Start by marking “The Queen's Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Queen's Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)

The Queen's Advantage

(Rogue Queen #2)

When Queen Samara Rani decides to repay her debt to Emperor Valentin Kos by rooting out the traitors in his court, she knows his advisors will despise her presence. The unknown traitors hate her because she tricked them out of five million credits, but even his loyal advisors have no use for the queen of rogues and scoundrels.

True to form, Valentin’s advisors want Samara g
Published July 9th 2019 by NYLA (first published June 27th 2019)

Start your review of The Queen's Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

Free online SF serial available here.

It's finished and stuff! It was pretty fairly entertaining and stuff! I shall write a not-so proper review when the Super Extra Polished Version (SEPV™) is published and stuff (in July 2019 and stuff). Now toodeloo and stuff.

Yeah yeah yeah, it's true, there is some disgustingly romantic crap stuff in this story. BUT. There is action and stuff gets shot and stuff explodes and there are yummy political machinations and villainous sch
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read The Queen’s Advantage when it was available on Jessie Mihalik’s blog as a free online serial and I enjoyed it enough that I purchased the final, edited version when it went on sale. The story was officially edited and expanded upon before official publication and I enjoyed the story as much, if not more, the second time around.

Queen Samara Rami promised to help Emperor Valentin Kos figure out the traitors in his court who are trying to have him killed. To fulfil that promise she's t
Veronique
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second part of the story. The narration is this time moved to Valentin’s court, and what a nest of vipers this is! For all its fineries and wealth, this is a rotten place, as our favourite Queen Samara finds out. Her mission - find out which of the Emperor’s advisors is/are against him, and trying to get him killed!

As with the first instalment, we get plenty of action scenes, which are a lot of fun. The relationship between the two main characters develops a little, but the focus of the story is
Lola
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After listening to the first book in this series and enjoying it I decided to listen to book 2 right after it. I think I enjoyed this one even more than book 1. It's filled with action, danger, political intrigue and some romance.

In this book queen Samara Rani goes to the home planet of the Kos empire to help her friend and love interest Emperor Valentin Kos uncover who of his advisers is a traitor and wants him dead. She lands in the middle of political scheming and as soon as she arrives on t
Mara
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: futuristic, novella
Mostly a story divided into an ongoing serial rather than a series in itself. It was less noticeable in the first novella, but here I noticed it. And it seemed a little bit flatter too. Probably because intrigue isn't action, so it really does need more details and less black and white, more depth too...

I'm on the fence whether I want to keep reading, even though I like it. We'll see with chunk 3 I guess :)
Airwreckah
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solid writing

Thoroughly enjoyable with a good protagonist who is not dumb. Romance is good, but no sex, though it is sexyish. Hero is definitely hot but their relationship is natural and built on personalities.
Shanna Matheo
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I really like this series. I just find the books a bit too short.
Laz the Sailor
Jul 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: smut, scifi
As with the first book, this could have been stronger.

But now I'm hooked, and I will read the final book when it comes out later this year.
Saly
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mary
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of those books with no ending . . .

...where the story just peters out. The books have major flaws as well, starting with the main character, the Rogue Queen. Supposedly she is this legendary assassin who somehow got elected queen over a constituency that’s mainly refugees and had to learn to care about her people. We never learn anything about just how it was that she became queen, and that makes it harder to believe that her people would have chosen her for the role.

mThen there’s the fact
Alison
Argh, can it really be two months since I read this novella?

Queen Samara Rani, the Rogue Queen visits Emperor Valentin Kos to discover the traitors within his court. There are kidnappings, explosions, double-crossings and romance all in just 210 pages.

I know I loved this, light-hearted, fast-paced and funny with a good plot, just wish I could give you more details!
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I really loved Mihalik's Polaris Rising so I had no hesitation in starting this Rogue Queen series.  These shorter books began as a free online serial on the author's website.   The feel is similar to Polaris Rising.  It is set in space with various factions, political and action battles between planets and various coalitions.

Sa
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/11/24/...

Time for another bite-sized romance sci-fi adventure by Jessie Mihalik! Like a lot of folks, I first came to these Rogue Queen books after reading Polaris Rising in her Consortium Rebellion series. Of course, once I discovered these novellas which were previously released in serialized format on the author’s website were getting officially published with audiobook releases as well, I just had to pounce.

The Queen’s Advant
Viki /LostForReal/
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, action
It's refreshing to see a good and well-rounded duology! Except this wasn't one of them!

Two books. Relatively short, let me tell you. And great! Except... WHAT the fruge happens NEXT!?

I could growl! Totally growling in my mind. Very angrily.

But hey, let's not make hasty decisions. This could all be resolved so easily - just need a third book that has not been released even if the author already published other books. Coincidence? I think not.

On a more serious note, this was still as good as the f
Kerry
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know the official lengths that divide up shorter works into categories, so I'm going to risk calling this one a novella. It's lovely fun, light and easy and enjoyable and the ending suggests there is more to come. I certainly hope so.

Really, I only have one comment and it's a mild spoiler.

(view spoiler)
Colleen
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, romance
Really fantastic! There were almost too many characters in play to keep track of at times. Otherwise, fast paced action packed fun.
Lilith1323
Jun 12, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!
Ria
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, sci-fi, novella, space
Love this! Poor Samara and Valentin, I hope they get a break soon though.
Maria
May 04, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, series, sale-book
Queen Samara Rani wants to help her new BFF Emperor Valentin Kos who fed her people. And the best way to do that, is to jump into his political world and find all the people that are trying to kill him.

