Start by marking “Frankly in Love” as Want to Read:
Frankly in Love

Frankly in Love

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  19,196 ratings  ·  4,120 reviews
Frank Li is a high school senior living in Southern California. Frank's parents emigrated from Korea, and have pretty much one big rule for Frank - he must only date Korean girls.

But he's got strong feelings for a girl in his class, Brit - and she's not Korean. His friend Joy Song is in the same boat and knows her parents will never accept her Chinese American boyfriend, s
Published September 12th 2019 by Penguin (first published September 10th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Frankly in Love, please sign up.
JME It's was a fairly typical and predictable teen fiction. Of course gays should be included. …moreIt's was a fairly typical and predictable teen fiction. Of course gays should be included. (less)
Donna Yes! I really loved it. Well plotted, interesting, a crew of friends I believed in, a teen who acted like a teen (for good and ill), well written, pul…moreYes! I really loved it. Well plotted, interesting, a crew of friends I believed in, a teen who acted like a teen (for good and ill), well written, pulled me along. Really cool view into a 1st gen immigrant family and urban CA.(less)

·  19,196 ratings  ·  4,120 reviews

Start your review of Frankly in Love
Chloe
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads, 5-stars, arc
This book:
• Was SO relatable (Frank is Korean American and I related to a LOT of his experiences)
• Has the fake dating trope
• Has amazing characters
• Explores complex family relationships
• Explores race
• Has an adorable romance
• Has humour
• Is simply everything

I highly recommend checking this out if you're into any/all of these things! This was a super anticipated release for me and it did not disappoint. This comes out 12th September!

TW: cancer

Thank you to Penguin Random House Australia for pr
Kai
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Frankly, Frank Li is a bit of a dick.

We all know this book is going to be a bestseller. The cover is great, the story is promising, the hype is real. But if I had to describe this book in one word? Weird. So so weird.

I'm obviously not Korean so I can't speak for the realistic portrayal of growing up as a second-generation Korean teenager in the US. It felt real enough though. Frank and his Korean-American friends all struggle with the huge gap between the expectations of their parents and the Am
jessica
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
this is written by nicola yoons husband and there are no greater couple goals than spouses who write together. i love that for them.

however, i will say that i prefer nicolas stories to her husbands. and thats not because anything is blatantly wrong with this, its just personal storytelling preferences.

what missed the mark for me is the promise of fake dating (one of my fave tropes), but the fake dating takes place for only a couple of chapters. i get that its the natural progression of the plot,
Warda
Jan 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
YOU GUYS THIS BOOK!!
It's my life (except the fake-dating)!
I mean, every ethnic house-hold can relate to the whole dating within your race nonsense and juggling your culture alongside the society you actually grew up in.

Our parents, man.
Confused.com!
Emer (A Little Haze)
Please don't promise me fake dating if you're not gonna be cute about it. This book was such a freaking let down I can't.

I JUST CAN'T

I hated it so much.

There are gonna be unmarked spoilers guys so read this at your own discretion because I just can't talk about this properly without revealing spoilers.

Omg the writing..... THE WRITING WAS AWFUL!!!!!
Did the author Yoon want to be grandiloquent and overly verbose???
Or did he want to be painfully prosaic????
BECAUSE BOTH STYLES WERE PRESENT AND O
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This book was okay! Not a new favorite but I enjoyed the time I spent reading it.

TW: racism, shootings, cheating, cancer, death of a loved one
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oh no! I didn’t intend to blurt out the story but I couldn’t hold my words! Now I have spoiler free review! You may skip it, view it after reading book or burn before reading! It’s all up to you!!!

Another book turned me into Foucault pendulum swinging between three and four, too many readers may be called me “cruel bitch” but I think 3.45 stars won’t be rounded up to 4 !

