Start by marking “Don't Drink the Pink” as Want to Read:
Don't Drink the Pink

Don't Drink the Pink

Follow the special relationship between Madeline and her Grandfather as they both grow and share in the most magical birthday experiences. Filled with secrets to uncover and brimming with imagination, Don't Drink the Pink explores a number of basic concepts including colors, numbers and the reality of growing older.
Published August 1st 2019 by TaleBlade

To ask other readers questions about Don't Drink the Pink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Drink the Pink

Start your review of Don't Drink the Pink
Toni
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magical, sweet, lovely,original- five shiny stars.
Madeline is very close to her grandpa. Everybody considers him a bit crazy, but, for her, he is just full of wonderful surprises. On her first birthday, he brings her a box of little potion bottles and asks her to choose one. She can choose any colour apart from ( you guessed it!) pink. What happens next is the fulfilment of every child's wishes for magic in their lives. Just for one day Madeline breathes fire, turns into a mermaid, controls the
sue
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Madeline and her Grandfather have a very close fun bond.

The illustrations in this book is amazing, eye catching and very well layer out.
Its colourful so makes it very eye catching for young children (and this adult loved it too!).

Each birthday of Madeleines her Grandfather provides her with a potion and a wink of dont drink the pink.

Each potion explores magical things for Madeline that will enthral each child who reads this or has it read to them. The wonders of it all spikes magic.

It was sad
MissBecka
This book was wonderful!
Filled with lovely illustrations (look for the cat's expressions) and a cute story it was not hard to enjoy this book!

Thank you NetGalley and TaleBlade for my DRC.
☕️Kimberly
The story shares the special relationship between Madeline and her grandpa. Each year on her birthday he allows her to drink a special potion or brew that provides unique consequences such as breathing-fire, turning invisible and more. Each year Grandpa says,

Happy birthday, Madeline,
he said with a wink.
Take a potion, take a brew.
Just dont drink the pink.

The story not only offers delightful magical moments as it teaches colors, it also shares the bonds of family, of growing older, illness and
Veronica ⭐️
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
Madeline loves her Grandfather Gilderberry. They have a close relationship.

Dad thinks hes crazy
Mom thinks hes just old
But I think hes amazing
And worth his weight in gold.

Every birthday since her very first birthday Madelines Grandfather has arrived with a box of potions. Madeline gets to choose a colour, but always with the rule just dont drink the pink.
As each year passes wonderful magical things happen when Madeline drinks each potion.

This is an
Maya
These days I'm really into children's books. I don't know if it's the illustrations, the simplicity or just the stories that make my day a bit better. This book has a beautiful story and nice illustrations but the best part of the story was, for me at least, the ending. It was bittersweet. I loved it but was at the same time a bit sad. But I think the kids will really like and enjoy it.

ARC received in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley.
La Coccinelle
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, arc, netgalley
This colourful book is actually kind of a unicorn: it's a self-published picture-book that's actually good. I can probably count on one hand the number of those I've come across.

Don't Drink the Pink is a sweet rhyming story chronicling the ongoing relationship between a little girl and her grandfather. Every year on her birthday, her grandfather lets her choose a new potion from his stash, always with the same admonition: "Just don't drink the pink." As Madeline works through the various potions
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
This was such a sweet story with the most colorful and detailed illustrations. I loved seeing the young girl grow up and all her magical gifts from her grandfather. Very imaginative and will be very fun for children!
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, TaleBlade and the author for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

5 stars.

Such a beautiful book! Both the illustrations and the story are amazing. The illustrations are simple stunningly beautiful. You can buy this book just for the fantastic artwork alone, it's that good! The story is, well it's so heartfelt that I almost shead a tear towards the end and that says a lot given this is a children's picture book. But in saying that, sensitive children might
Laura Thomas
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was enchanted by this book.

The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous. So much detail and vibrant colors with lots to see.

And this is a rhyming book. So smooth and fun to read, I almost sang it the second time around.

Dont Drink The Pink is a magical story. From age one to fourteen, on Madelines birthday, her beloved grandfather lets her choose a potion, always warning her not to drink the pink. Each potion has a magical element, giving her abilities like invisibility and flying. On her
Alexandra
Let's be honest here, what kid wouldn't love a magic Grandpa? I mean, one that can do actual, real, fun magic?

