Start by marking “Hexhunter (Hexworld #4)” as Want to Read:
Hexhunter (Hexworld #4)

Hexhunter

(Hexworld #4)

Detective Bill Quigley fell in love with the familiar Isaac the night they met. But after more than two years, it’s time to admit to himself that Isaac doesn’t return his feelings.

Isaac knows he’s too broken by his experiences for anyone to fall in love with. Especially someone like Bill, who deserves a partner unplagued by Isaac’s nightmares and doubts.

When children g
Published February 8th 2019

Start your review of Hexhunter (Hexworld #4)
~Volha~
Every book by Jordan L. Hawk is great, and this one is no exception. I've had a soft spot for Isaac since the first book and knew his story will be heart felt and an incredible journey. I was not disappointed. This is wonderful slow burn romance with lots of longing, denying and angst. I loved every moment of it.

Bill is such a sweet and caring man. He has loved Isaac for a long time but when he tries to move on, unsuccessfully if I might add, Isaac finally puts all his cards on the table and wa
fleurette
Hexhunter

Finally, Bill and Isaac story! And let me say that I am not even a bit disappointed.

At first, judging Isaac's behaviour I was afraid that the whole book will be full of drama and Bill and Isaac dancing around each other with Sienn being a smoke screen and a sort of casualty of this situation. Fortunately, the author have mercy over us and poor Isaac and Bill. Their story is as sweet as can be but not without some villain and his mischievous plan.

This suspense part is pretty well-done. I like t
Cadiva
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So, so good, Bill and Isaac's romance is a triumph

I absolutely adore Jordan's Hexworld series, the world building is beyond brilliant, mixing New York at the turn of the 20th century with Victorian Steampunk.

Isaac has been a part of the world since Tom and Cicero joined forces to help rescue him in book one and Bill Quigley has been involved in his role as honest copper since then too.

The slow burn tension between them has been building up throughout this series of intertwined books until it fin
Eugenia
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-romance, hurt
Fantastic!! 4.5 Stars!

What an amazing addition to the Hexworld series! I loved this installment which featured Isaac and Bill. Do yourself the favor of retracing the previous ones for fun before launching into this one since ALL of the witches and familiars play substantial roles in this one. I wish I had and was playing brain catch-up a good part of the time.

Despite my memory loss, I was fully captivated by this one—what’s that tell you? Ya, this one rocked!

So, Isaac is suffering PTSD from his
Lisa The Novel Approach
Hexworld’s pre-turn of the 20th century, alternate New York City bears all the distinctions of Jordan L. Hawk’s world building acumen and fertile imagination. This is a city where magic flows freely and yet feels as though it still could have existed, owing to the abundance of ambient qualities and other small but significant details the author intermingles with the narrative to ground readers in the setting. The overall tone of this book is different from the others in the series, however, and ...more
Chris, the Dalek King
For years Isaac has been pining after Detective Bill Quigley. But if there is one thing that Isaac knows, it is that he doesn’t deserve the kind-hearted man. After all, what on earth would compel someone so nice and gentle to bind themselves to a familiar whose magic seems set on linking to the worst that humanity has to offer. No…Isaac is tainted and not for the likes of Bill Quigley. It’s for the best, really.

Then Isaac gets tasked to help Bill out on an investigation into the murder of a nun
Amanda
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I read the first book Hexbreaker, I'm looking forward to Isaac and Bill's pairing and Hexhunter didn't disappoint. Isaac is the character that seems to suffer the most in the series, first he was rejected and hurt by his fated witch, then subsequently forced bonded with a scumbag. To say Isaac is not looking forward to any relationship at all is an understatement. He don't even want to shift into his dog form. However, Bill is ever the patient man and waited for Isaac all these years. ...more
Ami
We have Bill Quigley and Isaac story!! I've wanted to read their story for a while now, and I'm so happy that it finally happened. Bill is such a DARLING -- I love his kindhearted soul. He's been crushing hard on Isaac since the first time, but Isaac standoffish behavior makes Bill thinks that Isaac doesn't like him. Isaac, on the other hand, thinks that he's broken, which is why he doesn't want to give in to his feeling towards the Detective.

