so much Netgalley for providing me with an advanced copy of Things My Son Needs to Know About The World by Fredrik Backman in exchange for an honest review.
I was thrilled to be able to get my hands on this book early. I put off reading this book for as long as I could because I knew it wouldn’t take me long to read it and I wanted to have it to look forward to. I will read anything Fredrik Backman writes. His writing is honest and vulnerable and you can just FEEL the emotions he was f
Hamad
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, e-books
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“Words matter. Be better.”

🌟 This was kind of a short book and so will be this review! The book is just 200 pages but as expected from Mr.Backman, those 200 are funny and very important.

🌟 Mr.Backman has such a wonderful writing style that I think makes his book such a success. He also has a kind of an acquired taste of humor that is very similar to mine and that’s why I find his books very relatable and enjoyable.

🌟 As
Jane
*Sigh.*

I am one of Mr. Backman's biggest fans. Even those books of his that aren't my all-time favourites still hold a special place on my bookshelf and in my soul. So it's very difficult for me to say that I did not like this book very much.

I really adore the concept of this book: a collection of essays and other tidbits that Backman has written to his young son. Some of the anecdotes included within are certainly amusing. I really enjoyed the quick notes between the longer essays.

But I strugg
Funny, emotional, and incredibly heartfelt. This collection of personal essays is a winner. It consists of a father's advice to his infant son about things both random and sincere.

The chapters are themed with the following topics:

-What you need to know about motion sensitive bathroom lights
-What you need to know about IKEA
-What you need to know about soccer
-What you need to know about stuff
-What you need to know about being a man
-What you need to know about God and airports
-What you need to kno
Fahime
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
میشه گفت بکمن تو این کتاب، سداریسوار! از زندگیش گفته. تقریبا پنجاه درصد کتاب خاطرات بچهداری بکمن هستن. باقیش توصیههای بکمن هستن به پسرش، در مورد سایر امور زندگی.
به نظرم خوبِ مایل به متوسط بود و به خاطر چند تا خندهی از ته دلی که باعثشون شد، سه ستاره بهش دادم.
شدیدا احساس میکنم کلی از شوخیها و طنزای ظریف کتاب، تو ترجمه شهید شدن. در کل از ترجمهش راضی نبودم. نمیدونم چرا ویراستاری نمیشن خیلی از ترجمهها.
Ghazaleh
به نظرم فردریک بکمن خیلی آدم کول و باحالیه! و همسر ایرانیش از اون هم باحال تر حتی :))
این کتاب داستان نیست، فقط یه سری نامه برای پسرش و چندتا دستورالعمل غذا اس :))
قطعا اگر بتونید زبان اصلی کتاب رو بخونید براتون خیلی خیلی جذاب تره چون همونطور که خود مترجم گفته به دلایل فرهنگی و ممیزی خیلی چیزها طور دیگه ای ترجمه یا حذف شدن.
Armina
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks for making the world a much more beautiful place.. :)
And how can you surprise me with being more perfect, every. single. time?!..
Bam
*3-3.5 stars

Humorous essays written by the author to his baby son with advice for living in the world from the author's own unique perspective but is geared towards entertaining and commiserating with other often sleep-deprived parents. His thoughts reveal a great deal about who Backman is as a man, father, husband. I think it would be amusing to hear the author read these essays himself in an audio version.

I received an arc from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. Many
Karen
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever streams of conscience and words of wisdom as Backman prepares his son to face the world we live in. I love Backman’s style, how he transfers his thoughts about fatherhood (and at times, husbandhood) onto the page. He’s got a unique sense of humor. As with his last non-fiction book, “And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer”, I breezed through this one. It tugged at my heart. I chuckled often and became contemplative at times thinking about my own sons. A quick and good read.
Shayan Majidi
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
واقعا میتونم بگم که دارم عاشق بکمن میشم! طبق چیزی که داخل این کتاب میگه به موسیقی راک و متال که علاقه داره. از منچستر سیتی بدش میاد و به منچستر یونایتد علاقه داره. خوره فیلم و کتابهای فانتزیه! عالیه.
طنز کتاب واقعا خوبه و چندین بار بلند بلند داشتم میخندیدم. البته کتاب برای نسل جدیدی که نسبت به دنیا آپدیت هستن خیلی قابل فهم تره! ترجمه خانم تیمورازف هم واقعا خیلی خوب حق طنز رو ادا میکرد.
Rae
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this review and others on my blog: https://thriftybibliophile.com

Things My Son Needs to Know about the World by Fredrik Backman is a collection of witty essays about fatherhood.

