Start by marking “Borges in 90 Minutes” as Want to Read:
Borges in 90 Minutes

Borges in 90 Minutes (Great Writers in 90 Minutes)

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Building on his enormously successful series of Philosophers in 90 Minutes, Paul Strathern now applies his witty and incisive prose to brief biographical studies of the world's great writers. He brings their lives and ideas to life in entertaining and accessible fashion. Far from being a novelty, each book is a highly refined appraisal of the writer and his work, authorita ...more
Published December 1st 2006 by Ivan R. Dee Publisher

To ask other readers questions about Borges in 90 Minutes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Borges in 90 Minutes

peiman-mir5 rezakhani
دوستانِ گرانقدر، این کتاب به زندگی و آثارِ نویسندهٔ آرژانتینی <بورخس> پرداخته است
--------------------------------------------
عزیزانم، <خورخه لوییس بورخس> در سالِ 1899 در بوئنوس آیرس، پایتخت آرژانتین، به دنیا آمد.... زمان جنگ جهانی اول، به همراه خانواده اش به سوئیس سفر کرد و در همان جا به مدرسه رفت و توانست به زبانِ انگلیسی و فرانسوی و آلمانی، بخواند و بنویسد... در سالِ 1921 بورخس به آمریکای جنوبی بازگشت و در آرژانتین به نوشتن و شعر گفتن پرداخت ... در سنِ 24 سالگی اولین دفترِ شعرش را
حسین
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
اگر این قدر کوتاه نبود پنج ستاره میدادم ...more
Foad
فکر می کنم بهتره آدم خودش اول با بورخس مواجه بشه، و بعد بره سراغ این کتاب.
کتاب خیلی خوبیه، خیلی اطلاعات خوبی داره راجع به زندگی بورخس، و همین طور آثار بورخس رو تفسیر هم کرده، که خیلی از تفسیرهاش رو من دوست نداشتم، و خلاف برداشتی بود که از بورخس دارم.
اما نکته ش اینه که اومده و خلاصۀ خیلی از داستان های بورخس رو تعریف کرده، و شاید همین باعث بشه قصه ها لو برن، و غرابت و شگفتی مواجهه با بورخس از بین بره.
به خاطر همین فکر می کنم بهتره این بعد از خوندن از خود بورخس، خونده بشه.
Crystal Marie
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Now I want to read more Borges! The book did not answer one important question. I want to know if Borges wrote any original pieces in English. I think the answer is no, but would like to know for certain. Since he grew up speaking both English and Spanish, I would love to find an original piece written in English! I had no idea that he spent time in Geneva as a child as well and had such fond memories of it. Now it makes more sense that he's buried there. Apparently he had clearer memories of Ge ...more
Sandys Nunes
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: borges, biografia
Ótima introdução a Borges e às suas principais obras.
Christopher Hellstrom
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Audio version.
William
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Honest and unbiased look into the life of the legendary Jorge Luis Borges.
Marcos Kopschitz
Se você vai ler Borges e não quer saber nada antecipadamente sobre enredos de seus contos, preferindo receber todo o impacto diretamente do texto, não leia este livro! Ele comenta algumas de suas principais obras e analisa alguns contos em mais detalhes, entregando a trama, ou seja, para usar o termo na moda, tem spoilers.

Mas se você já leu Borges, ou se começou a ler e está tão bem impressionado que se encontra até um pouco aturdido, nada melhor para situar a leitura!

Saber quem foi, o que penso
Tom
Jun 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Imagine my delight when I discovered the GSU library has an entire bookcase dedicated to Borges (also: 7 for Voltaire, 4 for Joyce, etc.) This was the shortest, so I pulled it out first. I'm going to have to take advantage of the bookcase while I'm still a student here.

The book itself offered a short biography and brief overview of some of his stories. I should go for one of the bigger biographies one of these days.
Billy Sheppard
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. Strathern delivers a pithy summary of the important dates and details, along with anecdotes and historical context, a timeline, and more. Great series, especially taken together as a long book of great thought and biography.
Maggie
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
again i find these 90 minutes on serious authors informative, succinct, and enjoyable. inevitably there are little known events in the author's life that shows up in these books. nice.
It took me seventy minutes to read.
Gilmara Mendes
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good to know a bit about Borges' life, his influences and his reasons.
Loved it.
Matt
Feb 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I listened to the audiobook version of [i] Borges in 90 Minutes [/i]. Borges is one of my favorites and the lecture was a nice mixture of discussions of literature and biography.
S.
Apr 01, 2015 added it
Apparently, Borges stuffed his first self-published poetry book into the coat pockets of the staff members at a literary magazine. It worked.

*Audio
James
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
I thought this basic introduction was much too critical of Borges's work.
Hope
Jan 01, 2018
Andrew
Mar 14, 2018
Alexandra Schae
rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2018
Feb 26, 2016
Cliff Jr.
Mar 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Paul Strathern (born 1940) is a British writer and academic. He was born in London, and studied at Trinity College, Dublin, after which he served in the Merchant Navy over a period of two years. He then lived on a Greek island. In 1966 he travelled overland to India and the Himalayas. His novel A Season in Abyssinia won a Somerset Maugham Award in 1972.

Besides five novels, he has also written nume
More about Paul Strathern

Great Writers in 90 Minutes (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Beckett in 90 Minutes