I'm happy that it doesn't take long for Bill and Isaa
C.S. Poe
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Ever since Bill Quigley was introduced as Tom's copper best friend in Hexbreaker, I—and I suspected a great deal of other readers—have been waiting for this book. Bill has been a player in every major novel of the Hexworld series. He's been ready to put his well being and career on the line every time to help the Metropolitan Witch Police and their familiar counterparts, but his personal life has always remained elusive. Even when it became clear throughout the overarching plot that Bill had dev ...more
Steven
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A bit shell shocked. But in an absolutely wonderful way.

Jordan L Hawk has given their readers perhaps the darkest installment in the Hexworld series and it is glorious. Loss and hope and redemption. Rising to the challenge and fighting for the light that we often lose sight of.

The author doesn’t shy away from dragging their characters (or readers) into those blackened moments of utter despair but their is always those tiny, glinting sparkles that reflect some unseen light. Hawk makes us - and
Skirmish
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
Book Reaction: https://neverhollowed.com/2019/07/27/...
Rating: 4 Stars – minor quibbles but I loved it to bits
Achim
4.5
In this alternate NYC of the year 1900 the situation for familiars didn't change since we left Hexslayer. They are still in danger of force bonding by power hungry witches and treated like something more animal than human by the normal citizens. Nobody knows that better than Isaac who was nearly drained from his magic by an evil witch and was rescued nearly too late during the events of Hexbreaker. On the outside he survived and a lot of people suppose he's strong again and mostly processed t
Joyfully Jay
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Hexhunter is the fourth novel in Jordan L. Hawk’s fantastic Hexworld series. I feel like the further we go with this series, the more interesting and developed the world building becomes. I just love this world of witches and familiars and think Hawk is doing a fabulous job creating some really interesting series arcs, while still creating wonderful pairings and giving great romantic stories as well.

In Hexhunter, we get Bill and Isaac’s story. Each of these men ha
Calila
I really enjoyed this couple. Isaac is so heartbroken and broken. Bill's love is exactly what he needed to find the strength to make peace with and for himself. Bill doesn't "fix" him, but his support is important for Isaac. Bill has his own issues with self worth, though not as severe as Isaac's, and life has an interesting way of bringing their issues together so they both make peace and move on. I really liked how the personal aspects tied together. I'm getting a little more skeptical on all ...more
Alisa

Liked it but didn't love it.
Santy
I listened to this and loved it but its been months now... I'll re-listen and write a better review then! :)
Ulysses Dietz
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hexhunter (Hexworld 4)
BY Jordan L. Hawk
Published by the author, 2019
Five stars

I’m going to give this five stars, because I love the series and because this installment of Hawk’s Hexworld adventure lives up to the previous three. It made my heart pound, it brought tears to my eyes, and it created a world that lives up to my own imagination and real-world knowledge. This remarkable world, recognizably the turn-of-the-century New York where Teddy Roosevelt and the Gilded Age reign, is also a world
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Detective Bill Quigley first met Isaac, the mastiff familiar, the night Isaac was rescued from the witch who kidnapped and tormented him to force his magic for illegal uses. He’s head over heels for the quiet young man who works for MWP (Metropolitan Witch Police) but Isaac doesn’t seem to return his regard. In fact, Isaac seems quiet and withdrawn most of the time; definitely not someone who’d appreciate Bill’s advances. So when Sionn, the owl familiar who works with Isaac, asks Bill out, he ac ...more
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
Still Great!

I don’t have much new to say about this series. After 4 novel-length installments and 3 novellas/stories, I still love this series. I love the later 19th Century NYC setting, and the exploits and crime-solving of the NY MWP (Metropolitan Witch Police) staffed by witches and their animal-shifter familiars who enhance the magical powers of said witches. There is real detective/crime-solving activity, love story, bad guys and rivalry with the “other” police.

