Start by marking “Don't Drink the Pink” as Want to Read:
Don't Drink the Pink

Don't Drink the Pink

Follow the special relationship between Madeline and her Grandfather as they both grow and share in the most magical birthday experiences. Filled with secrets to uncover and brimming with imagination, Don't Drink the Pink explores a number of basic concepts including colors, numbers and the reality of growing older.
Published August 1st 2019 by TaleBlade

To ask other readers questions about Don't Drink the Pink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Drink the Pink

Toni
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Magical, sweet, lovely,original- five shiny stars.
Madeline is very close to her grandpa. Everybody considers him a bit crazy, but, for her, he is just full of wonderful surprises. On her first birthday, he brings her a box of little potion bottles and asks her to choose one. She can choose any colour apart from ( you guessed it!) pink. What happens next is the fulfilment of every child's wishes for magic in their lives. Just for one day Madeline breathes fire, turns into a mermaid, controls the
sue
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Madeline and her Grandfather have a very close fun bond.

The illustrations in this book is amazing, eye catching and very well layer out.
It’s colourful so makes it very eye catching for young children (and this adult loved it too!).

Each birthday of Madeleines her Grandfather provides her with a potion and a wink of “don’t drink the pink”.

Each potion explores magical things for Madeline that will enthral each child who reads this or has it read to them. The wonders of it all spikes magic.

It was s
MissBecka
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to MissBecka by: Etienne
This book was wonderful!
Filled with lovely illustrations (look for the cat's expressions) and a cute story it was not hard to enjoy this book!

Thank you NetGalley and TaleBlade for my DRC.
☕️Kimberly
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story shares the special relationship between Madeline and her grandpa. Each year on her birthday he allows her to drink a special potion or brew that provides unique consequences such as breathing-fire, turning invisible and more. Each year Grandpa says,

“Happy birthday, Madeline,”
he said with a wink.
“Take a potion, take a brew.
Just don’t drink the pink.”

The story not only offers delightful magical moments as it teaches colors, it also shares the bonds of family, of growing older, illness an
Maya
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
These days I'm really into children's books. I don't know if it's the illustrations, the simplicity or just the stories that make my day a bit better. This book has a beautiful story and nice illustrations but the best part of the story was, for me at least, the ending. It was bittersweet. I loved it but was at the same time a bit sad. But I think the kids will really like and enjoy it.

ARC received in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley.
La Coccinelle
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, netgalley, arc
This colourful book is actually kind of a unicorn: it's a self-published picture-book that's actually good. I can probably count on one hand the number of those I've come across.

Don't Drink the Pink is a sweet rhyming story chronicling the ongoing relationship between a little girl and her grandfather. Every year on her birthday, her grandfather lets her choose a new potion from his stash, always with the same admonition: "Just don't drink the pink." As Madeline works through the various potions
Veronica ⭐️
I currently have an international giveaway for a paperback copy. The Burgeoning Bookshelf (ends 14th August)
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
Madeline loves her Grandfather Gilderberry. They have a close relationship.

Dad thinks he’s crazy
Mom thinks he’s just old
But I think he’s amazing
And worth his weight in gold.

Every birthday since her very first birthday Madeline’s Grandfather has arrived with a box of potions. Madeline gets to choose a colour, but always with the rule ‘just don’t drin
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a sweet story with the most colorful and detailed illustrations. I loved seeing the young girl grow up and all her magical gifts from her grandfather. Very imaginative and will be very fun for children!
Laura Thomas
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was enchanted by this book.

The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous. So much detail and vibrant colors with lots to see.

And this is a rhyming book. So smooth and fun to read, I almost sang it the second time around.

Don’t Drink The Pink is a magical story. From age one to fourteen, on Madeline’s birthday, her beloved grandfather lets her choose a potion, always warning her not to drink the pink. Each potion has a magical element, giving her abilities like invisibility and flying. On her fiftee
Alexandra
Let's be honest here, what kid wouldn't love a magic Grandpa? I mean, one that can do actual, real, fun magic?