Madeline's grandpa treats her to a magic potion each year on her birthday, each to a different fun, thankfully temporary, result.

Each two page spread covers a birthday, from one to fifteen. The simple story is written in rhyme, in which we see Madeline experience magical results including breathing fire and flying.

The end is a sweet and poignant reminder that grandparents aren't
Christi M
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Birthday's are a special time for Madeline in Don't Drink the Pink. Each year that she grows older her grandfather gives her a choice of magical potions. There's red ones, and blue ones, and yellow ones and more. But the one color she can't pick is pink.

Each birthday when she selects a potion and drinks something magical occurs. With red one she breathes fire, with yellow she has super speed. It's a cute rhyming book with fun pictures that even includes extra things occurring in the background,
Etienne
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5/5. Beautiful book! Marvelous artwork, magical story, even have some vocabulary building in the color department. I'm not really sure about the ending, I like it but at the same time, not so much, I would be curious to see how kids would interpret it. It also have, almost forgot, a way to introduce a dialogue about grief. Very well done. I love it.
Cassandra
I received a complimentary copy.

Oh my heart was so sad as this book was not at all happy, but in the end it might help kids deal with grief or atleast discuss it, Even now I am in tears and could barely get through the last few pages. So beware of the sadness that lingers in this read and enjoy the rhyming and suspense that it leads.

So so sad.
Heather
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(This review will be found on my blog All the Ups and Downs soon.)
I love children's picture books. They're so much fun and usually so lighthearted. When I had the opportunity to review Don't Drink the Pink by B.C.R. Fegan, I jumped at the chance. This book sounded like it would be a fun one! I ended up liking it a lot.

At the beginning of Don't Drink the Pink, we're introduced to Madeline on her first birthday where her Grandpa Gilderberry gives her a box of potions telling her not to drink the
JenLovesBooks
This had a lot of color, love, cute magical moments, and potions for days. And, even when it got a bit more serious along the way, it gave us a nice happy ending. For a child though, I would say that it might be too much to take in. Little ones having to see the main character progress, while their grandfather ages, might sadden them way too much.

It did have it's really fun times though, all the amazing things that Madeline got to experience because of her grandfather. Then, when it seemed to
Donna Maguire
I thought that this was a lovely book to read, it is a really heart-warming story about the bond and love between a young girl and her grandfather. The images in the book are delightful and I thought that they perfectly illustrated the story. It is 5 stars from me for this one, I thought every page was really well done and I can't wait to read it again with my daughter - very highly recommended!!
Ronyell
Pink

I would like to thank NetGalley and TaleBlade for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have been enjoying many of TaleBlades childrens books and I had just recently read their newest book Dont Drink the Pink by B.C.R Fegan along with artwork by Lenny Wen and it was quite an amazing and emotional book to read!

Every year, Madelines grandfather would come and visit Madeline on her birthday and he would give her some special potions. However, Madelines grandfather
Felicity Terry
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bit like my grandfather ... and I'm sure like the grandfather(s) of many of the book's readers ... Madeline's grandpa is considered by some as, well, crazy and yet to Madeline herself there really is no-one quite like him.

Written in verse which in itself is a treat to both young and not so young ears alike. Add wonderful illustrations and you have the truly magical story at the heart of which there is the charming, fun and yet bittersweet tale of the power of love and all the magic ... and
trishajennreads
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An adorable rhyming picture book. The text has a lovely rhythm and with the illustrations, tells a sweet and funny tale. Full review to come on the blog soon.

I received this book for review. This does not impact the content.
Erin Britton
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For young Madeline, one of the highlights of her birthday is the time she spends with her Grandfather Gilderberry. Her dad thinks that the old man is crazy, while her mum puts his eccentricities down to his age, but Madeline knows that hes simply amazing. Every year, she looks forward to hearing his familiar birthday refrain:

Happy birthday, Madeline,
he said with a wink.
Take a potion, take a brew.
Just dont drink the pink.