FYI, the introductory 53-page
Roger - president of NBR United -
Isaac, a mastiff familiar, and detective Bill Quigley have loved each since they first met. but think they are too broken to be loved. When children are missing and in danger they have to step it up and work together even if it means their secrets are exposed. What start with a murdered nun become another plot to take over the city/world with weird ancient hexes and help from old friends who are featured in their own stories in this series.
F.
Love this series!! A great buddy read with the girls. Glad Isaac found his dog again and managed to find his bondmate. It took awhile for our two damaged souls to work things out but thankfully love was born out of tragedy. Another fantastic book in the series that introduced new characters that one hopes mean another book!!
Hart_D
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every book in this series has been better than the last. This one has an intriguing slow-burn plot and a lovely slow-burn romance. Isaac and Bill are deeply in love before anything happens between them, and that doesn't change at any point. Misunderstandings have been important in the romance plots in this series before, but not in this book. These two are honest with each other at every point, and I loved their relationship. They're both very patient and respectful, which is exactly what they b ...more
Lisa
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved being back in this world. Bill finally gets it together with Isaac. I loved the fact that although this was their story, there were plenty of appearances by the other characters in the series.
This time the boys are teying to find orphans who had been taken to make into familiars.
Hoping there will be more from this world soon.
Helen Kord
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, arc, historical, fantasy
God, this book was beautiful.
I've been waiting for Isaac's story ever since he appeared in Hexbreaker and dear lord was it worth it. It was exactly what I hoped for for these two absolute sweethearts. It was a tale of love, honesty and reclamation; reclamation of your body and soul after years of abuse, reclamation of choice, reclamation of your life. When Isaac at one point says (view spoiler), I burst into tears in public.

The overall mystery of the series continue
Shelby
I do so love this series. This was no exception. Isaac and Bill were adorable together. I loved that Bill is so patient with Isaac and how he never wanted to push the familiar into anything he wasn't comfortable with. Of course Isaac's past is crazy and he's been through so much. You can't help but wish happiness for him and hope that he learns to love himself again. None of what happened to him was his fault. They were adorably cute together once they admitted their attraction to one another.

I
Heather C
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Isaac and Bill! A bit predictable but so happy to finally see them get their HEA.
Em
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall fine. I really liked the ending - not enough to bump it up to 4 stars, but a lot - but the first half or so dragged for me. I'd forgotten a bunch of previous Hexworld stuff that mattered, and it felt a bit tell-y. I also skimmed most of the sex scenes. Jordan writes great sex scenes, the prose was no issue, but most of them felt extraneous to me in this book. More "hey let's have a sex break" than anything that moved the characters forward.

It moved the overall Hexworld plot along quite
Ekollon
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, this book didn’t quite live up to my expectations. It’s possible that my expectations were just too high (I adore Hawk’s work in general, and I was looking forward to this book in particular), but I’m not sure.

I think part of my problem with this book is that Isaac recovered from his trauma in a way that didn't seem realistic to me. People absolutely deal with trauma in different ways, so it's not like he had to deal with it in any one way, but he went from not being able to tolerate touch t
Annika
Audiobook review

I’ve wanted to read, or rather listen to Isaac’s story ever since the first book in this series. I just wanted for him to find his happily ever after, to find love and acceptance after everything he went through.

It’s been almost three years since his capture and force bonding to an evil witch (and I mean that quite literally) but the wounds are still fresh. He still has nightmares and the memories are still too present. Trying to forget he’s even stopped shifting into his famil
Fritz42

I've wanted Isaac's story for a while now, so I was extremely excited to read this one. Time since Isaac's capture and release in Hexbreaker has been hard for him. Nightmares and memories plague him, and he is avoiding his mastiff form in hopes of being able to forget. He feels tainted in a number of ways, and that prevents him from reaching out to friends and to the man he really loves.

Bill Quigley is assigned a case of investigating the death of a nun. As the liaison between the cops
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Hexhunter (Hexworld 4) by Jordan L. Hawk 1 5 May 15, 2019 06:17AM

• Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Midnight Flit (The Carstairs Affairs, #2)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • Murder House (PsyCop, #10)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Two Rogues Make a Right (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #3)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Starcrossed (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
  • Proper English
  • Quill Me Now (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #1; Bad Valentine, #2)
  • Gentleman Wolf (Capital Wolves Duet, #1)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Mr. Winterbourne's Christmas (Winterbourne, #2)
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
  • Bitter Pill (PsyCop, #11)
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
Jordan L. Hawk is a trans author from North Carolina. Childhood tales of mountain ghosts and mysterious creatures gave him a life-long love of things that go bump in the night. When he isn’t writing, he brews his own beer and tries to keep the cats from destroying the house. His best-selling Whyborne & Griffin series (beginning with Widdershins) can be found in print, ebook, and audiobook. ...more

Hexworld (4 books)
  • Hexbreaker (Hexworld, #1)
  • Hexmaker (Hexworld, #2)
  • Hexslayer (Hexworld, #3)

News & Interviews