Why I started this book: I knew that it was a novella and I wanted to cross it off the list.

Why I finished it: If you read it fast enough, you can leap over the giant plot holes and general ridiculousness and just enjoy a story about a Rogue Queen who can do everything better than professionals a
Literati Literature Lovers
Good Book, but Rushed.

No space adventures for Samara and Valentin as Samara is paying her debt to Valentin by ferreting our traitors in his empire on his home planet. The author writes a good story, but there is a major flub when it comes to Valentin recounting a story about one of his medals. The way in which explanation is told, it’s as if Samara commented or directly asked about the onyx cross Valentin was wearing. Unfortunately this question or interplay must have been edited out, as Valent
Barbara
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Queen Samara Rani is visiting the court of Emperor Valentin Kos to help him find the traitors that are trying to kill him. She’s a little distracted by the simmering attraction between them, but the sooner she finishes her investigation, the sooner they can get to the good stuff. It doesn’t take long before there’s an attack on them, and the attacks just keep coming, along with vicious rumors and political intrigue. Samara is determined to uncover the traitors and stop the attempts on Valentin’s ...more
Elenariel
Dec 24, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5*
As a chapter by chapter free publication I understand the chance of some repetitions, but I wish they'd be edited for the novel version.
This second installment is a bit less enjoyable than The Queen's Gambit: several things I thought we would be revealed here are, again, left unresolved.
We left Jax being captured so he could be used for information: what kind of informations were gained? Why don't use him/his contribution for the needs in this plot?
Why was Valentin kidnapped but not killed?
Marsha
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The Queen’s Advantage” is a great follow up to book one in the Rogue Queen series. This time Samara is on her way to Kos to fulfill her promise to assist Valentin in figuring out who the traitors are in his advisory staff. She is greeted with disdain and suspicion at every turn but she expected it.

As Samara and her security officer Imogen get the lay of the land they are targeted for assassination or is it Valentin the real target? They both have enemies and it would behoove them to discover wh
Maddy Leon Max
(I'm running on two hours of sleep last night so this is probably going to be painful, for me writing this really - really - short review and whoever decides to read it.)

Jessie Mihalik is on her way to become my go-to author when it comes to sci-fi romance. She knows how to balance action with romance and The Queen's Advantage was everything I hoped it would be. First off, there was a lot more of politics in this one than in the in The Queen's Gambit but just as much of action (which is a great
Suzanne
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
The books in this series begin as serials posted on the author’s blog. I I really enjoyed reading the first in the series, but this second one seemed lifeless. I’d hoped, without reward, that it would improve when she reworked it before publishing it.

The dialogue often is dull even when it’s about dreadful or thrilling topics, and generally doesn’t sound like normal conversation. (Who TALKS like this? “By fifteen, I was a proficient killer. I earned enough credits to buy my augments and my own s
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
To my own surprise, I didn't enjoy this as much as the first.

The ending was great, and so was the twisting family relations. But I felt like Samara was being too much of a cliched showoff? It felt way overused in this one. I didn't really like several moments (i.e. when she was deliberately manipulating Valentin's fellows to help figure out the traitor, when she shoots a spoon (or was it a fork) and possibly the ceiling, going to the seediest bar to get information etc). I didn't like it because
Betty F
Aug 14, 2020 rated it liked it
The plot thickenss! Exciting developments with Samara coming to the Kos empire to figure out who the traitors to Valentin were and ooh the machinations and treachery ran deep. Really enjoyed the bits we got with Rani and Val, propelling their cute pairing along while also showing just how hard it is to rule when people either don't trust you or are willing to turn on you real quick. Was into getting more info about Samara's background as the Dahlia would love an small short story on that and Val ...more
Kari Chapman
Aug 14, 2020 rated it liked it
This book picks up a bit after book 1 with our main character carrying out her promise to come help flush out traitors. Honestly, this book fell a bit flat for me. We keep getting told that both Samara and Valentin are both very competent people, but I'm just need feeling that reflected in the plot. There's a lot of random wandering around while people try to kill them, but nothing that really backed up their reputations. The one bit that came close was Samara telling someone what she used to be ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Age of Deception (The Firebird Chronicles, #2)
  • Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles, #1)
  • Emerald Blaze (Hidden Legacy, #5)
  • The Wind's Call (The Broken Lands, #4)
  • Wayfarer's Keep (The Broken Lands, #3)
  • Deal with the Devil (Mercenary Librarians, #1)
  • Pirate Nemesis (Telepathic Space Pirates #1)
  • Mist's Edge (The Broken Lands, #2)
  • Starbreaker (Endeavor, #2)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Secrets Bound By Sand (Dragon Ridden Chronicles, #4)
  • Twilight's Herald (Aileen Travers, #5)
  • Dragon-Ridden (Dragon Ridden Chronicles, #1)
  • Pirate Consort (Telepathic Space Pirates #2)
  • Dragon Unleashed (Fallen Empire, #2)
  • Of Bone and Ruin (Dragon Ridden Chronicles, #2)
  • Nightchaser (Endeavor #1)
Jessie Mihalik has a degree in Computer Science and a love of all things geeky. A software engineer by trade, Jessie now writes full time from her home in Texas. When she’s not writing, she can be found playing co-op video games with her husband, trying out new board games, or reading books pulled from her overflowing bookshelves.

Sample chapters of all of my books are available on my website!

The C

Rogue Queen (3 books)
  • The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)
  • The Queen's Triumph (Rogue Queen, #3)