Start by marking “Shadowkeeper” as Want to Read:
Shadowkeeper

Shadowkeeper

Death can die as easily as any other man.

Cedra has kept her sister safe for years. None of that changes just because Pethra got herself kidnapped by Death himself.

Claiming the questionable aid of Death’s weary older brother, the Shadowkeeper, Cedra forces her way through mist and shadows in pursuit of her hapless sister. But Death wants much more than he has revealed.

A
ebook
Published by Writing in the Light Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Shadowkeeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowkeeper

Start your review of Shadowkeeper
Nicki Chapelway
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful and dark and slightly depressing but still beautiful tale!

I loved the premise. I'm always DOWN for retellings especially of myths. This book was also beautifully described, I could actually see what was going on.

My only complaint was that the world building was a little confusing. I was kind of just thrown in there with all of these terms and this world that I had no idea about and it was never explained. So I spent basically the first half of this book wondering what the heck
Elizabeth Dragina
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memorable
*drowns in a sea of tears*

It's a book about death. How terribly sad could it be?

I will never recover. Never. This book will forever remain in my memories burning away until all I have left to think about is how bittersweet that ending was. How terribly heartbreaking it was. How my very being was just splattered across the whole universe and I will never again be put together right, even if all my pieces are found.

The passion with which this book is told brings fierce feelings and much remorse.
Jane
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-edited
A mystical story with all the sibling relationships! It's so complex, despite being a novelette, and the concept is beautiful.

Absolutely looking forward to this one releasing.
Kate Willis
Rating and review to come closer to publication! Fascinating premise. ;)
Deborah O'Carroll
3.5 stars? Maybe? I DON'T EVEN KNOW. I HAVE FEELINGS.

Vivid, intense, fascinating. Though a little melancholy and dark for me and sort of sad, so I don't really know how I feel about it. I have so many feels. o.o

So I'm not sure I like it, in one sense, but I keep thinking about it, and I bet I should have known more about the mythology it's based on so that I would know what to expect. XD

While I'm not totally happy with how things turned out (aaahh!), I suppose it could have been way worse. XD
R.M. Archer
Hope Ann’s latest novella is arriving today, and I was privileged to get to read it ahead of time (which in no way affects my review). Shadowkeeper is inspired by the myth of Castor and Pollux and the story of Hades and Persephone, which is awesome in and of itself, but then you add in snarky, stubborn characters whose family means more to them than anything and it becomes even better.

The worldbuilding in this book is wonderful. It’s been good in the other two Hope Ann books I’ve read, too, but
Germaine
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Really good, much better than I expected. I loved the description and characters, but parts of it were confusing. I also think Halcion could have gone through a bit more development, but the end does hint at it, so that's satisfactory.

I think I'll be looking out for more of Hope's work in the future.
Hannah Brown
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all: the characters. Amazingly lifelike. I could feel their emotions and see their different personalities clearly.
Then she hits us with that ending. Not expecting that. LOVED it.
Definitely recommend if you like fantasy and retellings.
(And if you're sad and don't want to leave when you reach the last page, just start over ;) )
Maggie
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars.

Can we just take a second and drool over how beautiful that cover is? It's stunning! I love the creativity in it and the design, and I love how blue and dark and dreary it is!

Okay, now on to the review!

Shadowkeeper was a very interesting novella. I thought the world was creative and the characters were well developed even though the story was so short. The relationship between the sisters was really refreshing and very sweet, but also normal (as in the normal "if you do this thing I'm
Julian Daventry
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
So...mixed emotions about this one. I'm not a fan of "death" being portrayed, especially as I believe God Himself is the one holding the keys of Death. This is a fantasy world, however, not "real life" so things can be a bit different, I suppose. I enjoyed the siblings relationships and the themes of sacrifice. And the ending did give me some tears, I'll admit that. Would have liked a little more details on the rift and stoneweaving and all that, but all in all, it was a twisty, moving tale.
This is a good book with a good concept that could have been amazing it it were expanded and smoothed out a bit. The focus on sibling relationships was excellent, and the concept of Death and the Shadowkeeper is as well. That said, I felt a bit lost at times because things moved so quickly, and I semi-frequently got characters' names confused.
J.M. Jablowski
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. It was sadder than I thought it would be, but the world was really cool and I liked the sisters. I kind of wished Halcion did more, I wanted to see a little bit more from him, he still seemed a bit depressed by the end and I wanted more hope. It was there, I just wanted more.
I will say, I was a little confused by all the rift walking and rift talk. But I think I was able to understand well enough to understand the story.
I also somewhat expected a romance because of
Catwing Aka Hannah
*reaches behind her wings to pull out a sticker book* *flips it open to a page of star stickers* Here we are. *peals off four star stickers to stick on the book* I give it four stars. *nods*

