Start by marking “Hexhunter (Hexworld #4)” as Want to Read:
Hexhunter (Hexworld #4)

Hexhunter

(Hexworld #4)

Detective Bill Quigley fell in love with the familiar Isaac the night they met. But after more than two years, it’s time to admit to himself that Isaac doesn’t return his feelings.

Isaac knows he’s too broken by his experiences for anyone to fall in love with. Especially someone like Bill, who deserves a partner unplagued by Isaac’s nightmares and doubts.

When children go
Published February 8th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Hexhunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hexhunter

~Volha~
Every book by Jordan L. Hawk is great, and this one is no exception. I've had a soft spot for Isaac since the first book and knew his story will be heart felt and an incredible journey. I was not disappointed. This is wonderful slow burn romance with lots of longing, denying and angst. I loved every moment of it.

Bill is such a sweet and caring man. He has loved Isaac for a long time but when he tries to move on, unsuccessfully if I might add, Isaac finally puts all his cards on the table and wa
fleurette
Hexhunter

Finally, Bill and Isaac story! And let me say that I am not even a bit disappointed.

At first, judging Isaac's behaviour I was afraid that the whole book will be full of drama and Bill and Isaac dancing around each other with Sienn being a smoke screen and a sort of casualty of this situation. Fortunately, the author have mercy over us and poor Isaac and Bill. Their story is as sweet as can be but not without some villain and his mischievous plan.

This suspense part is pretty well-done. I like t
Eugenia
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, hurt
Fantastic!! 4.5 Stars!

What an amazing addition to the Hexworld series! I loved this installment which featured Isaac and Bill. Do yourself the favor of retracing the previous ones for fun before launching into this one since ALL of the witches and familiars play substantial roles in this one. I wish I had and was playing brain catch-up a good part of the time.

Despite my memory loss, I was fully captivated by this one—what’s that tell you? Ya, this one rocked!

So, Isaac is suffering PTSD from his
Chris, the Dalek King
For years Isaac has been pining after Detective Bill Quigley. But if there is one thing that Isaac knows, it is that he doesn’t deserve the kind-hearted man. After all, what on earth would compel someone so nice and gentle to bind themselves to a familiar whose magic seems set on linking to the worst that humanity has to offer. No…Isaac is tainted and not for the likes of Bill Quigley. It’s for the best, really.

Then Isaac gets tasked to help Bill out on an investigation into the murder of a nun
Lisa The Novel Approach
Hexworld’s pre-turn of the 20th century, alternate New York City bears all the distinctions of Jordan L. Hawk’s world building acumen and fertile imagination. This is a city where magic flows freely and yet feels as though it still could have existed, owing to the abundance of ambient qualities and other small but significant details the author intermingles with the narrative to ground readers in the setting. The overall tone of this book is different from the others in the series, however, and ...more
Amanda
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I read the first book Hexbreaker, I'm looking forward to Isaac and Bill's pairing and Hexhunter didn't disappoint. Isaac is the character that seems to suffer the most in the series, first he was rejected and hurt by his fated witch, then subsequently forced bonded with a scumbag. To say Isaac is not looking forward to any relationship at all is an understatement. He don't even want to shift into his dog form. However, Bill is ever the patient man and waited for Isaac all these years. ...more
Steven
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A bit shell shocked. But in an absolutely wonderful way.

Jordan L Hawk has given their readers perhaps the darkest installment in the Hexworld series and it is glorious. Loss and hope and redemption. Rising to the challenge and fighting for the light that we often lose sight of.

The author doesn’t shy away from dragging their characters (or readers) into those blackened moments of utter despair but their is always those tiny, glinting sparkles that reflect some unseen light. Hawk makes us - and
Ami
We have Bill Quigley and Isaac story!! I've wanted to read their story for a while now, and I'm so happy that it finally happened. Bill is such a DARLING -- I love his kindhearted soul. He's been crushing hard on Isaac since the first time, but Isaac standoffish behavior makes Bill thinks that Isaac doesn't like him. Isaac, on the other hand, thinks that he's broken, which is why he doesn't want to give in to his feeling towards the Detective.