Madeline's grandpa treats her to a magic potion each year on her birthday, each to a different fun, thankfully temporary, result.

Each two page spread covers a birthday, from one to fifteen. The simple story is written in rhyme, in which we see Madeline experience magical results including breathing fire and flying.

The end is a sweet and poignant reminder that grandparents aren't foreve
Christi M
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Birthday's are a special time for Madeline in Don't Drink the Pink. Each year that she grows older her grandfather gives her a choice of magical potions. There's red ones, and blue ones, and yellow ones and more. But the one color she can't pick is pink.

Each birthday when she selects a potion and drinks something magical occurs. With red one she breathes fire, with yellow she has super speed. It's a cute rhyming book with fun pictures that even includes extra things occurring in the background,
Etienne
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4,5/5. Beautiful book! Marvelous artwork, magical story, even have some vocabulary building in the color department. I'm not really sure about the ending, I like it but at the same time, not so much, I would be curious to see how kids would interpret it. It also have, almost forgot, a way to introduce a dialogue about grief. Very well done. I love it.
Heather
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
(This review will be found on my blog All the Ups and Downs soon.)
I love children's picture books. They're so much fun and usually so lighthearted. When I had the opportunity to review Don't Drink the Pink by B.C.R. Fegan, I jumped at the chance. This book sounded like it would be a fun one! I ended up liking it a lot.

At the beginning of Don't Drink the Pink, we're introduced to Madeline on her first birthday where her Grandpa Gilderberry gives her a box of potions telling her not to drink the
JenLovesBooks
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This had a lot of color, love, cute magical moments, and potions for days. And, even when it got a bit more serious along the way, it gave us a nice happy ending. For a child though, I would say that it might be too much to take in. Little ones having to see the main character progress, while their grandfather ages, might sadden them way too much.

It did have it's really fun times though, all the amazing things that Madeline got to experience because of her grandfather. Then, when it seemed to g
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, TaleBlade and the author for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

5 stars.

Such a beautiful book! Both the illustrations and the story are amazing. The illustrations are simple stunningly beautiful. You can buy this book just for the fantastic artwork alone, it's that good! The story is, well it's so heartfelt that I almost shead a year towards the end and that says a lot given this is a children's picture book. But in saying that, sensitive children might
Cassandra
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received a complimentary copy.

Oh my heart was so sad as this book was not at all happy, but in the end it might help kids deal with grief or atleast discuss it, Even now I am in tears and could barely get through the last few pages. So beware of the sadness that lingers in this read and enjoy the rhyming and suspense that it leads.

So so sad.
Ronyell
Pink

I would like to thank NetGalley and TaleBlade for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have been enjoying many of TaleBlade’s children’s books and I had just recently read their newest book “Don’t Drink the Pink” by B.C.R Fegan along with artwork by Lenny Wen and it was quite an amazing and emotional book to read!

Every year, Madeline’s grandfather would come and visit Madeline on her birthday and he would give her some special potions. However, Madeline’s grandfa
Erin Britton
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For young Madeline, one of the highlights of her birthday is the time she spends with her Grandfather Gilderberry. Her dad thinks that the old man is crazy, while her mum puts his eccentricities down to his age, but Madeline knows that he’s simply amazing. Every year, she looks forward to hearing his familiar birthday refrain:

“Happy birthday, Madeline,”
he said with a wink.
“Take a potion, take a brew.
Just don’t drink the pink.”

Grandfather Gilderberry never misses Madeline’s birthday and he always
Cathi - LovesBooksMore
Madeline is gifted magical potions from her grandpa each year on her birthday. Each one giving her a magical power. For example, the yellow gives her super speed. The red let’s her breathe fire. There are ups and downs along the way and experiences with grandpa. It allows her to see grandpa age as well. One year, there is no potion... it allows for interpretation, but I gathered she lost her grandpa. It was a bit sad, but also enlightening for Madeline.
Illustrations were beautiful and magical.
TDCbookreviews
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: b-c-r-fegan
This book is a great book for kids just learning to read. My five year old loved the repetition in the story so she could "read" it too. There are two times when the author tried to change up the way the years were explained and I felt those parts messed with the flow of the book, other than that I really enjoyed the book and so did my girls. Not really sure what the "moral" was and I don't think my kids took anything from it either, but it's a cute book with on point illustrations. I wish the c ...more
trishajennreads
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An adorable rhyming picture book. The text has a lovely rhythm and with the illustrations, tells a sweet and funny tale. Full review to come on the blog soon.