Between Cedra’s determination to protect her sister, her sister wandering off to help people, and Shadowkeeper being all mysterious (What? I like mysterious characters.), it kept me wanting to know what happened next. The world, characters, and plot were well done. It had a good ending. I enjoyed it. *tries
Dawn Dagger
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you don't read this book, you're wrong.
Simply said.
Between the relationships, the amazing characters of each person, the magic and the cool implementation of it, Shadowkeeper and his scarf-y cuteness, this book is and has everything.
I absolutely love it, and it is one of the BEST books I've ever read.
It's gripping, I was literally gasping and shouting, that's how good it was.
Read it!
OH AND THE ENDING
THE ENDING IS SOOOOO GOOD
Hannah Brown
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Then she hits us with that ending. Not expecting that. LOVED it.
Definitely recommend if you like fantasy and retellings.
Elisabeth Wheatley
This was my first foray into the author’s work, though I’ve seen her around for a while. Well, my library holds were delayed, the cover looked cool and gosh darn it, I decided to take a chance. I was glad I did!

The worldbuilding:

I felt as if I were stepping into an established world with weather patterns and ice caps and migrating birds. If this isn’t a setting from another of the author’s series, highest marks there. At the same time, world building is why I rated it 4.5 stars instead of 5.
Naomi
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just wow! I was captured into the story by the first page! The dialogue between characters is so smooth, and I could actually imagine myself in the story observing it all. The ending was rather unexpected for me, yet still felt right. As a twin with a truly special bond with my sister, I totally related to the sisters in this story. Absolutely loved it!
Catherine McBride
Beautiful!!

I have no words to describe this story! The imagery, the characters, the world! It was so alive and so vivid I could not put it down! If you like fantasy at all, you must read this story. Right now. Don’t hesitate a moment, it’s more than worth it.
This will not be the last story I read by this author! She’s got me hooked for life!
Tessa
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This will be brief, as I have to go pretty soon.

PROS:
-Retold myths
-Interesting story
-Sibling bonds

CONS:
- I couldn't really follow the magic system.
-The end got a bit confusing. I dunno.

Overall a bittersweet story of siblings
Your Friendly Neighborhood INFP
Although short, with sibling dynamics and strong writing, Shadowkeeper is a great read. The way the rifts and starlight worked were really fascinating, as well as the concept of Death and the Shadowkeeper.

My rating’s now 5 stars instead of 4 because some of the bits I was confused by when I first read it have been changed.
Jan 29, 2019
Feb 02, 2019
LitAflame_Reviews
Feb 13, 2019

• To Best the Boys
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • Fairest Son
  • The Girl Who Steals Christmas (The Boy Who Steals Houses, #0.5)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • Curse and Consequence (The Whitby Tales, #1)
  • The Reluctant Godfather (The Tales of Ambia, #1)
  • How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems
  • Romanov
  • To Court a Queen
  • The Rise of the Wyrm Lord (The Door Within, #2)
  • Good Omens: Belas maldições
  • The Memory Thief
  • Mirrors and Pearls: A Retelling of Snow White
  • Retrieve (The Stormers Trilogy, #1)
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
  • A Winter Grim and Lonely (Winter Cursed, #0.5)
  • Heart of the Curiosity
Hope Ann likes to think herself a dragon-riding, griffin-taming founder of worlds and explorer of legends. Using chocolate, she bribes a wide ring of spies, from the realm leapers of Aslaria to the double agents of Elkbend, for their stories.

She thrives on frost, steel, and the tears of her readers which she secretly mixes into iced coffee. Deep in her hobbit hole, her actual life involves