I'm happy that it doesn't take long for Bill and Isaa
Achim
4.5
In this alternate NYC of the year 1900 the situation for familiars didn't change since we left Hexslayer. They are still in danger of force bonding by power hungry witches and treated like something more animal than human by the normal citizens. Nobody knows that better than Isaac who was nearly drained from his magic by an evil witch and was rescued nearly too late during the events of Hexbreaker. On the outside he survived and a lot of people suppose he's strong again and mostly processed t
Joyfully Jay
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Hexhunter is the fourth novel in Jordan L. Hawk’s fantastic Hexworld series. I feel like the further we go with this series, the more interesting and developed the world building becomes. I just love this world of witches and familiars and think Hawk is doing a fabulous job creating some really interesting series arcs, while still creating wonderful pairings and giving great romantic stories as well.

In Hexhunter, we get Bill and Isaac’s story. Each of these men ha
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Detective Bill Quigley first met Isaac, the mastiff familiar, the night Isaac was rescued from the witch who kidnapped and tormented him to force his magic for illegal uses. He’s head over heels for the quiet young man who works for MWP (Metropolitan Witch Police) but Isaac doesn’t seem to return his regard. In fact, Isaac seems quiet and withdrawn most of the time; definitely not someone who’d appreciate Bill’s advances. So when Sionn, the owl familiar who works with Isaac, asks Bill out, he ac ...more
Alisa

Liked it but didn't love it.
Lisa
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved being back in this world. Bill finally gets it together with Isaac. I loved the fact that although this was their story, there were plenty of appearances by the other characters in the series.
This time the boys are teying to find orphans who had been taken to make into familiars.
Hoping there will be more from this world soon.
Heather C
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Isaac and Bill! A bit predictable but so happy to finally see them get their HEA.
Em
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall fine. I really liked the ending - not enough to bump it up to 4 stars, but a lot - but the first half or so dragged for me. I'd forgotten a bunch of previous Hexworld stuff that mattered, and it felt a bit tell-y. I also skimmed most of the sex scenes. Jordan writes great sex scenes, the prose was no issue, but most of them felt extraneous to me in this book. More "hey let's have a sex break" than anything that moved the characters forward.

It moved the overall Hexworld plot along quite
Fritz42

I've wanted Isaac's story for a while now, so I was extremely excited to read this one. Time since Isaac's capture and release in Hexbreaker has been hard for him. Nightmares and memories plague him, and he is avoiding his mastiff form in hopes of being able to forget. He feels tainted in a number of ways, and that prevents him from reaching out to friends and to the man he really loves.

Bill Quigley is assigned a case of investigating the death of a nun. As the liaison between the cops
Helen Kord
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, historical, fantasy, m-m
God, this book was beautiful.
I've been waiting for Isaac's story ever since he appeared in Hexbreaker and dear lord was it worth it. It was exactly what I hoped for for these two absolute sweethearts. It was a tale of love, honesty and reclamation; reclamation of your body and soul after years of abuse, reclamation of choice, reclamation of your life. When Isaac at one point says (view spoiler), I burst into tears in public.

The overall mystery of the series continue
Donna
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 0-lgbtq-read
Bill and Isaac? The Dynamic Duo!!! Right? Life had knocked both of them down so hard they were struggling to find the strength to get back up, but together? They saved the day! (Well, with a little help from their friends, which is how it is supposed to be!)

I find this world that JLH has built fascinating and sincerely hope that there will be more to come...
Drianne
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, m-m, sf
FINALLY this series addressed my major complaint/dislike about soul bonds: that you don't *pick* who to bond with, and what if your fated person isn't someone you love. Well, Isaac decided to pick someone else, YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Teresa
Great addition to the series!