Grandfather Gilderberry never misses Madelines birthday and he always shows
Cathi - LovesBooksMore
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Madeline is gifted magical potions from her grandpa each year on her birthday. Each one giving her a magical power. For example, the yellow gives her super speed. The red lets her breathe fire. There are ups and downs along the way and experiences with grandpa. It allows her to see grandpa age as well. One year, there is no potion... it allows for interpretation, but I gathered she lost her grandpa. It was a bit sad, but also enlightening for Madeline.
Illustrations were beautiful and magical.
TDCbookreviews
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-c-r-fegan
This book is a great book for kids just learning to read. My five year old loved the repetition in the story so she could "read" it too. There are two times when the author tried to change up the way the years were explained and I felt those parts messed with the flow of the book, other than that I really enjoyed the book and so did my girls. Not really sure what the "moral" was and I don't think my kids took anything from it either, but it's a cute book with on point illustrations. I wish the ...more
Mary   Beth
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book! The story is wonderful and the illustrations are engaging and go perfectly with the story. A special story about a little girl and her grandpa and how they related to each other. I loved it as an adult and the 4 year old that I read it to enjoyed it, especially the colorful and entertaining illustrations. I highly recommend this wonderful book! I am very grateful to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Lauren Paletta
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet story of a little girl and her grandpa; so happy and sad at the same time! Reminds us to enjoy the time we have with our loved ones, especially grandparents, before we leave this world. I really enjoyed the illustrations and they even told the story better than the words did sometimes. This is a book I would purchase for my son's home library, even mine!

#Dontdrinkthepink #Netgalley
Gmr
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this author's work previously, and have yet to be disappointed, so I knew when I saw the review request come through, it was one to get on the calendar. What I didn't count on though was the emotional turn of events! Be warned...bring tissues!

I selected this one to read to my mom while she was waiting to be taken into surgery (outpatient ear surgery...nothing major, but nerve wracking nonetheless). It seemed the perfect match for the reading situation...short on time, in need of a
Liz
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a great story for my son and I to read, but no fault to the author, publisher and such. My son didn't interested in reading on my Kindle. I gave it a quick glance and I loved the pictures and the colors stood out and made for a good story time book.
Erin Kahn
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I opened this book to the first illustrationof an empty inventors workshop giving off strong steampunk vibesI knew it was exactly my kind of childrens picture book.

As I flipped through the next couple pages, my suspicions were confirmed. Early 1900s costumes? An adorable little girl with billowy dark hair? I could eat this book for dessert.

But before I get carried away and start requesting an edition of Little Women illustrated by Lenny Wen, I should get back to, you know, B.C.R.
Annemieke De
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Author B.C.R. Fegan has written several children's books, fairytales and Young Adult Books. With his books he received several awards and prizes. Augustus 2019 his new book Don't Drink the Pink is published. A book especially written for young readers (children in the age of 3 - 8 years).

With Don't Drink the Pink Fegan is giving his readers a magical experience. A beautiful poetic picturebook about the girl Madeline who receives a birthdaypressent from her special and dear grandpa every year.
Chapterlybooks
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It has been a long time since I've read a children book. I received this ARC a few days ago from publisher at NetGalley ❤ and now I'm glad that I picked this up.

Don't Drink the Pink by B.C.R. Fegan is a story of a little girl called Madeline and her grandfather. It is beautifully written and suitable for younger children from toodlers until preschooler. It has a captivating theme which is so magical and exciting. You will feel that you're within Madeline adventure as well.

In each pages, I just
« previous 1 3 next »

• Help Wanted, Must Love Books
  • The Perfect Birthday Recipe
  • The Fairy in the Kettle Gets Magical (The Fairy in the Kettle #3)
  • Mama Bird Lost an Egg
  • Apple Cake: A Gratitude
  • Greta and the Giants: inspired by Greta Thunberg's stand to save the world
  • Little Big Nate: Draws A Blank
  • Concierto de piano
  • Dolly Parton
  • Ella May Does It Her Way
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery (Little People, Big Dreams)
  • No Room for a Pup!
  • Caillou: I Can Do It Myself! (Caillou's Essentials)
  • It Started with a Big Bang: The Origin of Earth, You and Everything Else
  • A Perfect Tree
  • My Brother and Me
  • If the Shoe Fits
  • I Am a Thief!

B.C.R. Fegan is an award-winning author who has written a number of fictional tales for children and young adults.

Raised on a small property on the east coast of Australia, Fegan lived between worlds of thunderous Pacific Ocean waves and a serene, tree-filled valley just minutes away. Fascinated by almost everything except formal education for a time Fegan focused his efforts on the grand