I received this book for review. This does not impact the content.
Erin Kahn
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
As soon as I opened this book to the first illustration—of an empty inventor’s workshop giving off strong steampunk vibes—I knew it was exactly my kind of children’s picture book.

As I flipped through the next couple pages, my suspicions were confirmed. Early 1900s costumes? An adorable little girl with billowy dark hair? I could eat this book for dessert.

But before I get carried away and start requesting an edition of Little Women illustrated by Lenny Wen, I should get back to, you know, B.C.R.
Annemieke De
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author B.C.R. Fegan has written several children's books, fairytales and Young Adult Books. With his books he received several awards and prizes. Augustus 2019 his new book Don't Drink the Pink is published. A book especially written for young readers (children in the age of 3 - 8 years).

With Don't Drink the Pink Fegan is giving his readers a magical experience. A beautiful poetic picturebook about the girl Madeline who receives a birthdaypressent from her special and dear grandpa every year. It
Dr.Loverbooks
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been a long time since I've read a children book. I received this ARC a few days ago from publisher at NetGalley ❤ and now I'm glad that I picked this up.

Don't Drink the Pink by B.C.R. Fegan is a story of a little girl called Madeline and her grandfather. It is beautifully written and suitable for younger children from toodlers until preschooler. It has a captivating theme which is so magical and exciting. You will feel that you're within Madeline adventure as well.

In each pages, I just c
Gmr
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read this author's work previously, and have yet to be disappointed, so I knew when I saw the review request come through, it was one to get on the calendar. What I didn't count on though was the emotional turn of events! Be warned...bring tissues!

I selected this one to read to my mom while she was waiting to be taken into surgery (outpatient ear surgery...nothing major, but nerve wracking nonetheless). It seemed the perfect match for the reading situation...short on time, in need of a dist
Steff Pasciuti
Literary
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Don’t Drink the Pink, by B. C. R. Fegan, is a children’s story about a little girl, Madeline, and her quirky grandfather who is always full of surprises. From the time that she is one year old, Madeline gets to choose one of her grandfather’s magical potions each year as a birthday gift, always following her grandfather’s warning not to select the pink one. Every birthday she is excited to discover what special ability the potion will give her that day. The tradition continues even as she gets o ...more
Charlotte
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story about Madeline and the consequences of the different potions she is gifted each year on her birthday from her wizened grandpa.
Written in the form of poetry, I found it both entertaining (a good pace accompanied with cute illustrations) and with a meaningful narrative that cleverly explores ideas of loss and pain with a magical twist.
I give this 4.5 star
Nicola Smith
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My five year old son and I absolutely loved Don't Drink the Pink. In fact, he made me read it to him twice, one straight after the other, partly because he loved it and partly because he wanted to read it the second time after taking on board what happens in it.

The book begins on Madeline's first birthday. Her beloved grandfather is always busy in his workshop cooking up, as it turns out, wonderful potions that give Madeline a superpower. Each year, on her birthday, she gets to choose a new poti
Amanda Harris
This book was adorable! The illustrations were vividly colored and allowed my eyes to feast without being overwhelmed. I liked how the story rhymed and had a catchy phrase that my kiddo could pick up a couple pages in and help me read along. We found the story both funny and heartwarming. A sweet book!
« previous 1 3 next »
B.C.R. Fegan is an award-winning author who has written a number of fairy tales and fantasies for children and young adults.

Raised on a small hobby farm only minutes from some of Australia’s greatest beaches, Fegan grew up inspired by the power of natures ambience. From the intensity of the frequent summer storms, to the overwhelming serenity of a lonely beach in the early hours of the morning. Hi