I really enjoyed seeing Isaac come to terms with himself. Bill was so supportive and caring. The mystery was great although I need to go back and reread the first books to remember the overarching plot.
Monica
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my heart!

The sweetness and respect these men show for each other is beautiful. Love the magic system in the Hexworld books, too.
Jenn (not Lily)
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been waiting for Isaac's happy ending for a while now, and this was definitely worth it!
ABV
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy
Ce n'est pas le tome qui m'a le plus plu, mais j'ai tout de même passé un agréable moment de lecture.
Dana
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Reviewed for Rainbow Gold Reviews. A copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

With every book I read by Jordan L. Hawk I become a bigger fan. Their stories always have a touch of paranormal but take place in a world like ours – present day and in history. With a little wiggle room, the author tries to give an accurate portrait of the time the story takes place. Their characters are unique and always lovable even when they are obnoxious or stand-offish. Each story is so enjoyable and i
Annie Maus
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the first in Jordan L. Hawk’s "Hexworld" series, Hexbreaker, at the end of 2016 and swore I’d get future installments… except my backlist overflows. Grateful for the chance to return with Hexhunter, I rushed to catch up with books 2 and 3. Once again, Hawk knocks a hit out of the ballpark. While Hexhunter works as a standalone, why miss out on perfection?

At the turn of the paranormal 20th Century in New York City, Bill Quigley, who hides his criminal history and witch nature, is liaison
Colin Hardy
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story builds on other stories from the series and involves characters who have had stories in their own right as well as, in this case, ones that are either tangential or new. The core to the series involves corruption and misuse of magic contested by a growing group of witches and their familiars. It follows a similar pattern to the other stories whereby the plot facilitates the coming together of two dissimilar individuals whose bonding makes them greater than their individual strengths. ...more
Emilie
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a Patreon ARC.

I had been looking forward to another book in the Hex series. Some fans were extremely focused on it being Isaac's story, but I hadn't gotten a deep feeling for what Isaac was like from earlier books, just that Cicero was absolutely determined to find him because they were very good friends.

Mx. Hawk had Jewish sensitivity readers read to make sure Isaac's Judaism was portrayed realistically, or as realistically as things go in a fantasy story. I know more Ashkenazi Jewish hi
Chancey Knowles
Jordan Hawk does an amazing job of nestling her Hex World into late 19th / early 20th century New York, and making it feel like it is part of our history. The details she weaves in lend to the feel of authenticity. She writes involving all 5 physical senses making it easy to imagine it in the "minds eye".

This one had a different feel than the others to me. It is also the 1st pairing where a familiar chooses a witch not recognized by his magic, and that part made the bonding feel more satisfying
Grammy 1
Genre: Paranormal Mystery Suspense
Rated: Mature M/M
Release date: Feb.8, 2019
Pages: 244

I love to return to this world! The historical times, the horse drawn carts, the old world feel of the city and its people. Ms Hawk lets the times feed her characters, their clothing, their ideology, where they have come from, even their education. Also returning we get to see old friends we have c
Kendra Patterson
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bill Quigley is a witch with little potential. He started out as a beat cop with Tom Halloran (Hexbreaker). He's been in love with Issac since he first saw him. He took the position of detective liaison between the regular cops and the Metropolitan Witch Police to be close to Issac.

Issac is a familiar who's witch denied him in a horrible way. After being further abused and forced bonded to another witch; he's done looking to bond and has little trust for witches. He's in love with Bill but will
Jordan L. Hawk is a non-binary queer author from North Carolina. Childhood tales of mountain ghosts and mysterious creatures gave them a life-long love of things that go bump in the night. When they aren’t writing, they brew their own beer and try to keep the cats from destroying the house. Their best-selling Whyborne & Griffin series (beginning with Widdershins) can be found in print, ebook, ...more

Hexworld (4 books)
  • Hexbreaker (Hexworld, #1)
  • Hexmaker (Hexworld, #2)
  • Hexslayer (Hexworld, #3)