Surprisingly at the beginning I was so ready to give five stars because from the first pages, dry humor, sarcastic story-tellin
Leona  Petrovic
Oct 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. ...more
demi. ♡
❥ 3 / 5 stars

Overall of this book is okay. It’s really entertaining and easy for you to enjoy, laugh and cry (maybe just a little because it’s not that sad) while reading it but man, my one and only biggest problem with this book is that I. DON’T. LIKE. FRANK. LI. I don’t like this guy even a bit. I don’t like him since he thought of another person when he was with someone else and that person who he thought of already had a boyfriend. See? Is this okay? Even if I can predict how the story f
Kevin (Irish Reader)
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
I finally finished this book! I started this back in May and only now finished it. Unfortunately, this book was disappointing for me as I expected to love it a lot more than I did. This book has the “fake dating” trope, which I love, but I found that it didn’t last long enough for me. I didn’t really like the romance either and I also didn’t like really any of the characters. Some of the things the main character would say were really cheesy and it just made me roll my eyes a lot. I feel like if ...more
Larry H
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm between 4 and 4.5 stars.

Frankly in Love is a fascinating look at love, friendship, cultural identity, parent-child relationships, and prejudice. I had been waiting for this book to come out for a while, and David Yoon certainly didn't disappoint me!

Frank Li is smart and funny, a first-generation American who tries hard to be a good son and a good friend. His parents want him to study hard and especially meet a nice Korean girl, so he doesn’t get disowned like his older sister.

Of course,
Jessica
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book for free from the publisher. Since I received an ARC, my quotes from the book are tentative.

I give this book 4.5 stars which rounds up to 5.

This book was so good! It’s a romance but it goes so much deeper than just that. At the core, it’s a story about first love, racism, identity, and family.

I absolutely loved that this book did not shy away from talking about racism, especially the racism of Koreans towards African Americans and other Asian communities. I haven
Erin
Goodreads giveaway win!

Reading Rush: Read a debut author

Y'ALL!

T.H.I.S. B.O.O.K.

I loved it!

But first can we just take a minute to discuss the fact that David Yoon & Nicola Yoon are one of my new favorite couples.

WHY AM I STILL SO SINGLE???

Now on to the review.....

Frank Li has two names. Frank Li, his American name. Then there's Sung-Min Li, his Korean name. Frank barely speaks Korean. He was born and raised in Southern California.

Even so, his parents still expect him to end up with a nice K
Laurie Anderson
This book is amazing - one of the best of 2019 for me. Pre-order it now, or ask your library to do it.
Irina
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read like 200 pages but I can't bring myself to finish this book. I don't know if it's the writing style or the story in general but I just don't like it. I think that this kind of books are not for me anymore. ...more
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
hands down one of my favourite books of the year.
Tatiana
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: John Green fans
Shelves: starred-2019, 5, morris, ya, 2019
Penguin is promoting Frankly in Love very heavily. It appears they are banking on David Yoon becoming the next John Green. Maybe he will, we'll see. If you are a big John Green fan, and like his nerdy humor, precocious pretentiousness, fascination with girls as otherworldly creatures, you should give this book a go. A cute romance Frankly in Love is definitely not. Frank's love life is the weakest part of this novel, IMO. But more on that later.

Frankly in Love is more of a coming-of-age story,
Isabella
Actual rating: 4.5 stars (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

You’re gonna wanna read this one!!
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Thank you so much to Penguin Teen Australia for the review copy!

trigger warnings: racism, shooting, panic attack, cheating, (view spoiler)

representation: Korean American rep (own voices), African American rep, panic attacks, gay rep.

I really enjoyed this one, although not as mu
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
DNF at 39%

"I try to eat my lower lip. Then I remember the first Rule of Being a Person: no auto-cannibalism."

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I was really excited about starting Frankly in Love by David Yoon, but it really missed the mark for me. Additionally, this is a DNF, which I usually save for my DNF&Y post at the end of the month
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
hello guys! guess what? its time to bring on the trumpets again:
  because well hello! says hello to my new disappointment of 2019!!  🎺🎺🎺 🎺

i wanted to love this so so much you cant imagine my happiness when i saw the synopsis and than got the arc. Why do my anticipated books and me not have a happy ending??? :(

#this review contains spoilers because i cant tell u all the wrongs without spoiling

I have no idea where to even begin? i shall start with the blurb i guess?
SO, we have Frank Li w
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Actual footage of me attempting to check this out from the YA room of the downtown library . . . . .