As a parent, I appreciate “in the trenches” stories about parenthood. Being a parent isn’t like what’s portrayed on Facebook–kids smiling and well behaved, all pleases and thank yous and family vacations. Parenting is tough. It’s hard. It’s dirty, and it’s messy. And sometimes, as Fredrik Backman points out in his bo
Brooke
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is short, sweet, and oh so charming. Things My Son Needs to Know About the World is Fredrik Backman’s open letter to his newborn son, made up essays offering life lessons and advice, with short anecdotes in between. It is equal parts humorous and heartwarming, and I found my eyes filling with tears on multiple occasions. I am not a parent, yet these essays spoke to me in a way that I didn’t expect (and if I become a parent someday, I will definitely read this book again – and make my p ...more
Деница Райкова
Фредрик Бакман - "Нещата, които синът ми трябва да знае за света", изд. "Сиела" 2018, прев. Любомир Гиздов

Чаках тази книга с нетърпение.
Защото откакто книгите му започнаха да излизат в България, не съм пропуснала нито една. И защото всичките - с изключение на "Човек на име Уве", която, признавам си, преди четири години реших да прочета доста след излизането й просто за да разбера за какво е цялата шумотевица - попадаха в ръцете ми в мига щом стигнеха до Враца.
Пък и...
Имах чувството, че този път
Etienne
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First time reading this author that sure get a lot of love and... maybe this book doesn't reflect his style, I might try another one one day, but I don't get the hype. I would have like, and thought it would be, a more serious/philosophical book, maybe some humor yes but here it's 95% easy humor and 5% actual content... I wasn't ready for that. If you like this kind of book then you should try it, but if you're looking for some deeper thoughts and thinking about life/fatherhood and the future of ...more
Liza Fireman
I started as a huge fan of Fredrik Backman. He was a very unusual writer that masters in writing about super grumpy old people who hide a heart of gold inside. I loved A Man Called Ove and really enjoed Britt-Marie Was Here. I also liked his novelas and especially The Deal of a Lifetime.
Then he became different I didn't loved as much Beartown and even less Us Against You. Maybe he had too much pressure to publish, but the magic was fading.

In this book he writes to his son, about fatherhood mostl
Olga Zbranek Biernátová
Dali jsme si s Honzou dnes jako audio cestou do Brna a z Brna. Kousek před Kromclem jsem už brečela smíchy. To, jak v panice při nákupu plenek a vlhčených ubrousků koupí plachtu na kulatý gril... úplná pecka. :-D

• Dyngkåt och hur helig som helst
  • Flickan och skulden: En bok om samhällets syn på våldtäkt
  • Världens dåligaste språk: Tankar om språket och människan idag
  • Linas kvällsbok (Linas kvällsbok, #1)
  • Dikter och prosa 1954–2004
  • Vägen mot bålberget
  • Potensgiverne
  • I kroppen min: Resan mot livets slut och alltings början (I kroppen min, #1)
  • Jag ringer mina bröder
  • Hur jag lärde mig förstå världen
  • Fjärilseffekten
  • Pottungen
  • Berättelser från Engelsfors (Engelsfors, #2.5)
  • Kvinnor och äppelträd
  • Var det bra så?
  • Mannen som slutade ljuga
  • Gömda: en sann historia
  • Svensk maffia: En kartläggning av de kriminella gängen
Fredrik Backman is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of A Man Called Ove (soon to be a major motion picture starring Tom Hanks), My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry, Britt-Marie Was Here, Beartown, Us Against You, as well as two novellas, And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer and The Deal of a Lifetime. Things My Son Needs to Know About the World, his first work ...more
“Takoví jsou to muži. Za svítání vyjdou s dvěma holýma rukama na trávník a dovnitř se vrátí z nově postavené verandy. Jakože cože? Já jsem dvěma holýma rukama leda tak vyhrál Grand Theft Auto IV. A to jsem použil cheat all weapons. Tvoji dědečkové si sami postavili domy v době, kdy ještě nebyl Google. Uvědomuješ si, co je to za výkon? To nejsou lidi. To jsou švýcarské armádní nože se strništěm na bradě.” 3 likes
“having kids is in many ways like trying to drive a bulldozer through a china shop. With broken legs. Wearing a back-to-front ski mask. While drunk.” 2 likes