Frank Li is your regular meganerd who, when not studying in an attempt to score 1500 or better on the SATs in order to get into “The Harvard,” can usually be found with his buddy Q . . . .

Like most nerds, Q and I spend our time watching obscure movies, playing video games, deconstructing the various absurdities of reality, and so
sarah
May 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews, read-2020
a look inside my head when trying to rate this book:

+ 3 stars for being genuinely enjoyable
- 2 stars for the relationships
+1/2 star for their realistic nature
+1 star for the coming of age discussions
-1/2 star for theterminal illness as a plot device
+ 1/2 star for the chapter headings (I'm a sucker I know)

= ★★★☆☆.5 stars

I guess you could say I'm conflicted.

Fr
Sara
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Realy not my cup of tea , I just had a bunch of problems with this book, wich is so sad because my expectations where realy high, gave it 2 ⭐⭐
may ❀
i've seen so many mixed reviews for this book lately and it kinda had me feeling unenthusiastic for it but HEY LOOK THERE'S GOOD NEWS, i actually really enjoyed reading this.

low expectations actually work, wow

so this book wasn't revolutionary. but i think it set out what it meant to do and it had some really insightful, inspiring, moving moments.

i really liked the complex parent-children relationships we got to see, especially from the korean families. i liked the talk on race and fitting in a
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)

I really enjoyed Frank's voice in this one, I found him immediately relatable and I love how the novel tackled racism in one's own family. The fake dating trope was lots of fun, but it does turn quite serious towards the end of the book when it comes to family.

I didn't really like Frank as a person because of how he treated his friends, family and the girls that he dates. He's quite self-centered. I also didn't like how Q was treated in the overall story arc.

Full review posted on Happy
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ by: 1
4.5★

My first arc-read-before-the-book-is-published! I'm so excited! Thank you so much Penguin NZ for gifting me this & for being happy for me to share my opinion of the book.

I used to say about my parents, "I just can't talk to Mum & Dad!" But American born Frank really couldn't talk to his parents - their English was bad and his Korean was worse. A lifetime of misunderstanding come to a head in Frank's final semester at high school. Frank is clear on two things - he doesn't want to
Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books)
A hugethank you to PenguinTeen for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review! I received this book as part of a promotion.

Y’all, how little did I know what I was getting myself into when I read this book. I knew it was going to be good, and I expected a cute, fluffy romance but it was so much more than that. In the best way possible.

All quotes are taken from the ARC and may change in the finished copy.

Content warning: death of a loved one, racism

“We all want to love who we wa
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

2.5 Stars

Frankly in Love by David Yoon is a book I had been highly anticipating as I have seen it hyped up everywhere. Unfortunately, much of the book is stereotypical and underdeveloped, and there is no plot, just drama. I found that the main character is difficult to support, and many events are just tossed into the plot needlessly. Honestly, I am disappointed in this one.

Frank Li is a Korean-American whose parents only allow him to date Korean girls. When Frank
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Rating: 4

Thank you Penguin Random House International for providing me with a gifted review copy and inviting me to join this blog tour. All opinions expressed are my own.

This is possibly one of the best debuts I have ever read. I truly fell in love with the story and characters. So many emotions were expressed reading this. I went from laughing to crying all at the same time. I can't express how important this book is, and I can't wait for you all to read it!

The book centers around Frank Li and
ARTBA 2020: Frankly in Love 5 18 Jul 13, 2020 12:47PM
Young Adult Conte...: #20 Frankly in Love by David Yoon 13 30 Jan 23, 2020 10:50AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Frankly In Love by David Yoon - Restarting January 15th 2020 58 57 Jan 17, 2020 01:32PM
Bookish First Rea...: Frankly In Love by David Yoon 1 5 Oct 22, 2019 12:59PM

• Yes No Maybe So
  • Tweet Cute
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Clap When You Land
  • All the Bad Apples
  • Imaginary Friend
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Opposite of Always
  • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • Välj mig
  • Scars Like Wings
  • Slay
  • The Lady Rogue

Articles featuring this book

“Humanity's greatest strength - and also the reason for its ultimate downfall - is its ability to normalize even the bizarre.” 34 likes
“People who let themselves learn new things are the best kind of people.” 34 likes